GMC Jam Discussion The Thirsty 33rd GMC Jam - Discussion Topic

NightFrost

now that the circuit recognition algorithm is implemented
Are you using flood fill style search, possibly with some sort of backtracking added? I am somewhat reminded of an older GMC Jam entry of mine where you had to connect two spots across a grid by rotating tiles. The connection discovery on it was pretty much a flood fill.

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
Yo. I entered for once, and it's going really well! I had no clue that puzzle games could be so fun. My progress is faster than expected, and my game is looking to be cute, but moody. Lol.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Are you using flood fill style search, possibly with some sort of backtracking added? I am somewhat reminded of an older GMC Jam entry of mine where you had to connect two spots across a grid by rotating tiles. The connection discovery on it was pretty much a flood fill.
Kinda sorta like that, but significantly more complex, because I'm not looking for just connection, but want to group the links into circuits. "Circuit" here means a set of links such that any two links can be connected with a loop that doesn't go through any node twice.
And indeed, there's a whole lot of backtracking involved.

(by the way, the entry you mention is the one where you connected power source to some kind of device with optional extra score nodes; the one with the mostly orange-ish colours scheme, isn't it? I remember that entry)

woodsmoke

Hey there, I'm a bit late to the party. Didn't think I'd be participating at first, but here I am.

My game Reflector Sector will be kind of a successor to my game Vector Sector but tightly built around the GameJam theme "Turn It Off And On Again" with two states (on/off) instead of three. And gameplay-wise it's a whole new ball game.

Last edited:

Micah_DS

I started and scrapped a few prototypes and only just now got something going that I like, so I might not have enough time to pull it off now, but I'll try. I'm not sure why I had such a hard time with this theme.

W

wkaudio

Things are coming together! My game is about staying up all night playing video games. If your mom starts coming in, you better hurry and turn out the light or she'll catch you and send you to bed! You win if you're able to stay up all night until 7:00, and your goal is to score points in Kid Elephant's video game, Cactus People 7.

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
I'm happy I joined. I learned a lot over the past days, and I'm actually enjoying what's come of it. I should participate more often.

Micah_DS

Ha, well this has been weird. I'm not feeling my 4th attempt at a game where you TURN IT OFF AND ON AGAIN either:

The idea here was that anything immobile could be phased in and out. The green gem/coin things were planned to get destroyed if an enemy touched them, which would cause a level restart, but you could phase the gems out to protect them, though you couldn't collect them (which was the intended goal to win a level) unless you put them back in phase. Enemies can be killed by phasing a wall out and back in on them, etc.
It could probably become something fun, but it'd take me more time than I have left, so I'm going to call it a bust and I'll just use the last ~24 hours to practice some more 3D in GMS2.

As always though, I learned stuff, so it was totally worth participating in the jam. :)
• I used keyboard_set_map() for the first time and learned how to use that in my usual enum data structure for inputs, so that'll be useful in future jams and other things. e.g.:
Code:
// input

keyboard_set_map( ord("A"), vk_left );
keyboard_set_map( ord("D"), vk_right);
keyboard_set_map( ord("W"), vk_up   );
keyboard_set_map( ord("S"), vk_down );

enum in
{
    left   = vk_left,
    right  = vk_right,
    up     = vk_up,
    down   = vk_down
}
• I used the opportunity to practice handling state machines in a better way than I have in the past, so it was nice to confirm that it works well and I can use the same structuring in my bigger projects that I have planned.
• I got to learn a bit more in the GMS2 sprite editor which I don't usually make much use of, but this time I used it for all the graphics, and it was pretty fun to 'limit' myself to that.
• I used the GM48 Time-Lapse Tool to capture the development process for the first time as well, and it's awesome. I threw it into VD as the instructions in the link suggest and I got a video out of it very easily. There's really no reason to upload my progress this time, but now I'm fully prepared to do that next time.
• I learned other things too, but honestly, is anyone even reading this? There's probably almost no reason for anyone to do so, aside from extreme boredom. :p

NightFrost

It could probably become something fun, but it'd take me more time than I have left, so I'm going to call it a bust and I'll just use the last ~24 hours to practice some more 3D in GMS2.
I'm kind of in the same boat. As I suspected when I started, all the stuff I want to put in can easily make me sail past the deadline. For example, inspired by a recent forum thread I built from scratch, for switches and their targets, a listener system. Subjects can announce themselves and listeners can request subscriptions to subjects through a central system (that I decided to call obj_postmaster). When subject state changes, it pushes to all listeners by calling scripts they provided, in the listener's context ( with(_Listener){ script_execute(asset_get_index(_Script)) } ). And to push items / ride elevators I'm adjusting the idea presented here. I'm more interested in getting all the experimentation done rather than publishing before deadline, but it is a good thing I jumped into the jam because I wouldn't have otherwise gotten this much done in such a short time. Hopefully I can still put out something, but it will essentially be a tech demo / proof of concept.

hippyman

Okay dudes. I have a game idea with everything fleshed out (albeit very messy) and now I need to write up a short story to go with the game. Anybody want to team up and brainstorm some ideas or is it too late to team up?

curato

@Micah_DS I like the concept. I made that mistake last time. Used an idea that is too much to get a demo up in a weekend especially without a team.

