• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

The Spine Tutorial

JaimitoEs

The gamemaker Runtime are updated and now you are unable to reproduce the animations getting a crash, because the asset example was exported from a previous Spine version....

If you are in GMS1.4 , downlad the 3.4.02 Spine version, open the Spine asset .json file on it, save the project in Spine and after export the asset with the newest version. Load the new sprite( json file) in the gamemaker project. That´s all, no more crashes.

D

Donovan

Oh. Hrm. That explains why the tutorial wasn't working. It ran, but didn't play the animations.

My personal project's crashes, however, may be because I am using Spine 3.5.41, and not 3.4.02. Let's try that, then.

D

Donovan

Yup, that was the issue ... Spine Version was too advanced. Thanks for the assist!

D

Donovan

Nope, still not working. After creating the skeleton in Spine 3.4.02, and exporting it in GMS 1.4.1757, I can get a still version of it, but still no animation.

In my create event, I have:
Code:
skeleton_animation_set("hover");
In my step event, I have:
Code:
if skeleton_animation_get() != "hover"{
skeleton_animation_set("hover")};
And that's it. This ought to produce animation, but it doesn't. And upon exiting the example, the Runner still crashes.

JaimitoEs

Nope, still not working. After creating the skeleton in Spine 3.4.02, and exporting it in GMS 1.4.1757, I can get a still version of it, but still no animation.

In my create event, I have:
Code:
skeleton_animation_set("hover");
In my step event, I have:
Code:
if skeleton_animation_get() != "hover"{
skeleton_animation_set("hover")};
And that's it. This ought to produce animation, but it doesn't. And upon exiting the example, the Runner still crashes.
Try with the lastest version of Spine, remember, load your asset in the last version,and before export with the newest version of Spine, you must to save the Spine project to update the asset json with the new features, after that you can export and load in gamemaker.

rIKmAN

If you are using 1757 try first using 2.1.27.
If that works try 3.0.10 and work backwards until it works again.

Spine support in GM is atrocious atm.

D

Donovan

I have the latest (paid) versions of both Spine and GMS, Jaimitoes. These are what I started with when I initially ran into this problem. I've retro-graded Spine from 3.5 to 3.4 in order to get the game to even start up without crashing.

Rikman, are you suggesting I abandon version 3 of Spine altogether and start with 2, then work my way up? Holy crap, this is way more complicated than I anticipated when getting back into this ...

D

Donovan

So ... sorry for the delay in replying here.

The problem was the shear key. I wasn't using it, but I was keying it. Gamemaker doesn't understand what that is. Once I removed all of the shear keys, it worked. I had to read the notes Gamemaker was outputting in the compile window while loading the Spine sprite. That cleared it up right away.

For note, I am using Spine 3.4.02 and the latest build of GMS.