• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX tile_layer_find compatibility script abysmally slow?

bsabiston

My game is running after importing from 1.4, but I notice (on the Mac, at least), that when I have a decent number of sprites in my world (between 60 and 100?), the game quickly slows to a crawl. I mean it drops to like 1 frame per second as my player steps. I profiled it and it looks like the culprit may be this 'tile_layer_find' compatibility script.

Why would this slow it down so much? In GMS 1.4 I know that function was supposed to be slow, but it never caused problems. I don't have a very complicated game. The problem does not seem to happen on iOS at all. I'm trying to test it on Windows but I can't even get GMS2 to launch in windows LOL.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
It's a compatibility script for something that GMS2 no longer does natively like 1.4. 1.4 tiles in 2 are not at all optimised and will always be very slow due to the "hacks" required to get them to work at all. So, it's not really meant for a final production game, but as a helper to get your old 1.4 game up and running in 2. As such you should be looking to swap out all compatibility scripts for the far more optimised GMS2 tiles.

bsabiston

I understand that, but I think it is something else. As I say, it runs fine on iOS and Windows. My Mac is a lot more powerful than either of those.

Also from what I understand, tiles in GMS2 must be powers of two in size? Mine are not, so I am not sure I can use the new tile system.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
If it's ONLY on MAc that you get the issue, then consider filing a bug report for it and include a link to a YYZ of the project (file > export).