1. Hello Guest! It's with a heavy heart that we must announce the removal of the Legacy GMC Archive. If you wish to save anything from it, now's the time! Please see this topic for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

GMC Jam Discussion The Thunderous 34th GMC Jam - Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'GMC Jam' started by GameDevDan, Aug 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GameDevDan

GameDevDan Get Gyro Boss DX Moderator GMC Elder

2. Alice

Alice Toolmaker of Bucuresti Forum Staff Moderator

Called it!

Toque, Bearman_18, TehPilot and 6 others like this.
  3. Relic

Relic Member

oh dang - ever since @IndianaBones suggested "Single Point of Entry" my brain went into design mode. I'm gonna have to try squeeze something out after all.

4. Micah_DS

Micah_DS Member

Oho, it's that time again already?? Looks like I picked a good time to come back.

This is probably the best opportunity for me to help myself get back into gear with game development. I've had a hard time getting back into the swing of things after life threw a few curve balls.
    I'm really looking forward to jamming again! I think this is exactly what I needed, but first, I need to sleep, because I still have one day of work before I come to my free weekend.

I'm excited to do this again!

( BTW, I did finally get my community prize for LAST JAM :eek: to the winners - it was just a spinning trophy gif for pagefault... so that was disgustingly late. Really sorry about that. )

KPJ and GameDevDan like this.
  5. NightFrost

NightFrost Member

Originally I wasn't thinking of taking part, since my time is limited over the weekend, but an idea for a simple game popped to mind that I should be able to fit in. It will be about... herding sheep. I'll be using steering behaviors, which I'm pretty familiar with, so implementation of a prototype shouldn't take too long.

6. Alice

I'm going to be mostly preoccupied by the Jam utilities this Jam. Still, I'd like to participate, so if one of you has simple programming for me to do, I'll gladly help.

Just two things:
    - as I mentioned, simple - something like endless runner, sokoban or point-and-click is easy enough, something like jRPG or platformer is not (also, I have zero experience with physics and 3D)
    - I'd rather not take part in brainstorming, but instead work on an already defined idea

curato likes this.
  7. curato

curato Member

I actually had an idea for that theme. I might participate. We will see if everyone has the same idea I had by time I get a moment to work on it.

8. Baukereg

Baukereg Member

I can't join this time, so good luck to everyone!

woodsmoke and KPJ like this.
  9. Bart

Bart Member

Oh, the jam started already.
    I hadn't planned on participating this time but I started on something small anyway :) (trying not to overscope it this time)

10. NazGhuL

NazGhuL NazTaiL

Perhaps I will join. I was thinking about a young pilot with some kind of magical force Power who must fly through canons and lasers to fire a torpedo in the single point of entry of a terrible orbital space station called the death star. This is never seen before.
    (Or at least I will take time to review).

11. EvanSki

EvanSki King of Raccoons

Use the force NazGhuL

12. Toque

Toque Member

I was going to skip but you may have just convinced me.

GameDevDan and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  13. Gizmo199

Gizmo199 Member

Some kind of maze like puzzle game where you cannot go back to previous room...hmmm.

Toque likes this.
  14. EvanSki

EvanSki King of Raccoons

Looking for a pixel artiest to draw sprites because ive lost all ability to make anything with pixels look good

15. Siolfor the Jackal

Siolfor the Jackal Member

I think I may have something. Just hoping I can make it fun in the short time I have

16. rmanthorp

rmanthorp YoYo Games Staff Admin YYG Staff

Good luck everyone! Looking forward to the results!

HayManMarc likes this.
  17. Gizmo199

Gizmo199 Member

Got an idea working. Interactive poem idea taking shape. I just hope I can make it intuitive enough to work. Might just be a mess. Gonna get some sleep. Got all day to work on it tomorrow. Best of luck guys!

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  18. Relic

Relic Member

My mind went straight to ice fishing upon reading the theme. Not really sure why - I live in Australia and have never seen snow.

[​IMG]

19. GMWolf

GMWolf aka fel666

I just handed in my masters report! I'm free!
    I might give my self an extra challenge and spend a couple of hours on the game jam! But first: rest!

20. Mercerenies

Mercerenies Member

[​IMG]
    Robot slap fights, the game! :D

21. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob The Laughing Rogue

Hey, Alice!

