The watermark...

T

Toxidalf

I have almost finished my big game I've been developing in GM 8.1, everything done in lite but... the watermark... I didn't want to witness to the fact of me meeting that little dude. I'm so hurt, I spent 2 months for my game...

I'm stuck because I don't want to either have that fu--in- watermark nor have to get to crack Game Maker 8.1 just to hide that shi- off! I mean... so far I've done cool, I made everything in the lite versione, I literally sweated, I worked, I scripted, I created my art, I've run into problem solving a lot of time, I spent HOURS per day trying to figure out how to go on!

Now that I've ended my big project, I'd like to main my "pureness" and selling it in Steam without fooling myself or disrespect Yoyogames. Seriously, I don't wanna crack it, but I really really really cannot stand the watermark.

So... what's left rathen than buying the by-now obsolete 8.1 pro edition (I wouldn't buy it anyway... try to be me for a moment: I don't wanna spend even 1 dollar if it is just for a watermark :/ )?

Could it be that upgrading to Studio, everything'd get better? I mean, is there the possibility that Studio does let you remove the watermark? Obsolete functions? Rather than room old transitions, I don't have obsolete ones guess! So maybe could be the trick if only it let me remove the 'ermark!

Genetix

I would move away from 8.1 asap. GMS1 is still a good upgrade option, but at this point you might as well go straight to GMS2 for the long term support. You could upgrade to GMS1 then import the project (with some changes needed) I believe.

I get the cracking concept... I myself did it way back in the days of GM7 but honestly just spend some money to support the software - especially if you're actually hoping to publish something to Steam and not just use for hobby purposes.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
If you've only worked on your game for 2 months, it's probably not Steam-worthy, especially if it's your first game. And since it is done in the lite version of 8.1, its sounds can't possibly be done with extensions, and this means potential crashes on Windows 8 and above. As far as I'm concerned, your project is Steam-unworthy in every way.

If you still insist that your game is market-ready, fine, but this is what you need to do:
  • Get GMS 2.x before August 2018 and install+register the GMS 1.4 that gets bundled with it.
  • Import the .gm81 and replace the obsolete functions and/or actions.
  • Export the result as a GMZ.
  • Import the GMZ with GMS 2.x and replace anything that it can't convert there.
None of this shouldn't take long with only 2 months of work behind it.

PS: And do I need to remind you that Steam charges a $100 listing fee? If you can't afford GMS 2.x desktop, you can't afford to publish on Steam.

D

dannyjenn

There's a very simple solution: Find some trusted person who has GM8.1 and give him your gm81 file, and he can export it to EXE for you.

If you do get Studio, you technically would be able to import your file. However, it probably wouldn't run without you going through the code and making a lot of changes. Probably more trouble than it's worth.

edit - I'll also point out, you can no longer purchase an 8.1 license, even if you wanted to. The only licenses available these days are GMS2.

There's a very simple solution: Find some trusted person who has GM8.1 and give him your gm81 file, and he can export it to EXE for you.
I think that might breach the EULA. After all it seems awfully close to another situation where Person A gives their project to Person B (who owns a platform export that Person A does not) just so Person A can get their game exported for another platform which they have not bought the exporter for.
I would just do what @FrostyCat said and get GMS2 and upgrade the game through that way. At least then you have the latest version of the software, don't have the watermark (or default splash screen), and can keep making updates to the game without having to go through the whole hassle of GM8.1 being unsupported any more.

T

Toxidalf

If you've only worked on your game for 2 months, it's probably not Steam-worthy, especially if it's your first game. And since it is done in the lite version of 8.1, its sounds can't possibly be done with extensions, and this means potential crashes on Windows 8 and above. As far as I'm concerned, your project is Steam-unworthy in every way.

If you still insist that your game is market-ready, fine, but this is what you need to do:
  • Get GMS 2.x before August 2018 and install+register the GMS 1.4 that gets bundled with it.
  • Import the .gm81 and replace the obsolete functions and/or actions.
  • Export the result as a GMZ.
  • Import the GMZ with GMS 2.x and replace anything that it can't convert there.
None of this shouldn't take long with only 2 months of work behind it.

PS: And do I need to remind you that Steam charges a $100 listing fee? If you can't afford GMS 2.x desktop, you can't afford to publish on Steam.
My game is just fine, i reckon that it's ready to be published, It's a remake of an old sky game and since this is not my first game, I think I can say I'm proud of what I've done!

Thanks for the tips, now I will consider the best course of action!

T

Toxidalf

I think that might breach the EULA. After all it seems awfully close to another situation where Person A gives their project to Person B (who owns a platform export that Person A does not) just so Person A can get their game exported for another platform which they have not bought the exporter for.
I would just do what @FrostyCat said and get GMS2 and upgrade the game through that way. At least then you have the latest version of the software, don't have the watermark (or default splash screen), and can keep making updates to the game without having to go through the whole hassle of GM8.1 being unsupported any more.
Yeah, that thing about the updates would have made sense after all... if I had needed it! I cr

I created my game with the intention of making it fully bug-free and it does not requirw future updates, since that old Sky game I was talking about didn't need it as well back then :D

It's just like the old good SEGA ones... did they need updates? I don't think so!

Z

zendraw

you shuld either buy game maker or switch to another engine. if you switch, for instance to unity, dont know if its free, you can simply limit yourself to 2d coding and get used to it. that infact is what is going on with game maker and DnD, or using over complicated nested ifs instead of scripts or nested events instead of timelines, etc. from your experience i assume you know what you need so it shuldnt be a problem.

T

Toxidalf

Guys I finally solved this "mess"!

I downgraded to Gamer Maker 8 XD

Now I'll make good use of my beta testers ahha, let's see if this cart can handle the future!! haha

W

Wraithious

Guys I finally solved this "mess"!

I downgraded to Gamer Maker 8 XD

Now I'll make good use of my beta testers ahha, let's see if this cart can handle the future!! haha
Sadly, what was true in the 80's is not the case now at all, operating systems are changing on a dime these days, just look at android for example, they radically changed their os several times in the last 2 years resulting in tons of broken games that had to be re coded in several areas due to permissions issues, lib ping issues with png graphics, and the never ending build tools changes, next take a look at windows os, since xp was phased out they have radically changed the os as well, with newer updates making games go black screen with v sync issues, old dlls not working or if you do use an old dll and try publishing to windows UWP guess what, Bam! rejected!!! So if I were you I'd take @FrostyCat 's sugestion and at least get 1.4x or you will quickly find the lack of updated support WILL break your game at some point, probably within 1 year sadly.