GMC Jam Discussion The Stellar GMC Jam #4 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because of extra things that happened to me, I will not be able to do the rest of the video reviews. I will still play every game though, and post my feedback.

Nallebeorn

I had a bunch of school work to do last week and weekend, so I didn't get started playing through the games until today. But I shouldn't have any problem getting everything in before the deadline.

V

Virtual Mage

Damn. I wanted to participate so much :(
Too bad I couldn't.. I had to be in hospital for some time because some road raging man ran over my legs

Whatever, when's the next jam? :D

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
I really wish the deadline was further away. Not sure I will manage to play/review/vote all by this weekend (again!) :(
Thanks all for playing/reviewing my "game!"

The M

OK, all reviews are finally done and posted. I've also got a new version of Into the Earth available. It features modified collision boxes to make collecting stuff easier, alternate WASD controls for those who want that, water barrels that cool down your drill and slightly reduced fuel consumption on power drilling. Thanks for all the feedback and for some great jam games! :)

JacobV

Made my post. Didn't review every game, so if your game is in the "everything else" category, that doesn't necessarily mean it's worse than all the others; just that I didn't have anything to say about it or anywhere to put it.

M

Misu

I uploaded 5 more reviews. Im only 6 reviews away to finishing my voting phase. Ive been really busy with other stuff.

M

Misu

I have finally played through all entries and gave a review for every single one of them! You can all check it out on my voting post! Well done everyone!

I will update my post during the weekend with the final scores and positions. I wish you all luck on the jam! :)

V

Virtual Mage

I have finally played through all entries and gave a review for every single one of them! You can all check it out on my voting post! Well done everyone!

I will update my post during the weekend with the final scores and positions. I wish you all luck on the jam! :)
Aaaand.. Where the 💩💩💩💩 is it if you don't mint me asking? I can't find it anywhere ;-;

NazGhuL

NazTaiL
Final word for me(about my entry): I believe that if I have to explain/justify something not obvious about one of my game, I have a design that needs work. Players told me the TIMER doesn't seems to work. Well in fact it works great. As soon as it reaches 0, no more blocks are created, only lava. But that's not a big deal. I wish I had more time to work on it for the jam... But eh! I add more things. For those who liked Voyage to the Earth's Core here is the upgrade edition: http://www.naztail.com/games/voyage_ to_earth_core/voyage_to_the_earth_core.html
In case you haven't played it yet and want to rate it, please use the one in the zip bundle and don't change anything on your already made review. I'm glad you guys played my game. This brand new version adds: Online Highscore! 3 tools to help you dig: a shovel, a pick and a secret one... I hople you'll like it. Good job to every one. Rock on! \m/
(There is a small, tiny glitch that freeze the player, sometime... Well not freezing, but setting vertical and horizontal speed to 0. I had a really hard time to reproduce the problem....if you can, send me a pm!)

-edited-

Last edited:
I think you need to be more lenient in game jams about design and explanations. I assumed your timer was broken as well, but it didn't affect the gameplay for me so I didn't worry about it.

O

Oyakiiv

2 days left for votes!
yeah...I should get back on that... definitely have a little under half of them left... ... ... and I still need to pick the best of's!!!!!! ... well that part is actually easy, I suppose...

Nallebeorn

Possibly stupid question: How do I start @theonewhoisodd's game, What Am I? It launches into a fullscreen main menu, but no mouse cursor is visible for some reason, and it doesn't seem like I can start the game with the keyboard, either.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Click around until you get it right? Alternately, toggle the fullscreen to aim your mouse better...?

M

Misu

Final word for me(about my entry): I believe that if I have to explain/justify something not obvious about one of my game, I have a design that needs work. Players told me the TIMER doesn't seems to work. Well in fact it works great. As soon as it reaches 0, no more blocks are created, only lava.
Well on my review, I have notice that the timer works but I mentioned it wasnt the best idea to use for a timer, although it is hard to think of a better one if your tool looks like a strange pogo-stick shovel. Would make much sense if it was a power shovel that requires electricity and the timer represents an electric battery or power source of some sort to indicate how much power left on the shovel. That would have been a bit wiser idea to use and much clearer to notice than having to magically poof lava when the timer reaches 0. You should check out my review if you havent yet.

ANYWAY, I just uploaded the scores, everyone! I like to congrats to all who participated and work hard on this Jam. Ive noticed major improvements by several users like @matharoo @Mocgames998 @Cat @var and @JacobV from other previous jams. This really was a good one.

Please do check out my post in the voting thread if you havent yet. Good luck everyone!
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/the-stellar-gmc-jam-4-voting-topic.27598/#post-171912

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
My reviews are up as well! Feel free to check them here.

Hope there will be a few more votes from others as well...

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
Votes are up! Great job everyone!

And much props to Alice for the Jam Player thing - first time using it fully - very cool - don't think I could have reviewed these games in time without it.

