GM:S 1.4 tile_layer_hide and tile_layer_show

Discussion in 'Legacy GameMaker Community Tech Support' started by DividingByZero, Mar 11, 2019.

1. DividingByZero

DividingByZero Member

Hey all, quick question about how I am doing something. I am currently trying to animate some tiles in a background, so I have a two layers that I am stacking my frames of animation. I then have an object that basically cycles through tile_layer_hide and tile_layer_show for the top most of the layers.

It seems to work well, no performance issues I can detect.

My question is: Is there any problem with doing it this way I am not aware of?

Like hidden performance issues, compatibility issues, etc... Or maybe there is just a better way to do it.

Thanks!

2. DividingByZero

DividingByZero Member

Well, I am not marking as 'solved', but I have been using this method now for a few days of dev - added some more toggling layers as well and all seems well. So, unless I hear otherwise - it seems like a legit solution.

3. BaBiA Game Studio

BaBiA Game Studio Member

Edit: removed by me, as I didn't realise this was a 1.4.
    :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 7:55 PM
  4. DividingByZero

DividingByZero Member

Heh... yeah, I was hoping there was a more elegant solution in 1.4. Another good reason to upgrade to 2, which I will do eventually.