Alpha There Will Be Ink - Tactical Action Shooter w. Local Co-op

Brodie

Hello there!

There Will Be Ink is a tactical action game for 1-4 players. Play solo or with friends in 4 player battles between stick figure armies on a paper notepad, just like you used to draw in class instead of paying attention! Here is a short trailer showing some gameplay:

Features:

• Fast-paced action gameplay with tactical elements
  • Unlock new recruit types as you play, including assault infantry, snipers, medics, RPG troops, and heavy machine gunners
  • Full featured map editor – lay out a battlefield and jump straight into the action
  • Join a battle in progress for 4 player local co-op or vs. modes (requires XBOX gamepad or x360ce)
  • Navigate dynamic battlefields, wading across rivers and taking cover behind trees, rocks, sandbags, and craters left behind in the chaos
  • Compensate for environmental effects like rain, wind, and smoke rising from burning buildings and trees
  • Earn training credits to assign new abilities to your troops
An early build of the game can be downloaded for free on itch.io: https://summitfever.itch.io/there-will-be-ink

There Will Be Ink is in active development and it is my first game, so any constructive feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ridiculously cool. I've had an idea for a turn-based RPG with a similar aesthetic. This has a lot of polish, especially for your first game. I love the little details, especially the shaking of the trees. Also, glad to hear there will be local multiplayer. I have two quick thoughts on your map editor:

1) It would be cool if you were placing objects on a piece of graph paper, since (I would assume) object placement is probably grid-based.
2) The minute I read map editor, I pictured a Looney Tunes-style hand drawing in objects as they're placed. Just a thought.

Good luck with this. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Brodie

Ridiculously cool. I've had an idea for a turn-based RPG with a similar aesthetic. This has a lot of polish, especially for your first game. I love the little details, especially the shaking of the trees. Also, glad to hear there will be local multiplayer. I have two quick thoughts on your map editor:

1) It would be cool if you were placing objects on a piece of graph paper, since (I would assume) object placement is probably grid-based.
2) The minute I read map editor, I pictured a Looney Tunes-style hand drawing in objects as they're placed. Just a thought.

Good luck with this. I'm looking forward to seeing more.
Cool, thanks! I think this aesthetic could work well for a lot of genres. Initially I felt like maybe it was a cop out for learning to do "real" art (or hiring an artist), but I kind of like it and really there's room for all sorts of styles. I'm glad you noticed the trees. I'd like to expand the terrain variation a lot more to add to the atmosphere.

1) Placement is actually on a pixel-by-pixel basis, but I do have plans to add other paper types (graph, blank, etc), perhaps as unlockable customization options (along with customizing team colours).
2) Cool idea! Since I started on the project I've wanted to have something similar at the beginning of battles, where a hand (or pen at least) comes in and quickly draws everything on the map. I'm not sure how quickly it would lose its novelty, but I suppose I could have it disabled in the options. At any rate, it's on the to-do list.

Thanks again for the feedback! It is much appreciated.