Forum Staff
Welcome to the GMC Jam #4 Games Topic!

The theme is...

VOYAGE

I bet no-one saw that coming.

Rules

Who?
  • any GMC member is welcome to participate in GMC Jam and submit their entry
  • each entry must be made by a single GMC member or a team of up to 3 people; people outside GMC can be in the team, as long as at least one GMC member is in that team
  • each participant can make or contribute to as many entries as they want, but they can only claim rewards for one of them (unless the reward is given specifically for the entry)
  • each entry must have a single post in this Jam's games topic (opened once the Jam officially starts), and no two entries can share the same post
  • the Games topic post can be used to present the entry progress; it can also contain a devlog
  • by the time the Jam ends, each Games topic post must contain a valid link to the entry downloadable file

How?
  • each entry must have a single, its own post in this very topic; no two entries can share the same post
  • each post in this topic must be related to a single entry; the place for discussion is the discussion thread, not the games topic
  • the entry post can be used to present the entry progress, as well as a devlog
  • you are free to use any devlog format as long as you can make it work in a forum post
  • by the time the Jam ends, the entry post must contain a valid link to entry files to qualify
  • if you find this topic is closed and you cannot edit your entry anymore, DO PANIC because it means Jamming time ended and I started wrapping up the ZIP; also, send me a message as soon as possible with a valid link to the entry

What?
  • the entry must be an original creation made in GameMaker specifically for the Jam, within the Jam timeframe
  • the entry might use assets (graphics, audio, scripts, extensions, Marketplace resources etc.) created before the Jam, whether by team members or someone else; however, the credits should make clear where the assets come from and which were made before the Jam
  • the creators of the entry must have rights to all of the assets; unlicensed use of resources is not allowed
  • the entry must be available as a Windows executable file, exported as a stand-alone file or as a ZIP; installers are not allowed
  • the entry might be exported to other platforms as well (such as HTML5 or Android), but the Windows executable must be available
  • the entry must not require admin privileges to run or mess with the system in any other way

Remember, as everywhere else, general Community Guidelines apply.

Recommended format

To make things easier for both participants and Jam host, guidelines about entry post and file structure has been prepared. It's not mandatory to follow, but it's recommended, as it keeps things organised and makes wrapping up entries easier.

The template in the spoiler below is suggested for entry post. If you have your own creative idea about it, by all means go for it, but please do include:
  • the game title
  • the list of team members and a team name; or just your own username if you go solo
  • the download link, clearly labeled as "DOWNLOAD"

Code:
[center][size=7]The Best Game Title in the World[/size]
[size=5]by [b]My Username[/b][/size]                        // if the game is made by one person
[size=5]by [b]Team XYZ[/b] (Xerxes, Yeti, Zed)[/size]       // if the game is made by the team
[size=5]by [b]Xerxes[/b], [b]Yeti[/b], [b]Zed[/b][/size]                         // if the team has no official name

[img]http://link-to-screenshot.com/[/img]           // if you have a screenshot
<no screenshot yet>                                 // if you don't

[size=6][url=http://download-link.net/]DOWNLOAD[/url][/size]        // if you have a playable version
<no download yet>                                                   // if you don't yet
    // you might also include additional download mirror links
    // or e.g. link to the game page or topic in Made with GameMaker
    // but the download should be the first link of all
[/center]

// after that, present the devlog however you like, within rules

Additionally, when you wrap up entry files to download, it is suggested that you:
  • make sure it's not an installer
  • make a folder called "Entry Title by Author", or "Entry Title by Team Name", or "Entry Title by Comma, Separated, Authors", put unpacked game file(s) directly in that folder, and ZIP the whole folder
  • add a 120x120px thumbnail that will be displayed by Jam Player, so that your game is recognised more easily
  • make a README file with credits, especially if you used external assets; files with README in name are recognized by Jam Player
  • if your README file is necessary to play the game (e.g. it includes the instructions not available in the game), call it README_PLEASE; if README is not required to play the game, please use the regular README
  • if there's some additional information you need the voter to know after they play the game, but before they vote, you might make an AFTERWORD file (also recognized by Jam Player); there you might mention cheat codes, explain the use of theme if it's not obvious or revealed at the late point in the game etc.
  • if you still have some time, playtest the game and send it to your little dog, too; there are few things ruining the experience more effectively than crashes!
  • make sure it's not an installer, just once again for a good measure

Once again, following these guidelines is not obligatory, but it'll be appreciated.

Now let the Jamming commence!

Last edited:

ghandpivot

DOWNLOAD THE GAME HERE

This time around I can not reveal too much about my game. I do hope you play it and that you find it amusing :)

I got about 4-5 hours of work done on the project in the first day, then I had to go back to studies.

The second day I finished it around 2 AM, with another 9 hours of work.

So I accidentally made a leak storing all particles...

Here's an image of the game:

Last edited:

The M

Into the Earth

A driller thriller!
Download!

Devlog

Friday
- 70 hours left -
It's begun! I don't have a great idea but I have one that I think will work with the theme and will be fun enough. I need to study a lot this weekend so I really shouldn't spend all my time jamming but we'll see how it goes. My goal is to make a simple game and add tons of polish to it. That'll give me some leeway in case I run out of time.

- 68 hours left -
I've been tweaking the movement system and the mining shaft graphics to better align with the player. I don't like how you tilt so quickly when you turn but I'm not sure how to best solve that.

These posts are just gonna be a bunch of pictures of dirt, aren't they?

- 65 hours left -
Yes, yes they are.

I'm trying to make mining look better, I'm not there yet but it's a start. The shaft is made using surfaces and polygons to cut out holes in the foreground where the player has passed, showing the background layer behind.

- 62 hours left -
I've added gold ore that you can mine (though there is no reward for doing so yet). I need to do something about the background behind the mined gold as I want you to see that there has been something there.

- 61 hours left -
Inflation...

- 60 hours left -
It's time to go to bed. I'll spare you a picture but I've got rocks now and they're annoying to mine through, which I hope is a good thing. Tomorrow I'll add fuel and heat; two systems that will determine how far you can get before stopping (or exploding).

Saturday
- 50 hours left -
Didn't get much sleep as a random phone call from Somalia woke me up in the middle of the night (things like this is why you should keep your phone muted). I have some things I need to take care of today but I'll make sure to get some proper work in on the jam game too!

- 48 hours left -
After 24 hours you can finally lose the game. Nothing really happens when you do but at least the effects are cool. I've added tons of screen shake, more mining particles and made tons of tweaks. Also, there's the fuel and heat meters up in the corner. (I'll talk more about how they work later when they're fully implemented).

- 45 hours left -
I've taken some time to fancify the two metres and made the drill stop when you run out of fuel. My next step is either adding fuel refills, improve the score display or tackle a mock exam in functional programming. Hmm, decisions...

- 44 hours left -
So I made a compromise and did half an exam before going back to the game and implementing a fancier score font. Onward to fuel barrels!

