• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GMC Jam Discussion The Thoughtful GMC Jam 42

Status
Not open for further replies.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I'm about to post my entry. It's 2:30 AM here...I planned on being done by midnight but this is better than trying to get up early and not being able to be productive anyway(the jam ends at 7AM in my timezone).

HayManMarc

I'm finished! Well, I guess that's what you'd call it. There was more I wanted to do, but it plays well enough. At least it did before the last stuff I put in. I wasn't able to playtest it before uploading and updating my games post. So I guess I'll go do that now. Lol

Good luck, everyone! And may the spirit of 42 be with you and forever in your favor! (Whatever that means.)

Micah_DS

Ok, I must admit, I got my game done and uploaded before the jam was over, but since the topic wasn't locked, I snuck in one last level and made some quick tweaks and a bug fix. So I was done maybe 25 minutes after the jam time was supposed to be over. It was just way too short without that last level, and I did the other stuff, since I was there.

Oh, I also added in a readme to give credits. Shortest readme I've ever written, lol.

Mr Magnus

Viking King
@Cantavanda. Just played your game because I was too curious not to.
Know that no matter how other people respond to your game, I loved it. You got a good chuckle out of me.

In fact the amount of effort for the audio production you went trough gives you points in my book. Without having played any other entry I suspect there is a very good chance you'll not end up at the bottom of my rankings, because despite everything I actually enjoyed myself.

herostone67

🌊Typhon's Return⚡
By Royaku and Herostone67
team
Vulcain Games

View attachment 42627

link for the game :

(all the ressources was made by us for the 42° Gmc jam)

Devlog : 👨‍💻 (writed by royaku)
26/08/2021
Herostone arrive in my city (in france) the theme was already announced, so we brainstorm with abig game with this plot :
zeus announce to hermes that Chronos is waking up and need to give the god power to perceus so he can go to the tartar (the bad hell part in greek mythology) and kill Chronos beacaus zeus is too lazy to do the work, so we need to control hermes to bring the Poseidon's Trident and Zeus's lightning to earth, then we control persee who need to kill a lot of monsters to pay Charon, the ferryman, fight a boss and then we go in hell to fight more monsters and then after another boss we go in the Tartar and kill stronger monsters and fight the final boss Chronos...
An then we work all the day to try to make a working dash system, without any succed
(my mother wanted us to get out of the computer sometime so we don't work a lot)
27/08/2021
We give up beacaus we would not have enough time and use all the day making other coding things
but anyway I had familly things, poor herostone lol
28/08/2021
We said that anyway we would probably not finish the games but we will try to with a smaller concept anyway
the new idea is to take only the first level concept with hermes wut we will add other things like ennemies, but NO DASH
and then we change the final boss and take typhon, the storm giant, he is the size of a mountain so make him in the ski would be logic
29/08/2021
we work on other things and work a LOOOOT until 11 pm (23h) and we decide to wake up early the next day beacaus it's the last one and we need to finish it.
30/08/2021
so we wake up at 7 am (well my friend do, because I was to sleepy so I wake up more at 7:30 am lol )
he finish to dev ennemies and typhon, i make all the screens and we make other things...

we can't wait to finish so we can eat kebab 🤤

🎮Our Discord Server🎮
Photo de profil de vulcain_games

discord.gg/zsaUr52KkK
📸Instagram : https://instagram.com/vulcain_games/ 🖼

we learn a lot with our first jam (and maybe real finished game), it was very cool thanks you a lot yoyogames for your amazing software​
woaw, we did, in a painfull way.

HeadlessOne

that was my first GMC Game jam and im stoked to be done, im actually super happy with what I was able to slap together... kinda gutted that i had some pretty particles that were 95% done before the time but they started throwing errors and i just didn't have time to get them shoehorned in... still great experiance... now to sleep for 48hr straight hehe.

