GMC Jam Discussion The Tropical GMC Jam 38 Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 45063

Well, if you interpret "minute" as "extremely small" then the theme is just "Three extremely small timers"

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Well, if you interpret "minute" as "extremely small" then the theme is just "Three extremely small timers"
It kind of made me think of these "find the object" games, where it could be red button or cat or whatever, and sometimes you'd need to perform multiple steps to make the proper object appear.
I like the idea of this "find three extremely small timers (per level)" game; this kind of entry would probably stand out among many others.

D

Deleted member 45063

I personally think Three Simple Rules would be the best theme as it allows for a lot freedom while being a promising constraint. After all, if the rules combine well enough you can get very solid games with just a few rules. Also it would save me the trouble of thinking of what to do as I could repurpose the overall mechanic for a previous jam I entered and apply it with a different spin.

Chaser

" I'm quite certain several developers here would use the three-minute time limit well and put enough content and variety to keep the player engaged. What worries me is less experienced developers trying to extend their game to three minutes time limit, which could result with several games that have very sparse content stretched across three minutes. "

Why worry at all? It will be up to the developer/s to decide what they can and cannot do given their experience and interpret the theme how they want to and incorporate it how they want to. If the games have 'sparse' content then that's just how it is. You never know, a less experienced developer might surprise you with what they come up with. Sorry, I don't mean to sound 'combative' here, but i'm struggling to understand your concerns.

curato

I think I have an idea of how to get around doing a 3 min count down if I can pull myself away from my main project long enough to get into this.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
THE GMC JAM IS OPEN!

Theme: Three Simple Rules

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Hmmm. Very vague, and might be tricky to pick the "Best use of theme" of (either there are three simple rules or not, using three simple rules in a particularly outstanding way is harder to think of).
But it definitely allows a large variety of genres, so I'm moderately hopeful about the reviewing session.

Adam Games

Wow. I usually have one or two rules at best. I now have to make a game with three rules? Yikes.
I think they don't have to be game objectives!

I'm plannning my game to have a game objective, and then 3 rules to follow, which act as distractions.

Gizmo199

Awww yeah buddy! Yeah after Dan mentioned it not being one of our guesses this was my most likely guess. Super excited!!! I got some ideas flowing

Selek

So I have a question about the rules. I see we can use graphics, scripts and other resources created before the jam, so long as the bulk of our work is done on jam weekend. For the past week or so, I've been working on a small turn-based wargame prototype set in North Africa. I'd like to do a much simpler version for the jam, with simpler victory conditions, units, stacking rules, terrain, a new map, etc. Can I still set it in North Africa (using a new, smaller-scale map)? Or should I move it to Paris, say, or the USSR?

curato

Well I had this whole idea about a soldier that had a device that could rewind time like set a point and rewind to it but it used up the time lapse and you only had 3 minutes. Oh well, I guess I need to make a Gremlin theme game now lmao.

Last edited:

Zodaris

I think I'll take the approach of Calvin here and make something standard, then add rules on top of it for a fun challenge. Similar to game community challenges like the Nuzlocke challenge in Pokemon or Ironman challenge in RPGs like WoW. Obviously the base game won't be something as massive as those 2 examples (plus those 2 challenges have more than 3 rules, lol) but you get the idea. :)

ghandpivot

Three Simple Rules is a terrific theme, would have been stoked to enter and have several ideas that could have been pulled off in a weekend! Time is not in my favor this time around though...

Last edited:

Gizmo199

Yeesh. I can't think of anything rn! Got a nice little platformer man who can run around. Guess I'm gonna get those mechanics working good / get the look going first and then figure out the rules. Haha

Joh

Has a Non-Theme game ever won the Jam?
There's a game I've been waiting for an excuse to make...
Though I don't dislike the theme, I think its good even, have some ideas for that too.

Dilemma...

Mercerenies

Has a Non-Theme game ever won the Jam?
There's a game I've been waiting for an excuse to make...
Though I don't dislike the theme, I think its good even, have some ideas for that too.

Dilemma...
I think ignoring the theme used to be more acceptable than it is now. I've never really cared and will happily rate your game either way, but it seems like more recently I've been getting comments in reviews about how I didn't follow the theme well. So it seems like there is definitely a nontrivial subset of the reviewers that does care about that.

D

Deleted member 45063

I think that when there used to be a Theme and a Handicap losing one or the other was more acceptable since there were still "restrictions" that were applied to the game, but since nowadays only a Theme exists not following it seems like a "free for all" submission of games. I'm not saying that that particular sentiment is bad, just that it might be behind the number of reviewers that pay special attention to whether a theme is followed or not

Status
Not open for further replies.