GMC Jam Discussion The Zesty GMC Jam 37 Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder

THEME:

It Knows Something You Don't

The GMC Jam is a WILD game development contest run every 3 months by the GameMaker Community. This is the 37th such jam.

Members compete to make the best game possible over the course of just 96 hours.

GMC Jam 37 will take place on the following dates:

May 28th, 2020 12:00 UTC - June 1st, 2020 12:00 UTC
(Countdown Clock)

• Any GMC member can take part in the GMC Jam. You must use GameMaker to create your game.​
  • Games must be made between 12:00 UTC on May 28th and 12:00 UTC on June 1st, and posted in the games topic.​
  • You may use resources such as graphics, sounds and scripts that were made prior to the jam, as long as the bulk of your work takes place during Jam weekend.​
  • You may create one post per entry in the games topic. You may create this post before your game is finished and continue editing that post to update your progress, in fact you are encouraged to write a devlog!​
  • All entries must have a download link in the Games Topic before it closes at 12:00 UTC on June 1st.​
  • All entries should work on Windows as a standalone executable / compressed zip folder. No installers please. Your entry can also work in HTML5 and on other platforms, but most voters will be using Windows and therefore your entry should work primarily on windows in order to secure a decent amount of feedback.​
  • All entries are encouraged to follow the Jam theme. It isn't mandatory to do so, but you'll often get more favourable reviews from your peers!​
  • You may participate alone or in a team of up to 3 members. See the "teams" section below if you're looking for teammates.​
That's all you need to know, but more information will be available in the Games Topic when it opens!

• As soon as the Jam ends on June 1st at 12:00 UTC, a zip folder of the games will be created and posted in the voting topic so that players can download all the entries at once if they wish.​
  • Voters will then have around 2 weeks to play and rank the games and voting will close on June 16th at 9:00 UTC.​
  • Any member of the GMC can vote, even if they didn't enter the jam. You cannot vote for your own entry. Votes shall be posted in the voting topic.​
  • Voters are encouraged to rank as many games as possible, and their final votes must include at least their top 3 games. More information on this will be provided in the voting topic when it opens.​
Boring technical info about how the votes are counted: Entries receive points based on where each voter ranked them, following the formula 1/(rank+1). So if a voter puts a game 1st, it gets 0.5 points. If a voter puts a game 6th, it gets ~0.143 points. These are all added up by the Jam Host to find the overall rank for each game.

That's all you need to know, but more information will be available in the Voting Topic when it opens!

Main Prizes​
  • The winner(s) get to decide the Theme of the next GMC Jam.​
  • The top 3 entrants, as well as winners of the "Best Of" categories will win personalised banners for their forum signature and a place in the Hall of Fame topic.​
  • More to be confirmed...​

Community Prizes

Members can offer their own prizes for the GMC Jam. PM me, @GameDevDan , and I'll add your prize to the list. NOTES: You should offer something based on your skills, rather than a commercial prize. You will also need to handle giving out the prizes yourselves after the end of the jam.​
  • @Cloaked Games - I will offer a free copy of my game, The Last Librarian, to my personal favorite FANTASY themed game.​
  • ...no more prizes, why not submit one?​

You may enter the GMC Jam as part of a team (up to 3 members). Sometimes collaborating as part of a team can help you to e-meet new and interesting people. Here we will list people looking for teammates. If you want to be added to the list, send me @GameDevDan , a private message with the skills you are offering.​
  • @Bart - Hi! For the upcoming GMC Jam I'd like to have a try at making some music for a game. People who are interested can check out my SoundCloud page.​
  • @Petrik33 - I am a programmer with a bit of isometric drawing skill with Marmoset Hexels, so I am looking for a person with good animating and drawing skill to cooperate on Jam​
  • @abocado - I am a programmer , and i also draw and do animations, here is a link to my deviantart ( search in deviantart : gogogoangel )​
  • EXAMPLE: ( Member ) is a ( Skill ) looking for a ( Other Skill )...​

The more people that enter the jam, the more fun we'll all have! Spread the word far and wide. Use the hashtag #GMCJam on Twitter (and other social media networks), join the Discord Chat, and talk about your games on the GameMaker Reddit. You are, of course, encouraged to talk about the Jam as much as possible here on the GameMaker Community. Create a devlog on the Work In Progress forum if you dare, and definitely post your thoughts, comments and memes in this very discussion topic!

