• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Thing's that need to be addressed in GMS: 2 (Opinion)

B

Big_Macca_101

Hey guys, I've loved using Gamemaker for a fair few years now because it made developing for multiple platforms very very easy.

But, there are some things that I feel really should be addressed when it comes to GMS.

1. Don't add things that aren't multi platform supported (EG: get_open_filename functions)
2. Keep all functions functioning the same on each platform (file_find being able to find directories on all platforms)
3. Give all platforms the same amount of support and attention (Windows and mac get lots of attention where UWP and linux get next to nothing)

These are just a couple things I could think of and I know there are reasons behind these sorts of things but thought it can't hurt to put out an opinion!

Gamebot

Every time I run GMS 2, I run away from it and go back to my Master Collection 1.47772. I'm still new to 2 and I'm sure it will just take time to get to know it better. Here are my thoughts on why I don't use it currently.

1. Nodals

You have to use them in Blender ect... drives me nuts! To me seeing wires all over the place is like a plate of spaghetti. Why not just connect the boxes together in a sub menu fashion with arrows? Keep it all together without the extra mess please!

2. Workspace

What the??? It seems like a waste of time to have to always scroll / move the mouse around to get to where you need to go. Unless you zoom way out in which I can't read a darn thing! So zooming in is the only option for me. Which brings me to number 3.

3. Code editors / text

Hard to read the code in the editor and text in general. It seems pixilated and unclear even with F8 / zoom in.

4. Code Changes

Always, always changing the code. Take out this, add that, new functions to do this. Went through it with from 8.0 to GMS 1. Do it again? I don't mind but this will take time.

5. Image editor

I have seen some decent newer tuts that explain how to use it to our advantages. I will admit I'm not be quite familiar with it as I should be...however the placement of where everything is seems scattered. Go to the top right for this, bottom left...oh now scroll to find what you need. It would be nice if it was all just in one place.

Okay I'm done ranting. :D

Get rid of file manipulation functions on Windows because the functions don't work on .001% marketshare Linux? No thanks, haha. Please don't give YoYo any more ideas like that. :p

B

Big_Macca_101

Get rid of file manipulation functions on Windows because the functions don't work on .001% marketshare Linux? No thanks, haha. Please don't give YoYo any more ideas like that. :p
Never said to remove the function, was more of don't add future functions that are platform specific aside from 100% platform specific like the UWP target, and I dont mean just for linux (6.4% market share ;-D) but add it for Android, Mac and Linux, having simple things like that defeats the point of having gamemaker being a 'Multiplatform exporter' if most platforms can't do something

get_open_filename now works (in the next public release) on Mac and if someone tells me how to do it in a cross platform way I will add it for Linux as well.
Thank you thank you thank you!!!! Double Like if possible! Been hoping for this one!