GMC Jam Discussion The Thoughtful GMC Jam 42

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Why? My 3d graphics were pre-rendered fake anyway :) And I'll likely go back to that for the next jam too. I doubt I'll enjoy the pixel art process enough to switch on a more permanent basis for anything. I've just been meaning to force myself to give it an actual go for quite a while now.
Ive become a fan of taking a large HD image, and scaling it down to give it a pixelated look

looks very dos/ PS1 esk
and works really well in doom style 3d

Toque

I hope you guys are prepared....this is the first jam I'm going to do with pixel art! I haven't decided on a palette yet, if I'm going to try something like one of the Dawnbringers 16 or 32 color ones, or go more minimal and do something like Atari style or OG GB 4 colors, or even monotone. But in some fashion, I'm going all pixel art. I make no promises that things won't be ugly like my other entries, but they WILL be pixel art :)
nope you committed. Your pixel art will be judged with the highest of standards. After all that bragging…….

Micah_DS

Ok, I've got a somewhat unordinary community prize:
  • To the game that I personally find to have the most excellent or inspiring game-identifying graphic (e.g. a character, enemy, item, structure, etc.), I offer a low poly 3D recreation of said graphic, in the form of a spinning GIF.
    • Conditions: Only graphics made by a team member are eligible. 3rd-party graphical assets do not count. If a game does not include credits for graphics, it's not eligible either. Please include credits. :)

~ EXAMPLES ~

I took some test runs using characters from last jam. Note: Unlike these examples, I'll offer various sizes, including at least one that's signature-friendly.

Shroom Boy by @Poizen

Shadow Bouncer by @JordanOttesen

and, yes, I PM'd the host, as per proper prize offering procedure

Last edited:

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Ok, I've got a somewhat unordinary community prize:
  • To the game that I personally find to have the most excellent or inspiring game-identifying graphic (e.g. a character, enemy, item, structure, etc.), I offer a low poly 3D recreation of said graphic, in the form of a spinning GIF.
    • Conditions: Only graphics made by a team member are eligible. 3rd-party graphical assets do not count. If a game does not include credits for graphics, it's not eligible either. Please include credits. :)

~ EXAMPLES ~

I took some test runs using characters from last jam. Note: Unlike these examples, I'll offer various sizes, including at least one that's signature-friendly.

Shroom Boy by @Poizen

Shadow Bouncer by @JordanOttesen

and, yes, I PM'd the host, as per proper prize offering procedure
No 3D Evanski,
Terrible

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
I present to you...
The Jamstarter pack!

It includes some basic systems and utilities to start the Jam with. In particular:
  • a basic music and sound effects player, with configurable separate BGM and SFX volumes
  • a basic management of display (fullscreen/windowed; I might or might not make more advanced display management for my entry, but that's another matter)
  • a simple configuration saving/loading system
  • a bunch of utility functions for:
    • arrays processing
    • parsing colours from HEX
    • simple saving/reading text files
    • simple saving/loading JSON files (using structs or maps)
    • string processing
    ...and more!

It's divided into three directories:
  • Init: a simple starting room with a splash screen and advancing to the next room; more importantly, it also includes the controller objects for audio/display management and loading configuration
  • Common: all the systems and utilities (in particular, Utils is the folder focusing on utility scripts)
  • Test: a room demonstrating different features of the package, i.e. audio playing/configuration, display configuration, colours parsing
    NOTE: To avoid any problems with distributed content licensing, the BGM/SFX assets were replaced with a 1 second of silence; you'll need to add some audio of your own to test audio properly.

In general, it's recommended to import either the entire Init and Common folders, or all three folders altogether. Otherwise you might run into some issues with missing dependencies or non-initialised controller objects.
(though if it's just the utility scripts you want, you might as well import just the Common >> Utils folder)

Please let me know if you have any questions. ^^

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
nope you committed. Your pixel art will be judged with the highest of standards. After all that bragging…….
LOL, damn right I commited....to doing pixel art. It aint bragging if you can actually do it :) That said, this is exactly why I'm choosing a minimalist palette...gotta take that step out of the way to make the rest easier. And I certainly expect my pixel "art" to be judged...especially after all the HD high level stuff I've put out before hahaha.