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
Well, where do I begin? I'm happy with the game, but there were too many ideas that would have taken the game past the 4 days. My original idea for the Minotaur was that he was going to charge you and end up with a Freddy Mercury pose when he bucks you into the air... you know the one! Then I had some other music I was going to try to put in, but only ended up with the one music track... Then I had this cool idea for when Pan dies, he gets caught up in a cloud of smoke, but ended up with a particle explosion in the end. Then I wanted a whole sequence where Pan is falling into the kingdom of Tartarus, but instead ended up with sort of a transitory level where he just goes from one door to another with a little title that appears over head. I think my ambitions for this game were too big for a 4 day jam. I also had a couple glitches with the moving platforms that I never could quite stamp out... At one point, I even got a crash, which had to do with screen resizing (I used the Beta) and I don't know if I fixed that either. At any rate, I'm glad its over. I'm totally burned out.

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
@Cantavanda I did take a peek at your game, Honestly I love it!, Idk how well the rick roll cover will do, as I know from youtube its very picky, so I uploaded a sample of it privately to YouTube and it didn't get flagged, so i think we are good. Love the covers! Definitely a improvement from the last game lol. Hope to see more from this series!
Thank you! Yes, the Rick Roll is completely acapella, so it shouldn't be a problem.
For the next Jam, I'll do my best to learn how to work with GM:S2 and get much better at spriting, and then the Otter will return there!! I hope the ideas I have planned for the Otter will fit with the next jam's theme XD.

Mightyjor

Well it’s been one year since I participated in my first Game Jam ever (GMC jam 38) and my game dev addiction/hobby got started. Thanks so much to all the wonderful hosts, mods and participants that make this by far my favorite jam to participate in. Excited to play through everyone’s entries!

kris24

Unfortunately I wasn't able to finish my entry this time (apparently, planning & preparing for a 12 day international trip is more time consuming/stressful than I would have thought) but it was still a good way to get introduced to GMS 2. Still feeling tempted to run back to the safe arms of 1.4 but I can tell there have been significant improvements in the new version. Looking forward to next time

HayManMarc

(Obligatory double post)

Here's how my help screen turned out....

...and as to the readme info: There's a little non-game-breaking glitch in the selecting/deselecting of items. When you've selected something from the Build Menu and place it, sometimes it seems like you have nothing selected. But when you go to select some ships to move them around, the selection doesn't work until you deselect by right-clicking. (I couldn't find it to fix it for the jam version.)

Mightyjor

(Obligatory double post)

Here's how my help screen turned out....

...and as to the readme info: There's a little non-game-breaking glitch in the selecting/deselecting of items. When you've selected something from the Build Menu and place it, sometimes it seems like you have nothing selected. But when you go to select some ships to move them around, the selection doesn't work until you deselect by right-clicking. (I couldn't find it to fix it for the jam version.)
any chance you could upload a video showing gameplay? Might help for those of us who really struggle with large rule books!

Ericbomb

As much as I'd want to confess to manually editing the database entries, the sad truth is I simply got a good deal of practice while developing the game.

Man, you got trough those games fast. Well done.
Didn't have anything to do today, but have a ton to do tomorrow and then I'll be on vaction for a week. So spent the entire time playing since it's my only chance! I actually just went back and added comments since I found a bit of time to make sure everyone got a comment and played a few again.

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
Hi folks. So reading some preliminary reviews, it's not entirely clear how to charm the rat with your pan flute in The Insufferable Pan. The instructions just say hit the F key, but you have to make notes come out over a couple seconds (tap it a few times) for it to work, and you have to be close enough for the rat to hear you. You'll see a question mark appear over the rat to indicate he can hear you. I'll make these instructions more clear in the post jam version. Thank you for playing!

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
Last edited:

Mercerenies

General piece of advice for Mars God of War (and Sometimes Internships).

I've seen a few reviews where people got stuck not knowing what to do next. I'll write a full walkthrough later this week if I have time, but as a general note, if your boss messages you telling you to do more work, then you need to switch back to Macrosoft Exceed and play the data entry minigame a little bit longer. Sometimes, if you do that, then you'll get a message or an email after entering a few rows telling you what to do next.