- 42 hours left -
You can refill your fuel by breaking through oil drums. If you power drill and avoid rocks, you'll barely reach the next refill before resulting in a net loss. Of course, if you keep going for too long you'll end up like this:

- 39 hours left -
I added a menu screen and an intro when you start the game. It's pretty neat but if I had more time, I'd try to improve it a little (there is something that's just a little bit off with the drop animation but I'm not a good enough animator to immediately tell what).

- 38 hours left -
I suppose now's as good a time as any to actually draw the player character and fix that placeholder. Considering that pretty much all of my art is final when I first draw it (with minor tweaks of course), it's funny that the player sprite got to wait until halfway through the jam. :)

- 36 hours left-
Half way there, woop!

There's one more thing that needs to be implemented (aside from any form of progression) before this game is complete, namely a way to restart once you die. I've been working on a highscore table and result tallying (you get score for mined gold and for depth reached) and it just about works. Of course, the highscore table happily ignores your score but is full of default generated placements.

I'll fix the rest of it tomorrow, add sound effects and music and maybe even online highscore if I can get that to work. Good night!

Sunday
- 25 hours left -
Highscore finally works, albeit local only. I'm torn about what I should do next but think I'll make some adjustments to the game's progression. Currently the game doesn't change which isn't very interesting. I'll see what can be done about that.

- 23 hours left -
I've adjusted and readjusted how gold and rocks spawn over a dozen times. I think I'll let it stay the way it is now for the time being. My to three priorities now are: sound/music, online highscore and a speed boost item. The last one is a bit odd compared to the rest but I think it'd be just what I need to change up the gameplay.

- 20 hours left -
Turns out a speed boost item completely ruins all balancing and is a nightmare to make good looking, but in it goes into the game anyways. Now for online highscore!

- 18 hours left -
The highs are online and ready to be scored! Only sound and music left now, and then some extra polish.

- 17 hours left -
Just for fun I tried to change resolution from my original smartphone port friendly narrow 360 by 640 to 1080 by 720. Surprisingly, it works rather well, but with all the new space the game gets unbalanced. Menu doesn't like the new size either so I'll keep my old layout.

- 15 hours left -
I haven't gotten much done in these last two hours. It's usually that way when I have to deal with sound effects but this time was especially painful because apparently some sounds get muted with the default sound settings and completely breaks unless you manually change it. *Sigh*

Oh,well. It's not a jam unless something screws you over at least once. :rolleyes:

- 12 hours left -
After a lot of struggle (you know there's a reason why I always end up adding the sound effects last :p) I feel satisfied with the audio. I have two more things I want to add: a controls display in the menu and gems to mine. Actually, make that three things because a pause button would be nice too (I better write that up somewhere...)!

I think there'll be plenty of time for that tomorrow, now I really have to go to bed. I need to study too, as I've kind of put that aside today. Ah, well. There's only twelve hours left of the jam, I can study afterwards!

Good night!

Monday
- 4 hours left -
I usually set my alarm clock a few hours earlier for the last jam day but this time I feel rather confident that I can fix the last few things within a reasonable time frame. We'll see if that cockiness ends up backfiring on me. :p

- 2 hours left -
Controls are displaying and gems are geming (or whatever gems do). The game is fun and there's plenty of time for a pause button, maybe even for a transition to the title screen after the game is over. Yay!

- 1.5 hours left -
You can pause the game with Escape, unless you're in the menu in which case you quit the game, or if you've paused already in which case you suicide, or if you're waiting for the score tally screen to pop up, or if you wait for it to be done or if it is done... *phew* There're a lot of cases to consider for this. :)

- 1 hour left -
I've added a download link (I don't want to take any chances here :p). I'll see if I can squeeze in one last feature before deadline.

- ~10 minutes left -
OK, I'll let that be enough! I managed to add a neat little animation for when you return to the title screen. After trying out dozen variations of parallel bars, I just went with a big flat transition.

And with that, I'm done! At first I was afraid the game wouldn't be deep enough (pun intended) to be fun to play but I have to say I'm happy with the result. I think these are some of my best visual effects, especially the drilling and the heat gauge.

Thanks for a fun jam~ ;)

Last edited:
M

Misu

A game by Misu & Alice

DOWNLOAD

Devlog:
- (8:01AM) Jam began and I started passing my script collection to the project folder. The game will be a small 3D (sort of) open world. Got Alice helping out although we are busy today on other stuff.
- (11:00AM) Hehe... oh oh...

- (12:20AM) After a long struggle of programming, I established a camera, practical player movements, and terrain build up. Now time to improve the proportions. Will show pic later.
- (1:50PM) Found the right proportion for the world size including the characters size and speed. Unfortunately, the new proportion affects the z height transition, causing to look choppy. Therefore, I decided to work on a script to make it smoother, hoping to keep the proportions I added.
- (2:37PM) Did something atleast with the z height but its not the best result. Going to work on the enemy ai now.
- (3:19PM) Still working on the AI. Also applying the basic gravity along with collisions.
- (4:11PM) I CANT GET MY MONKEY TO JUMP!!!
- (4:43PM)

- (6:52PM) Almost done with the AI. Needs a knock back aftermath when it gets attack (and same thing must apply to the main character too)
- (7:36PM) I have this song in repeat for too long somebody STOP ME!!!
- (9:15PM) I finally finish the damn AI! That monkey just kept bringing problems. It should work in "somewhat" way that I can deal with. Need to get back on track now.
- (10:00PM) Added two music tracks and working on a shader effect. Ill probably head to bed now since its already late. Progress from Day1...
Devlog 2
- (7:10AM) Getting ready to work on the entry. Gonna focus on art work and design.
- (8:00AM) It's Stapler Art! OwO

-(9:17AM) Fixing lighting effect to mkae it more appealing.
-(10:43AM) Struggling with artwork very badly. Here is a sketch of my monkey

- (1:40PM) Things arent going so well. Apparently modelling for this game has become a terrible hassle. Luckily, I came up with a bright idea but it will cost me time to do so but once I get it done, making models will be quicker and a breeze. Im going to make a special script that creates cyilinder stacks for recreating meshes in bizarre customize formations. Hope to get something done before tomorrow.
- (3:00PM) YES! I manage to make my special script that will allow me to quickly make complicated meshes within GMS! Although the arguments required are a bit unorganized and confusing but its much faster to make something that takes an entire day to make. Im currently working on my main character now!
- (4:55PM) In less than 2 hours, I got my player model nearly finished, except it needs a face and hair...