Haha just joking because there always seems so few of us not doing some form of pixel art(and I quite like your 3D stuff heh)
Now I get where the "traitor" part comes in. I probably will only be able to make myself go pixels for this one jam. I'm only doing it to basically force myself to do something different and out of the box from what I'm used to. You won't see anything more than a jam game from me done in pixel art anytime soon for sure though. I like my 3d stuff too much, and it's the only way I can get anything resembling "acceptable" as far as art goes.

Toque

LOL, damn right I commited....to doing pixel art. It aint bragging if you can actually do it :) That said, this is exactly why I'm choosing a minimalist palette...gotta take that step out of the way to make the rest easier. And I certainly expect my pixel "art" to be judged...especially after all the HD high level stuff I've put out before hahaha.

Now I get where the "traitor" part comes in. I probably will only be able to make myself go pixels for this one jam. I'm only doing it to basically force myself to do something different and out of the box from what I'm used to. You won't see anything more than a jam game from me done in pixel art anytime soon for sure though. I like my 3d stuff too much, and it's the only way I can get anything resembling "acceptable" as far as art goes.
Doing your own art is a automatic 5 place bump in my books. 😉

HeadlessOne

lucky 13hr left!!!! so pumped... I've stocked up on durritos and mountain dew and i've told mum to lock the basement door... i aint coming out until this thing is done.

hehe seriously though we are currently in lockdown over here in NZ so i couldn't leave the house if i wanted to... perfect excuse to be glued to my keyboard for the next few days.

not sure what the real theme will be but i might just set myself an extra challange and do all 3 of the best guesses so far Many mythological Kitten enemies.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
One catch I thought of...you guys who followed the clues that lead to MANY ENEMIES...what if that is ALSO just a clue, and the theme is just MINI ENEMIES?!?!?!
But what if,
I just wanted you to think Many Enemies was a clue
???

ghandpivot

So not MANY nor MINI enemies. Then i suggest:
- Make enemies
- Mean enemies
- Meet enemies
- More enemies

I'd put my vote on make enemies, seems the most inspiring.

I want to try to make a fast paced platformer with guns and screen shake. Never done that before 🤓

Bart

WiseBart
What a great theme!

Here we go again. Good luck everyone!

(Also... I added a community prize as well: I will make a very tiny 3D model, complete with a basic GM viewer, of some sort of "trophy" of my favorite entry. It will contain the game's highlights and perhaps some other things.)

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
So the given clue directly pointed to "many enemies"....but I was certainly vindicated when I said it could be a false lead. I actually figured it was either "many enemies", "mini enemies" or I did have some suspicion for Mythologies. I actually had an idea that fit the enemies ones already, but like I said I wasn't committed to anything yet. I wasn't able to come up with anything for Mythologies as easily though, so here we go.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
So the given clue directly pointed to "many enemies"....but I was certainly vindicated when I said it could be a false lead. I actually figured it was either "many enemies", "mini enemies" or I did have some suspicion for Mythologies. I actually had an idea that fit the enemies ones already, but like I said I wasn't committed to anything yet. I wasn't able to come up with anything for Mythologies as easily though, so here we go.
I didnt think that people would jump onto it like everyone did, I thought most people would question why I was so willing to just practically give a full hint, so whoops!
But I think it was fun, for me at least, to watch everyone guess and prove with out a doubt their guess was correct.

Definitely still need to get better with the teases 😅

bandman28

Oof looks like we have to trash our million-dollar game idea and find one for the new topic. I weighed too heavily on Many Enemies.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I didnt think that people would jump onto it like everyone did, I thought most people would question why I was so willing to just practically give a full hint, so whoops!
But I think it was fun, for me at least, to watch everyone guess and prove with out a doubt their guess was correct.

Definitely still need to get better with the teases 😅
I think you gotta figure out more which letters to reveal more than anything. Revealing those 3 IES letters narrows things down somewhat(even if there are still lots of words out there). That process is also theme dependent since some words are just common like that.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
I think you gotta figure out more which letters to reveal more than anything. Revealing those 3 IES letters narrows things down somewhat(even if there are still lots of words out there). That process is also theme dependent since some words are just common like that.
working on an update so thememer will calculate the best letters to reveal for me

ghandpivot

I'm losing everything but 3 hours on saturday and then most of sunday... With the few hours I have left I really need to stop scouring for music and SFX

Status
Not open for further replies.