Darts addict
Forum Staff
The first ever May Jam!

THEME:
VOYAGE

Results

FULL RESULTS HERE

What, where, when?

GMC Jam is a quarterly community event held on GameMaker Community. It is entirely a community event; neither YoYo Games nor Playtech are officially involved in this competition, aside from providing forum space to carry it out. It dates back to the times of old forum, where 21 editions were held (plus one bonus), and now it's a 4th edition here! You can check the GMC Jam records in the GMC Jam Hall of Fame & Archive.

The Jam has three phases:
  • discussion, held in discussion topic; started about 2 weeks before the Jam (the discussion remains open during and after the Jam, too, until the next Jam discussion starts)
  • development, the core of the Jam, the 72 hours when entries are made and posted in games topic
  • decision, when community members vote for their favourite games and provide feedback to specific entries; it lasts roughly 2 weeks after the Jam, before the results are announced

This GMC Jam will run for 72 hours in the following timeframe:
May 26th (Friday), noon UTC - May 29th (Monday), noon UTC

Countdown clock

GMC Jam rules

The following rules will be used during this GMC Jam. Also, general Community Guidelines apply. Compared to the GMC Jam #3 theme voting was removed (now there's only one theme picked by the winner); aside from that, rules remain the same.

PARTICIPATION:
  • any GMC member is welcome to participate in GMC Jam and submit their entry
  • each entry must be made by a single GMC member or a team of up to 3 people; people outside GMC can be in the team, as long as at least one GMC member is in that team
  • each participant can make or contribute to as many entries as they want, but they can only claim rewards for one of them (unless the reward is given specifically for the entry)
  • each entry must have a single post in this Jam's games topic (opened once the Jam officially starts), and no two entries can share the same post
  • the Games topic post can be used to present the entry progress; it can also contain a devlog
  • by the time the Jam ends, each Games topic post must contain a valid link to the entry downloadable file

ENTRY:
  • the entry must be an original creation made in GameMaker specifically for the Jam, within the Jam timeframe
  • the entry might use assets (graphics, audio, scripts, extensions, Marketplace resources etc.) created before the Jam, whether by team members or someone else; however, the credits should make clear where the assets come from and which were made before the Jam
  • the creators of the entry must have rights to all of the assets; unlicensed use of resources is not allowed
  • the entry must be available as a Windows executable file, exported as a stand-alone file or as a ZIP; installers are not allowed
  • the entry might be exported to other platforms as well (such as HTML5 or Android), but the Windows executable must be available

THEME:
  • the Jam has a theme picked by the previous winner - a general idea around which the entry can be built
  • while incorporating the theme in the entry is not mandatory, participants are strongly encouraged to do so
  • the entry that uses the theme in the most interesting way can win best use of theme award; if the Jam has two themes, there is one award for each theme

BEST-OF AWARDS:
  • aside from the Jam-specific theme, the games can be rated on the concept, the presentation and the story
  • the concept is related to the core gameplay mechanics idea - whether the game rules themselves are creative and entertaing or not
  • the presentation is related to the overall polish - whether the entry provides the right experience through audiovisuals, and whether it's not disrupted by bugs and errors
  • the story is related to the events or motivation present throughout the entry; it can be told through dialogue and narrative, as well as implied through game design
  • the entries excelling at these categories can win best concept, best presentation and best story awards
  • furthermore, aside from entries themselves, their devlogs can be rated; the entry with the most interesting devlog can win best devlog awards

