Thoughts on my GUI

Xer0botXer0

Senpai
Hi guys,

What do you guys think about this menu design ?
You select the category, then the skills populate, then the levels populate followed by a description and such based on that selection ?

There will be a theme overlay later but looking at the core mechanics now..

Is it a good design or should I try again ?

upload_2020-2-19_15-2-55.png

otterZ

Positive: The mechanics / plan looks solid. Looking at this from a player's point of view it is intuitive and easy to navigate (in my mind).
Constructive criticism: For some reason the 'Register' button bugs me, I'd prefer 'Upgrade' or something else - as 'register' sounds dull. I would also (as a player) not like there to be a separate +- button (as in the one in the bottom left hand corner) as I would like to click with the mouse directly on the level buttons instead - maybe they could highlight into a different colour or have a check mark next to them or padlocks to unlock or something like that. 'Prestige Points' sounds great for a game which centres around magic, politics or witchcraft, but if it is real life skills I'd prefer a different word. The 'Confirm' button I like just as it is.

Hope this helps in some way. I gave feedback on the wording there, but I am aware that the wording is probably just placeholder wording as you are no doubt focusing on the mechanics of the menu design right now, instead of precise wording, a theme or art design. Overall, it looks good.

Xer0botXer0

Senpai
Thanks OtterZ,

So perhaps a single click on a skill level to view it's information and double click to upgrade it.
If in the registration progress (which this is) I show players that the game does incorporate double click that would open up a new avenue for interactivity.. instead of having to find fancy ways of interacting I could just add a double click. Perhaps for movement, click once to walk, double click to run!

So I've to say your feedback is great. I have taken a second look at prestige points, and it's actually just the term used from a game I used to enjoy. I'll think of a more relevant term.

otterZ

Thanks OtterZ,

So perhaps a single click on a skill level to view it's information and double click to upgrade it.
If in the registration progress (which this is) I show players that the game does incorporate double click that would open up a new avenue for interactivity.. instead of having to find fancy ways of interacting I could just add a double click. Perhaps for movement, click once to walk, double click to run!

So I've to say your feedback is great. I have taken a second look at prestige points, and it's actually just the term used from a game I used to enjoy. I'll think of a more relevant term.
That sounds great. In my mind's eye I was picturing hovering my mouse pointer over a level button which brings up an information box ([mouse enter and a sprite/image is drawn and mouse exit making it disappear] - elsewhere on the screen and not covering the buttons) and with one click I can enable that skill level.

As a player I would be even more impressed if the button and the information box were in black and white at first, but when I enable the skill both of them are lit up in colour and stay in colour - perhaps with a short sound effect to it.

Wishing you the best of success with your game. I think it's a great idea to post up ideas for constructive feedback.

Xer0botXer0

Senpai
Yes ofcourse I haven't added animated buttons yet, but the text and the button will light up for those skills that are learnt!
I'm liking this idea of having a popup, I will be working with popups but for other things. maybe I'll do a revisit on this GUI in regards to popups.

I haven't put this GUI into play yet, amped to get that far over the weekend.

Oh and I never think about sound effects, I feel like adding sound is one of the last things I'll add to the game since I'd have to hire someone to make the effects or teach myself.