GMC Jam Discussion The Thunderous 34th GMC Jam - Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
A E I O U Y A E / I O Y U / O I / E A W H Y

The theme is vowels
and not adding microtransations to AAA games
Wow, this took a dark turn at the end.

On a related note: @EvanSki have you seen Baseketball? It's on Netflix - watch the opening and tell me that isn't exactly what's happening to video games...

Less important (but more pertinent) have you found a team yet?

Last edited:

GMWolf

aka fel666
You guys are picking those dates on purpose right?
It's the same day to need to hand in my master's thesis :/

HayManMarc

_ _ _ _ _ E / _ O _ _ _ / O _ / _ _ _ _ Y

RESCUE HORSE OR MOMMY
ADVISE MORON OF STORY
DECIDE COLOR OF HAPPY
OBTUSE MONKS ON DAIRY
LITTLE DOPEY OX RELAY
HOMAGE POEMS OF HONEY
RETAKE TOTOS OZ POPPY
MOROSE LORDS OF PINKY

_ _ _ _ _ E / _ O _ _ _ / O _ / _ _ _ _ Y
I don't know how this game works. Are we using "Wheel of Fortune" rules? I can't solve the puzzle, but I do declare that the first word is "Rumble" I'm taking an educated guess based on the fact that this is a "Thunderous" GMC Jam.

The first step is admitting you have a problem.
The next step is accepting the problem... right? :confused:

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
S A D D L E / W O M E N / O F / F O L L Y

Probably the best guess google has given me

E

Earth Traveler

Code:
SERENE BOXES OF GLORY
SQUARE BOXES OF GLORY
SQUARE MORAL OF STORY (???)
SQUARE ROOTS OF FIFTY
SINGLE WOMEN OF PARTY (clear right answer)
STRIKE HONOR OF ENEMY
SUBDUE POWER OF ENEMY
SCRIBE TOMES OF FUNNY
SCARCE COINS OF ITALY

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
So I ran through word guess algorithm (wither or not its good idk but)
Here is my results
http://www.hanginghyena.com/wheeloffortune

Best Guesses:A:40% Z:36% I:32% J:32% M:32%

sizzle comix of jumpy
squire comix of tizzy
sizzle comix of jimpy
suckle jorum of jumpy
suckle comix of jumpy
sizzle colza of jumpy
suckle comix of jimpy
squire colza of tizzy
squire colza of jimpy
suckle colza of jump
sizzle comix of tizzy
suckle colza of jimpy
suckle comix of tizzy
suckle jorum of jimpy
squire colza of jumpy
squire jorum of jumpy
squire jorum of jimpy
suckle jorum of tizzy
squire comix of jimpy
squire jorum of tizzy
suckle jorum of tizzy
squire comix of jimpy
squire jorum of tizzy
sizzle jorum of jumpy
sizzle colza of tizzy
sizzle colza of jimpy
sizzle jorum of jimpy
suckle colza of tizzy
sizzle jorum of tizzy
squire comix of jumpy

E

Earth Traveler

I forgot how wacky some of the responses could get when we just do missing letters and not full clues :D

No one has even come remotely close to the theme still, which is interesting... should mean everyone is surprised when it's revealed :)
This is unbelievable. How could nobody be even close with this many guesses??? must be more words out there than I thought...

Code:
STAPLE MOXIE OF BELLY
SUBTLE POSTS OF DANNY
STABLE COMPS OF PLEBY (bad)
STAPLE BOXES OF ITALY
STABLE HORSE OF FAIRY
Although on second thought these guesses aren't likely to get us any closer...

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
So, I have been pretty busy these last few days...

The screenshot here is from a utility for preparing entry to send to a Jam, all from a single place. It allows setting up all the main files already recognized by the current Jam Player (executable, readme, afterword) and also includes some additional properties that would be recognized by the new Jam Player, once it would be made (thumbnail, game post link and such). You can also export the entry to a ZIP package.

Of course, using this wouldn't be obligatory, much like it's not required to include readme/afterword files in the first place. Rather, it's a simple tool for those who want to make sure their submission is properly recognized by the Jam Player. It should prevent problems like readme filenames not automatically recognized by the Jam player (like "Read me") or invalid title/authors being listed for the entry.

