• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM thunder strikes falling from above

S

sravitheja01

i am making a game which is kinda top-down shooter ( pokemon-ish) with a magic theme and i am making a boss level where a massive wizard strikes with a thunder on player location . can someone provide me advice regarding how to make random single thunder strike on player location.

Tthecreator

Your Creator!
Before you start about how to spawn and where, you first have to make the effect.
This all has to do with art and stuff. Look at others and how they did their thunder.
What you'd probably end up doing is making a sprite containing an animation and playing that.
Maybe also put a black square with lower alpha over the screen to give some more effect.
Besides that, it's all in the art. (unless of course you want to procedurally generate it but that's on a whole different level)

S

sravitheja01

thanks for the reply
i have made the thunder sprite with the animation :) , and most of the tutorials i have seen are random spawn, is there any way i can spawn it on the player location so he can dodge and do stuff. i am kinda new to this..but determined , i have read through the basic stuff , hope u can understand.

Geoff Jones

thanks for the reply
i have made the thunder sprite with the animation :) , and most of the tutorials i have seen are random spawn, is there any way i can spawn it on the player location so he can dodge and do stuff. i am kinda new to this..but determined , i have read through the basic stuff , hope u can understand.
lightning = instance_create(obj_player.x, obj_player.y, obj_lightning)
using it as a variable will allow you to then do things with that variable.

you could set up an alarm so that it strikes the player 1 second after an initial flash maybe?

use instance_create_layer if using gms2.0

S

sravitheja01

lightning = instance_create(obj_player.x, obj_player.y, obj_lightning)
using it as a variable will allow you to then do things with that variable.

you could set up an alarm so that it strikes the player 1 second after an initial flash maybe?

use instance_create_layer if using gms2.0
yes it works thank you