• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker Tile Layer Scrolling Woes and Possible Layer Issues?

This one is a bit of a doozy...

Context:
I already made an object that builds tile patterns the size of each screen according to my own procedurally-generated algorithm (seedvalue/modulus). The screens are then scrolled through the viewport to produce the illusion of continual movement so that I don't have a repetitive Flintstones-style background. I've accomplished this by creating a tile layer (global.groundLayer)

On top of this lovely tile setter object, I have my enemy wave generator and player object. These are all set to 'room01' using a creation code:
Code:
instance_create_layer(camera_get_view_x(view_camera[0]) + room_width/2, camera_get_view_y(view_camera[0]) + 192, global.groundLayer, objPlayerTS);
instance_create_layer(x, y, global.groundLayer, objPlayerInterface1);
instance_create_layer(0, 0, global.groundLayer, objWaveGenerator);
The objTileSetter object is placed in the room on its own, not within the creation code. The reasoning behind this is it has the code to create the global.groundLayer within the 'Create' event.

Code:
//This sets the layer
global.groundLayer = layer_create(-1);

//This sets the tilemap
global.groundTilemapSand = layer_tilemap_create(global.groundLayer, 0, 0, tsColorBlock, (room_width/16), (room_height/16));
Right now I have it set so that whenever the player hits 'enter' at the title screen, it jumps immediately to room01. This isn't the final intent, but part of the testing process.

rmTitleMenu > room01

Issue: The MAIN menu has all the options such as arcade, original, stats, controls, etc.
When I configure it like this:

rmTitleMenu > mainMenu > room01

The tile setter doesn't work correctly at all! It scrolls just fine but I can no longer see the player object nor the interface. It's like all the depths have gone completely out of control.

I've been carefully documenting my troubleshooting steps and each time I think I am making headway, another setback occurs and I have no other resolution than to toss everything into the garbage and open the latest working version.

Although I'll continue trekking forward with my troubleshooting, I fear I may have totally missed a concept regarding layer order or how to consistently set them. Furthermore, I'd like to correct a few presumable knowledge gaps if anyone would be so gracious as to point me in the right direction.

Very much appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited: