The True Slime King | Hardcore Puzzle Platformer | Windows | Demo Available

BflySamurai

Description and Features
The True Slime King is a hardcore puzzle platformer inspired by games like Super Meat Boy and Mario Maker. The objective has been to build a fast-paced game with simple mechanics that lead to skillful play and allow for intriguing puzzles. I tried to make the player as responsive/controllable as possible. The player has a high jump, can stick to ceilings, and can slow their descent when on walls. All of this is achieved with 3 buttons: move left, move right, and jump. Holding jump keeps the player stuck to ceilings. Holding left or right while against a wall slows the player's descent.

The Story Mode features a large overworld that leads players through 5 zones, each with 23 levels (for a total of 115 levels). Players must complete enough levels or collect enough goo within the levels in order to progress. Each zone culminates in a unique boss fight with puzzle mechanics.
Zone 1: Echoing Entrance (overworld)

Zone 2: Crystal Caves (in level)

Zone 3: Mushroom Mantle (in level)

Zone 4: Metal Mines (in level)

Zone 5: Secret Shadowsphere (in level)

In addition to the Story Mode, there is also an in-game Level Editor and in-game online Level Exchange, allowing users to create and share custom levels so that players can compete to see who can get the fastest times. There is a Community Level Showcase playlist on The True Slime King YouTube channel where I play through some of the levels uploaded to the level exchange:
Community Level Showcase Playlist

First video from the playlist:

Additional features:
  • Unlimited Multiple Story Mode profiles.
  • In-game collectables/achievements and Steam achievements.
  • All replays and deaths are saved to file (unless you turn the option off), allowing players to race alongside past deaths/replays while playing in Story Mode on on the Level Exchange.
  • A large options menu allows players to tweak all of the settings and keybindings exactly how they want.
  • Partial game controller support (controller works for everything but navigating the level editor and navigating the level exchange).
  • 39 song soundtrack that creates a wide range of atmospheres throughout Story Mode.
Soundtrack Playlist

First preview videos from the playlist:

Development
I've been working on this game since the fall of 2016. As of March 2021, I've put in about 2800 hours into the game. I've learned a lot along the way, as you can see from this short pixel art progression video:

I've also had help from two other people with a little bit of pixel art and on the marketing side. Combined, they have put in about 50 hours into the game.

I released the game into Early Access on March 9, 2018 and have been continuing to bring the game toward full launch. There have been periods where I've been caught up in other things and haven't worked much on the game, but there have also been periods where I put in tons of time and am able to release big/frequent updates and make fun videos to share what the game is about.

Reactions: GoK