answer:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Clue 2
answer:
1-> 0-> 1

Clue 3
answer:
The theme contains 6 English words and no punctuation

NOTE: please pm @Alice for help during the jam, as @GameDevDan is away.

The GMC Jam is a WILD game development contest run every 3 months by the GameMaker Community. This is the 33rd such jam marking 8 years and 3 months of its existence! (Phew).

Members compete to make the best game possible over the course of just 96 hours.​

GMC Jam 33 will take place on the following dates:

May 23rd, 2019 12:00 UTC - May 27th, 2019 12:00 UTC
(Countdown Clock)

• Any GMC member can take part in the GMC Jam. You must use GameMaker to create your game.
  • Games must be made between 12:00 UTC on May 23rd and 12:00 UTC on May 27th, and posted in the games topic.
  • You may use resources such as graphics, sounds and scripts that were made prior to the jam, as long as the bulk of your work takes place during Jam weekend.
  • You may create one post per entry in the games topic. You may create this post before your game is finished and continue editing that post to update your progress, in fact you are encouraged to write a devlog!
  • All entries must have a download link in the Games Topic before it closes at 12:00 UTC on May 27th.
  • All entries must work on Windows as a standalone executable / compressed zip folder. No installers please. Your entry can also work in HTML5 and on other platforms, but only the Windows build will be judged.
  • All entries are encouraged to follow the Jam theme. It isn't mandatory to do so, but you'll often get more favourable reviews from your peers!
  • You may participate alone or in a team of up to 3 members. See the "teams" section below if you're looking for teammates.
That's all you need to know, but more information will be available in the Games Topic when it opens!

• As soon as the Jam ends on May 27th at 12:00 UTC, a zip folder of the games will be created and posted in the voting topic so that players can download all the entries at once if they wish.
  • Voters will then have around 2 weeks to play and rank the games and voting will close on June 10th at 12:00 UTC.
  • Any member of the GMC can vote, even if they didn't enter the jam. You cannot vote for your own entry. Votes shall be posted in the voting topic.
  • Voters are encouraged to rank as many games as possible, and their final votes must include at least their top 3 games. More information on this will be provided in the voting topic when it opens.
Boring technical info about how the votes are counted: Entries receive points based on where each voter ranked them, following the formula 1/(rank+1). So if a voter puts a game 1st, it gets 0.5 points. If a voter puts a game 6th, it gets ~0.143 points. These are all added up by the Jam Host to find the overall rank for each game.

That's all you need to know, but more information will be available in the Voting Topic when it opens!

Main Prizes
  • The winner(s) get to decide the Theme of the next GMC Jam.
  • The top 3 entrants, as well as winners of the "Best Of" categories will win personalised banners for their forum signature and a place in the Hall of Fame topic.
  • More to be confirmed...

Community Prizes

Members can offer their own prizes for the GMC Jam. PM me, @GameDevDan , and I'll add your prize to the list. NOTES: You should offer something based on your skills, rather than a commercial prize. You will also need to handle giving out the prizes yourselves after the end of the jam.
  • @Micah_DS - A fan work of my favorite game from the top 7 ranked games. This could be a remix of a song from the game, art related to the game, a special trophy, a full play through video with commentary endlessly praising the game, etc.
  • @Alexx - I would like to offer a community prize to 10 random entries. I wish to offer 1000 professionally recorded voice audio: https://www.learngamemakerstudio.com/product/voice-audio/
  • ...no more prizes, why not submit one?

You may enter the GMC Jam as part of a team (up to 3 members). Sometimes collaborating as part of a team can help you to e-meet new and interesting people. Here we will list people looking for teammates. If you want to be added to the list, send me @GameDevDan , a private message with the skills you are offering.

The more people that enter the jam, the more fun we'll all have! Spread the word far and wide. Use the hashtag #GMCJam on Twitter (and other social media networks), join the Discord Chat, and talk about your games on the GameMaker Reddit. You are, of course, encouraged to talk about the Jam as much as possible here on the GameMaker Community. Create a devlog on the Work In Progress forum if you dare, and definitely post your thoughts, comments and memes in this very discussion topic!