- (7:17PM) Alice got the dialogue system working. Probably start adding story tomorrow although I have lot of artwork to do. Still working on main character animation.
- (7:30PM) Look!
- (8:18PM) Made the animation for the character (when walking). Im missing the one when attack. should work on it.
- (10:55PM) Its very late and I finally manage to finish my characters models and animation (except its missing his little weapon. But the game is looking good so far but lot of work for tomorrow. Till then peace out.
Devlog 3
- (8:04AM) Fixing the shader system before continuing to model. Things are starting to look good so far.
- (8:22AM) Sort of fixed the shading although I can work with it later. Now I am currently making the monkey model!
- (9:00AM) WHY CANT I STOP LISTENING TO THIS?!?!?!
- (10:10AM) Made the monkey! I even added atleast one tiny animation that is hard to notice but its to make it lively atleast. Time to do the boat!
- (10:34AM) I had to make a new script (similar to the special script I used to make the model) but for the boat model since its not curvy and has skewed edges.
- (1:03PM) Im STILL working on that boat!!!
- (1:53PM) I rage quitted on the boat. It may be incomplete but its still a boat. Just need to build the travelling mechanics.
- (4:19PM) Spent most of my hours creating 3 new islands, apply a spawning system for one of them and decorated lot of stuff. Things are looking good so far.

- (8:00PM) Alice got my mouse check fixed and gave some ideas for the dungeon. I Added sailing mechanics and clouds to make the sky perty :3 Still need to do that dungeon but first, I must fix the collisions that arent working.
- (9:24PM) Finally fixed the collision system although its not the best but with little time left, I need to take action. Time to polish the navigation system to then finally make the story and dungeons.
- (1AM) Yeah the game broke completely and I couldnt fix it. It seems buffers arent reading things properly in GMS1.4. After several hours attempting to fix it, it led to more complications so I decided to leave it as it is; an incomplete demo. I tried my best but I blew it. Anyway, I submitted the entry.

Last edited:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Initial pointless comments
Good theme. I'm in.

@Alice: Which way is that ship moving? The oarsmen appear to be rowing to the left, while the captain is pointing to the right.

Day 1: thinking I'll try a platformer-adventure game this time. This theme calls for it.

Finding Her
by chance
Download (mediafire zip file, 4.8 MB)

The game is about recovering your girlfriend (or what's left of her) after she was abducted by aliens. Rather short... it's a combination of a "visual novel", and a platform game. But the two main levels are fairly large. And rather difficult.

It's my first attempt at making a traditional platformer game without box2D physics. This is just GML. I also bought AnimeStudio a while back... still making fairly generic-looking characters.

As mentioned in the game's credits, all the code, animations and effects are created for this Jam. I also used part of a tileset provided by pzUH on OpenGameArt.
Screenshots (originals are 900x500 resolution):

Last edited:
F

Freedom2Fight

Project_Dahlia

Freedom2Fight​

In Project_Dahlia you are an android called Dahlia-705 aboard the spaceship "Herculean".The Herculean's mission was to travel to a planet called Taurus-7. There the crew explored the planet and discovered many wonders. They now return back home but something terrible has happened...

Freedom2Fight's note:

This was supposed to be a little bit bigger. There was supposed to be a level during the journey and in Taurus-7. Music and SFX was also supposed to be included. However doing this alone has significantly reduced my ability to polish the project. It is a lonely path I walk...

I hope the story is enough to make you feel something!

DOWNLOAD with ALICE's INSTRUCTIONS
Here you will find a 120x120 pixel thumbnail, a readme and the game.

Development Log:
J-DAY LOG
+ Finished the protagonist's sprite for the following states:
-- 1.Running
--2.Pushing Boxes
--3.Clambering up Boxes
+Created a Character Portrait for the Protagonist.
+Established a simple extended animation system
+Established a simple dialogue system
+Created a Background
+Created Sprites for Hazards
+Established a working Sentry Gun

J-DAY +1 LOG
+Established some Puzzle Solving Element
+Created additional Shooting Sprites for Protagonist
+Established Projectile System
+ Fixed various bugs.

J-DAY +2 LOG
+Fixed Dialogue System
+Fixed Climbing Collision
+Scrapped Music and SFX
+Drastic reduction of content
+Fixed various bugs.
+Fixed Projectile System
+Created Simple Health System
+Stopped Panic Attack
+Stopped Existential Crisis
+Created additional sprites
+Finalized entry

Rendezvous with Destiny

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mocgames998

R.I.D.E. Something Something
By Mocgames998

You're part of a motorcycle gang. You hear of massive treasure hidden within the Nevada desert. It's just you and your trusty gun VS the wild, open road, and is a horizontally scrolling Shoot 'em up mixing with platforming elements. (Gameplay inspiration is from one of my older unfinished games, but rest assured, everything's been pretty much redone from scratch with much better coding this time around)

DOWNLOAD:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1pohu19uzzrZmpSTFhJcDdHamc
Current look of the game:
(That little blue square is one of your bullets, green bullets are from enemies)
snapshot.png

Devlog: (I'm gonna use GMS 1.4 for this jam, I've not completely used to GMS2 yet...)
Day -1:
-I've composed some music for the game, expect real distorted guitars this time!

Day 1:
-----2:40 PM
-Movement system (Mostly) working, is based on Zack Bell's Platform Tutorials.
-Moving Camera (It's a SHMUP)
-Player & bike sprites. (Don't Tell anyone, but inspiration for the bike came from Wario's bike)

Day 2:
-----6:18 PM
-Better moving camera
-You can now shoot.

Day 3: (I've been rather lazy this jam, but I'm gonna try and push as hard as I can I guess)
-----3:43 PM
-Implemented an "enemy" which can be destroyed by your bullets
-You can now lock the direction of your shooting via a certain key.
-Some more effects in the game I guess.
-----8:00 PM
-Basically rushed together one stage, 3 enemies, and a "Boss" I guess.
-No sound effects but there is music.
-Some bug fixes
-It's pretty much ready to go I guess, added a download link to the game.
-Hopefully the audio isn't too loud or too quiet!

V

Vonnbit

Tapsailing

Balance the steering wheel on your ship and soar through the stormy, 1-bit, not to mention kind of static sea!
But don't ignore your crew, they get real loud when there's an emergency, and they drain your ship's order fast!
DOWNLOAD (itch.io)

Devlog:
Day 0
[8:10] Still outside on my way to home, will spend the trip brainstorming
[9:03] Got home, browsed the internet for an inspiration
[9:40] Got an idea! Will go to sleep early, gonna start spriting tomorrow
Day 1
[05:32] Woke up, sketched a rough layout for the game

[05:52] Finished the ship sprite!

[09:45] Finished the game mockup!

[18:34] Hadn't been able to finish much today, but at least the game is (mostly) complete!
Day 2
[21:51] Blergh, I really am bad with these things. I'm done!
Day 3
[00:00] Empty

johnwo

CHZ
by @johnwo

DOWNLOAD
It's a horrible mess of a "game"...

Forgot to mention it in the readme, but my game is procedurally generated, albeit the generator is really bad and honestly deserves to be taken behind the shed and given the same fate as Ol' Yeller...

Camera system example:

Devlog (All times GMT+2):
Day 1, Friday:
18:04:
I've gotten a camera system and some sprites done, but I'm going to a birthday party in 1h. Alcohol will be involved. It dawns on me that I might not get anything more done today...