@hippyman It may be too late from something overly complicated. especially without a team already in place. you may want to do something simple that you know you can get done in time. My entry is done. I would help within reason. Assuming there is no rule against having two submissions.

Relic

Done and download link added to game entry thread.

Finished earlier that my last two jams. Although there was stuff I wanted to add. Perhaps just getting better at identifying what scope can be achieved within the time frame (or I guess there was one extra day- so makes sense I finished a day early).

mimusic

Adding a wavy heat effect so that player knows when it's time to start worrying about stuff like fires and crops drying up

HayManMarc

Ha, well this has been weird. I'm not feeling my 4th attempt at a game where you TURN IT OFF AND ON AGAIN either:

The idea here was that anything immobile could be phased in and out. The green gem/coin things were planned to get destroyed if an enemy touched them, which would cause a level restart, but you could phase the gems out to protect them, though you couldn't collect them (which was the intended goal to win a level) unless you put them back in phase. Enemies can be killed by phasing a wall out and back in on them, etc.

As always though, I learned stuff, so it was totally worth participating in the jam. :)
• I used keyboard_set_map() for the first time and learned how to use that in my usual enum data structure for inputs, so that'll be useful in future jams and other things. e.g.:
Code:
// input

keyboard_set_map( ord("A"), vk_left );
keyboard_set_map( ord("D"), vk_right);
keyboard_set_map( ord("W"), vk_up   );
keyboard_set_map( ord("S"), vk_down );

enum in
{
    left   = vk_left,
    right  = vk_right,
    up     = vk_up,
    down   = vk_down
}
• I used the opportunity to practice handling state machines in a better way than I have in the past, so it was nice to confirm that it works well and I can use the same structuring in my bigger projects that I have planned.
• I got to learn a bit more in the GMS2 sprite editor which I don't usually make much use of, but this time I used it for all the graphics, and it was pretty fun to 'limit' myself to that.
• I used the GM48 Time-Lapse Tool to capture the development process for the first time as well, and it's awesome. I threw it into VD as the instructions in the link suggest and I got a video out of it very easily. There's really no reason to upload my progress this time, but now I'm fully prepared to do that next time.
• I learned other things too, but honestly, is anyone even reading this? There's probably almost no reason for anyone to do so, aside from extreme boredom. :p
Holy crap! Our games look so similar. Lol

woodsmoke

Love the monster and the art style
Thanks! I hope the lack of colour isn't a turn off. It helps the readability of the game.

Edit: Too bad I didn't have time to experiment more with the colour palette. Had to go to work today. @Baukereg really hit the spot with his colour palette.

Last edited:
W

wkaudio

Okay, I did all I could today, which means the project must be wrapped here! You can download Elephants Don't Play Videogames After Dark here!

This Jam was fun and I look forward to playing all of your games! :D

mimusic

There's something very nice about being able to build the level maker/editor into the game itself, a sense of security in immediately knowing (a) if the level is broken and (b) if the level is even fun :p

There's a lot of cool stuff happening this jam, I'm excited to see all the entries

hippyman

So many cool little screens and gifs. Excited to check out the games.

@hippyman It may be too late from something overly complicated. especially without a team already in place. you may want to do something simple that you know you can get done in time. My entry is done. I would help within reason. Assuming there is no rule against having two submissions.
Yeah I kind of figured it would be too late. I basically just started writing whatever came to my head first and then recorded it so yeah... I'll have something to submit it's just not going to be great. lol

B

Baukereg

Less than four hours to go. Yes, I did keep the scope small. And yes, I'm still short on time. :)

The M

Game is live and maybe also playable. I kind of rushed it towards the end so balancing might be way off :D

woodsmoke

Was up till 2:40am last night. At work now and pretty functional for the lack of sleep I had. But I just can't get the chip tune music out of my head! It's burnt into my brain! NYAARRRG!!

Last edited:

Ax209

Guys I havn't slept since Saturday night. So I'm overtired, and I'm also gonna play the "I'm on the spectrum and got terrible adhd" card too.

Someone please just confirm, this jam ends at 13:00 GMT, right? So I have three hours left?

O

orSQUADstra

Finally finished my game! I could only make two levels (one is a tutorial) though. But I'm happy with how it looks and plays. I've actually been having a great time making it, I should participate in jams more often :D

Also, good luck with the additional duck hunting for anyone who tries it out! There's an achievement for collecting all of 'em ;)

Last edited:
D

DougM

I'm impressed by a lot of the games I'm seeing! You can really get a lot done if a few days.

Bart

WiseBart
My game's in and somewhat playable. I hope it provides ar least some entertainment value :D
It was fun again!