GMC Jam Discussion The Thirsty 33rd GMC Jam - Discussion Topic

S

Storyteller

Code:
B e s t  o f  t h e  o l d  G M  f o r u m
_ _ _ _  _ _  _ _ _  _ _ _  _ _  _ _ _ _ _
z e r o  i s  o n e  o n e  i s  t w a i n
really, I think its the earlier 'turn it off and on again' guess from: @flyingsaucerinvasion
great early guess there person.

L

Lt. Farfetch'd

A martial arts game where the player masters the ways of the wet ramen. I’ve been naughty and already started making assets around this theme.
I've been so busy trying to think up code challenges that I've had no time at all to consider wet ramen-based game ideas.
Alternate suggestion:
BASE IS NOT ONE OR THREE

:p

Micah_DS

My skinny fat self is loving the wet ramen and pizza themes. Now my mind is on food, so:

TAKE MY JAM AND GO FIGHT
MEAT IS THE NEW IN BREAD

BTW, here's my MUSIC LOOP + FADE HANDLING ASSET that I plan to use in my jam game. I hope it can be of use to others. It consists of 4 GML scripts. The main instructions are in the bgm_initialize script.
In short, the secret to better looping than the usual "track_position -= loop_length", is doing that, but adding in a few ms crossfade on the loop to eliminate clicks and other issues that arise from the random timing offset you get when using the track get and set functions.
I planned on improving the scripts more then making a video for it, but I'm kind of out of time, since work and stuff is going to take most of my time from now up till the jam, so it is what it is.

WAYS OF THE WET OF RAMEN
I don't think any guess will beat this one for me. It's just too good.

(I edited this post so much because I'm really tired to the point of typing rather stupid stuff -- gonna try to get some rest to regain my sanity for work tomorrow)

Last edited:

KPJ

Just to be sure, when does the game jam start? I live in an EST time zone, and I got confused with the UTC. Also, it says the jam is from the 23rd at 12:00 UTC, then says that it is on friday noon. However the 23rd is a Thursday. Can someone help me clear this up? Thanks!

C

Caoin Forde

Just wondering is there gonna be another temporary full license like last jam or was that just a one time thing?

curato

I glad they went with the extra day to ponder what you want to do. I have been doing my best to avoid any thinking of what I might to if it is a certain theme until I see that the them is for sure.

KPJ

EST is 4 hours behind UTC. So it will begin at 8AM on Thursday 23rd for you.
Thank your for the answer! So, the jam (for EST), will be from 8:00 AM Thursday to 8:00 AM Monday? However, it says "Jam will take place between May 23rd, 12:00 UTC (Friday noon)" However, doesn't the jam start on a Thursday? Why does it say "Friday Noon?"

O.Stogden

Thank your for the answer! So, the jam (for EST), will be from 8:00 AM Thursday to 8:00 AM Monday? However, it says "Jam will take place between May 23rd, 12:00 UTC (Friday noon)" However, doesn't the jam start on a Thursday? Why does it say "Friday Noon?"
Previous Jams started on a Friday, however there was a vote to move this Jam to start a day earlier, to allow people more time. Most likely that text was copy and pasted from previous jams and is an error that wasn't corrected.

KPJ

Previous Jams started on a Friday, however there was a vote to move this Jam to start a day earlier, to allow people more time. Most likely that text was copy and pasted from previous jams and is an error that wasn't corrected.
Thanks a lot for your clarification!

T

thijsmie

Clue four is interesting...
The solution is always binary

Bart

WiseBart
I'm in again!
Will be playing around with physics this time.

My guess on the theme: "Just do mod two in loops". The result of that operator is always binary.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
1 hour to go!

I'll be opening & closing the jam, but I'm away most of this weekend so @Alice has kindly offered to ensure the jam runs smoothly in my absence. If you have any issues during the jam, PM @Alice! :)

Relic

I'm here, and ready to go! Bring on the theme.....

Edit: Oops - seems like timezones have changed over the seasons or something. I'm an hour too early.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
The GMC Jam clock has already passed the countdown. What is the theme? :3

The M

No, this one waits until you have plenty of unsaved stuff, then steals input and gives you "reboot now" as only option. :D

Micah_DS

Alright, I gotta get to sleep now so I can wake up and go to work, then I'll probably try to get to sleep early after returning from work so I can wake up early the next day and start jamming. So I'll be starting just a tad late, but I'm totally in this thing! Can't wait!

G

GVmG

heck yeah we jammin

time to make some games based on technical difficulties and the most effective fix in the history of technology

S

Storyteller

my internet is out, so Ive not much time here at the coffee shop.
I will see if I can get in something that resembles a game, but Ill be working offline without help from the web.
I do hope the documentation will load offline ok. Im starting GM now to see if it needs updates.

Ill try to post something this weekend.

good luck everyone!

Mercerenies

A wild Mercerenies appeared.

Hi, guys, I exist again. Going to try to give this one a shot. I have 0 time on Sunday, so I'll be here from today to Saturday pretty much. Right now, just getting my Windows partition up to date so that everything doesn't crash when I start using it.

Bentley

Crap! I misread the Jam date and theme. I thought it said the theme was "Conquest" which sounded familiar and I now know why. OMG. I was working on last Jam's theme.

I'm seeing things. sighhhhhhh

Last edited:

NightFrost

I have an idea for a game (probably similar to what many others have, since the theme shouts "puzzle game" pretty loud) but I'm not sure if I have enough time to finish it before deadline. I'm going to try anyway since I want to explore creating the mechanics, but in general it definitely isn't a good idea to overreach like this...

W

wkaudio

Hi guys! I'm having a lot of fun working on this jam game. I'm an OK programmer so my game won't be groundbreaking but i think it will be fun. What it lacks in depth I hope to make up with charm. Hope it will put a smile on your faces! :)

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Just for the record, @julkibr is looking for someone to team up with (they are a programmer/artist).
So I am an novice programmer/artist I kinda of do both but never been able to truly finish an game unfortunately but I am looking foward to change it.
I don't know if you can call it an portfolio but i am used to post some art and gameplay in the following sites:
https://9gag.com/u/jcmcf2010/posts
https://twitter.com/Jcmcf1996

ghandpivot

Great theme, could have been really interesting but I'm in my exam period. If I actually manage to steal some hours from sleep I might post something super-duper small.