The important point is, the files generated by this can be used for both the existing Jam Player and the potential future Jam Player, so even if I won't make it in time with the latter, it's still useful for the former.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
So, I have been pretty busy these last few days... etc etc
Outstanding work! You put so much effort into making the GMC Jam what it is, I really appreciate that!

Meanwhile the Jam is tomorrow so I'm going to give you all one last letter (then you have to wait ~27 hours for the reveal when the jam starts muhahaha)

S _ _ _ _ E / _ O _ _ T / O F / _ _ _ _ Y

Got a new puppy last week and I have two exams on the last day(as per usual) but I'm hoping I still will find some time to make something.
My coding is probably heaps rusty since the last two jams I only did art and music for Alice(who did a wonderful job each time), but I'm looking forward to doing some jam coding again.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Square rooot of unity? $:^ D

Addendum: @IndianaBones' "single point of entry" really does sound like a serious contender. I'm curious to see if this one stands the test!
I proposed "square roots of unity" when the clue looked like this: S _ _ _ _ E / _ O _ _ _ / O F / _ _ _ _ Y

Now that GameDevDan revealed the 11th letter as T, that guess is out the window now. Still, the idea I had this morning for a game about "squares" and "roots" can still work with "point" after a minor adaptation. Can't wait to start on it tomorrow. Even if it turns out to be completely different, the idea is still good enough for a casual game to release elsewhere.

N

Nacky Slocker

I told my bro I might enter this one... usually I help him with his own projects, but I think Imma try enter my own.

Also,
SIMPLE COUNT OF GLORY
SINGLE POINT OF STORY
SERENE JOINT OF SCARY

Hmmm... We'll see!

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Alright, here is the first beta build of GMC Jam Entry Packager: https://www.dropbox.com/s/djpemc83gxfe9x5/GMC Jam Entry Packager.zip?dl=0

Feel free to play around with it, check if it works as expected and provide feedback (whether things work well, or maybe something should be fixed or even there's a crash).
Of course, I'm aware there are some areas that could use improvement, but there are still things I may have overlooked, and based on the feedback it'd be easier for me to prioritise some features.

(just for the record, I strongly recommend starting out with setting up an entry folder with Entry >> Create Entry; once it's built, the rest should hopefully be intuitive enough)

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
hey. I've never participated in a game jam but I'm interested.

- I use GM 1.4. Is it allowed?
- whats the theme? Its already the 22nd where I live!
- what do I do with the GMC entry packager?
Please read the rules and specifications on the first post.
  • Any version of GM is allowed, all the way down to legacy 1.0 if you really want to knock yourself out. Though I would caution against legacy 6.0 through 8.1 due to potential issues on Windows 10.
  • The start time clearly states 12:00 UTC. It doesn't matter what your local time zone is, if UTC isn't past 12:00 then it hasn't started yet.
  • It's a tool for you to create packages for submission to the Games topic, which will open when the event is live. As an example of what it looks like, this is the one from the last event.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Another build: https://www.dropbox.com/s/djpemc83gxfe9x5/GMC Jam Entry Packager.zip?dl=0

Changes since last build:
- fixed an important bug with importing ZIP files (specifically, the ZIPs with files packaged directly, rather than inside a folder)
- added link button to the Post Link
- added Team Name field
- added message after successful exporting and also set default directory and filename for the ZIP saving window

Gizmo199

Dang! I'll be literally going to sleep as soon as it starts! Ugh! I at least got one full day off during the jam so I can put in some major work! Can't wait!

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
Several of my previous jam games have been made in a few short hours for various reasons.

Profanity Bot was made in a few hours because I had food poisoning most of that weekend, Just Pop Bubbles was made in a couple of hours because work at YoYo had kept me busy, Blabbit in the Headlights and Ballooning over the Ocean were made in 3 hours each, and the greatest game of all time - Spud Pump - was made in just 1 hour!

If anyone feels they can't enter because it'd be a bit of a crunch / bad for their health that's fine & you should look after yourself. But if you're really keen to enter and you have a few hours spare, don't let the time constraint stop you! You can still make something goofy / fun even if it's not gonna win :)

Status
Not open for further replies.