You can also change your signature to tell other GMC members about the jam:

Signature Image:

BB Code:
Code:
[url=https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/the-thirsty-gmc-jam-33-discussion-topic.62600/][img]https://i.imgur.com/pUpROER.png[/img][/url]

Last edited by a moderator:

Micah_DS

I'm hoping my work schedule changes in time to get weekends free so I can participate. It's still kind of up in the air if that'll happen, but at least my boss is trying.
I hope it works out, because it feels like it's been ages since I actually made a jam game, and I'm itching to jam.

S

Squirtle Plays

I don't think I'm up to the challenge but who knows I might try

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
Just a general thought to anyone who may feel excluded: Remember, you don't have to use all 4 days to enter. Any amount of spare time will do!

I've made several games that took a few hours or less in previous jams (Spud Pump, Ballooning Over The Ocean, Just Pop Bubbles, Jam Battle Shooter). They're obviously joke games but it still helps to feel involved in what the community is doing :)

curato

I am looking to participate myself. Never too early to give away the theme :p

Also, if anyone is looking to team up

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
Just in case either of those were serious (I'm guessing no, but you never know!) I haven't revealed the number of spaces in the theme yet. Those ???s are placeholders. :p

K

Karamelow

Ooooh! Somehow I can't wait to see the theme (secretely hoping that it will be "cute stuff" related thing lol). Since I'm new here, if ever I'm participating, it will be my first time here O/

S

SoftwenOP

Even though I'm new to using Game Maker again and this forum, I think I'll give this game jam a go, which will make it the first game jam I've ever participated in. My game likely won't be great even by game jam standards given my lack of experience, though it still seems like a fun way to engage with the forums and learn more.

NightFrost

All right, looks like I should be able to participate. Hopefully I'll be able to pull better ideas from the theme this time around, unlike previously.

Toque

Even though I'm new to using Game Maker again and this forum, I think I'll give this game jam a go, which will make it the first game jam I've ever participated in. My game likely won't be great even by game jam standards given my lack of experience, though it still seems like a fun way to engage with the forums and learn more.
Give it a go.
Have fun. I bet your game will be better than you think.

S

Storyteller

...hype?
(if I can get gms2 to run on my laptop anyway)

L

Lt. Farfetch'd

Yo yo, I’m keen as.
I’ll be releasing the first clue for the theme in about 10 hours (almost exactly 2 weeks from jam start).

I’m going to be clueing y’all in in a slightly unconventional way this time around. Hope it can contribute to the hype a little! Stay tuned. :D

T

TinyGamesLab

I don't think il be able to join this time.... I've got a 10 day old daughter home! So i'm sad, about the jam, but happy at the same time, about the daughter.
I'll definately try to play and give feedback to the games! Least I could to this awesome community!

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
Just a general thought to anyone who may feel excluded: Remember, you don't have to use all 4 days to enter. Any amount of spare time will do!

I've made several games that took a few hours or less in previous jams (Spud Pump, Ballooning Over The Ocean, Just Pop Bubbles, Jam Battle Shooter). They're obviously joke games but it still helps to feel involved in what the community is doing :)
My favourite joke entry I made was a painting app called PaintB***h
People liked it if I recall

L

Lt. Farfetch'd

Here we go. The first clue is thus!

>Go Here<

This year the clues will be released as a series of small online challenges of increasing difficulty.

If you find a clue, it is at your discretion whether you post it here.
Any clues revealed this way will be collated at the top of this thread by our kind-hearted overlord, @GameDevDan

Go for it!

Edit: Forgot to mention, please don’t hit any of the sites with botnets, etc. you won’t achieve anything but costing me a small amount of money. :p

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
I got the first clue:
The theme contains 19 characters across multiple words (excluding spaces)
I wonder, if I put the clue in spoilers, then is Dan also supposed to put the clues in spoiler? *thinking*

(I guess if someone wants to figure stuff on their own, then linking to the pages where riddles are posted would be good as well...)

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Actually, given the clue we got from @Lt. Farfetch'd , this guess cannot be correct, because it has 19 characters including spaces... ^^'

(perhaps giving an answer to the 1st clue as the character blanks doesn't work so well, because most people are used to this meaning any character)

--- EDIT ---

Also, going by the Jam clock- wait, less than 10 days already?!