You can also change your signature to tell other GMC members about the jam:

Signature Image:

BB Code:
Code:
[url=https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/the-zesty-gmc-jam-37-discussion-topic.74661/][img]https://i.imgur.com/ydgHJdf.png[/img][/url]

Last edited:

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
Ooooo, I'm gonna use the fancy new features in 2.3!
I've been trying to play with them, but having an actual game to make might help.

Mercerenies

I'm actually quite curious if GMS 2.3 will be out of closed beta by the end of the month. I hate to take a beta slot from someone since I really only use GM for the jams nowadays, but it would also be super fun to be able to use all the new stuff at the end of May.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Oh my favorite time on the forum! Community Hang man!

An / happy / community / and / meme

I was thinking, I should check my schedule but... Nope I'm free! I endeavor to participate, but it will depend on how I feel that weekend.

Seems like a lot of fun and I wish I could participate, don't think im "there" yet, not by myself at least. will keep my eyes peeled for any future ones!

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
My favorite time of the quarter: the GMC Marmalade!
It does rather raise some questions about the English language... why does every fruit have a "jam" but oranges have "marmalade" ?! IT'S JUST ORANGE JAM PEOPLE. *sweats*

Seems like a lot of fun and I wish I could participate, don't think im "there" yet, not by myself at least. will keep my eyes peeled for any future ones!
A Jam is the perfect place to practice your skills! You don't need to make something that will win. One GMC Jam I spent just 1 hour making a game where you inflate a potato til it explodes. Somehow it didn't even come last :D

If you're interested I could add you to the teams list in the first post as well, see if anyone wants to collaborate on an entry.

Toque

I can’t code my way out of wet paper bag But I can finish a game. Your there. but it could be a little nervous for a first jam. Someone was kind enough to help me on my first jam ( HayManMarc ).

you can pm me if you want join forces of evil and tyranny and make a mediocre game but pretend we think it’s awesome and annoy everyone and trash talk and almost get banned and complain it didn’t win and someone will rank it first and they be our best friend and the winner we will be passive aggressive to them and ignore the theme but defend adamantly it fits The theme but only visionarys like ourselves can see it and make excuses why we didn’t win cause people are better than we are and spent more time wich is totally cheating and besides we submitted the game to nintendo and they loved it now thinking about it you should do all the coding and art and I will handle all jam social media stuff.

If your still interested let me know.

Now I kinda wanna try making the most broken entry ever and try to come last, and since nothing goes according to plan everyone will love it and I'll win! 👉 🧠 💡
But you somehow gotta do that on accident, because otherwise you might get a few bonus points for concept.

EDIT: Or you might even win. I'm tired and somehow didn't actually read your plan before replying.

HayManMarc

Ah, yes. Finally, we've made it to the GMC Orange Marmalade Jam #37. It was a long wait, but totally worth it. Thanks, Dan. Nice new avatar, btw.

Theme guess:
OF DUCKS PICKLINGS THE CITY

(shrug)

Last edited:

Bart

WiseBart
I'll be in again!

If anyone needs some music for their game, I'd love to give it a try (more info in the first post).
Will be making my own entry, too.

My non-educated, very early theme guess:
NO CLUES AVAILABLE FOR THIS

Relic

Nice, a long weekend where I live. Not that it makes a difference with the ankle biters taking up any non-work day.

I'm hoping my artist friend will join me.

Petrik33

It does rather raise some questions about the English language... why does every fruit have a "jam" but oranges have "marmalade" ?! IT'S JUST ORANGE JAM PEOPLE. *sweats*

A Jam is the perfect place to practice your skills! You don't need to make something that will win. One GMC Jam I spent just 1 hour making a game where you inflate a potato til it explodes. Somehow it didn't even come last :D

If you're interested I could add you to the teams list in the first post as well, see if anyone wants to collaborate on an entry.
May understood you wrong, but if not how to add yourself to the list of people searching for a team??
Or how to just simply register to the JAM???

