Tiled to GameMaker?

Phil Strahl

I just gave Tiled a go and editing tile maps with it is much more intuitive than with the clunky room editor. So I started work on a tool that lets you convert Tiled files to tilemaps in the room editor (all placed objects and other room settings are retained).

I think I am not the first one to create such a tool, and I might be reinventing the wheel here. I don't mind the useless work when doing it just for myself, as long as I've learned something when I'm done.

But if there's some general interest in such a tool, I will put some more time and effort in in making it a bit less clunky.

A

Alessio

To overcome GM's Room editor's limitations i just treat tiles like just a "collection" of "assets" you can select everytime you need them. I've realized it's surprisingly handy. A mixure of a "sonic" fashion (Sonic's game tiles placed on map are 256x256 of size) and in a "Unity" one (want a tree? A building? A fence? Make a selection and put that in the map directly.
I agree, though, that the Room Editor of Game Maker could be better. I tried Construct 2's layout Editor (the equivalent of the Room Editor in GM) and is definitely superior, heck, it also supports parallax scrolling for more accurate and better-looking levels!
I wish GM had it already implemented in the engine.

I know a "Tiled to GameMaker" tool has been already made but i read in the Tiled's website that the tool's author wants to make add a Game Maker support to it.

M

Mr_E

I would definitely find an up to date converter extremely useful!

There are a couple out there, but I believe they have a few issues now, due to their age.