GML Tile secrets like in new super mario bros

C

Christian Game Maker

I'm new to these forums. And this is my first post. Let me make it clear that I am not a programmer. I don't know much about code. Actually, I don't really know any code. Please post as if I am advanced because this is for a friend of mine who does know GML code.

A friend of mine by the name of Ting Thing, (he is a memeber of these forums,) is a game developer. He develops a program called, "Platform Builder." I am wanting to ask about information on what it would take to add a certain feature to Platfrom Builder. Understand first that Platform Builder is not a game, but a game maker made with game maker. I use it to create games. Platform Builder can do all sorts of things without the code. One thing I want added to it is a way to add special tilesets that when the player object goes near/under, the tileset pieces form a circle that unhides the tilesets. Simply, an object that when the player goes through, it fades out. But as the charcter moves, (note: we're talking about sidescrollers!) the tileset objects become transparent. And these tiles are (I think) on a layer above the characters layer. And the tilesets are not solid. If you are familliar with New super mario bros games (like wii, wii u, 2, ds,) then you should be familliar with this gaming concept. Mario can go through tilesets and discover secrets. My friend was wanting to do the reasearch, but I wanted to help. Hopefully he won't mind me posing this. I hope this isn't considered advertising, but you game maker users should give Platform Builder a try! It may not be with unlimited features, but still, it's great to use! And it's made with game maker, and on steam! So, I hope someone knows how to help me...

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
I can't say I understand what you're asking... Is Platform Builder an engine made with GMS2?
If you are curious about a problem with it, why don't you ask Ting Thing himself?
Because we don't know anything about the code in the platform builder engine, so we can't show you home to make secret tiles, since there are many different ways to do it, depending on which engine you're using.

C

Christian Game Maker

Thanks for replying! Platform Builder is an engine made with Game Maker studio 2. The developer doesn't really know how. He said he would do research, but I wanted to help out. Maybe he'll post here.

C

Christian Game Maker

At least a couple of methods might help. Just keep in mind it's a 2D sidescroller.

S

spoonsinbunnies

well if you want something super close to the Mario series, shaders would be your best bet as you can easily draw all but a circular area around the character, how to do that with shaders is way past something I can explain but if you look at most lighting examples they do exactly this except the blank spot is around the light, Another way to do it albeit less fancy, would be to add a bunch of little pieces and make visibility false when the character hits an invisible trigger, this would more or less make the whole hidden space visible when the player walks in the room but honestly might be easier for not having to learn shaders, depending on your friends comfort level. Hope this general explanation helps.

C

Christian Game Maker

I assume he knows shaders because in the game credis it mentions shaders. I prefer a circle. Like a surface. Is there any other way to do it with a circle?

N

nickvm98

I know a way using layers in GMS2, just write some code to make the false tileset layer invisible. Can't remember at the top of my head. But good luck for previous versions as they might not have layers. The key to the solution for this problem is with the tileset since its what you are using as the graphical aspect of your level design. You can also use objects but that is performance suicide.

*Edit: Just thought of a way using draw_sprite, just draw part of the sprite over the hidden area.*

C

Christian Game Maker

Thank you! Will that make a circle around the character? I'm passing this info on to my friend to let you know...

C

Christian Game Maker

Oh, and it is being created with the latest updates of GMS2.