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
May understood you wrong, but if not how to add yourself to the list of people searching for a team??
Tell him you're looking for a team and he'll add you to the list.

Or how to just simply register to the JAM???
When the "games" topic is created (after the jam starts), make a post in it. Make sure that post has a download link to a working version of the game before the deadline.

M

ManiacCoder

Do I have to use the latest version of GMS2? I've been using the old GMS2 version.

D

Deleted member 45063

I edited the URL linked to for the GMC Jam Countdown. Unless I made a mistake it should point to the correct date. You should probably update it in the main post as well @GameDevDan :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
@Rui Rosário Actually, it should point to the UTC timezone, not the London timezone. The difference is that London timezone has daylight saving time and UTC doesn't. Because of that, it counts down to one hour earlier than it should.

D

Deleted member 45063

@Rui Rosário Actually, it should point to the UTC timezone, not the London timezone. The difference is that London timezone has daylight saving time and UTC doesn't. Because of that, it counts down to one hour earlier than it should.
Yeah, I didn't pay much attention to the timezone, just adapted the times and description 😅
EDIT: Should be updated, thanks @Alice :)

Gizmo199

Hype! I feel like its a conflict of interest for me to enter so I am gonna sit this one out, but I do plan on voting! Hope everyone enjoys and has fun with it! :D

Toque

Hype! I feel like its a conflict of interest for me to enter so I am gonna sit this one out, but I do plan on voting! Hope everyone enjoys and has fun with it! :D
YES!!!! whoops....... I mean we will miss you in this jam. 😉

(your last game was amazing)

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
You submit the executable of your game so it doesn't matter.
Well, GM8 and prior (especially GM6) might have compatibility issues with modern Windowses, so it could impact your score if you use them (because people wouldn't be able to start the games and probably deduct points for that). GMS1 vs GMS2 shouldn't matter, though.

Petrik33

Could you please add me to the list of people searching for a team as a programmer of the game?

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
Do I have to use the latest version of GMS2? I've been using the old GMS2 version.
That's fine, as long as it works when people play it!

I edited the URL linked to for the GMC Jam Countdown. Unless I made a mistake it should point to the correct date. You should probably update it in the main post as well @GameDevDan :)
Thanks, I've edited the first post with that :)

Conflict of interest?! Naaaaah. I picked the theme for GMC Jam 8 and still entered it, I just asked not to be included in peoples' votes. But really it doesn't matter either way. I've entered most of the jams I've hosted - knowing the theme well in advance - and nobody's ever complained :D

Could you please add me to the list of people searching for a team as a programmer of the game?
Consider it done!

Gizmo199

YES!!!! whoops....... I mean we will miss you in this jam. 😉

(your last game was amazing)
haha. Thanks! :D

Conflict of interest?! Naaaaah. I picked the theme for GMC Jam 8 and still entered it, I just asked not to be included in peoples' votes. But really it doesn't matter either way. I've entered most of the jams I've hosted - knowing the theme well in advance - and nobody's ever complained :D
True but you are a mod! haha. Nah I probably will be back at work by the time the jam comes around anyway. Yeah I definitely wouldn't want people to vote on my game for sure. Maybe, we will see. Maybe i'll make a meme game instead. haha

G

GregFroning

I have been out of game development consistently for a bit, maybe this is my chance to jump back in and get my footings again.

ghandpivot

I N / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ I _ _ / AND / _ _ _ _

My first guess would be
In / adjective / subjective / AND / subjective
Starting with IS would make it difficult to produce a decent sentence. IF could work.

Third word can be e.g. victories, variation, utilities, suffering, selection, penalties, objective, invention, incognito, fantasies, explosion, essential, education, deception, companion, centuries.

I'll join if I find the time, would be nice to produce something again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.