• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GMC Jam Discussion The Zesty GMC Jam 37 Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on working everything from scratch. from the code, to the sprites, to the music. I feel like inclined to do this even if I don't have to
That's kinda the point of a jam, right? To do everything from scratch more or less?

I guess I want to say this early, but it'd be really cool if more people included credits this time. Even just in the readme.txt file.
If you used anything premade or something you didn't make yourself, make note of it in the readme file.
If you worked in a team, it'd be cool to see who did what.
If you did everything yourself, that's cool to mention to.

Petrik33

Hey guys, don't participate in this jam so I want to share my idea, maybe someone will find it interesting: to fit the game theme you can make a fantasy or fantastic game where in the end it gets clear that all the game was the imagination of the kid being ill with schizophrenia. Would be a very interesting and drammatical twist.

Mercerenies

Hey guys, don't participate in this jam so I want to share my idea, maybe someone will find it interesting: to fit the game theme you can make a fantasy or fantastic game where in the end it gets clear that all the game was the imagination of the kid being ill with schizophrenia. Would be a very interesting and drammatical twist.
Aha, now that I know the twist, I'm going to assume that every entry in this Jam is actually the imagination of a small child. I will interpret all of your stories in that frame!

Mercerenies

It sounds like I'm going in a bit of a different direction than a lot of people here. My current idea involves leaving "It" abstract, an ethereal goal to be attained by "you", the player character. Only in the true ending do you attain "It".

Gizmo199

Yeah sorry if it's too difficult guys! It sounded like a cool idea and I didn't want to be too specific or limiting. My thinking was kinda going the twist ending or unlocking secrets like weapons you wouldn't up front be aware of. Like @pudgyalpaca mentioned 'it' can be kinda anything. It could also even be you (or rather your player) itself. Maybe something like you player character knows something you the controller don't for like a 4th wall break kind of thing. Excited still to see what everyone comes up with!!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
The HUD is slowly starting to look like something, and all of the stuff in it is fully functional too! :D

Going underwater is supposed to let you dodge bullets, but you can't kill stuff on the surface while submerged. Leaving water makes you jump out, during which time you can't go back underwater, but you can hit enemies on boats that you normally would just bounce off of, and it makes you move 50% faster so it can be used as an evasive move.

The insane ramblings get longer the higher your combo is, and the text vibrates.
1590700047413.png

The M

This theme would be great for a detective story where you need to uncover the truth and figure out which characters are lying. Too bad my entry will be a completely different genre 🙂

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
The combo system actually is in place, and you get flashy neon light text as you keep chomping! The dash works, there's plenty of effects, and there's helpless swimmers to eat! Off to a pretty good start after the first day, but I'm already getting stressed out over having to make some sort of game out of this engine in just a few days x3
1590710868171.png

pixeltroid

The combo system actually is in place, and you get flashy neon light text as you keep chomping! The dash works, there's plenty of effects, and there's helpless swimmers to eat! Off to a pretty good start after the first day, but I'm already getting stressed out over having to make some sort of game out of this engine in just a few days x3
View attachment 31507

*sees red text on left side*

Are you a Cannibal Corpse fan by any chance?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
*sees red text on left side*

Are you a Cannibal Corpse fan by any chance?
Not at all. I just like writing horrible things, and figured I should make the decorative text you won't have enough time to stop and read during gameplay as disturbing as possible to go with the vibe I'm going to give the game :p (Forgot about the screenshots being stationary when I took a bunch of captures for GMC bragging rights...)

Toque

Yeah sorry if it's too difficult guys! It sounded like a cool idea and I didn't want to be too specific or limiting. My thinking was kinda going the twist ending or unlocking secrets like weapons you wouldn't up front be aware of. Like @pudgyalpaca mentioned 'it' can be kinda anything. It could also even be you (or rather your player) itself. Maybe something like you player character knows something you the controller don't for like a 4th wall break kind of thing. Excited still to see what everyone comes up with!!
Good theme.

Gizmo199

Thanks @Toque! I am really excited at all the new faces in this jam! Bout to update and call it a night! Look forward to everyone's progress tomorrow!