Day 2, Saturday:

16:50:
I've got a bad hangover. I'll most likely work *a tiny bit* on the game, but I'll have to wing it on Sunday.

Day 3, Sunday:
17:15:
I overslept badly.
I do not think that I have time to make the game I want to make.
Time to brew some coffee and wing it, albeit I think I'll end up with something else than what I wanted in the first place.
Lessons learned: Don't go to a party and get drunk on the first day of a jam...

Day 3, Monday:
08:06:
I "finished", if you can call it that.
I present to you my 14h bug riddled mess!
I'm just sick and tired. One should really not get drunk on the first day of a jam...

Last edited:
T

theonewhoisodd

What Am I?
by Theonewhoisodd
A story about waking up in a world not your own.

Download Here
<Post Jam Edit: Zip Download for Jam Player>

Devlog

Day 1:
8:57 AM EST - Woke up
9:02 AM EST - Need coffee
9:07 AM EST - Got coffee. Need Idea....
9:11 AM EST - Got Idea. Maybe
9:31 AM EST - Getting the engine built. Feels like slow progress...
9:32 AM EST - Breaking to get in a smoke.
9:45 AM EST - Back to Work.
10:29 AM EST - Just finished the engine. Now just need to put the story in and to get some artwork done....
10:49 AM EST - More Coffee...
11:59 AM EST - Finishing up the first zone. First ever scripted event so that's pretty cool.
12:19 PM EST - Brainstorming led to a stupid but funny idea. Should be easy to implement but I'm going to wait until I get the game finished to make sure I have enough time to put it in.
12:39 PM EST - Finished first area. Did minor art tweaks for second area now working on setting up story and building second area.
1:13 PM EST - Minor problem with the IDE caused me to delete a few objects by accident. Was able to pull an older copy from a back-up so it wasn't a huge set back.
1:20 PM EST - Second scripted event is somewhat working. Working on Dev debug tool to try and test a bit quicker. Story is set for the second area.
1:57 PM EST - Second area is finished. Moving onto the third area. Going to build it first and then work on the third area's story. About a quarter to a third of the way through of what is currently planned.
2:24 PM EST - I made purgatory.....
2:43 PM EST - Play testing and working on Jam post.
3:07 PM EST - Working on script for the third area.
3:39 PM EST - Finished the story for the third area but it introduced a bunch of bugs. So bug fixing. Lots of bug fixing.
3:55 PM EST - Bugs Fixed. Breaking for Lunch
4:07 PM EST - Lunch done. Time to work on art for the 4th area
4:47 PM EST - Most artwork done. Working on building the 4th area now.
5:28 PM EST - Build finished. Story building time but it may be slow going since it requires a large scripted event that I'm not sure how best to code.
5:47 PM EST - Had to kill a spider for my wife. She's arachnophobic so I also had to make fun of her and freak her out. Darn wife making me waste time with 'real life'!
6:00 PM EST - Tea Time. And of course Brainstorming....
6:17 PM EST - Area four's story is taking longer than I expected. It's about halfway done. Should have expected this since it is where the game begins to branch.
6:37 PM EST - Area four's story finished. It's going to require a bit more artwork than originally thought and some tricks with scripting to finish up though.
7:37 PM EST - Area four's should be completely finished. This took the longest out of any other area so far. Needed to do even more artwork for an effect and that took a good 20 minutes itself. Play testing time.
8:57 PM EST - Still bug fixing. Should have been doing it as I went. Gonna be a while until I can move onto area five.
9:39 PM EST - Finished Bug fixes.
10:26 PM EST - Getting back to work. Area FIVE!!
10:59 PM EST - Third Party Play testing a la my mom!
11:29 PM EST - Play testing brought up some interesting points. Will try to work them in....
11:58 PM EST - Area five is built. Going to take a break now as I've been working for the majority of 15 hours.

Day 2:
12:42 AM EST - Back to work, time to code some actions.
1:04 AM EST - Starting to crash. Be back in a few hours to get back to work.
8:12 AM EST - Woke up to find out my computer ran an update in the night. Guess who hadn't save in quite a while....
9:56 AM EST - Finally back to where I was last night. Scripting some more choices for the player to make in room 5 now.
10:37 AM EST - Figured out a way to skip most of the game for testing purposes. This should make testing the later levels and bug fixing much quicker.
10:45 AM EST - The first section of area five is finished. Now I need to split it into two different sub areas based on player's choices.
11:21 AM EST - First part of the area five split is finished. It was actually the smaller one as it leads into a game over. Need to slightly modify some code for it but the game over room should be easy to build and code.
12:12 PM EST - Took longer than I expected it to. But it's done and all of the future game over rooms should be easy to code. Now working on the second half of the area five split.
12:37 PM EST - Area five is totally completed now. The second section was much easier to code. Work now begins on the sixth area.
1:39 PM EST - Lost some time due to having to take care of real life things. Beginning work on the sixth area's story. After I get some more coffee that is....
2:55 PM EST - Forgot to update this when I got to area six's scripting. That's finished as well as the story. Ran into quite a few problems with it and had to slightly rework how I was doing things. Kept breaking the game and couldn't figure out why or how so I decided to stop fighting with it and work around it. Time to get on the the seventh area. Which will probably take a good bit of time.
3:49 PM EST - Finished building the seventh area. Working on the scripting now as the code for this one is gonna be finicky.
4:46 PM EST - This is going really slowly... Seventh area's scripting is done just need to write the story now.
4:56 PM EST - Have to run to the store which means even more time lost.....
5:27 PM EST - Back to work on Area Seven's story.
8:11 PM EST - Can't focus. Gonna take a quick nap.
9:20 PM EST - Nap over time to get back to it.
10:00 PM EST - The vast majority of the first conversation in the seventh area is finally finished. It was incredibly text heavy already and the divergence in the story made it twice as long. Now to work on the rest of the story.
11:47 PM EST - Got the seventh area's story finished. Started on the eighth area. Really proud of the start that I built, coded, and wrote the story for. Now I should begin building the rest of the area.
Day 3:
12:35 AM EST - Eighth area finished. Finally starting the wrap up.
1:53 AM EST - Wrapped up the entire game. Now time to make some menus...
2:48 AM EST - Title screen is finished along with all the needed buttons. Time to begin work on the audio engine.
3:33 AM EST - Audio engine is functioning. Now I just need to find some music for it to play.
3:58 AM EST - Got a bunch of music and got it shoved into the audio engine. Pause menu will be next when I finally get around to it. Though I think now it's time to wrap up for the night and get some rest.
11:38 AM EST - Releasing an early access version that is not entirely polished just in case I don't get a polished version up before the end.
12:14 PM EST - Pause menu is somewhat build having a weird small issue with it but it's totally functional. I might go back to it if I have the time. Gonna do some quick play testing.
12:43 PM EST - Play testing revealed a bug that causes a fatal error. Replacing the download file now.
1:00 PM EST - And I left my dev tools on...
Current Progress: Finished

Attachments

Alexx

Ship Ahoy
By Alexx

Download: Download

Dev Log Below - With Screenshots.