VOTING:
  • after the Jam ends, all entries are gathered in a single ZIP with all entries for everyone to download
  • once the ZIP is available, the voting begins, and it lasts approximately 2 weeks; a longer voting period may be chosen when more than 70-80 entries are submitted
  • the voting period may be extended upon request by at most one additional week; however, not every such request must be granted, and one should show a reasonable progress with reviewing/playing the Jam entries
  • the voting is carried out in the Jam's voting topic, where each voter makes a single post for their scores and reviews
  • any GMC member may vote, whether they participated or not, but participants cannot rank or award their own entries
  • each voter must rank and post a brief comment on at least top 3 games; also, they can rank more games
  • each voter can vote for best use of theme, concept, presentation, story and devlog
  • each voter can vote for best reviewer, but in this case their opinion is entirely non-binding - the best reviewer is eventually chosen by the Jam host after the voting ends
  • if some voters or participants are found to be cheating, their entries may be disqualified and they might be excluded from future community events
  • shortly after the voting period closes (preferably within 24 hours), the votes are summed up, and the final results announced; after that, all prizes should be distributed where applicable

PRIZES:
  • top 3 entries, as well as best-of award winners, get special banners and are featured in the Hall of Fame
  • creator of the highest ranking themed entry gets the right to choose the next Jam's theme
  • aside from regular GMC Jam prizes, other GMC members can contribute the community prizes by messaging the Jam host
  • the community prizes can be given to any range of places, best-of winners, reviewers, personal favourites etc.
  • the community prizes can be nearly anything - custom graphics, soundtracks, gameplay videos, software keys etc.; as long as they are not monetary prizes and they don't break community rules
  • it is community prize contributor's responsibility to give the prize; they should make sure they can deliver their promise

Community prizes

Want to add your community prize? Send a message to the Jam host the details!
(note that you will need to handle prizes distribution after the Jam, please don't pass keys through me or anything)

• @Alexx offers a paperback book with 100 Programming Challenges to 10 random entries
  • @Cloaked Games offers an easter-egg reference to entry with best use of theme, in the currently developed project
  • @dadio offers:
    • commercial use licenses for all of his ~150 fonts to all participants
    • early access to his top secret project (as soon as EA is ready) to top 3 winners
    • Cosmochoria and Skullgirls Steam keys to the overall winner
  • @K-BitCRUSH offers a GameMaker game key (possible choices here) for 1st and 2nd place
  • @Mocgames998 offers Owlboy Steam key to 11th place winner (if he gets the place, the prize will be given to 12th place instead)
  • @theonewhoisodd offers Steam keys for games from this list to places 1-10

Spread the word!

If you would like to promote the Jam, please paste the following code in your signature. Also, please remember that your signature is effective only when you are posting around forums. You might want to go ahead and give feedback in Made with GameMaker and Work in Progress forums, or maybe participate in Programming and Community Tech Support discussions.

Code:
[center][url=https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/the-stellar-gmc-jam-4-discussion-thread.26589/][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/TldmCqc.png[/IMG][/url][/center]
Star Jedi font has been used for the banner

Let's get the discussion started!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 467

WHOO! I love the banner for this, it's nice!
And I think I can participate in this one this time, hopefully. I'll have to see.

Edit: The countdown clock isn't working :|

Last edited by a moderator:

ghandpivot

Will not have time to enter this time around, I'm in the middle of my bachelor's. That being said, I might throw together an interesting concept because I have on in mind.

With that said, I think the theme is "UNIQUE". Remember I called it early.

T

Teroil

Fuuuu the jam runs right when I turn 18 years old and I'm going to celebrate at least through the time of the jam, so I'm unfortunately going to miss the jam ):

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
Not participating in this one, but I'm hoping to participate in the summer one. For the first time in God knows how many years. Music school requires lots of studying in all the free time I have. BUT GOOD LUCK TO THE JAMMERS! May the force be with ya I guess.

Hopefully I can participate, I shouldn't have anything but... you know...

I already used up all my science fiction ideas in the last jam. Hopefully the theme is something I can work with.

I don't have an idea for what the theme is yet, but I hope it's what @ghandpivot said, UNIQUE. Cause that fits perfectly my other idea for a jam game.

cdgamedev

Why is it that all of the jams occur when I'm in work? :'(

Edit: Will be able to make something but won't be able to upload as I won't be home and have WiFi on the Monday....

