Released The Struggle of Combat - New update released!

Yrbiax

GamePageBigNew.png

The Struggle of Combat is rogue-lite shooter with randomly generated maps.

There are currently:
- 7 zones with different enemies and bosses.
- 8 playable characters
- 23 different weapons with tons of variations.
- 45 possible upgrades

Trailer:

Trailer for new update:

The Struggle of Combat is now available on Steam!

The Struggle of Combat on itch.io:

Last edited:
S

ScrapMettle

I like it! Interesting enemy variation and it looks like it'd just in general be fun to play.

R

Red Phantom

Yrbiax this looks like a lot of fun! I love the feeling of indie feel this game has, I especially love that cactus-like enemy character. It's obvious you've put a decent effort into the programming/coding and also design of this game. The platformer, shooter style of this game reminds me a bit of my own game (currently demo) too. I am keen to play when you release a demo.

Looks cool, but I really don't like the title. It sounds like it was thought up by someone who wasn't a native english speaker. Other than that, it looks pretty cool ey, keep working on it for sure.

Toque

Agree about the title.
Struggle with combat
Struggle and combat
Struggle of combat is just a little off sounding.

I mean, all of those sounds like descriptions to me, not titles. Struggle and Combat together just don't seem like title material to me. Find something unique about the game and emphasise that with the title (for instance, my game has the unique quality of you being a mage that deals with plants in a Stardew Valley type scenario, so Flora (plant-life) + mancer (mage) emphasises the hook of the game without being generic). I haven't played it obviously, so it's hard to give suggestions, but even Struggle is a better title by itself than struggle of combat...Btw, struggle has now become a weird looking word to me because it's been repeated so much :D

Morendral

I think adding "The" to the beginning of the title is necessary, as it's grammatically required. Imo that's why it sounds off.

The struggle of combat

In the same way "neverending story" doesn't sound right without "the" in front

I agree, but it's still super generic. I can say with 100% certainty that a game titled "The struggle of combat" is -not- a game I would ever download on steam (and that's if it's free...Think about that, if it were FREE on steam I wouldn't download it because the title is literally nothing to me). It just sounds so goddamn generic. I would give examples of generic titles, but I can't come up with anything more generic than "The struggle of combat". It's like "Keyboard makes game work". "The struggle of combat" sounds like a chapter title in a badly written book. Definitely not the book's title. It's a description, it's not a hook.

Remember: No-one cares about your game. Literally no-one cares. Ask a thousand truly random people about -a- game (not yours specifically) and 99% will say they don't care. You HAVE to hook people in. Struggle and combat are both completely generic words. They don't describe anything. EVERY game has a struggle (otherwise what is the point...) and 95% of games have combat (and if you think combat is a unique hook of your game, you're sorely mistaken). Every example of combat is a struggle and every struggle can be described as combat. You combated the struggle of climbing a mountain. You struggled against the combat of a ping pong game. It's so generic. Pick something unique about the game and point it out. Combat and struggle are synonyms in most senses. If you think about it that way it's like titling your game "The combat of combat".

Last edited:

Yrbiax

To be honest i used random game name generator and picked struggle of combat because it sounded funny.
I may change name if i come up with something good.

If you're happy with it, and you don't care about "Market Perception" then it's fine as a name. Just saying that if you did want it to do well, then that name -might- not be great (obviously, I can't speak for the market, but as I've said above, I would avoid a game named like that and I'm pretty sure there's plenty of others).

Yrbiax

Forgot to tell controls.

movement - WASD or arrowkeys
jump - w or space
shoot - mouse 1
melee - mouse 2
use ability - F
pickup items - E
swap weapon - Q
reload - R
Pause/Options - esc

Although i dont recommend visiting with audio options. Currently it messes up audio levels.

Yrbiax

Right now there are 5 Difficulty mods.

- Elite: enemies are faster and some have additional abilities
- Damage: 2 x damage received
- Health: enemies have +50% health
- Boss: Every level has additional mini-boss
- Time: After 45-60 seconds reinforcements appear from beginning of the map

Currently im working on additional bosses.

Vulture rider:
VultureRider.png
Batman:
batman.png

GarlicGuy

I tried to download your game but forgot I don't have RAR :p. Watching the video, I can tell this is a game that I'd enjoy playing for hours on end! I love roguelikes! The death screams the bad guys make is very satisfying!

I also love the cyanide and happiness style graphics.

MHP Labs

So nices!!
I think that menu system is strange (need to click 2 times to select) I think that is better to use "mouse enter" effects and click only one time...
When you die, the menu system is diferent (need to use keyboard), why???
And the shuriken has alittle bug I think... the ammunition draws "4.50, 3.50, 2.50, 1.50 and 0.5" this is a bug no???

PD: sry my bad english im spanish xD
PD2: where is the other levels that I see in the post??? D:

Of course, continue the game!! is very very good with very good musical ambience and funny enemies xDD

Ah, and the "explosion shoes item" doesnt work

Yrbiax

Thanks for feedback!

think that menu system is strange (need to click 2 times to select) I think that is better to use "mouse enter" effects and click only one time...
When you die, the menu system is diferent (need to use keyboard), why???
I know menu is kinda bad now, but i put more effort into it once im finished with rest of the game.

And the shuriken has alittle bug I think... the ammunition draws "4.50, 3.50, 2.50, 1.50 and 0.5" this is a bug no???
I will fix weapon descriptions for next version.

PD2: where is the other levels that I see in the post??? D:
Demo version have only 3 zones, rest of the levels will be in full version.

