This Game Could Save Lives

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
Huh. That's pretty cool! I hope to one day use the story of my games to warn people about bad ideologies, as well as promote my own philosophy. Though before I do that, I have to be absolutely sure what those are. Lol. I want to play this game. It sounds fun.

I think I just had one of those ideas. You know those LCD picture frames? Imagine one that hangs on your wall, designed for someone with Alzheimer's Disease or Dementia.

Throughout the day, it'll automatically shuffle between:
  • The date/time
  • Who the president (or equivalent) is
  • Photos of your family/children with their names
  • Recent events that can be programmed by their caretakers
  • Recent world events
  • A periodic reminder of what disease you have
  • Etc.
My grandfather had Alzheimer's and in the later stages - he would check a paper calendar on the wall 20-30 times a day (unable to retain the information.) If someone in the early stages hung this device in their home (in a prominent location) I believe that it could help them tremendously as the disease progresses. This idea came to me because my dad was watching 50 First Dates when I walked downstairs a few moments ago... I'm going to start working on it in my spare time. Anyone who wants to help is welcome, but I'll figure it out one way or the other.

Throughout your careers, ask yourself "can I use my art to make the world a better place" often, and you just might. If you think you're onto something, post it here. Your idea may inspire more ideas.

Last edited:
looks like a waste of time with a pretty name.
I'm not sure that I follow you, zendraw. What sounds like a "waste of time with a pretty name?" The game which can detect a mental disorder early on - or my hair-brained idea to create a "quality of life improvement" for people with the same disorder? I can only hope that you're referring to Roa's comment here.

Edit: I'd hate for this thread to disintegrate any further, so I won't be responding to anymore posts like Roa's... but I encourage anyone who'd like to participate in the discussion I originally proposed to jump in at their whim. Together we can make the world a better place. I truly believe that.

Last edited:
M

Mobie

I think I just had one of those ideas. You know those LCD picture frames? Imagine one that hangs on your wall, designed for someone with Alzheimer's Disease or Dementia.

Throughout the day, it'll automatically shuffle between:
  • The date/time
  • Who the president (or equivalent) is
  • Photos of your family/children with their names
  • Recent events that can be programmed by their caretakers
  • Recent world events
  • A periodic reminder of what disease you have
  • Etc.
My grandfather had Alzheimer's and in the later stages - he would check a paper calendar on the wall 20-30 times a day (unable to retain the information.) If someone in the early stages hung this device in their home (in a prominent location) I believe that it could help them tremendously as the disease progresses. This idea came to me because my dad was watching 50 First Dates when I walked downstairs a few moments ago... I'm going to start working on it in my spare time. Anyone who wants to help is welcome, but I'll figure it out one way or the other.

Throughout your careers, ask yourself "can I use my art to make the world a better place" often, and you just might. If you think you're onto something, post it here. Your idea may inspire more ideas.
I know this post is almost a year old, but I just ran across it. Your LCD picture frame sounds like a great idea. Did you ever follow up on it?

I know this post is almost a year old, but I just ran across it. Your LCD picture frame sounds like a great idea. Did you ever follow up on it?
No, I haven't. I wouldn't even know where to start prototyping it. Raspberry pi perhaps? Do you have any thoughts on this? By the way, thank you so much for the bump, and your kindness. This comment absolutely made my day.

Edit: It just occurred to me that the path of least resistance would be to purchase an LCD Picture Frame and simply load some pictures (with captions) into it manually. No programming or fancy hardware required. I'll get one off of Amazon tonight and start editing some pictures. :cool:

It's a start anyway.

Last edited:
M

Mobie

No, I haven't. I wouldn't even know where to start prototyping it. Raspberry pi perhaps? Do you have any thoughts on this? By the way, thank you so much for the bump, and your kindness. This comment absolutely made my day.

Edit: It just occurred to me that the path of least resistance would be to purchase an LCD Picture Frame and simply load some pictures (with captions) into it manually. No programming or fancy hardware required. I'll get one off of Amazon tonight and start editing some pictures. :cool:

It's a start anyway.
My dad is 92 and often forgets it's me he is talking to, so that product might help people like him. It would also help elderly people who are not that bad off mentally, just to remember people and places, even though they are capable. Glad I made your day...that makes my day!

Just came across this. The sentiment and your conviction are admirable, but on the practical side of things, for the objective in mind, perhaps a bit too ambitious.

This is just my opinion on this and shouldn't really mean much, but just imagining how a GM Studio made application could serve a medical function (indirectly perhaps) is quite difficult to imagine. Maybe you have something concrete in your mind.

Still, if something like this came to fruition, and practically served it's purpose, that'd simply be amazing.

M

Mobie

I don't think the LCD picture frame idea has anything to do with GMS. Correct me if I'm wrong.

woods

I don't think the LCD picture frame idea has anything to do with GMS. Correct me if I'm wrong.

use GMS to create something like a LCD picture frame.. only with a little bit more/better

maybe not the traditional use for a game making platform.. but still a thoughtful and heartfelt idea ;o)