GMC Jam Discussion The Zesty GMC Jam 37 Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Code:
IS THERE SOMETHING YOU LIKE
IF YOURE RELEASING YOU LOSE, the jam where everybody keeps animals locked in and buttons pressed down!
20% of your Blue letters are incorrect, 80% of them are right.
Is there something you lost?

I S / X X X X X / X X X E X X I N G / Y O U / X X X X

based under the assumption that a letter reveled would show every place that letter is used, (like wheel of fortune) no letter repeats unless showed it does

The entire thing has to be a question, assuming the first word is ( I S ) which is a good possibility
that being true the next word has to be a noun
after the noun an adverb
absolutely positive the next word is You.
Which makes the last word hard as you is not possessive, so I cant pin down if its a noun, verb, adverb.

How ever by cheating using online suggestive math things.
This is the best guess I get

I S / T R U T H / A F F E C T I N G / Y O U / H A R D

Correct letters
90% positive correct guessed letters
100% guessed letters

Last edited:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I actually really like the sound of that. Very open-ended.
I really dislike the sound of that, since I hate absolutely everything... there's nothing I like, so I can't relate to that theme at all! :p

okay I'm exaggerating a bit for comedic effect

HayManMarc

I think we can be decently confident that the second N, the G, the Y and the U are correct since they need to go together in pairs - that means the first N is incorrect.
The G could be wrong. It could be a D or an S. Maybe even a T or a Y? So the first N could be correct.

I think its safe to rule out IS as the first word. Jam themes are statements much more often than they are questions.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Nice call, HayManMarc! Now when you mention it, I don't think I've ever seen a jam theme be a question.

*rubs forehead* IT SHALL is pretty much the opposite of a question, so let's guess that. I'd wager the letters were chosen to be as unhelpful as possible, so word 2 probably would be obvious if any of its constituent letters were revealed.

This lends itself well to a "it shall A, not B" juxtaposition format, so let's guess word 4 is NOT.
*rereads GameDevDan's statement on 4 out of 5 blue letters being correct*
Okay, never mind. :p IT SHALL - - - E - - ING YOU - - - - it is, I suppose.

So... what words fit? IT SHALL DETESTING YOU is the first that comes to mind, but that doesn't flow properly.

Maybe I'm getting blinded by confirmation bias... let's take a step back.

This is EvanSki's original guess. Bold letters are known; one of the non-bold letters is incorrect.

I N / - - - - - / - - - E - - I N G / Y O U / - - - -

The possible permutations of known letters are:
I - / - - - - - / - - - E - - I N G / Y O U / - - - -
I N / - - - - - / - - - E - - I - G / Y O U / - - - - (feels unlikely since NG is the most common way for an english word to end in G)
I N / - - - - - / - - - E - - I N - / Y O U / - - - - (feels slightly less likely since NG is so common, but INT could perhaps be it)
I N / - - - - - / - - - E - - I N G / - O U / - - - - (feels unlikely since there's very few words other than YOU that fits)
I N / - - - - - / - - - E - - I N G / Y O - / - - - - (feels unlikely since there's very few words other than YOU that fits)

We could also make the implicit guess that E, O, I all make no more appearances since that's usually how that works. But it's not been confirmed this time.
Since YOU is the only word that fits for word 4, we can probably assume it's known. It could be indirect YOU MUST, if we keep assuming word 3 is a verb. But it doesn't need to be.
Likewise, word 3's most likely ending is ING, so I'd wager the first word's letter is the one mismatching. Which means it's not IN, so it's IS or IT.

IT would be followed by a qualifier or state verb, but many common ones like MUST, MUSTN'T doesn't fit. IS is commonly followed by THERE, and that fits, so let's roll with that for the guess.

Here's my final guesses:
IS THERE SOMETHING YOU LOVE
IS THERE SOMETHING YOU HATE

(FEAR, LIKE, WANT, ENVY all match as well, of course, so the last word could basically be anything at this point)

Lumenflower

Yellow Dog
I _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ E _ _ I _ _ / _ O _ / _ _ _ ' _

ooh - cheeky apostrophe
That limits things quite alot. Couldn't find a definitive list of four-letter words with the apostrophe in that position, but here are some I found on Answers.com:
ain't
can't
won't
isn't
don't
she's
who's

JPS

Is this Wheel of Fortune rules? If so it can't be who's, won't, or don't because the O's have already been revealed or she's because the En's revealed.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
If Dan should rule by Dan's rules, and if Dan could rule by Dan's rules, would Dan rule in the way he has Dan so many times before? We simply Dan't know.

okay I'm not sure where I was going with this

Bart

WiseBart
Are there any other punctuation marks that we don't know of?
A couple of ideas in that case:
IT SWIMS, SOMETHING YOU CAN'T.
IT FEARS ASCENSION. YOU WON'T.
IT MAKES YTTERBIUM. YOU DON'T.
IT KEEPS ASCENDING, YOU NPC'S!

I'M STUCK, SCIENTIST. YOU?
- DON'T...
Although those are probably highly unlikely options :D

I'm actually hoping for the theme to be this one:
Code:
IT KNOWS SOMETHING YOU DON'T
That's a very sneaky apostrophe, by the way. We never had these before.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
IT knows something you don't!

wait...

Damn it but that's amazing though!