T

Two Tail Fox

@Yal loving how that looks! Fierce and deadly... It sounds like a fresh spin on a worn trope 😎
@Lumenflower snazzy! Great use of vectors, I love how the gameplay looks! The GUI is really rad, and I can't wait to see the game with the non-placeholder graphics!

Also I now have a chance to work on my entry - I've got a story based game idea. Can't wait to get started and see what you all think :)

Gizmo199

@Gizmo199 Dude, your game is footage is AMAZING! you are such a talented gamedev! I could see you winning this GMC jam again
@Yal I enjoy seeing your shark game update, every time with more dead bodies lol.
Thanks!! :D nah I figure imma go with a genre I love playing and ignore the theme unless magically I can fit it in. This whole process has truly been humbling. Never thought I'd be on this side of a jam and it's soooooo fun to see what people have come up with. Love it!!! Looking forward to every entry! :D

Mercerenies

View attachment 31507
Dammit, Yal, what did you do to me? This song came on Spotify a few minutes ago and I all could think about was your game 😆

Reactions: Yal

Lumenflower

Yellow Dog
Made in GameMaker Studio 2 29_05_2020 19_43_23.png

Enjoy this new screenshot, which I have craftily packaged up together with a tech support question:

Is there a way to show the contents of a room while drawing a sprite in the inbuilt editor? Back in the good ol days you could set the background texture to be the contents of a room, allowing you to draw your sprite around what you've already placed, but I can't find a similar feature in GMS2. I ask because all my important geometry is currently in a foreground layer, but at some point further down the line, I will need to add in a background layer as well to polish everything off, but I can't find a good way of displaying the foreground layer as a reference.

Mercerenies

Is there a way to show the contents of a room while drawing a sprite in the inbuilt editor? Back in the good ol days you could set the background texture to be the contents of a room, allowing you to draw your sprite around what you've already placed, but I can't find a similar feature in GMS2. I ask because all my important geometry is currently in a foreground layer, but at some point further down the line, I will need to add in a background layer as well to polish everything off, but I can't find a good way of displaying the foreground layer as a reference.
I don't remember ever being able to do that, but it sounds super useful. I'm curious now too.

Lumenflower

Yellow Dog
Pretty sure it was back when backgrounds were a separate asset from sprites. Not sure if that means 1.4 or as far back as 8.

Edit: I had a look back through the old manuals and can't find any reference to this feature. Maybe it was a dream :(

Last edited:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I have no idea what to do next in the project, so I made a logo and an itchio page (not yet public) with an SCP-style article about the Psychic Killer Shark incident of 1977.

KS77_thumbnail_small.png

Progress-wise, there's now a Shark Radar ability that lets you overwhelm yourself with even more information, just to prove that you know more than those stupid humans. There's a money (Blood) counter which animates as if it's actually spinning around when it counts up, which I'm really proud of managing to achieve and which I totally would show off if I could upload GIFs and also wasn't on a time limit. Also the score popups get bigger the longer you keep a counter going now (I had to cap it off at some limit, or they'd cover the entire screen. Pictured below, they're at the max level)

1590780992542.png

curato

Yeah I kind of had a similar idea to what Yal is doing, but I don't think I am going to have enough time over the this weekend to do it at the level I would want to. I was going to have you play a Grue (basically a monster that can't tolerate the light) and you got to sneak up and snatch all the people while staying out of their flashlights and other light sources.

Mercerenies

Here's where I'm leaving mine for tonight. Got most (but not quite all, sadly) of the core engine done. A bit more to do with it tomorrow and then tomorrow will pretty much all be writing story and dialogue. Time permitting, I'll get some art done tomorrow. If not, Sunday is drawing day.

ghandpivot

Here's where I'm leaving mine for tonight. Got most (but not quite all, sadly) of the core engine done. A bit more to do with it tomorrow and then tomorrow will pretty much all be writing story and dialogue. Time permitting, I'll get some art done tomorrow. If not, Sunday is drawing day.
Those people are high af

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Chromatic abherration makes everything look nicer and more intoxicated! 🦈
1590870658199.png

I've mostly done audio design today, but I've also fixed most of the remaining GUI assets. What I haven't worked with so far is core gameplay, though... better start thinking about that before it's too late x3

Status
Not open for further replies.