• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM The seed

Z

zendraw

so im saving the seed random_get_seed(); and i load the game, and it generates the way it previously did, when i saved the seed. but if i re generate again, without reseting the room or the game, it generates differently. is there a way to generate the same old things no matter how meny times i re generate them? like lets say you have a seeries of 16 blocks in a roll that get generated once y>128, i want to generate the same variation of blocks in a roll every time i pass the y>128 border. without reseting, or is it not possible without reset?

PS: also another question if any1 knows, what is random_use_old_version(flag);? what is the difference betwean using old version and new one?

kamiyasi

If you want the same result to occur by using random() multiple times, you have to use random_get_seed() every time you want that action to occur.

Z

zendraw

yes i save and load the seed. but if i trigger the generation again, without reseting the game it gives me diffrent resaults.

Z

zendraw

yes, setting the seed before the random gen seems to do the trick. i will haev to work more on the method.