Dev Log
-------
Graphics - www.gamedeveloperstudio.com
kenney.nl
millionthvector.blogspot.co.uk
graphic-buffet.com
Audio - kenney.nl

Started with basic engine with highscore and name save,
and name entry keyboard.

12:00 Started thinking of ideas of what I can do, made a few sketches.
In the post where the theme is announced is a boat, gonna do some kind of
boating game. Decided on a boat game where you need to avoid
and hit certain things. Have made a boat game previosly, will be
reusing some code and ideas from that.

13:50 Sourcing graphics.

14:30 Still looking for sprites and ideas for gameplay.
Have a little mockup of a few objects doing things.

15:00 Sourced some suitable graphics and some sound effects.

15:15 Got something that with a bit of work, may turn into a game.

15:45 Got some objects set up, a few audio and graphical effects.
Player movement and controls done for now.
Thinking what to do to actually make this a game.
Taking a 15 minute break.

16:15 Break Over.
Got a basic engine going now, time to try out some level designs.
Got an enemy jellyfish and crates to avoid.
Created static enemy that periodically fires a torpedo which must
be avoided. Working on a small level to test a few things out.
Added to a radar system to identigy objects near player (adapted borrowed from a
previous project).
Added a goal to game to collect gem stones.
Updated and adapted HUD (borrowed from previous project).

16:45 Way too hot where I am, taking another break!
Got some ideas to change this initial concept into something
more playable. Looking for appropriate sprites to accomplish this.
Couldn't find appropiate sprite, thinking of other things I could do.
Kept looking, found somerthing on graphic-buffet.com.
Added down moving spikes.
Added up spikes.
Added some audio control, only play audio if event/object is visible in view, otherwise
major noise issues.

17:00 Tweaked a few things graphically.

17:15 Sourced some more graphics.
Created objects for sprites.
Got some basic movement of new objects.
Looking good so far, things starting to fall in place.
Need to think up other objects for player to avoid.

17:30 Taking a small break.
Thinking about how to make this fun to play.
Need to decide if separate rooms or one big one.

17:40 Break Over.
Decided on a single game room, broken into sections.
Sections get harder as the game progresses.
Respawn point after each section, so if player dies they start there.

17:45 Trying out some small sections of level design.
Tweaking object movement for consistency and making section completable.
Tweaking view settings to follow player and player's direction, with a
suitable border size.
Basic game audio done: effects and bg music.
Thinking up ideas for eye-candy and visual effects.
Still too hot where I am.
Taking a break to enjoy a cold fruit drink!

Initial screen shot of name entry room:

18:00 Tweaked name entry screen.
Added bg for name entry (from a previous project);
Uploaded screenshot.

18:15 Need to think up name for this game.
Trying out some path variations for the jellyfish.
Got several jelly fish following the same path intermitently.
Refining jelly fish movement. Happy with movement.

18:30 Thinking time. What else can I add?
Added animated background of water.
Did a backup of work so far.
Calling game Ship Ahoy!

19:00 Break - Stargate Atlantis on TV.

20:00 Stargate & dinner done.
Adding some objects purely for eye-candy,
maybe a flying bird & some fish.
Added flying bird with no player interaction.
Added a dragon fly for eyecandy.
Made path for dragon fly.
Made a shadow for dragon fly.
Made a shadow for parrot.
Tidied up tempory code, added some comments.
Option to rotate view based on ships direction or
a static view.
Create a trail for enemy bullet.
Create a trail for player bullet.
Will improve trail if enough time when main game
mexchanics are done.
Set up various collision event code.

21:00 Taking a break, watching a film.
Think about more things I can add.

21:30 Changed mechanice for trail as wasn't happy with it.
Slight improvment.
Forgot about film, still working away.

22:15 Nothing done since last update, got distracted on
web.

22:30 Updated mini map.

23:00 Spent time originazing assets into groups, quite a collection now.Decided to break game into 5 rooms with about 10
things to do in each room, that unlock when previous completed.
Created new section in INI file to save level progress
Created a level system and new room for this, took longer
than I thought.
23:30 Still working on leveling system.
Decided on three levels, as setting them will up will take a
lot of time.
23:40 Got levelling system && menu set up OK.
Added some eye candy, jelly fish to level select.
Added screenshot www.gamemakerbook.com/screen2.png

23:50 Tidied up resources tree.
Done a backup.
Time For another break!

00:00 Did some more work on mini map.
Happy with today's progress.

Tomorrows plan:
Planning to spend tomorrow on level design.
Will do 20 separate sections and test each one,
then combine into one large section if happy.
Will do some sketches for ideas, adding extra objects
or mechanics as required.
Three levels in all, starting easy and getting harder.

11:00 Starting on level design.
Added objects for room border.

12:30 Playing around with objects, getting some challenges together.

13:30 Started designing first level.

17:20 PC crashed. Lost a few hours work.

18:00 Added new level elements, updating level design.
Took a break.

21:15 Adding new level element, whirlpool.
Updated level select screen with some eyecandy effects.
Changed some movement code.
Added more level design.

22:30 Done some more level design.
Backed up.

Tomorrow's Plan:
Continue adding to level.
Think up 2 additional level elements.

Day 3
13:00 Added new level element, a mine.

13:30 Tidying up level design.

14:15 Break!

14:30 Adding some more eyecandy.
Adding some effects.

15:30 Time for another break!

16:00 Playing through level, correcting any errors or impossible
puzzles.

17:00 Done what I can, have other things to do.

Last edited:
W

Wraithious

Forbidden Frontier

Forbidden Frontier is now complete! here is the DOWNLOAD link

ss1.png
ss2.png
I chose Rezza as my character, I drew this about 16 years ago, and recently this character helped me make the pencil drawing to color script for my Mergery app
cha1.png
Screenshots day 2, game is working fairly well
ss3.png

ss4.png
'Trapped' in a small floating underground city you discover you and all of the inhabitants have been lied to since birth, everyone thought the extent of reality ended at the city limits, but one day while exploring the upper caves you stumble upon an artifact that obviously came from somewhere outside of the realm you know! You decide to make the voyage to discover what lies beyond!
Day 1 10:01am east coast usa time
Ideas for game-
Beyond the unknown
Tale of the lost city
Into the realm of chaos
I chose - Forbidden Frontier!
Got alot done today, game mechanics and menus pretty much complete, a few graphics done, storyline needs allot of work
Today I got 90% of the programming done and all the graphics, game is in a playable state but still need to add sound and fix some annoying bugs, like the enemy hp circle hiding the enemy haha, and still need to create some sort of character dialogs and get the shop and inn going
This was a long day but Forbidden Frontier is now completed!
Here is my dev log notes haha
GAMEPLAY- Caves to explore are located (1) above the left side of the floating city, (2) above the right side of the floating city, and to the far right of the city. Go into the city from the bottom middle to find 2 shops, one is an item shop, and the other is an inn to regain your strength. Leveling up will also bring you back to full health. Your weapons are a shovel and a torch, The shovel can also be used to dig up items when no enemies are around. If you find something it's usually gold, but you can also find up to 6 different items, and the more of certain items you have the stronger you become. if you have armor and / or shields and the enemy is attacking you, you can get some hit points back while counter attacking. the more shovels and or torches you have causes the enemy's hit points to drain faster when attacking. The goal of the game is to find keys to unlock all areas and fight all 4 main dudes, when complete your voyage to the new land commences
and you win the game!
CREDITS:
future city - https://www.walldevil.com/354267-future-city-wallpaper.html
Speech system for windows by Mikael Norrgard @ Gamephase 2016
Licensed under CC BY 3.0: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
DEFENDING THEIR CITY song by Eric Matyas www.soundimage.org
Font:
Partin font is a free and freely distributable font downloaded from
http://dukom.org/

