• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

THE VIDEO EDITOR PROJECT - PANCHAM STUDIO

V

Virtual Mage

PANCHAM STUDIO

Pancham Studio is a work-in-progress video editor powered by GameMaker: Studio.
The functionality is very limited at the moment, but it keeps getting updated constantly.

You can edit the canvas and background color in the Project Settings tab.
If you'd like to add a text, sound, effect or image, head over to the Add tab, then to edit it, use the Edit tab.

You can change the size of an image by scrolling, moving it around by holding the left click, and rotating it by holding the right mouse button.

You can also move the elements on the lower half of the window, by dragging them, or resize them by dragging them by the side.

This project contains automatic built-in error messages as a response. If you get any, find it below:

ERROR_1 - "Error: Unknown Function"
This message is displayed when the User is trying to perform a non-existent, or an inaccessible function.

ERROR_2 - "Error: Undefined Canvas (Out of Memory)"
This error usually happens when the window is out of focus for too long, and/or runs out of memory.
It's also confirmed to happen every time the window gets minimized to the taskbar.
The Error message gets displayed, but it automatically fixes the problem (most of the time.)

ERROR_3 - "Error: Inaccessible source"
If you meet this error, that means you tried to import a broken file.

Any feedback is much appreciated! :)

I know bumping isn't a good thing but I really want to hear some feedback :S

How come all my projects are ignored lol

MOD EDIT: Posts merged. Please do not bump your topic unless you have something significant to add or a at least a few days have passed.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

N8Games

Very interesting idea. I'd never thought of using GM: S for developing something other than a game.

Why did you choose video editor? It seems like there are a lot of video editing options out there. What is it that your creation improves upon in this area?

V

Virtual Mage

Very interesting idea. I'd never thought of using GM: S for developing something other than a game.

Why did you choose video editor? It seems like there are a lot of video editing options out there. What is it that your creation improves upon in this area?
Well, actually at first I just wanted to challenge myself with something unusual, and I'm trying to get the most out of GM. But then I also realized that there's something I really wanted.

A while back then, I used to make lots of Kinetic Typographies. But there always were things that I didn't like in every program. So I decided to try to make my own video editor, and this will actually be designed for Kinetic Typography videos. That means, there will be lots of fonts to choose from, animations, text animations, effects, etc. These things can be found in other softwares of course, but I thinked about something else. For example, there will be effects that will let you customize the fade animation (bring some color in it for variety), a mirror effect for the background, lensflares (where you have to place the start point only, all the graphics will be placed in a line, thought the center of the screen - so this makes the whole thing MUCH easier, and make it look much better.)

But those are just small things. Other than those really small improvements, it doesn't offer anything more than any usual video editor. Well, maybe one thing: I'm trying to make the whole program user friendly, as much as possible.

A long time ago, I tried to make the same thing, that was a few years ago. I tried to do the same concept in GameMaker 8. Here's a screenshot of it:

So yeah. Wasn't too user friendly, wasn't accurate in placing things, and it was a buggy mess. And I also realized that I could bring out more of it in GM:S, especially with the sound system, and the shaders. So I brought the project to GM:S, and remade it from scratch. :)

Reactions: Xor
V

Virtual Mage

Options menu in progress, and Dark Mode will be accessible!

alexde5th

Tried it out, and here's what I have to say:
• Attempting to use any of the themes results in an error.
• Attempting to add text, sound, or effects results in an error
• Most of the interface doesn't even work, they're just there.
• I accidentally had a layer selected with something in it already when importing a picture in, they kinda merged together and I couldn't separate them.
>>This seems to be random.
• Being able to hit Escape when on a prompt like the resolution list to exit it without clicking anything would be a good thing to have.
>>Granted, I can click outside that window and it'll make it disappear anyways, so, there's that.
• Moving a slider then having the mouse outside the slider box makes it stop. Is that intentional or a bug?
• Easy to work with!
• With this being extremely limited right now, I can see it being better. It's going to take a lot of work to do so.
Good luck on this!

V

Virtual Mage

Tried it out, and here's what I have to say:
• Attempting to use any of the themes results in an error.
• Attempting to add text, sound, or effects results in an error
• Most of the interface doesn't even work, they're just there.
• I accidentally had a layer selected with something in it already when importing a picture in, they kinda merged together and I couldn't separate them.
>>This seems to be random.
• Being able to hit Escape when on a prompt like the resolution list to exit it without clicking anything would be a good thing to have.
>>Granted, I can click outside that window and it'll make it disappear anyways, so, there's that.
• Moving a slider then having the mouse outside the slider box makes it stop. Is that intentional or a bug?
• Easy to work with!
• With this being extremely limited right now, I can see it being better. It's going to take a lot of work to do so.
Good luck on this!
Thanks for the feedback!

The themes aren't implemented yet, but I was working on them earlier and decided to have only two. They will have some base assets, animation presets, and default background colors.

Adding anything else other than an image comes with an error, yes. That's because they're not done yet. For first, I want to finish the Image part, and then, when literally everything is done (adding animation, transition, coloring, etc) I'll make the others (so I don't have to copy a code all the time, just duplicate them once.)
I didn't even notice that lol. Thanks :D

The slider stopping is intentional. The main reason is because of the Project Settings tab, where the RGB sliders are positioned under eachother. This makes the whole coloring process a little bit faster, and setting them to the same percentage easier

And about the interface, the options at the top aren't doing anything yet, I'm making the functions of them just now. And the image on the lower half, I've cut them out. I've decided to put a slider there, and let the cut icons be on the left side, on that unused 64 pixel border
- This is how it looks like now:

Of course, it'll take a lot of time and effort, but I love doing it :D And since I've been working on it for only a few weeks, it's in a quite early stage of development.

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
V

Virtual Mage

Adding themes right now :D

Also, what you guys can expect in the next update:
  • More options for images
    • Free and precise resizing
    • Coloring
    • (Probably) black and white effect
    • (Probably) negative effect
  • Options menu