O

Oyakiiv

@Vonnbit wow you totally called me out there! yep I was going for something arcadey, and I decided on a schmup since I really dont do those....and I figured it would be easy to do, in my very limited time slot ( only got to work on the game for 14 hours ), especially since the base mechanics were inspired by the gamemaker 8 tutorial I did like... 5 years ago? ...ish

still fun to do though, I'm especially proud of the boss fight at the end... ... ... ...... (most didnt see it but oh well)... anyway I was proud of it because of the 'animated' cannon blast attack I made for it...even though it took waaaay too long to get it working correctly and lining it up properly, and I could have used that time to improve the presentation or even learn how to put sounds in...

I could rant for a while about how much of a learning experience this was for me...so I will stop now...

I don't quite have my votes finished, but I'm almost there. Do I have to finish them tonight? (What time does the voting actually end?)

I can get them submitted by 3:00 PM PST on Sunday.

Last edited:

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
I imagine that will be fine Cloaked Games.
Best to put whatever votes/reviews you have done so far up tho maybe just in case.
PM Alice for confirmation.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
@HayManMarc Just noticed your comment on "Into the Earth", mentioning how you kept mixing up the left/right controls for some reason. Actually, I've been having that trouble too, and I think it's because the drill clearly turns.

In games where you rotate-steer a turning vehicle (for example, most racing games), you usually have control scheme like up - accelerate, down - brake, left - turn left (counter-clockwise), right - turn right (clockwise). Some Jam games here used similar control scheme, too (like Seven Seas by nvrogers), and I think it's safe to say that sort of control scheme became one of common gaming intuitions. Now then, in Into the Earth, pressing left/right buttons makes the vehicle turn towards left side or right side of the screen, respectively. However, drill itself in its idle state is facing bottom, so it means left button makes the drill turn clockwise and right button turns it counter-clockwise - the opposite of the control scheme described above.

So, the reason why the controls can get mixed up is because of the clash between absolute direction control scheme (up/down/left/right - go towards up/down/left/right side) and relative direction control scheme (up/down/left/right - accelerate/brake/turn counter/turn clockwise). I'm pretty sure if the drill didn't smoothly rotate but instead simply turned diagonally, it wouldn't be as confusing; on the other hand, it wouldn't look as neat as it does now.

T

theonewhoisodd

Hey guys sorry for the radio silence this week. We had a bunch of people just quit at my day job and it really screwed us up. We've been on 10 hour shifts for the last week or so. I'm going in now to write up a comment on my top 3. If you want a more in depth review, message me on here and I'll write one up for you.

HayManMarc

@Alice and @The M -- that's exactly what I was thinking, but was too lazy to explain it. Thx! :) Maybe an option to reverse controls would be good for Into The Earth? It was a fun game, regardless.

The M

Alright, so I've updated Into the Earth to version 1.2. You can invert controls and more controls (and credits) are explained in the menu. This will probably be the final version of it.
I've also updated the .apk to the same version and changed how touch movement works (hopefully it's for the better but I haven't had time to test that properly yet). :)

HayManMarc

Alright, so I've updated Into the Earth to version 1.2. You can invert controls and more controls (and credits) are explained in the menu. This will probably be the final version of it.
I've also updated the .apk to the same version and changed how touch movement works (hopefully it's for the better but I haven't had time to test that properly yet). :)
Have you considered adding 'tilt' controls for mobile? (Not sure if that would actually work, but thought I'd suggest it.)

The M

I've thought about it but I haven't tried it yet. It would definitely help with visibility but I don't know how easy it'll be to control. If I add it I should probably add a button for disabling it.

The current control scheme kind of works but it could be better so I'll probably play around with it a bit more to see what happens. The mobile version isn't really complete until you can enter your name in the highscore anyways but that's gonna take some device specific code which I've been reluctant to add yet (mostly because I haven't looked into how to do it :p).

I have finished my reviews. I only got through 3/4 of the games though. But I have been really busy, and though I could probably squeeze 4 or 5 more games out, I really don't feel like rushing through games just to write low quality reviews. If anyone wants feedback from me, PM me, and I'll happily play any of your games (except for horror games) and give you feedback after the jam.

Good work everybody. I feel bad, because I'm sure the rest of the games are just as good and equally deserve feedback, but that's all I've got in me now.

O

Oyakiiv

just did my final update on my voting, the clock was running out so I only put in the overall and not the individual categories...

only got to play 23 of the games in the end, was gonna do more but needed to spend some time with my fiance...

Glad I decided not to add anymore mechanics to my game, it seems a few people had trouble understanding it. I thought it was really simple and even got my mother to test it (she doesn't play games at all) and she got it on her third attempt.
There *is* a bit going on in the background so I'll try and explain.
-So each sailor has a slightly random rate of mood decrease, much like they have random hug lengths they prefer.
-Their mood all slowly decrease over time and much faster if you put them to work.
-Putting then to work affects the ship condition, 1 slows the decrease, 2 halts it, and 3+ improves it. This is indicated by small coloured + and - near the condition bar.
-BUT! The condition of the ship also affects the rate their mood decreases. This isn't really noticable until the ship condition is under half way though. I think this is what caught most of you.
-Also, since reading the text was a bit difficult at times(I didn't have time to do speech bubbles...) but there were also a couple of random events that would either affect the condition of the ship, the moods of all crew members, or the mood of a sibgle crew member.
-I added a cooldown on hugs so you couldn't just hug repeatedly, this was represented but their bar turning red. I realised later that it could look confusing maybe so I added little heart and cloud particles to tell you if you got a great hug or a bad one.

