• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows This is what your new user experience looks like right now, as of 2017-08-24

Well... I've only really used GM:S. I did some stuff in GM8, but it was before I was doing anything complicated. And I have no context for how how long it takes to load stuff, nor do I really care that much, not to mention, loading/compiling times are kind of separate from bugs in the sense that you can have slow loading times and it still works perfectly. Also, I do know that loading times are very affected by the quality of your computer. IDK if you have an old computer or a new computer, but it seems to be working fine on mine.

Albeit, I have been very lucky too. :)

EDIT: ^^^

rIKmAN

You must be blessed beyond belief.
I even found many GM8 bugs, just opening GM:Studio already is the clunkiest thing I've ever seen. Takes at least 15 seconds to get started on a project, at least 5 seconds every time I need the manual (lmao I could probably code a more optimized IDE in GM8).

And every time you run the game... the compile time is insane..
Alright, I guess these are mostly personal preference, that I want a fast, light weight IDE, but still =P
None of those are bugs.
The IDE isn't perfect (1.4 even less so), but it sounds more like you are using a slower machine or have large projects.

S

SSJCoder

None of those are bugs.
I don't use GM:Studio, I can't be bothered looking for its bugs =P

"but it sounds more like you are using a slower machine or have large projects"

Not the case, GM8 opens in 3 seconds, runs immediately, FL Studio 12 runs fine, no problems whatsoever, fast speed and everything.

I only have to create 1 instance, and run the game, and the compile time is already well over 10 seconds.

S

SSJCoder

So why are you complaining about bugs from an older version of Gm that isn't supported.
I'm not complaining about the bugs in GM8, I just know that GM8 is far more reliable than GM:Studio, and in that I already found bugs. Should I bother looking in it? Have I not better things to do? one look at Studio and I know it's not for me

E

Edmanbosch

I'm not complaining about the bugs in GM8, I just know that GM8 is far more reliable than GM:Studio, and in that I already found bugs. Should I bother looking in it? Have I not better things to do? one look at Studio and I know it's not for me
Are you saying that GMS 1 has many bugs, or are you talking about GM8?

S

SSJCoder

Are you saying that GMS 1 has many bugs, or are you talking about GM8?
I have GMS 2 (trial).
GM8 has bugs yes, but few and very hard to find.
GMS 2.0 I'm sure has many bugs/issues, but I haven't used it for more than just making a small networking project, or scripting a few things.

rIKmAN

I don't use GM:Studio, I can't be bothered looking for its bugs =P
Then why are you even posting in this thread?
Not the case, GM8 opens in 3 seconds, runs immediately, FL Studio 12 runs fine, no problems whatsoever, fast speed and everything.
GM8 requires 128mb RAM and a 32Mb graphics card.
FL Studio 12 requires a Pentium 4 and 1GB RAM.

I would guess the reason they run so well is because of how old they are and how low their required system specs are.
I had a P4 in the late 90's / early 2000's (IIRC) - that's how old those specs are.

Although the GMS required specs aren't that demanding either, a lot more is going on under the hood than in GMS8, which is why you see slower compile times, and slower loading of the IDE.

What are your system specs?

S

SSJCoder

Then why are you even posting in this thread?
To share my opinion, and to point out the fact that GM:Studio isn't the most reliable of things, though it be popular.

What are your system specs?
4GB ram, 64 Bit windows 7, Intel Core Duo CPU P8600 @2.40 GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 cores, 2 logical processors, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 graphics adapter with 256 MB dedicated memory.

If I were to compare it to say, Photoshop CS6, well.. Photoshop CS6 actually runs faster =P
It has a long start up time also, but once it's started, it's fast.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
The difference in compile times from GM8 and Studio 1 and 2 is because the process isn't exactly the same.
For gm8, it tacks all of your unobfuscated code into an exe and runs it.
Studio 1 and 2 actually obfuscates code, and has options for native compilation, so of course it takes longer.

rIKmAN

To share my opinion, and to point out the fact that GM:Studio isn't the most reliable of things, though it be popular.

4GB ram, 64 Bit windows 7, Intel Core Duo CPU P8600 @2.40 GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 cores, 2 logical processors, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 graphics adapter with 256 MB dedicated memory.

