• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Discussion The skinny on 3D in GameMaker?

F

frog

I was a GameMaker user about ten years ago, and the 3D was extremely limited back then. Been playing with Unity3D for some time now. But, now I'm kind of curious... have there been any advancements in GameMaker's 3D in the last decade? Enough to make a 90's-esque quality FPS at least is really all I'm looking for.

M

MishMash

I was a GameMaker user about ten years ago, and the 3D was extremely limited back then. Been playing with Unity3D for some time now. But, now I'm kind of curious... have there been any advancements in GameMaker's 3D in the last decade? Enough to make a 90's-esque quality FPS at least is really all I'm looking for.
GM doesn't really have any "convenience" 3D functions, though given access to shaders + vertex buffers and an (almost) raw Direct 3D 9 pipeline, you can technically achieve a lot! Theoretically, if you had the assets, you could make a game as good as one in Unity, though it would require quite a bit more work as you would have to implement both physics and a rendering pipeline by yourself.

I took interest in this a few months ago and me, Orange451 and Jared produced a collection of 3D mini projects in GM:

(Credits to Xygthop for the normal mapping + cube maps)

I'm not going to lie, it's difficult and time consuming :p! I did it because I find it fun to work on things, though the lack of any real assets to use does annoy me :S! I reckon, you could make something more graphically impressive than Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, if you had access to the assets :)!

Some other guy made this using my first shadow shader (which wasn't a great shader):

A number of other users have also made a bunch of really cool 3D stuff! You should check out Xygthop3, Xor, theSnidr, GMEngineer, Lonewollf, Blue Burn (to name a few).

M

MishMash

Is that true AO or some "shortcut"?
Really nice examples btw! Truly a testament to what can be achieved with GM!

Cheers!
It's SSAO (Screen-space Ambient occlusion) which I guess by definition is a "cheat", though it works arbitrarily on any object, and so long as you have a depth, normal and diffuse buffer, you can use it. (For this reason, it also works on dynamic objects).
Here are some pics of it used in various rendering demo's:

http://i.imgur.com/YsNO4zi.jpg Cod4 shipment map (SSAO + Cascaded Shadow maps)
http://i.imgur.com/udMZqrD.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/lrz2ZlW.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/HFomYbf.jpg

So yeah, its not baked AO or anything :) (Though Baked AO can look pretty sick!)

F

frog

Well, question wouldn't be so much about how pretty it can look, but what is the development process going to be like. For example, importing a model and scripting animations, building out 3D level geometry. Basically, the meat n' potatoes of making a 3D game. It sounds like my question has been answered, "it's not gonna be easy". Looks like I'll just stick with Unity3D for 3D, then. It has a ton of convenience functionality, streamlining, etc and it goes well beyond graphics, into audio, 3D sound positioning, realtime lighting, collision detection, etc, etc, etc. Thanks for the answers guys.

Roa

GM doesn't really have any "convenience" 3D functions, though given access to shaders + vertex buffers and an (almost) raw Direct 3D 9 pipeline, you can technically achieve a lot! Theoretically, if you had the assets, you could make a game as good as one in Unity, though it would require quite a bit more work as you would have to implement both physics and a rendering pipeline by yourself.

I took interest in this a few months ago and me, Orange451 and Jared produced a collection of 3D mini projects in GM:

(Credits to Xygthop for the normal mapping + cube maps)

I'm not going to lie, it's difficult and time consuming :p! I did it because I find it fun to work on things, though the lack of any real assets to use does annoy me :S! I reckon, you could make something more graphically impressive than Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, if you had access to the assets :)!

Some other guy made this using my first shadow shader (which wasn't a great shader):

A number of other users have also made a bunch of really cool 3D stuff! You should check out Xygthop3, Xor, theSnidr, GMEngineer, Lonewollf, Blue Burn (to name a few).

Show off. lol

So when is the editor coming out? :rolleyes:

M

Misu

3D in Game maker may not be the best actually and especially when yoyogames does not want to apply any more new improvements to it (according to a source I once read back in the old forum within the community chat). However, we can still come up with improvements of our own to provide for the community like dll, assets, tutorials, etc... Right now, I am actually working on a 3D asset that executes most of 3D mechanism in very few and simple command lines, so less work and struggle needed to make the most complex 3D mechanism in a video game. I know several people here who are contributing with 3D creation with game maker too and it really helps with 3D projects. It just takes good minds to work it out.

F

frog

Even with all of Unity's tools, automated importing of assets, animation scripting in mechanim, etc. It is still very challenging. My goal is to produce games, no interest in writing my own tools. I'm very goal-oriented that way. In fact I just recently gave up on 2D game development because my heart wasn't in it. Not a thing you want to discover after years of investing in pixel art and 2D games. There's a pretty huge learning curve to 3D in general and it goes well beyond simply getting something on the screen. Skinning and rigging meshes is its own art form. Then there's animating, which requires a whole different skillset or a mocap set. I can do it all, but looking at what I have had to learn and what I still have to study it's a lot. Can't imagine stopping what I am doing to go back and rewrite everything. Seems pointless.

M

Misty

Well, I'll tell you the fat of it. GM 3d is good, except for the zfighting.

M

MishMash

Well, I'll tell you the fat of it. GM 3d is good, except for the zfighting.
Z-fighting is a product of how 3D rendering is done when two triangles occupy the same space, or are in very close proximity of each other. GM uses DX9, just like many other games & engines. You just have to be smart about your depth range of your camera as that ultimately equates to how precise the depth buffer is. Bear in mind, this is a HARDWARE depth buffer, no engine can decide what it's precision is unless it implements a custom system. (This is no longer true for DX10 +, but i'm talking about game engines that at some point used DirectX 9).

Z-fighting is caused by people setting a precision for close things too high, or not using a split camera for rendering far away objects with high precision. Also, you shouldn't be drawing triangles that occupy the same space anyway :p