THE SHAMROCK RANGER demo on itch.io (first public version) - [2D Action/Platformer]

IgnacioG

Hi everyone, the first public version of my solo project "The shamrock ranger" is out.

TSR is a action/platformer with rogue-like elements, where you get evaluated every time you complete a stage, and, if you have the requirements you unlock new abilities! but remember, you can't recover your health so make the most of your abilities (also, you don't lose your new abilities if you retry after dying or completing every stage).

DEMO (Windows) : https://ignaciog.itch.io/the-shamrock-ranger

Post game survey: https://forms.gle/mtTPKSRMAX9Tiqgd7

*HTML5 version coming soon!

This is a project for my last year of college, development started around November 2020 and I've spent most of my free time working on it (Design, programing, visual art and sound). Since is a project for college is very important for me to receive feedback, so I would be incredibly grateful if you download and play at least one run of the game. Also, there is a post-game survey that I encourage you to respond after playing the game. Any comments in this post or in the game's itchi.o page are also welcome.

GAMEPLAY SCREENSHOTS:

Thanks for playing :)

Last edited:

IgnacioG

Update: I've released version 1.1 mostly fixing some bugs and polishing the game, you can see the changes here:

Thanks for all the feedback

Yrbiax

Hey, i tried your game.

Good stuff so far. I liked running animation. Here is some feedback.

TSR.png
I could barely see this bullet here. You could add bit more color to them.
I think it would be good if you had more control over jump height. Currently you can only make huge jumps.
Camera didnt seem to move with player vertically until character was touching edge of the screen. I couldnt really see what was above me.

I made it to the end and it said that i obtained 6/6 skills, but i seemed to have all abilities right from the beginning.

IgnacioG

Hey, i tried your game.

Good stuff so far. I liked running animation. Here is some feedback.

View attachment 40997
I could barely see this bullet here. You could add bit more color to them.
I think it would be good if you had more control over jump height. Currently you can only make huge jumps.
Camera didnt seem to move with player vertically until character was touching edge of the screen. I couldnt really see what was above me.

I made it to the end and it said that i obtained 6/6 skills, but i seemed to have all abilities right from the beginning.

Hey, first of all thanks for trying the game :)

For the bullet I've recevied similar feedback regarding the projectile sprites, right now I'm working on replacing some of them.
For the camera and the jump height, I think that both work well on their own but their design"collide" in a way. I'm thinking what to do about it.

Apparently after some changes I've did resulted in that some people got every ability from the start. I've updated game and the latest version should be working correctly.