Last edited:

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
HYPETRAIN.gif jamtiem.gif

Oh it's sooooo good to have a single Theme and that it's short and we can see how many potential letters it has from the start, no messing about.
And no Handicap - ah the joys of simplicity!
Gonna get *something* in for this Jam - hopefully even a proper game, (ya right) let's see!

Wild Theme guess:
NATURE

Last edited:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Did someone say HYPE TRAIN?
upload_2017-5-14_10-37-33.png

Also, how about some music to get everyone in the right stellar mood? A bit too early since it's not time to start coding yet, but... eh, before I forget and stuff :p

Last edited by a moderator:
V

Virtual Mage

Omgomg, marking off this weekend on my calendar :D
I'm gonna make something 3D and post the source!
Mmmmmmm, seems like a jam that I'll avoid.. xD
I'd end up sending in the worst ever game and be the last place, like last time lol.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I'm going to throw something shoddy together very early on recycling assets from my other games, then keep adding more stuff to it diluting the core gameplay loop and release it forgetting something very important, negatively affecting my ratings in every single review.

...so business as usual, in other words :p

Micah_DS

WHOO! Whatever beyond hype is, I'm there!! For the first time ever, I got the weekend off from work, and it's even PAID time off! So it's like I'll be getting paid to jam. Ohh, it's so dang beautiful, I might cry.

Theme guesses:
FORCES
PANDAS
SWITCH
FUTURE
PSYCHE
SWORDS

TehPilot

First day of the Jam overlaps with my last day of vacation. Might do something small, who knows.

(Gotta make up for the disappointing no-show last jam sometime...)

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
Nice Theme guesses so far! Lotsa fun possibilities!
JarJar would actually be hilarious - most would ditch da obvious and go for a literal jar I'm sure. A jam jar no doubt. A jam jar not dissimilar to DIS!
GuardiansoftheJAM500kb.gif
WOOT!!!

R

Rusty

Once again, I'm working round the clock over the Jam but if anybody needs a pixel artist, ya'll know where to find me.

I take payment in murdered Gungans.

M

Misty

It always confuses me when the jam theme is different from the jam title.

I say the jam theme should be the same as the jam title, stellar sci-fi or space or something.

R

Rusty

Yes but then when the Jam is announced everybody would know the theme. The whole point in hiding the theme is to help ensure everybody begins working at the same time.

M

Misty

Yes but then when the Jam is announced everybody would know the theme. The whole point in hiding the theme is to help ensure everybody begins working at the same time.
I have an idea. What if the main theme is like "Main group" And there are 3 subthemes that fit into the main theme, that way people don't know what the subthemes are going to be and can't cheat and work ahead of time.

HayManMarc

"Stellar" and "May the fourth jam..." are the hype themes for the Jam. The theme for your entry remains a secret until JamStart.

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
secrettoeverybody.gif

On a somewhat serious note - I kinda agree with da the idea that it's confusing now (especially for new jammers I imagine) that each Jam has a "Hype Theme" - in this case it looks like StarWars. Before, this made sense, because we had the 3 elements - Hype Theme, THEME, and Handicap. But now, I don't know - I agree with Misty that it's an issue.

Rather than try to add more on top to "fix" this issue, I think I'd rather just remove more (simplify) to fix it.

I suggest ditching any "Hype Theming" for future Jams. Better that everyone is clear on the idea that the actual THEME has yet to be revealed. I also suggest editing the OP on this topic also to make the fact that the THEME has yet to be decided, and is 6 letters long, pop much more.

"But we'll have nothing to post pics/gifs about without a Hype theme!" I hear you cry.
Not really, we still have the usual JAM thing to play on (jamjars, jelly etc.) and we still have the usual YoYo/GM classics to pull from (smiley cog etc.) - I don't think it would really be a problem, and complete removal of the "Hype Theme" would reduce any confusion in the build up.

