GMC Jam Discussion The Thoughtful GMC Jam 42

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehPilot

I want to participate but I have a prior commitment this month. Regardless I'll carve out at least two nights to stream games once again. At this point I almost find that activity more fun than actually participating in the main event itself...

For theme guesses, I feel like theme previews have alternated between including spaces and excluding spaces. I'll have to go back and check MY MEMORIES about spaces being underscores in previous jams.

Or maybe spaces aren't accounted for these days and the theme is just MANY ENEMIES. 🤔

Bart

WiseBart
MYTHOLOGIES sure would be a great theme!

A couple of other guesses that haven't been made yet, assuming not more than a single space (though my first idea was also MERCENARIES):
MAGIC FLIES
MOB STORIES
MEGA CITIES
MAD PARTIES
MECH ALLIES
(probably none of these are likely but they fit the clues)

Micah_DS

GML:
if spaces_included_in_theme{
    theme_guess = choose("MSDOS CRIES",  "MASS VARIES",  "MAD DEITIES",  "MOM STORIES");
}else{
    theme_guess = choose("MAKE STORIES", "MATH APPLIES", "MECH ONESIES", "MUTE REPLIES", "MAX FELONIES");
}

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
By the way, I'd like to team up this time. I can do programming and/or some vector graphics (animating limbs is still tricky, though).
If I and the teammate were to be doing programming together, I'd prefer if they were familiar with Git system (I generally use Github for collaboration).

Also, I'd rather work on whichever concept the teammate comes up with, based on the theme, so that I won't just benefit from my own theme (also, it's nice to work on someone else's ideas every once in a while).

Mr Magnus

Viking King
We need some prizes. I don't remember what parameters were on them other than "no monetary prizes", but let's see what we can find.

How about some video games? I can't offer much else, so have at it with a bunch of video games.

I OFFER:

• A steam game of their choice, not exceeding $15 in value, to the author of the game that ends up in first place.
  • A steam game of their choice, not exceeding $10 in value, to the author of the game that ends up in second place.
  • A steam game of their choice, not exceeding $5 in value, to the author of the game that ends up in third place.
  • A steam game of their choice, not exceeding $10 in value, to the author of the game that I personally rank first.
  • I have a list of steam keys I just purchased from Humble Bundle at way below market value. Everyone who enters will get to pick one game off that list of steam keys in order of ranking. The authors of the game that came first get first pick, the game that came second has second pick, then third pick, fourth, fifth, and so on and so forth until everyone has had a chance to pick a game. Teams will have to settle between themselves who gets what game, so try to team up with someone who doesn't share your interest in games.

We'll sort out if teams win how we'll handle that when we get there, but until then we now have some prizes!

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Since we're at that...

I offer a full-picture fan art for the:
  • 1st overall ranking game
  • game with Best Use of Theme award
  • my personal favourite (i.e. the game I rank first in my votes)
In case two of these overlap, I'll draw the artwork for the 2nd overall ranking game. If all three overlap, I'll draw the artwork for both 2nd and 3rd overall ranking games.

Micah_DS

@Mr Magnus I thought Steam games were monetary prizes though? But if @EvanSki says it's acceptable, I might offer a game as well.

Aside from prizes like that, I feel I never have anything of worth to give.. 🤔 If I offer my services, like making music, I'm afraid I won't be able to deliver in a timely manner, so I'm avoiding giving something I don't already have done. Which means the only thing I have to offer that 'might' be useful to someone is a simple script / example project for circle line intersection detection:

Probably not useful to anyone though?

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
We need some prizes. I don't remember what parameters were on them other than "no monetary prizes", but let's see what we can find.

How about some video games? I can't offer much else, so have at it with a bunch of video games.