Voyage to the Final Lands
by Cloaked Games, HayManMarc, Joeseph Benedetti

Voyage_to_the_Final_Lands_LOGO.png
DOWNLOAD

Explore various islands across the ocean on your Voyage to the Final Lands, a legendary place at the edge of the Earth, that only the bravest and smartest adventurers can find. Find weapons to fight dangerous monsters, solve puzzles and see if you can make it all the way, and earn yourself a spot among legends. This game features varied weapons, a boatload of treasure, optional hidden items, and one giant boss to kill in order to win.

Voyage to the Final Lands was inspired by "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" by C.S. Lewis and the original Legend of Zelda. Stories that allow exploration and imagination. The gameplay is very similar to the original Legend of Zelda, and many other Zelda games. Hopefully we can provide a fulfilling adventurous experience. Have fun!
Runner 2017-05-28 23-18-34-065.jpg Runner 2017-05-28 23-18-50-770.jpg Runner 2017-05-28 23-19-08-274.jpg Runner 2017-05-28 23-20-20-789.jpg

Total Time Spent: About 32 Hours
All times in Pacific Standard Time.
6:20 am: Woke up and found the theme and reserved this slot for our game.
7:10 am: After sending the Plan to the rest of the team, I programmed the movement, and designed the port area. Going to eat breakfast now. (15 min)
8:05 am: Added a message system and triggers for showing messages. Also added basic collision checking.
8:40 am: Added NPCs you can talk to. Finished with the port for now. Starting to work on this first island.
9:30 am: Added the sword and bushes you can chop down. Finished most of the layout of the first island.
9:50 am: Added treasure chests to provide the inordinate amount of valuable treasure you are sure to find
10:45 am: Added enemies. (Grass spirits). They just move around now though.
11:30 am: Finished combat system. Including hit stun, basic knock-back and a health bar. Going to eat lunch. (15 min)
11:55 am: Added heart drops to recover health.
1:15 pm: Fixed issue with message boxes. Starting working on cliffs. They are being really annoying.
1:45 pm: Fixed the walls. Also fixed the same issue in my main project. Yay!
3:25 pm: Uploaded a rough early version with the first two islands. Going to start working on the third island.
5:00 pm: Finished the first half of the third island. Added push block and hole puzzle objects. Added skeleton enemy. (30 minutes)
7:40 pm: Added switches that open doors. Added pots that drop hearts and treasure. Almost done with the third level. (Which is very long).
8:00 pm: Started trying to add the bow. It's being annoying.
9:10 pm: Almost finished third level. Added a mini-boss fight. There's a few polish details I need to finish, but I'll do that tomorrow. Going to bed now.
6:30 am: Woke up. Windows made me update Skype first.
6:50 am: Finished implementing the sprites that HayManMarc finished during the night. Uploaded the new logo to this page. At breakfast. (15 min)
8:00 am: Began building the 4th island.
9:30 am: Added NPCs that can sell stuff. We've got to make use of all that treasure!
10:00 am: Added ROCK MONSTERS.
11:15 am: Finished walling level 4. Started programming a bridge. Leaving for lunch and something else for a few hours.
5:10 pm: Got back and finished bridge programming. It's probably completely pointless, but it adds to the sense of... uh... that bridge may be a waste of time. (15 min snack)
6:20 pm: Messages now need key presses to close, it was sometimes hard to read the whole thing. This took more code changes than you'd think. (30 min dinner).
6:50 pm: Did a few of the sprites I can do on my own, including the cliffs. Started working on level 5, a mountain. This one will have another weapon and a boss I think.
7:45 pm: Finished the menu, and loading and saving. It went uneventful, thank goodness! 8:15 pm: Did a couple of the sounds. Joseph is planning to do most of them, but I have extra time according to the schedule. Spent 15 minutes planning what needs to be finished up tomorrow.
9:45 pm: Finished up a few details for today. (30 min)
6:20 am: Woke up and gathered my resources. Continued working on level 5. Adjusted the rock monster stats.
8:15 am: Finished almost everything for level 5. I will definitely have time for another level or maybe two by the end of the day. I still need to fluff it up a bit and test the level once or twice.
8:30 pm: Almost 12 hours later. I worked a lot of that time, but I didn't update. I finished level 5, including the boss and third item. Added the Final Lands themselves. No 6th level though. Gameplay is finished, I need to write music now. All sounds are implemented, and almost all the art is complete. We also need to play test.
9:10 pm: Gameplay is now totally finished and tested once. I've started writing the music.
11:20 pm: Okay, I ended up using pre-made music by Kevic MacLeod. Implemented the rest of the sprites. Programmed the music to change at each level.
I spent 15 hours total already. We've got the first 3 levels, plus the starting location. We have a mini-boss, two weapons, a bunch of optional treasure, and a creepy tomb to explore. My goals for tomorrow is to make at least 3 more islands (probably more), and probably have a third weapon. I also need to work out saving and health capacity between rooms.
I spent another 7.5 hours today. I finished level 4, 5 and started on 6. 6 will probably be the last one, but I may add a 7th in before it if I have time tomorrow. What remains is the sounds (which are being worked on by Joe), music, level 6 (and maybe 7), the final destination, and the rest of the art. The final level will have a third weapon and a boss fight, I hope. Then there is time for any bug testing and polishing I have time to do. I want to go through and double check all the text boxes to make sure there aren't typos.
Good night.
Voyage to the Final Lands:
-Programming: Cloaked Games
-Art: HayManMarc and Cloaked Games
-Sounds: Joseph Benedetti

Music used is by Kevin MacLeod

Pre-created assets:
-Code: Darkness script, player movement script

-Art: Type 7r Spritefont:
Chrisblue (CC BY-SA 3.0) Modified by us.

-Music:
"Galway", "Doobly Doo", "Interloper", "Frozen Star", and "Full On"
Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

Thanks for playing!

