• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

The Tiles ID occupies a lot of memory?

L

Luto

Hello i have a question, i can see that the tiles stores his own ID. this mean that they occupies more resources that a simple sprite being drawn in the room?

this question is because i want to make a big map for a mobile game,and i want to save resources and memory. then my idea is that if the tiles waste too much memory maybe i could use only an object to draw the entire map (1024x1024), and I would save the memory of the tiles ID.

Roa

Its not that much memory. Its less than objects just being instantiated. For mobile, you probably want to have some sort of chunking system in place, save areas you can't see to the flash, load them into memory only when you need them.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
1024x1024 is NOT that big, and unless your tiles are 4x4 or 8x8 then I don't think memory will be a problem. Tiles CAN be slow if used incorrectly, but if all you are doing is level building then I don't think it's something you need to worry about.

That said, if you want to check and see what kind of load they have, why not create a blank project, add a tileset and a room, and then fill the room with tiles? Keep adding tiles until the debugger says the FPS drops below 60 and you'll have a fair idea of what kind if hit they have on performance...

L

Luto

Its not that much memory. Its less than objects just being instantiated. For mobile, you probably want to have some sort of chunking system in place, save areas you can't see to the flash, load them into memory only when you need them.
ok it's true, thanks =)

L

Luto

1024x1024 is NOT that big, and unless your tiles are 4x4 or 8x8 then I don't think memory will be a problem. Tiles CAN be slow if used incorrectly, but if all you are doing is level building then I don't think it's something you need to worry about.

That said, if you want to check and see what kind of load they have, why not create a blank project, add a tileset and a room, and then fill the room with tiles? Keep adding tiles until the debugger says the FPS drops below 60 and you'll have a fair idea of what kind if hit they have on performance...
i will test that. thanks =)