Thanks to those of you who already played and reviewed!

Ericbomb

Oh for anyone who plays my super weird audio game!

You should be able to get all the main story beats in 3 runs, 4 if RNGeusus screws you with your opponents getting crits and what enemies you get.

Also don't forget Space interrupts the narrator from what he is saying. So you can use space to have him skip parts of combat where you don't care, or stop him from telling you a story beat you've already heard.

And just thank you everyone who gives feedback on it! It's such a strange game concept I'm trying out so any and all feedback on how to make it more fun is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: and yes that is TTS. No it was not easy to make it sound like that.

Last edited:

Mightyjor

Hey everyone! I streamed some of the games this evening. Have fun reviewing!

Games played: (in order)

Prometheus Rising by Evanski @EvanSki
The Will o' Wisp by Bearly Co-oping @HeadlessOne
Escape from Tartarus by Ericbomb @Ericbomb
The Insufferable Pan by Pixel-Team @Pixel-Team
Hades vs. Satan by kburkhart84 @kburkhart84
Mars God Of War And Sometimes Internships by Mercerenies @Mercerenies

Watch the livestream of it here!
TWITCH STREAM LINK!

Last edited:

Micah_DS

(double-post because editing my above post won't notify that I made a quoted response)

cool game well implimented i would have scored it higher but i wasn't sure where it fit the theme.
From the game:

<--- "That myth". Supposed to be a Unicorn, which is a mythological creature.

Granted, not everyone thinks of a unicorn like mine I suppose. :p And that's just one myth, so it's true my game had to do with 'mythologies', but it did not contain mythologies, as in, plural - more than one myth.
I did intend to do far more, but I was unable to get in the Lock Mess, 'Messy' monster boss (a reference to the Loch Ness 'Nessie' monster), in which you'd fight a living pile of locks which are linked together. I also wanted to have the player go to multiple realms, one of which was going to be the world behind the mirror from the Chinese Fauna of Mirrors myth.

Alas, all that made it in the game was the unicorn, so it's fair if you think it's not a strong use of the theme, or an obvious enough one, but for what it's worth, the theme use is there. :)

_

BTW, I read all the comments so far on my game. I really appreciate your words, love and criticism alike.

I look forward to more feedback. I'm expecting the biggest problem to be that my game is too short for players to get the hang of the mechanics naturally, since there is little time given for it and you can easily zip through a lot of it without really playing around with the mechanics much. But I think you all know how it is - we always have many things we would've improved or added, given we had the time. I just hope you guys enjoy the dash mechanic as much as I do. :D
There is a secret area you can reach in one of the levels. If anyone finds it or has found it, I should let you know that, no, you cannot destroy the blue thing. I planned to make a secret thing happen there, but I didn't have time. Still, I'm curious if anyone is/was curious enough to find it. :p

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
Ok after reading some more lengthy comments on The Insufferable Pan, I'll drop this little easter egg: Try playing the flute next to Persephone before you meet her. just get close enough for her to hear you, but not too close where she notices. You'll get an alternate ending.

And just to be clear. You don't need to mash the buttons to charm the rat, (or Persephone) you just need to play consistently for 5 seconds, and this can even be done by holding some notes longer than others. In retrospect, this was a poor design choice, and something I changed to simply playing 5 notes in succession. The reviewer was probably literally the first person other than myself to play my game.

I'm currently doing a post Jam version that will fix these issues, (and the dialog about the rat will make more clear that you need to be within range) and have a few other quality improvements. I should have it ready in the next day or so.

Last edited:

The M

Unfortunately, there's a bug that prevents the final boss battle from concluding in my game. It's not too big a deal because you don't miss out on much.

I have uploaded a fixed version if you want to see the ending. Alternately, you can check out the GIF in the spoiler below:

Status
Not open for further replies.