Last edited:

lolslayer

Infinity infection
starfield finished.png

Download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/o403paihyod75ml/infinity_infection.exe

Use WASD to move the camera, left and right key to turn the camera. The mouse to select planets and escape to get rid of pop ups.

In every turn you can choose to travel to a star or to gather resources from the one you're at, but every time you let a turn go by the infection spreads. The infection spreads faster and faster so you should upgrade your ship aswell.

Used music is from the project contingency soundtrack which is inspired by the Halo franchise. Credits go to Fernando Pepe, the Contingency team, Microsoft Studios and 343 Industries.

The only sound used is an alarm sound found here:
https://www.freesound.org/people/Lalks/sounds/316833/
It uses this license:
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

starfield 1.png
Momentarally I'm working on a starfield system
spritesheet 1.png
My friend the artist @kaszemir made this sprite sheet

A little gif of the starfield system:
http://i.imgur.com/MoGyUJv.gifv

Gameplay overhaul, scrapping the idea to walk on surfaces.

Game is now completely playable, some gameplay stuff still misses and polishing should be done:
starfield 2.png

SCREACH! WHY DOES POLISHING TAKE THIS LONG? THERE IS SO LITTLE TIME LESS AND I REALLY NEED TO SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

JacobV

Self-Sacrifice
An ambience-based adventure platformer

Made by @JacobV and @0.Bytes
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

show2.png

DOWNLOAD HERE

Day One
3:09, Central Time: Game is coming along well. Movement has been implemented, along with basic mechanics like respawning and transitions. Currently working on expanding Level One.

(gave up the devlog around this point forgive me)

Day Two
Nothing here yet

Day Three
Nothing here yet

Last edited:
O

Oyakiiv

Game: Defector

DOWNLOAD

style: space shmup

Day 1:

I dont have alot of time to participate but I really, really, really wanna join so here I am. I have decided to spend the first day just planning and wont start making the game till tomorrow.

(though really, not alot of time, with work and sleep I only have about... 36 hours... and I am really good at wasting time...so I will probably on use 18 hours at best...)

2:10 pm (est) - have design idea's, simple plot, and a TITLE! DEFECTOR.

Day 2:

12:32 am(est) - Just got home from work and starting up GM:S for the first time. I have my design for the player ship, as well as the general plan for the whole project...ish...

1:49 am (est) - created player ship object and object to make scrolling background stars.
defector1.png

11:43 pm est - forgot to update before work, added first enemy ship, and the ability to FIRE DA LAZORS! for both ships.

Day 3:

1:15 am est - started work on 2 more enemy ships and a rough sketch of the boss ship. the only current problem is that the new ships look way better than the player ship... will have a new screen shot later once I have fully unleashed the other ships upon the player!

12:18 pm est - title screen started, just have to make it function, then clean it up later. gotta get some lunch then back to work!

5:53 pm est - title screen works and have the first stage done, working sheild system, the more damaged the shield the more damage you take. Have the game over message and gradually increasing spawn rates for enemies. Stages last for 3 minutes.defector2.png defector3.png
7:28 pm est - completed stage 2, onto stage 3! hope to wrap this up in a few hours... probably wont have sound...at all... =P

9:24 pm est - created scrap object that drops on enemy death. the scrap gets collected automatically and gets converted into heath between stages. Little worried I wont be able to make a boss stage before I quit... but game is challenging without it right now! current estimated play time 9 minutes.

Day 4:

12:30 am est - this is where I'm calling it, it's not as pretty as I would like it (not by a long shot!), but it plays decently and it's challenging. I have 3 stages and a boss fight. the whole game should take no more than 15 minutes to complete a single run.

still no sound though... T_T (lets be honest I would have just ended up make mouth noises if I had the time)

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Journevazure: What's Out There

Heavily randomized game about discovering stuff.

It's 2017, but you still believe there are more continents to discover! You make a shoddy raft and set sail towards the horizon, hoping to become famous as the discoverer of the eighth continent! Jump and surf your way through an ever-increasing caribbean gauntlet of sharks, turtles, shoals and mysteriously aloft cannonballs while snagging what pirate treasure you can right off their buoys! Can you find a new continent or will you end up in Davy Jones' locker?

• Cutting edge 3D graphics!
  • Intuitive 3-button control scheme!
  • Saves your high scores! Challenge your personal best!
  • Suspenseful water-and-sail gameplay where you need to memorize obstacles you can't see!
  • Jump to avoid obstacles, but be careful not to avoid treasure!
  • Realtime-rendered and realtime-updated water surface!
  • Randomized obstacles! A different experience every time! Except I think I forgot to call randomize() so it's probably the same obstacles every time!
  • Rechargeable health lets you play forever!

DOWNLOAD LINKS:
Box: https://app.box.com/s/sgvw05rirpsh1hr506zbog5lqu644ig8
Itchio: https://yaru.itch.io/journevazure
GameJolt: <coming soon>

Devlog:
=====Day 1=====
-Came up with a cool name.
-Made some graphics.
-I promised Dadio I wouldn't make a platformer this time so I'll have this be sideview without platform elements. Let's see how this goes.
-Made some more graphics and set up some random autotiling.
-Added an item management system. Not sure how to actually USE the items yet.
=====Day 2=====
-Scrapped original project and whipped up a 3D watervoyaging simulator. Still not sure what gameplay to put in it.
-Figured it out during a dogwalk.
-Passed out from the heat and was unconscious for a few hours.
=====Day 3=====
-Woke up around midnight.
-Made coffee.
-Managed to work on the game for like 8 hours straight. Now it's complete! Or, well, it's sorta playable and I'm sick of it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Voyage for the Lost Aegis
by Riley Gombart (ChessMasterRiley)

Download (46MB)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE14-gZXo02YTJIZ19fSEp0cXc

Screenshots (Larger)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE14-gZXo02YnRveWktcHdyeVU
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE14-gZXo02VG5sb3BwTE9pVE0
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE14-gZXo02bzlDWEpHT1B4QTA
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByE14-gZXo02dWdFYzEzckVnZGc

Prologue
Someone tipped you off to the whereabouts of the legendary Aegis, hidden and lost from the world for decades. Now, you must battle your way through the dangerous waters on your Voyage for the Lost Aegis!

Gameplay
The game plays as a turn-based puzzle game. Each unit on the map takes a turn in a round (some move faster than others). Your goal is to reach the end of each level without the enemy units touching your ship (sinking it). There are 14 levels in all. Good luck!

Controls
<WASD> to move
<Mouse> to interact

Credits
Justin Nichol - Argos Portrait (https://opengameart.org/content/flare-portrait-pack-number-one)
vil0gy - Map (https://opengameart.org/content/old-world-map)
JamesWhite - Pirate Ship (https://opengameart.org/content/low-poly-pirate-ship)
Music - Kai Hartwig (http://www.hartwigmedia.de)

Best of luck to everyone! I had a blast making this and look forward to playing all of your entries!!

