• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows The version is not compatible

• Thread starter Richard Mountain
  • Start date
R

Richard Mountain

I'm working on a game at the moment and I sent it over to my friend to have a look at some functionality and he is getting and error when trying to run the game.

Now he assures me he's running Windows 7 64bit, I've tested it on Windows 10 64bit and it works fine, I've also tested it on several different Windows 10 machines and it works fine.

Am I missing something?

J

jackhigh24

did you compile it on your machine and is your machine windows 10 if so then that's the lowest windows it can go on, you would need to make the game on a windows 7 pc to be able to run it on that and all windows above that as there not backwards compatible due to different visual studio.

R

Richard Mountain

Okay so based on that information how would I compile a game that would run on older versions of Windows if I don't have say Windows 7?

J

jackhigh24

well im not sure you can right now with the current version so maybe someone else will know.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
did you compile it on your machine and is your machine windows 10 if so then that's the lowest windows it can go on, you would need to make the game on a windows 7 pc to be able to run it on that and all windows above that as there not backwards compatible due to different visual studio.
That's not necessarily true. It depends what you mean by "compile". If the game is created using the basic Windows module (not the YYG compiler), there's a good chance it will run on Win 7 and 8 machines.

Secondly, compatibility issues can also occur with the self-extracting CAB format (single executable option), not the game itself. Games packed using the built-in ZIP option are less likely to have problems.

So before you give up, try creating the game with the standard Windows module. And use the built-in ZIP option. Send him the original ZIP to extract himself, and perhaps he can run that.

Last edited:
J

jackhigh24

ye iv never used the normal none yyc compiler so didnt know that @chance , all i knew was that yyc used visual studio and so will use the one that the system has.