• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

The problem with HD graphics in games

M

Misty

I will list objective reasons HD graphics look off.

1. Jaggies. For some reason, many games in HD have jaggies, instead of the anti-aliasing in low poly games.
For instance, Gamecube games have anti-aliasing inherently on HD tv's. But Wii U games have aliasing and jaggies.

2. Uncanny valley. Seeing the entire world, but on a small screen, feels off and strange. Like you are looking into a magical window to reality.

3. Lack of scientific and artist understanding about materials. Special effects seem mathematics based, rather than science or art based. I will give an example.
In real life, I was looking close up at this thing made of metal. The metal was all the same scientific material.
But some parts of it had diagonal ruffles, other parts were pitted and looked like Halo 1, other parts looked shiny and glossy. It was all the same material, metal, but each part handled light in a different way, due to the finish and way the surface was polished.

Contrast this to modern graphics, which just blindly says "Ah, it's metal. We will handle it as one texture and material." When in reality, it would be handled with several different materials: And a mix of effects: Both bumpmapping and envmapping combined, both specular and gloss mapping combined.

Modern graphics look spectacularly off at times.

4. Repetitive textures. The more low fi a texture is, the harder it is to tell it is repeated. Instead, it looks like a blurry stretched ambiguity. High res textures look more like a repeated image. In order for there to be realism in game graphics, textures either need to be layered to make the repetitiveness unnoticeable, or dynamic proc gen textures.

5. Lack of deep artistic awareness of color theory. Shadows and lights do not display colors rightly. For example, in real life a transparent red cloth will cast a red shadow. But most game engines will make it cast a black shadow. Also, in real life, bright objects will have a blue border on one side, and an orange border on another side. Yet this ability is not in games, especially because the width of the border in real life would be smaller than a pixel even on 1080p.

6. Lack of awareness about the eyes. When solar effects and specular is applied from sunlight, it causes a greenish red effect on the eyes. But in games, the effect is either just white or yellow, so it just feels off and plasticy.

7. Overusage of specular (making it plastic looking) and overusage of ambient occlusion. Ambient occlusion is an improvement from fullbright unshaded. However, it is still cheap and lazy, and only works well in 3d. Ambient occlusion applied to 2d scenes, looks like the photoshop or GM glow filter applied to everything, it looks sporty and cheap. And ambient occlusion is a loose approximation of real life, in real life shadows look more seemingly random and does not apply smooth shadows on every surface.
This is why, goldeneye 64 "felt right" because the shadows seemed random (and some of them seemed off scientifically also) but it didn't make the brain feel weird, because the brain is used to weird and hard to predict shadows. Whereas ambient occlusion is too predictable so it seems off.

Address to fanboyism.
Fanboys will call me a luddite and saying "Get with the times." How dare I criticize hd graphics? Surely I need to get with the times and praise the HD graphics and realism. Surely I should praise the cutting edge.

Here is my argument to them. I am saying that your current cutting edge is the equivalent of a medieval catapult. And that HD graphics are not realistic at all, but actually unrealistic. Therefore, it is not that I am a luddite at all. I am saying the state of graphics isn't realistic or futuristic, and that it is technologically dissatisfying.

D

Deleted member 13992

I agree with several of the things you said.

However consider many things are the way they are because of performance reasons. Things like a red shadow from a red cape, or unique textures for every material, things like these *can* be done but are usually cut or discarded as ideas because they're too performance heavy. Also consider most AAA games are made with consoles in mind, not PCs.

It's very often not a "lack of awareness", but a conscious time, cost, risk assesment or performance decision decided by technical directors and producers/project closers.

Saying it's a lack of awareness is a bit insulting, honestly. Sometimes it is, usually it is not.

(source: gamedev is my day job)

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
Gamecube on an hd screen is antialiased because it is on an hd screen, which it wasn't meant to be. try a super nintendo or a ps2 or something, and it'll be the same.
It is not futuristic, because it is the present right now. But yeah, hd isn't often realistic... yet. one is a "fanboy" because one dreams of the day when a red cloth casts a red shadow. What's really uncanny valley is n64 graphics though. I'd rather see an hd guy in real life than a 64 bit one. lol. I haven't recognized one repeated texture in botw. But for the most part, I would say youre right. but in the mean time, everything you've described would take one heckuva computer that most don't have, not to mention the fact that it wouldn't be worth the sheer money it would cost to make it... Because few have a computer strong enough to deal with all that.

Disclaimer, Maybe I don't know how hard it would be to do all that. But few devs do it, otherwise you wouldn't be complaining about it, so it must be at least somewhat hard. It's not so much a problem with hd, as it is a problem with graphics in general.

that was a long rambly and unorganised response on my part, sorry! If you want this to change, then implement it and blow people away, or wait. That's my opinion.

M

Misty

Gamecube on an hd screen is antialiased because it is on an hd screen, which it wasn't meant to be. try a super nintendo or a ps2 or something, and it'll be the same.
It is not futuristic, because it is the present right now. But yeah, hd isn't often realistic... yet. one is a "fanboy" because one dreams of the day when a red cloth casts a red shadow. What's really uncanny valley is n64 graphics though. I'd rather see an hd guy in real life than a 64 bit one.
In my opinion uncanny valley HD people like in post #2 looks like nightmare fuel. I prefer cute polygonal characters like Link in Zelda over an HD nightmare.

The only time I have seen HD characters that look nice is in cutscenes of games or Nintendo/Namco games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

zendraw

what allesio posted. but anyway what i dont want to see HD is alredy made games NOT in HD. for some reason people think making an old game HD makes it better but instead it looks like garbage afterwards. the game is just not meant to be HD, get a life.

Dude, no. Wonderboy remake was amazing. Really brought a lot of life into the game. Even though the underlying game played exactly the same, the improved art and animations really made it feel like a different game. The effort that went into that was astounding.

B

BearlyBros

I prefer the one on the left. Maybe because I never played Wonderboy so I don't have the nostalgia but that art style on the left is brilliant!