Here's a simple one we can do: a Pong-like game! Simple enough? Right? I mean, y'know, we gotta make it "our own" and all that, thus I figure, like, make it a 3D MMO with stealth and deck-building aspects, but we got this!

*pfft* $:^ P lol

In reality, though, to anyone bothering to read, I'm actually considering trying to finish my little tic-tac-toe exercise (intended to get me back into things) this weekend, since I started it this weekend, and enter it (which would also help get me back into the community & fun-publishing side of things).

Otoh, I had another idea today, for real, that would be perfect to suggest to @chance to get together on, but ~shrug~ available time and all that. $:^ J

Gizmo199 likes this.
  22. Micah_DS

Micah_DS Member

After struggling for about 20 minutes to find this development capturing tool again (I misremembered it as being called 'GMTT48'), I've finally started on my game.
    I'm going to try my hand at making it fun playing as a guy with a pointy head who stabs things in their weak point.
    Nice! But the slaps need to go harder, better, faster, stronger. ;)

Toque likes this.
  23. Cat

Cat Member

Hey everyone, don't forget to take breaks and drink water!

24. HayManMarc

HayManMarc Member

Breaks shmakes! Who needs water?! (passes out)

25. MikeDark_x

MikeDark_x Member

Well... it's been years ever since I have participated in a Jam isn't it? ever since the old forum... hmmm guess I'll give it a try this time, doubt I'll be able to make anything good tho
    Coffee it is

HayManMarc and Toque like this.
  26. Siolfor the Jackal

Toque likes this.
  27. Shadow_Lancer

Shadow_Lancer Member

Thanks. Just hoping I can actually add in the things I want, but we'll have to wait and see.

Siolfor the Jackal likes this.
  28. Toque

Toque Member

It’s a great use of theme for sure.

29. Siolfor the Jackal

Yeah, the idea came to me pretty quick after an initial idea that I hated.
    Hopefully mine is different enough and we both manage to make something cool.

Shadow_Lancer likes this.
  30. GameDevDan

31. NightFrost

NightFrost Member

So Friday was a total bust when it came to gamemaking. Today though I've been able to concentrate on getting some steering done.

[​IMG]
    The sheep avoid obstacles and each other, and give the dog even a wider berth. Their wander routine is a braindead "pick a direction and walk N frames" so they will repeatedly bang their heads into corners if that's the direction they pick. (Also I should have mentioned this is context steering system, not just a base steering behavior one).

Now to add some flocking behavior to sheep to get them group up, and a flee behavior that gets called when the dog barks. (And of course the gate you need to get the sheep through.)

Micah_DS, ParodyKnaveBob and Gizmo199 like this.
  32. NazGhuL

NazGhuL NazTaiL

Who wants the most boring job in the galaxy: Hatch controller. Keep the exhaust port open to vent the thermal generator....unless someone have the bright idea of firing a torpedo inside....Impossible...That will never happens...

[​IMG]

Not sure I will finish it in time...but I'll try. (I know, there is no try)

33. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob The Laughing Rogue

Your above post made me lol quite well! Funny by itself, this is what made the punchline:

$X^ D

34. HayManMarc

HayManMarc Member

35. curato

curato Member

I don't usually make them with any concept they might win. If I think of an interesting idea I use the limited time to see if the mechanics I envision are practical or not. Actually, I rebuilt a concept from a previous jam and that is my main project now that I hope to get released.

36. Micah_DS

Micah_DS Member

So I scrapped every concept up till now and just started fresh about an hour ago. Because of this, I've had to go much simpler with movement mechanics and such.

Now my single point of entry is a portal in the center of the screen which transports you to different areas based on the direction entered, which is totally not a knock-off idea from my beloved childhood games, Chip's Challenge and Adventures of Robbo:
    [​IMG]
    At this point, I have no idea where I'm going with this though, and I was just informed that my family is celebrating my niece's birthday at a park in about an hour (yeah, we're really good at giving the heads up, haha), so I'm gonna let this sit for a bit in favor of going to that, and hopefully I'll get some idea on where to take it by the time I come back tonight.