I didn't think anyone needed to know that much detail (not that I had time to write it during the jam) and I didn't really explain any of that to my testers so I didn't think it was an issue.

T

theonewhoisodd

Had a chance to quickly run through all the reviews of my games. I don't really know what was causing people to not be able to see a mouse cursor, I never had any issue with seeing it so I don't know what to say. Next time I'll probably try making a custom mouse cursor to hopefully avoid that problem. May work, may not, who knows...
Also I just bought Spine so prepare for some badly drawn hastily animated sprites in the next jam! Mwahahahahahaha!?

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
The results are out!

Full results

Complete ranking:

Score breakdown spreadsheet

1. Voyage for the Lost Aegis by @ChessMasterRiley
  2. Self-Sacrifice by @JacobV, @0.Bytes
  3. Into the Earth by @The M
  4. Badass Voyage by @Joh
  5. Perilous Pilgrimage by @Kepons, @aamatniekss
  6. Unwelcome Passenger by @TehPilot, @TheFugue
  7. Voyage to the Final Lands by @Cloaked Games, @HayManMarc, Joeseph Benedetti
  8. The world is flat and so are you by @ghandpivot
  9. A Trip To The Grocery Store by @PizWiz
  10. Seven Sands by @nvrogers
  11. Journevazure by @Yal
  12. Voyage Back by @matharoo
  13. Space Taxi by @Cat, @var
  14. Until Night Falls by @Thexel PIN
  15. SSJGV3K by @Snail Man
  16. Voyage to the Earth Core by @NazGhuL
  17. Town to Town by @nix0nax
  18. CHZ by @johnwo
  19. TGWATT by @Dalesome
  20. Raftraftraft by @Nallebeorn
  21. Ballooning Over The Ocean by @GameDevDan
  22. Tapsailing by @Vonnbit
  23. Infinity infection by @lolslayer
  24. Gatika by @Buff
  25. Mutiny by @Siolfor the Jackal
  26. Beyonder by @Posho
  27. Project_Dahlia by @Freedom2Fight
  28. Finding Her by @chance
  29. Ship Ahoy by @Alexx
  30. Galactic Conqueror by @Bingdom, @Roa, @beli_mawrr
  31. Brick Ocean by @The Little Game Dev
  32. Cat Power by @FunkyB
  33. This is NOT Windwaker by @Misu, @Alice
  34. What Am I by @theonewhoisodd
  35. Sea Voyage by @BionicFrog
  36. Skyland Voyager by @K-BitCRUSH
  37. All Aboard The Spudship by @dadio
  38. Forbidden Frontier by @Wraithious
  39. Untitled Islands by @BitZero
  40. R.I.D.E. Something Something by @Mocgames998
  41. Voyage to Alpha Centuri by @theonewhoisodd
  42. Defector by @Oyakiiv
  43. Caravan by @sylvain_l

Best-ofs:

Best use of VOYAGE: Perilous Pilgrimage by @Kepons, @aamatniekss; Voyage to the Final Lands by @Cloaked Games, @HayManMarc, Joeseph Benedetti
Best Concept: The world is flat and so are you by @ghandpivot
Best Presentation: Voyage for the Lost Aegis by @ChessMasterRiley
Best Story: Self-Sacrifice by @JacobV, @0.Bytes
Best Devlog: Into the Earth by @The M

Best reviewer: @Misu

Other Jam prizes

In addition to getting the special banners, the top 3 entrants and best-of winners will be featured in the Hall of Fame.
Also, @ChessMasterRiley can choose the theme for the next Jam when the time comes.

Community prizes

Please don't forget to check if you aren't eligible for one of community prizes contributed to this Jam's pool, and poke the prize givers if necessary~!
(if you are the one giving away the prize, especially the one for specific entries, please contact those who should receive the prize)

The GMC Jam is officially finished!

M

Misu

Indeed, your medals look very artistically nice.

I like to thank you all for this jam experience and congrats every winner for their hard work and great dedication. It was wonderful and even if I didnt do my best, I worked longer this time so it was amazing how much I could do. Cant wait to see many here to continue to progress on game making and hoping to see you all return for next GMC Jam! Im actually temptive to participate again but much prepared.

JacobV

Congratulations, everyone! This was a great jam with some great entries; I think the trouble (I at least had) with sorting the top votes is a testament to that. Congrats to the winners and can't wait for the next jam!

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
@Alice: Well, this is another fine Jam you've gotten us into... (apologies to Laurel and Hardy). Excellent job, as always.

I was pleased with the winner list. The top 10 (or so) games are all good. But the top three were exceptional. Some possibilities for commercial success there. I was particularly inspired by JacobV and O.Bytes to work on my own platformer skills.

Nice job everyone.

0.Bytes

Congratulations to everybody that submitted a game, it was a really good experience be part of the Jam and help @JacobV

I played almost every game and I must say that everybody should be proud, the overall quality was outstanding

And wow the medals looks amazing !

Status
Not open for further replies.