Cheers,
Riley​

Last edited:

Bingdom

Googledom
Galactic Conqueror

An epic space battle game that is about taking over the galaxy!
Freatures:
4 Playable ships
Navigational Conquest Map
Lots of lasers
Great ship controls
8 Different weapons (2 weapons per ship)
Day 1:
Some artwork
Ship controls
Shooting functionality
Functional AI
3rd person camera
Added a planet
Day 2:
Conquest map
More ships
Improved ship controls
Improved 3rd person camera
Engine sound effects
Secondary Weapons

Day 3:
Conquest map now fully working
Proper ship spawns
Some weapon balance
AI adjustments
Hitboxes
Download

Last edited:
P

PizWiz

:DA Trip To The Grocery Store:D
by PizWiz

Screenshots are unimportant. Here is a mysterious image, instead.

DOWNLOAD!!!

This is a Dropbox download and might not be up that long. I will also upload the game
to GameJolt but they take a million years to publish.

It's a game I made.

NazGhuL

NazTaiL
Voyage to the Earth's Core

Download: http://www.naztail.com/games/voyage_ to_earth_core/voyage_to_earth_core.zip

I unfortunately only have had around 6 hours to work on it. Maybe I'll expand it later. Again, nice THEME for a jam.

Devlog:
Wake up Sunday morning with an idea of digging to the core of the earth.
Arcade, fast play and certain death.

6:30 to 10h30 Coding
10h30 to 12h00 Clean the pool, mowed the lawn, etc...
12:00 to 14h00 Coding and done.

Will add some ittle thing at the end of the day.

screenshot:

Last edited:
T

theonewhoisodd

or 'Odd was bored and had time to crank out an extra game' the game

by Theonewhoisodd

DOWNLOAD HERE
<Post Jam Edit: Zip Download for Jam Player>

Devlog:
Time left: 6:21 - Decided to try and crank out another game. Made a really cool logo for it too! Working on creating the menu sprites and such first.
Time left: 6:04 - Did up the main menu quickly. It looks hastily slapped together but I'm on incredibly limited time so I'll polish it if I have the time. Decided on an 'infinite' runner. Need to do the math and figure out distances and speed so it's scientifically accurate though otherwise it will bug me....
Time left: 5:42 - Got the math worked out. It's going to be a 495 hour long game!
Time left: 4:47 - Spent an hour trying to work out the opening dialog. Had to brute force it... May be able to actually get the game play coded soon....
Time left: 4:11 - Had a ton of trouble getting movement to actually work without the player flying off the screen. Got it working finally. This time crunch is frightening!
Time left: 3:42 - Got movement sorted out. I'm just an idiot and don't know the difference between "if" and "else if". Working on the spawner for obstacles now.
Time left: 2:57 - Got the spawners working. Had a similar issue with "if" and "else if" but I got it sorted. Also got a basic distance tracker worked up. Now I need to work on difficulty scaling.
Time left: 2:28 - Got some difficulty scaling working. Should be fairly simple to code it for further difficulty later. Now I need to work on the game over screen and high scores.
Time left: 1:46 - Got the high scores and game over working. Having trouble getting it to draw where I want it though!
Time left 1:25 - Fixed the drawing issue I was having. Should function just fine now. Was considering adding online high scores but I don't think that is something I could accomplish in an hour and a half since I've never done anything like that before. Gonna work on adding more difficulty scaling instead.
Time left 0:50 - Also added a winning screen which would require the player to play the game for around 21 days straight to get to. Wrapping up the game now to export it. Gonna be a close one.
Time left 0:33 - 💩💩💩💩 💩💩💩💩 💩💩💩💩! Having a weird issue where the window isn't scaling properly when it's exported!
Time left 0:28 - Got that straightened out. Game is uploaded and linked. I'm done!
Time left 0:06 - Realized I forgot to put a return to main menu button on the game over screen. I always make stupid mistakes when I'm rushed
Current Progress: Uploaded! (Total time elapsed 5 hours 53 minutes)

M

Matthew Brown

Sea Voyage
by BionicFrog

DOWNLOAD

Stuff happened and took out dev time, so this game is far from finished. But I figured I might as well submit it anyway for people to take a look at and play around with. :p

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder

By GameDevDan

DOWNLOAD (3MB)

T minus 00:06:28 - Done

T minus 02:47:33 - Got a basic concept & some graphics done. This is truly a race against the clock.

T minus 03:26:58 - Only just realised this was on. Starting an entry with 3 and a half hours to go. Wish me luck.

Last edited:

BitZero

Untitled Islands
By BitZero

DOWNLOAD

Apparently I should have dusted off my GM:S copy prior to Friday, since my skills are rusty. It's not even a game more-so than just some island generation. What few controls there are reside within the readme file. But I still like the idea I had in my head while working on this, so it'll probably be ported to C# and continued there ... some year. Anyway, the source is included in the zip if you want to look at it.

Note: The island generation code isn't exactly efficient, so it might take a while to do so.

TehPilot

Ricardo's looking for adventure on the high seas - only he doesn't have a boat of his own to travel with. Through the use of other boats on the ocean and a fundamental misunderstanding of the term "rocketship", Ricardo sets out on an explosive and daring adventure.

DOWNLOAD (v1.1, Windows *.zip)
MD5: 280C20E261C93449C0A4A766AF1EAD52

Last edited:

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
VOYAGE BACK
-matharoo
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go through enemy blockades to get back to your planet!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DOWNLOAD

N

nix0nax

TOWN TO TOWN

The plan? Sail to the next town.
And what about then? Do it again.

upload_2017-5-29_13-42-27.png
-Made only by me ( @nix0nax )

(btw you gotta right click on the guys to make them do stuff)

DOWNLOAD

Micah_DS

Skyland Voyager
by K-BitCRUSH

DOWNLOAD

ABOUT:
You're a voyager in the world of Skyland. Your character is wrapped in mystery. Also, the game is pointless and brutal. You can't win, but you can die by the hand of disturbing dark elemental matter.

Uhh, so the moral of the story is that an airship voyage in this fantasy world is dangerous and quite stupid.
Aside from getting to run wild in puffy white clouds.

The game was intended to be more, obviously. But it's still kinda cool I guess, just a bit pointless.
But I'm happy with my character's animation. :D

MUTINY
By Siolfor the Jackal

Arrows to move
Hold space to hug, release on green for best hug.
Press shift to toggle crew members to work.

Keep your crew happy by hugging them.
Put them to work to repair the ship, but working makes them sad quicker.

T

Thexel PIN

Until Night Falls
by Thaniel (Thexel_PIN)

DOWNLOAD

So yeah, had to rush some development at the end. Sadly, the voyage themed part wasn't included because of lack of time (Voyage started at Stage 2, so this game is a single Stage). The boss of the level doesn't have a drawing, and the one character that does is an unfinished version (If not enough the townspeople don't even have a sprite, just a lil' star). Hope you like it. (P.D: The volume is a little bit too loud)

EDIT: Thumbnail. Looks terrible but I only have one hour and I'm fed up with this thing by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.