I mean, going by the Jam clock displayed theme, as shown here:

the theme cannot be anything else but:
Code:
-- ------ ---- -------
ml larger than nothing
Well, we got it figured out, see you at the Jam. ^^

Last edited:
L

Lt. Farfetch'd

@Alice that’s true, “melancholy game dev” would fall short by two characters. Also I think you might have meant to say “excluding spaces”. :)

Next clue is in ~13.5 hours. After today, there are another 3 over the course of the next 9 days.

L

Lt. Farfetch'd

The second clue is thus!

>Go Here<

And you're going to need to decode the following Burrows-Wheeler transformed word:
Code:
erntmeoap$ga
(Yes it is case sensitive).

Edit: You'll need to drop the '$' identifier to get the word alone. For clarity I've changed it to the '$' delimited encoding.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
I got the password, but I have no idea where to enter it and I can't see instructions anywhere. Anyone could help out with that?
The password I got is:
Code:
pom3granat3

NightFrost

I got the password, but I have no idea where to enter it and I can't see instructions anywhere. Anyone could help out with that?
You can see a verifier.js link in the source code, which will doubtlessly display a clue once you pick the script apart and figure how to give it the password. Sadly I lack the time to do this, so I'll leave it to someone else fluent in JS.

C

Caoin Forde

You can see a verifier.js link in the source code, which will doubtlessly display a clue once you pick the script apart and figure how to give it the password. Sadly I lack the time to do this, so I'll leave it to someone else fluent in JS.
Took a look at that source code and safe to say i dont have a clue what is going on in there

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
So, as for the second clue I finally received...
Yes, I noticed the verifier.js script. I hoped I wouldn't need to pick the script apart, but I had to nonetheless. I already deal with lots of JS at work, why make me do that* on my free time! And absurdly obfuscated, at that! >.<

Either way, once I figured out how to enter the password, I got the following message:
Nicely Done! Here's your reward:

1->0->1

Good luck beyond this point!
To be honest, for all this decryption and deobfuscation I had to go through, I've found the clue to be somewhat underwhelming; as in, not really explaining anything without another mental hoop to jump through. My brain is already enough of a melted mush as it is. >.<

*Of course, I'm not exactly forced to go and decrypt the clue, but seriously, this is just making me way too curious.

L

Lt. Farfetch'd

Woo, nicely done. You guys have been super efficient getting these clues so far. :D
Next one is in 2 days.

The obfuscation is quite complicated, for sure. In fact, some components of it aren't reversible unless you know specifically what was done to it. I expected that somebody might try
'verify'
as a function name, though I appreciate that it was a bit too much of guessing game (or painstaking if you managed to de-obfuscate the file).
Thanks @Alice and @Caoin Forde for the feedback. :) While web penetration should have a degree of difficulty, I'm more than happy to play around with the sort of difficulty I incorporate. Obfuscation is probably not the most rewarding or fun form.

I would anticipate that the next clue (in conjunction with the other two) will potentially put the theme itself within guessing distance. But since we were still 9-10 days out, I didn't want the first two clues together to give away too much, hence the cryptic nature.

S

Storyteller

Code:
_ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _
S t r u c t  P o i n t e r  C h a i n s

L

Lonewolff

Code:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
M u s t B e M a d e I n U n i t y 3 D
Man, I always get hyped around Jam time and then always abort at the last minute. Hoping to break tradition this time around.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
I would anticipate that the next clue (in conjunction with the other two) will potentially put the theme itself within guessing distance. But since we were still 9-10 days out, I didn't want the first two clues together to give away too much, hence the cryptic nature.
I mean, I don't mind when the clue doesn't give away enough information to make the theme reasonably guessable. However, I feel that once the clue is reached, it should be understandable enough to reliably eliminate some options. Otherwise, fellow people guessing the theme for the Jam but aren't too good with riddles will end up left out somewhat.

I mean, something like "the theme has 5 letter A's" doesn't give away enough information to give people a good chance at guessing, but it's clearly understandable and allows guessers to narrow down some options.

As for the clue itself...
I'd figure that 1->0->1 would mean either "the theme has 3 words, one long word, one short word and one just as long as the first" or - what I find more likely - it's got something to do with switching or toggling (this kinda looks like a boolean going from true to false and back). Like, I dunno...
Code:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _   _ _ _ _ _ _   _ _ _ _ _
N i n t e n d o   S w i t c h   G a m e s