37. IndianaBones

IndianaBones Member

My entry NO SMASH THE WALLS is feature complete : Game Entry Post

I estimate I spent around 10 hours on it give or take. As I may have no more time to work on it, I've posted the completed version now so I don't miss the deadline.

The game is fairly straight-forward, it's short and sweet, has three levels, minutes of challenging gameplay, cheat codes, and a secret level of my different earlier prototype if you finish the game.

No sounds yet, which I'll add in if I get some spare moments.

38. HayManMarc

HayManMarc Member

@Micah_DS -- you're probably planning on changing it, but I love the simple cartoony look of those sprites.

Micah_DS likes this.
  39. Siolfor the Jackal

Oof, my game sucks and isn't much fun ^^'
    Haven't got much time left to work on it either. Got TWO exams tomorrow spread apart.
    Wish me luck, guys. For the jam mostly.

40. Nacky Slocker

Nacky Slocker Member

I DID IT MOMMY! AND DIDN'T EVEN I SLEEP NEED!
    THANKS FOR PARTICIPATIO--zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Holy cow, I haven't entered since the first jam...

41. Micah_DS

Micah_DS Member

Thanks! I'm going to try to keep the spirit of the character, but yes, I'm planning on updating the character and the portal's design to match all the other graphics I've added:
    [​IMG]
    I made a number of changes since my first post of it, but I don't feel like I should spend time explaining it all, since I'm too far behind - gotta crunch, ahahaha.

ParodyKnaveBob and HayManMarc like this.
  42. MikeDark_x

MikeDark_x Member

Just a small something of my wip, classic skeletons, get too close and they have a bone to throw at you

on another note I was probably too ambitious... eh maybe I'll have something playable by the end of it

upload_2019-8-25_3-41-2.png

43. HayManMarc

HayManMarc Member

Yay! I have a playable game. Tomorrow I add some polish and post a pic. Must sleep now.

44. GameDevDan

45. Relic

Relic Member

Toque likes this.
  46. NightFrost

NightFrost Member

Well, some progress.

[​IMG]

I hadn't touched steering in a while so unfortunately I had forgotten that it is a bit hostile towards non-steering agents, especially if you're trying to do avoidance. You can easily chase a sheep into a corner and it will just shake there. This is because context steering is about choosing the direction with least danger, and as distances change it will keep oscillating between the wall and the player, so preferred direction will keep switching. This is because player is not a steering agent so the sheep cannot push it back through mutual avoidance. Other related problems I managed to solve.

However, flocking behavior was not easily transferable to context steering (I had not attempted this before). In normal steering, movement is about summing acceleration vectors, so flocking and avoidance will find a mathematical balance eventually. Context steering however, since it is about finding the lowest danger direction and not balancing vectors, will not. The first sheep to be checked will feel the avoidance pressure and move away. With less avoidace pressure on other sheep they will, more or less, attempt to flock together and follow the one that moved away. This creates a clump that instead of gravitating towards a mutual center will perpetually move to some direction. (The behavior is turned off in the above gif for this reason.)

Looks like this weekend turned into a steering workshop instead, but at least I was able to put some progress into that code.

47. MikeDark_x

MikeDark_x Member

Leaked gameplay screenshots, yea, honestly didn't know what joke to make here...

On another note I'll probably make the view smaller...
    upload_2019-8-25_11-24-29.png

Micah_DS and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  48. Nacky Slocker

Nacky Slocker Member

Okay, this is a stupid question, but how on earth, from the brain capacity of a toddler, do I share a screenshot? Like a step by step guide. I thought google photos could help, but they're giving me an insanely difficult time.

Please help.

49. Alice

@Nacky Slocker I use this website: https://imgur.com/

First I upload the picture I want using the "New Post" functionality.
    Then, after the image is uploaded I open the triple-dot menu (it appears when hovering the uploaded image) and open the "Get share links" option.
    From the links, I choose the BBCode and paste it into the post.

Tada!
    [​IMG]

50. Nacky Slocker

Nacky Slocker Member

Blegh, I'm too lazy and tired to set up an imgur at the moment, so here's a link
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/U7VRmRAdxFUx8FrBA

Does anyone else seem to have the problem where right when they finally learn how to use something, someone makes a drastic change to the interface?

Thanks for the help Alice! I need a nap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.