If I were to compare it to say, Photoshop CS6, well.. Photoshop CS6 actually runs faster =P
It has a long start up time also, but once it's started, it's fast.
Your opinion is pointless when you don't even use the product you are giving an opinion on - which is exactly what you said.

I would say your problem is using a low to mid range laptop with a Core2Duo and 4GB RAM.
Windows will take ~2GB of that, the onboard GPU is possibly taking some system RAM to use as extra video ram, other programs open too etc

Combination of all those factors = less than perfect performance when using anything that requires some processing power.

Stick to GM8 if that suits you better, but no need to 💩💩💩💩 on GMS when (a) you say you don't even use it and (b) the slower speed is caused by your hardware specs and (c) because you are comparing it's performance to 8yr old software with way lower required hardware specs and way less features.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Anyone complaining about GMS performance for all but the most extreme projects probably just don't know what they are doing...

Seriously is solme people where to port their game to c++ from GAL they would still have poor performance due to their bad programming.
There's no secret you need to learn some computer science.

This is comming from someone whjo complains about many aspects of GM...

At any rate, this isn't a thread about complaining, or complaining about complainers, or anything of the sort. Unless anyone else has suggestions, we're all better off waiting until the OP responds with more information on his problem. ;)

S

SSJCoder

Worth pointing out that the performance issues I talk about are purely in the IDE, rather than the application itself.
Your opinion is pointless when you don't even use the product you are giving an opinion on - which is exactly what you said.
Should I engulf my hands in a garbage can, so I can feel how filthy it is?
One look and I don't need to touch it.

I would say your problem is using a low to mid range laptop with a Core2Duo and 4GB RAM.
Well apparently my PC can run all programs that I need, but GM:Studio can't even load a help file without taking 5 seconds.
Of course it needs higher specs, because the developers didn't have the algorithms to optimize the engine.

I can guarantee you even an IDE for 3D development will run fine, yet GM:Studio will stumble, and stutter, just because it's 'modern' doesn't mean we can excuse all its performance issues, on the contrary, modern should be even more optimized (apparently something foreign in the world today, oh we have so much more memory than 5 years go, let's just not optimize, let's just be careless and just use it all up!).

Stick to GM8 if that suits you better
Yeah, it's what I've been doing.

because you are comparing it's performance to 8yr old software with way lower required hardware specs and way less features.
If being old is what it takes to have high quality software, then so be it.

Last edited:

rIKmAN

Should I engulf my hands in a garbage can, so I can feel how filthy it is?
One look and I don't need to touch it.
Are you seriously comparing looking into a bin to using an IDE used to create games?

When you can tell me how well an IDE will run, and what it is actually doing "under the hood" just by looking at it then I'll listen.
For now, I'm out because you are just being silly and taking this thread Off Topic with ridiculousness.

Stick to GMS8, that's fine, and means there is no need for you to troll post in this thread in which OP has a problem with GMS (which you don't use).

W

WarpZone

I had to increase to around 20 to get smooth motion on my dev box.
I couldn't see any difference on my end, so I think I'm gonna err on the side of RTFM on this one and leave it at 10, for now.

Good to know about the command-line parameters. So when my game comes out, I need to tell my end-users how to do that if it doesn't run well on their computer, right?

2drealms

I couldn't see any difference on my end, so I think I'm gonna err on the side of RTFM on this one and leave it at 10, for now.
Yep, its system dependant. My old machine was fine at 10, this newer, more powerful machine now needs 20.

gnysek

I tried using the 1.4 code in 2.0 but it didn't work. Think it might have been the var keyword, not sure.
Except of instance_create() 99,9% of code should work, and if not it would show you where error is, with exact line and place in code. Probably this example also won't work for you in 1.4 then as you must have some other mistakes :)

GMWolf

aka fel666
let's just not optimize, let's just be careless and just use it all up!).
Nah, we just use a lot more acceleration structures these days, is all.

Also, GMS2 boots up faster than other IDEs for me (inteliJ, for instance).
My only beef with IDE performance is the lock ups we get after saving a resource. For some reason that's super slow, and won't allow you to edit anything else.
Why will remain a mystery but I'm willing to guess it's because of the useless yyp file