Cat

I suggest ditching any "Hype Theming" for future Jams.
Alternatively, the hype theme could remain with the stipulation that it's something very broad and/or vague. For instance, something like "The Cosmic GMC Jam #4". Then, the actual theme could be a meronym of "cosmic", e.g. black_hole or what have you.

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
That (I think) would cause problems with early guessing the actual Theme and people starting projects before the Jam starts. I'd be more inclined to ditch the Hype Theme - keep the GMC Jam 05 Logo as just a green jar or whatever - and once the Theme was revealed *then* "theme" the Logo with the actual Theme (swap out the image with an appropriate new one). That way there would never be any confusion about Jams (in particular when looking back quickly over old Jams - we would be able to tell instantly what each Jam was about). Just my 2 cents.

Incidentally, I'm curious to see how Alice handles letter reveals this time round - with only 6 letters to reveal, even just 1 known letter will reduce the possibilities down *a lot*... should be interesting!

sylvain_l

OK, during the Hype period, we can talk about any theme, because it can get confusing for those who don't know the difference between hype theme/discussion and theme of the jam.

Honestly, if someone can't wait for the theme revelation, and start before the starting date, based on the hype theme, I'm even more to have a hype theme ! (hoping that the hype theme is very far from the jam theme). I'mean we are talking about taking care of not confusing someone who's not willing to respect the rules of the jam ^^ (I find *that* really confusing :p)
Alice 1st post is clear about the rules, and the course of the jam. (reading OP 1st post if someone is interested in participating in the jam shouldn't be too much asking)

mee too, I'm quite curious how alice is going to handle the letter revelation with only 6. (perhaps there'll be none, that's the trick :D)
only idea I have is that it could be something more cryptic then a single word, like:

PEBKAC
I<3GMS

R

Rusty

Wouldn't the obvious solution be to drop the "hype themes"?

I mean it started off okay, it was mainly just different ways of saying "Fantastic" Jam. Personally I don't see an issue with it but if people are somehow getting confused about this then it's better off just dropped right?

I mean, this Jam isn't a Star Wars Jam, nothing to do with Star Wars, we're just having fun with Star Wars because it's a "May" Jam.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Just for the record, I usually try to make the Jam title related more or less to the recent events (as opposed to some random words). Looking back, the Jam titles were variations on fantastic/spectacular/wonderful etc., then dadio happened with "potatotastic" Jam. Then inspired by people randomly placing potatoes in their games (and caring about potatoes more than about the designated "secret word" which has been a thing back then, and I'd rather not go back to) a 3rd-place chosen hype theme has been introduced. Then after a few Jams the 3rd-place chosen hype theme was dropped because, as it turned out, one can't really force the hype to come out.

So recently, I try to make the Jam titles more or less related to the recent events. Thus, first we have Post-Apocalyptic Jam after the GMC forum was completely redone, then Humble Jam after all this large humble bundle business, then Experimental Jam related to the brand new bleeding edge GM:S 2, and now Stellar Jam, which refers to Star Wars, which itself is caused by the Jam both happening on May and being fourth on the new boards (and happening on May specifically because of recent changes to the Jam scheduling); also, somewhat staying true to former fantastic/wonderful/etc. Jam titling.

I feel this gives each Jam a bit of its own unique flavour, and can inspire some interesting things, though if more people report they're genuinely confused about Jam titles (or don't like titles for other reasons), I might consider ditching them altogether (or just start a poll in suggestions topic)...? Either way, the title definitely stays for this specific Jam; I already got the banners n' stuff. Just note, generally to me something like "I am confused about this" matters more than "it's something people may be confused about". Before trying to solve the potential problem, it's often wise to see if the problem exists in the first place. ^^'

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
I agree about the "before we solve a potential problem" thing Alice... but in this case Misty said she was confused, so we have at least one known person with an issue. I guess if more people chip in that they find it confusing too, then there'll be more reason to change.

Either way, I don't think it's a massive problem. Just as happy to keep it as it is. It is kinda fun seeing what recent event you tie each Jam into.

9 days til the Jam starts people! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.