Steam There Will Be Ink - Out Now On Steam Early Access!

Brodie

Hey there folks!

My first commercial release, There Will Be Ink, is now out on Steam Early Access! Check out the EA release trailer here:

TWBI seeks to emulate battles between stick figure armies doodled on a lined paper notepad, just like you used to draw in class instead of paying attention!

If the game seems like it might interest you, check it out on Steam or itch.io (includes a Steam key, *wink) for more info, and please help spread the word!

Cheerio!

curato

cool idea I would see I could get the marker effect like selected character and target area as well as smoke effects to look hand draw as well.

Brodie

cool idea I would see I could get the marker effect like selected character and target area as well as smoke effects to look hand draw as well.
Thanks for the feedback. I've thought about a similar aesthetic for effects and GUI items as well. I'd like to keep things clear while maintaining a consistent theme, so perhaps I'll try out such changes in the future. Cheers!

Brodie

And a game update, why not!

First off, thank you to everyone who has checked out There Will Be Ink! Thank you also to those who have provided feedback. It is much appreciated. TWBI is still 20% off until tomorrow (Friday) at 10AM PST.

There is new game update available featuring some tweaks around co-op play, a new campaign mission, a new ability, some new game options, and a few bug fixes and other tweaks. Check out the full changelog below!

New Features
  • Campaign Map: The Retreat
  • Unit Ability: Athletics – increases stamina regeneration by 30% for all units
  • Added two new options to the options menu:
    • HQ Ability Deployment: Can be cycled to be manual/player-controlled (default) or automatic
    • Super Powerups: On by default, but can be disabled in order to remove balance-tipping powerups, like the T-Rex
  • Added “longest kill streak” to end-of-match stats
  • Added a new crater variation
Changes & Enhancements
  • HQ icons display in player colour when player is in the HQ
  • Exiting a battle (Esc or select/back on gamepad) now destroys all friendly units & buildings
    • This shows match stats and also saves campaign progress (for campaign missions) when quitting mid-battle
  • Power-rolling (in Sim mode) can now lead to exhaustion
  • “Longest Streak” stat now tracks how long a player lasts without any unit currently controlled by them dying
  • Notification icon now pops up over ammo crates when players resupply
  • Game camera now takes into account whether a gamepad-controlled player is pointing the right analog stick
    • This helps reduce the amount by which the camera cycles away from the battle in cases where a player is resupplying etc
  • Balance: T-Rex powerup now unlocks after 1,000 kills (can still be placed in map editor)
  • “Rarr” sound plays when a T-Rex crate is spawned
  • T-Rex will only spawn after first two minutes of a battle
  • Added medical crate to map editor
  • Corpse shadows are now slightly lighter (for airborne units)
  • Yellow mini-notes on Barracks page now show other notes stacked underneath when more than one page is available
Bug Fixes
  • Crash when unlocking ammo & medical crate powerups (hotfix released shortly after beta 1.1)
  • Crash when player would enter HQ when no abilities have been unlocked or assigned to HQ
  • “Basic Training” ability was not granting full magazine capacity at start of mission
  • Gamepad-controlled player would automatically select ability when entering HQ
  • Sidearm max clips now also increases with rank
  • Camera now zooms all the way out when a player enters the HQ when there is more than one player
  • “Longest streak” now ignores first two seconds of pre-battle time

MissingNo.

I love this, the setting is really great and allows for endless creativity. My only suggestion would be to maybe draw higher resolution graphics in some program that can
draw smooth lines so that the graphics look like they were actually pencil drawn. I don't think the pixelated graphics give the theme justice. But otherwise this looks like a lot of fun!

Brodie

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I love this, the setting is really great and allows for endless creativity. My only suggestion would be to maybe draw higher resolution graphics in some program that can
draw smooth lines so that the graphics look like they were actually pencil drawn. I don't think the pixelated graphics give the theme justice. But otherwise this looks like a lot of fun!
I love this, it looks great!

But as others have said, consider investing in a good paint program or even hiring an artist for a few pieces so you can really polish it up.
I agree. I've thought about trying some higher-res graphics and scaling them down. Maybe I'll knock that up on the priority list and see how it looks. Thanks again!