Ah, and the "explosion shoes item" doesnt work
Explosion shoes only work if you have enough falling speed. I might buff them, since they are kinda useless now :D

Yrbiax

Prison will be starting room. Enemies will appear to prison cells as you defeat them. (I will redraw these later...)

Prisonscreenshot.PNG

Prisoners can also be released if you have unlocked key. This will open shortcut.

desertkey.png
Keys can only be bought if you have elite, damage and health difficulty mods active.

Yrbiax

Special weapons now have limited ammo. Weapons still have infinite ammo, but bullets lose their special effects.

New item Carrier Bat in action.

Yrbiax

treasurechest.png
Keys are now inside treasure chest instead of shop.

cavekey.png
Treasure chest opens when conditions are met.

Looking for game testers!

Development of gameplay is almost completed, so im looking for game testers. (Im still going to redraw all graphics.)
Let me know If you are intrested. I will send you link to full version in private message.

Last edited:
R

Red Phantom

I had a go at it. This is about as far as I got. It's lots of fun, I suggest making enemies drop more fruit (to regain health).
Improve fruit sprites. I like enemies, I like the weapons. I like the jail idea and start screen.

Struggle of Combat.PNG

Yrbiax

Thanks for playing!

I had a go at it. This is about as far as I got. It's lots of fun, I suggest making enemies drop more fruit (to regain health).
There is upgrade in shop that increases fruit droprate.

Improve fruit sprites. I like enemies, I like the weapons. I like the jail idea and start screen.
Im going to redraw all sprites now that most of the gameplay is done.

R

Red Phantom

I did a 5 minute gameplay review for you:

I rated your game's: visual, audio, story and gameplay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yrbiax

Looks like you played old version of demo. Newest version have updated menu screen.

I think you are right about brown background. Im probably going to remove it, since other levels dont have that kind of layer either.

Last edited:

Yrbiax

I have now started redrawing of graphics.
There will not be huge changes to most of characters. I will mainly try to get rid of small imperfections and create slightly smoother walking animation.
OldsVulture.pngNewsVulture.png

Yrbiax

Here is video comparing old and new sprites that i have drawn so far. Probably still going to make some changes to some of these sprites. (Vultures are too big etc...)

Kahrabaa

Hey! Gameplay was really fun, I liked the variation in weapons/items and enemies. Seems like the levels are somewhat random generated? Kept it fresh after dying.

Some constructive feedback:
-The camera goes too far ground and you can see the background below the floor
-When I die, I really should keep some stuff, like exp gained/ weapons collected or a health boost. That would motivate me to continue playing. I only got to the cave and kept dying because my hp was 10 when I entered, So everytime I died I came back with 10 hp.
-Would be nice with some particle effects. Like dust when enemy or player lands on the floor. Blast effect when a weapon is shot and a simple impact effect when the bullets hit the enemy.

(Vultures are too big etc...)
They looked cool both before and after. I think you should focus and adding more detail to the backgrounds and floor instead of changing details

Also well done with the different AI types.
Awesome death sound effects :D

Good luck

Yrbiax

Thanks for playing!

Yes, levels are randomly generated.

-The camera goes too far ground and you can see the background below the floor
This is on purpose. For example fishes use this area.

-When I die, I really should keep some stuff, like exp gained/ weapons collected or a health boost. That would motivate me to continue playing. I only got to the cave and kept dying because my hp was 10 when I entered, So everytime I died I came back with 10 hp.
Keeping exp would break balance of game, but i could consider full health on restart. This was supposed to be roguelike, but i kept level restart for sake of testing.
Im still not entirely sure if i want this to be roguelike. Perhaps i implement some kind of life system instead.

-Would be nice with some particle effects. Like dust when enemy or player lands on the floor. Blast effect when a weapon is shot and a simple impact effect when the bullets hit the enemy.
I will consider adding special effects :D There is small blast effect, but its so kinda hard to notice.

John Andrews

Living Enigma
Looks awesome, kind of reminds me of terraria when you fight bosses and stuff, I like these kind of games, 2d sidescroller/platformers, I'll give it a try!

Edit after playing: I freaking love it! Reminds me of the times I used to be a kid and just made games for pure fun, and this game is fun on itself, it doesn't have a complex story, simple mechanics that makes the game easy to understand, you just have to go right and keep going, such a funny game, and yet it's still challenging at some points, it's simply... so good.

It's a gem, I'll keep watch on this game and I hope you keep doing a great job, because this is an excellent game ;)

Last edited:

Yrbiax

Thanks for playing!

Im glad you liked it. Gameplay has always been main focus, i kinda created story on the fly. :D

Yrbiax

Here is small update on new sprites. Currently struggling with owl flying animation.
sWolf.png sOwl.png
Old sprites

sWolf2.png sOwl.png
New sprites

Yrbiax

I added custom level creation. You can now generate more interesting maps and choose what enemies will spawn.

You can customize:
- Tile generation
- Map size
- Enemy spawns
- Enemy Health and Damage

I will add more options later (bosses, darkness and backgrounds etc...)
lcustomSoc2.png customSoc3.png CustomLevel2.png customSoc4.png

Last edited:
J

JON213

This game is pretty cool. I like that it's randomly generated the ai is pretty cool.
Just wondering how you make the art for your game because I think it looks pretty good.

Yrbiax

Thanks!

I make graphics with Paint.NET and finish details in gamemaker studios own image editor.
Not exactly professional artist but i try my best :D