I X / X X X X X / X X X E X X I X X / Y O U / X X X ' X

Correct letters
90% positive correct guessed letters
100% guessed letters
100% Positive Correct letters

based under the assumption that a letter reveled would show every place that letter is used, (like wheel of fortune) no letter repeats unless showed it does

The entire thing has to be a question, assuming the first word is ( I S ) which is a good possibility
that being true the next word has to be a noun
after the noun an adverb
absolutely positive the next word is You.
Which makes the last word hard as you is not possessive, so I cant pin down if its a noun, verb, adverb.

What do we know?

• The last word is possessive or a contraction
  • letters do not repeat
  • The first word is not is
  • The entire thing is a statment

Lets focus on this

/ Y O U / X X X ' X

if the 4th word is you, the last word is most likely a contraction applying to the second word
so

first word = unknown
second word = noun
third word = adjective
forth word = noun
fifth word = contraction

Now's a good time to guess phrases.

Last edited:
It fears something you don't

Jaffa cakes. Throw Jaffa cakes at all the jaffaphobics until they squirm back inside their coconut hovels to win.

S

Sybok

Who's keen? 🥳

Hyping for my own benefit mainly. My track record for these things is not so good.

Wow, looks nice! I've started to grind game maker in the past month and i think this gameJam will improve my skills, who knows how my skills will be in the 4th one :D Btw, i will also probably stream some parts of it on my twitch account :D(xxDrRageexx, if you want to see me)

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
I _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ E _ _ I N G / Y O U / _ _ N ' T

IX / XXXXX / SOMETHING / YOU / XXN'T

first word = unknown
second word = unknown

third word = adjective? noun?
forth word = noun
fifth word = contraction

Correct letters

70% Guessed letters
100% Guessed letters
90% guessed Correct letters
100% Positive guessed Correct letters

Last edited:

Lumenflower

Yellow Dog
IX / XXXXX / SOMETHING / YOU / WAN'T

first word = unknown
second word = unknown

third word = adjective
forth word = noun
fifth word = contraction

Correct letters

70% Guessed letters
100% Guessed letters
You know 'something' is a noun right?

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
IX / XXXXX / SOMETHING / YOU / XXN'T

first word = unknown
second word = unknown

third word = adjective? noun?
forth word = noun
fifth word = contraction

Correct letters

70% Guessed letters
100% Guessed letters
@EvanSki Want doesn't have an apostrophe.

A few of the other letters you put could be right though.
IX / XXXXX / SOMETHING / YOU / DON'T

IT KNOWS SOMETHING YOU DON'T
My first and the last guess which still makes no sense: IT KNOWS SOMETHING YOU DON'T

it cant be something because there's already an O
cant be Dont because theres an O
cant be IT because theres an T

IX / XXXXX / XXEXXING / YOU / XXN'T

A letter reviled in the second word would be ideal to solve this, Doubt we'll get it though. ;)

Last edited:
C

Catastrophe

I'm reasonably confident letters revealed might still be hidden. It'd be hard to fill in the rest with just A as the only vowel left.

Bart

WiseBart
Maybe that "IT" can't do all the things you can:

IT LACKS SOMETHING YOU DON'T

Not sure if it's a proper way to use that verb, though.

Toque

It's gonna be my first jam too! I've been out of gaming making for toooooo long not to join 😎 Good luck to all you guys, too ;)
A few underdogs enter the race........
Unknowns with lots of potential.

can they handle the weekend of pizza?
Will they bath?
Will their families think they have covid because they are not leaving the house?
It will all be revealed.

PS. Please eat a carrot and go outside
Have fun.

IT LOVES EXCELLING YOU DON'T

So a game about an enemy getting better everytime you cross paths with it

Or any tower defense game

Or a university student is better than you because you dropped out of school and opted for a career as a couched potato?

Psycho_666

I'm doing something you can't... So a team based battle game with classes and stuff... Waaaay too ambitious for a couple days worth of jam...

On a more serious note...

The first word could only be IF or IS, but I bet it's IF.
The second could be almost anything. I have a good feeling it's the subject.
The third word is definitely a verb+ing.
The fourth word, YOU, is probably the object.
The only vowel left is A so the last word must be Can't.

Here are some possibilities I came up with
  1. IF FLAWS LABELLING YOU CAN'T
  2. IF CLAWS SHREDDING YOU CAN'T
  3. IF LAMBS CARESSING YOU CAN'T
  4. IF HALLS ACCESSING YOU CAN'T
I like 3. It would be funny

Z

ZendSeeker

It's my first jam so I have one question :
Do we need to register our devteam somewhere to take part in the jam or are we automatically register when we create a topic about our game after the begining of the jam ?

Thanks !

ghandpivot

Do we need to register our devteam somewhere to take part in the jam or are we automatically register when we create a topic about our game after the begining of the jam ?
You don't have to register. A topic called "GMC Jam 37 Games Topic" will be created a short time before theme reveal. As long as you post a functioning link to a .exe of your game in there before the deadline, you will be entered. You can take a look at the previous topics if you want to see what it should look like. A lot of people will reserve spots once the topic opens; know that this does not really matter but it's fun to be high up in the feed.

I have a fun idea and possibly some spare time even though I'll be working throughout that weekend. I'll bite!

HayManMarc

You don't have to register. A topic called "GMC Jam 37 Games Topic" will be created a short time before theme reveal. As long as you post a functioning link to a .exe of your game in there before the deadline, you will be entered. You can take a look at the previous topics if you want to see what it should look like. A lot of people will reserve spots once the topic opens; know that this does not really matter but it's fun to be high up in the feed.

I have a fun idea and possibly some spare time even though I'll be working throughout that weekend. I'll bite!
Another thing to add: teams are restricted to three people (i think?). Be sure to check the jam rules in the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.