I OFFER:

• A steam game of their choice, not exceeding $15 in value, to the author of the game that ends up in first place.
  • A steam game of their choice, not exceeding $10 in value, to the author of the game that ends up in second place.
  • A steam game of their choice, not exceeding $5 in value, to the author of the game that ends up in third place.
  • A steam game of their choice, not exceeding $10 in value, to the author of the game that I personally rank first.
  • I have a list of steam keys I just purchased from Humble Bundle at way below market value. Everyone who enters will get to pick one game off that list of steam keys in order of ranking. The authors of the game that came first get first pick, the game that came second has second pick, then third pick, fourth, fifth, and so on and so forth until everyone has had a chance to pick a game. Teams will have to settle between themselves who gets what game, so try to team up with someone who doesn't share your interest in games.

We'll sort out if teams win how we'll handle that when we get there, but until then we now have some prizes!
I think to be on the safe side, lets just stick to the handing out of the steam keys from humble bundle
as theirs no money touching their thats not already been dealt with

altho we can also get @Nocturne 's opinion

Mr Magnus

Viking King
I think to be on the safe side, lets just stick to the handing out of the steam keys from humble bundle
as theirs no money touching their thats not already been dealt with

altho we can also get @Nocturne 's opinion
"This episode on Judge @Nocturne: A person attempting to make himself $40 poorer by gifting video games faces a challenge due to vague rule wording from a two year old post. The cases are real, the people is real. The ruling is final. This, is Judge Nocturne!"

But assuming Nocturne vetos the prize It's not any skin off my back, I'm more than happy to go with the cheaper approach.

Last edited:

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
"This episode on Judge @Nocturne: A person attempting to make himself $40 poorer by gifting video games faces a challenge due to vague rule wording from a two year old post. The cases are real, the people is real. The ruling is final. This, is Judge Nocturne!"

But assuming Nocturne vetos the prize It's not any skin off my back, I'm more than happy to go with the cheaper approach.
I didnt set the rule I just follow it, :p

Lord Tyrant Nocturne always knows all!
Lord Tyrant Nocturne always knows best!
Lord Tyrant Nocturne is the best!

All Hail Lord Tyrant Nocturne!

HeadlessOne

Keen!!! Are we ok to use Game maker Studio 1 still? I haven't gotten around to upgrading to studio 2 yet (it's only been out for like 4 years... no need to rush)

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Keen!!! Are we ok to use Game maker Studio 1 still? I haven't gotten around to upgrading to studio 2 yet (it's only been out for like 4 years... no need to rush)
Yes!
Any version of game maker is welcome.
But your game has to be made with Game Maker, no U***y no G***t no U****l

GM1 - GM:S 2.x

HeadlessOne

Yes!
Any version of game maker is welcome.
But your game has to be made with Game Maker, no U***y no G***t no U****l

GM1 - GM:S 2.x
Excellent! and for the teams do they have to be people from the forums? I have a friend who i've done Global Game Jam with once or twice who might be keen to give me a hand but he's not really a forums... guy.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Excellent! and for the teams do they have to be people from the forums? I have a friend who i've done Global Game Jam with once or twice who might be keen to give me a hand but he's not really a forums... guy.
As long as one member is on the fourm
and that account has a game summited in the games topic, you're all set

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

IT'S JUDGEMENT TIME... and I say...

The rule is that no MONEY can be offered as a prize. So you can't give $15 but offering to gift a Steam game of $15 value is fine. We've had multiple Steam gifts before as prizes so don't worry about it. THe rule only exists because there are complications and legal issues involved with offering actual money that don't exist for gifting things like games on Steam. ;)

Posh Indie

That Guy
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

IT'S JUDGEMENT TIME... and I say...

The rule is that no MONEY can be offered as a prize. So you can't give $15 but offering to gift a Steam game of $15 value is fine. We've had multiple Steam gifts before as prizes so don't worry about it. THe rule only exists because there are complications and legal issues involved with offering actual money that don't exist for gifting things like games on Steam. ;)
Not sure why it marked this as quoting me, but... I am so glad it did. Otherwise, I would have missed out on this episode of Judge @Nocturne, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.