GMC Jam Discussion The Post-Apocalyptic GMC Jam #1 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Alright, a little update. I'll be sending another ZIP soon, as the current one apparently doesn't contain HackMan by AT, SA. I'm really sorry about that, I must have downloaded the game, made the directory, but actually failed to put the game in the directory.

At the same time, it means that now I can add a few other changes in a batch; in particular, set up the way post-Jam entries are handled by the Jam Player, do some other quick fixes or include a few other post-Jam builds (but those should be reserved for critical errors only; I don't want the ZIP oozing with post-Jam versions just because there's always something to fix after the Jam!). So, if there's something to change, in particular something is missing or something doesn't work (especially in Jam Player), please don't hesitate to tell me in this topic or via conversation.
(if everything is working fine on your side, I'd like to know too; I know people tend to just take things working fine for granted, but without that info I can't tell if I don't get error reports because there aren't errors, or because no one is there to check them)

Also, @Miner7365, could you explain exactly what you did and in what way the run button isn't working? Is there some error message, or nothing happens? Is it greenlit (if you stumbled upon HackMan, the button wouldn't work because it finds no *.exe to play in the first place)?

ghandpivot

I've thrown up some day one reviews. After these 5 games I feel like my speaking abilities have reached normal levels, so sorry to the 5 first developers who'll have to listen really closely to hear what I'm saying, I've not actually spoken English in months :)
Also as I get more into it I'll be able to get my points across better, so I might redo the first reviews later.

P

ParodyKnaveBob

Yes, it should be a zip file, made with the zip export option in gamemaker. Or if you feel like putting in a readme file, you can extract, put the readme in and re-zip it. Make sure the game is in the root directory of the zip (or is that optional? idk)
Fwiw, you shouldn't have to extract and re-zip. You should just be able to drag the text file into the zip file. Since Vista at least, the OS would handle the repackaging automatically. (Of course, if you're piping GM into some other OS like Mac or Linux, then who knows. Lol.)

Awwww, I had some 5-6 other quotes I'd built up to respond to all at once (even before I posted yesterday saying I had weekend work and lack of GM installed), but they're all gone now. Maybe after I posted, XenForo decided I didn't want those quotations for this thread anymore? Hm. (Not an XF complaint, btw. It's great that we even can multiquote so simply.)

@Alice, I never said, I really like some of the new rules, including explicitly requiring (to the point of disqualification) having rights to use all assets, properly attributing such, and even (oh wow nice!) declaring which assets were created pre-Jam for more accurate judging! $:^ b

Regards, all,
Bob $:^ ]

Zodaris

Oh a new zip? Will this one have all the games in it or just the ones that got fixed/missed? Because if it has all the games, I'll wait until that's up to download the games. (my comp says it'll take 11-15 hours to download, so I'm only downloading it once. :p )

S

Sovel

Some people continue working on their own forever rather than forming teams, though. Pixel, Toby Fox*, Hik**, Jonathan Blow... I guess that if you have enough artistic vision, it gets hard to work in a team since you need to compromise, and the greatest art requires you to follow an idea all the way through instead of stopping halfway. It probably is more sustainable to work in a team, though... from my experiences of working with Tsuka last jam, it feels WONDERFUL to be able to focus completely on your forte... but at the same time, it's very draining to have someone be relying on you, because the pressure not to mess up gets a lot higher, especially with a deadline. And it's also worth nothing that PROJECT MANAGEMENT AND TEAM MANAGEMENT TAKES BOTH TIME AND EFFORT, AND IT SCALES EXPONENTIALLY WITH THE TEAM SIZE. Note that down in big red letters somewhere, because a lot of people forget all about those things, and it's lead to the untimely downfall of a lot of GMC projects I've seen. If you can, take courses in project management at an university level or get a book or something (I can recommend a book written by one of my former teachers, just make sure to grab an english copy if you're not from Scandinavia - it's about 100 pages and mainly used to look things up quickly, perfect to use as a quick reference).

*Yeah, I'm aware of Temmie Chang's contributions, but both the credits and her Twitter profile points out she mainly did supplemental graphics rather than them working as a team throughout the entire development process of Undertale.
**Pretty obscure guy that mainly does Shmups, most famous for Warning Forever
Preaching to the choir!! But yes that is actually what i'm lookng to try. Working with maybe one or two other game devs to make games would be coowel.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
@Zodaris Generally, it should go like that:
- there will be a small "patch" ZIP with missing files + some metadata (tiny, really), so that someone who downloaded the old ZIP won't need to download a great pack again
- there will be a large ZIP replacing the current one, so that someone who hasn't downloaded the old ZIP won't need to download the ZIP + patch

With that in mind, I suggest you just start downloading the current ZIP to start playing earlier, then once the patch is ready, apply the patch (basically, by unpacking it in the same directory as Jam player and randomiser).

Zodaris

@Zodaris Generally, it should go like that:
- there will be a small "patch" ZIP with missing files + some metadata (tiny, really), so that someone who downloaded the old ZIP won't need to download a great pack again
- there will be a large ZIP replacing the current one, so that someone who hasn't downloaded the old ZIP won't need to download the ZIP + patch

With that in mind, I suggest you just start downloading the current ZIP to start playing earlier, then once the patch is ready, apply the patch (basically, by unpacking it in the same directory as Jam player and randomiser).
Alright, thanks! I'll get the download started then.

trg601

I made a little modification for @Dark's game, Grave Trigger:
I noticed that the model files were included with the zip, so I thought a little modding was in order XD!
The mod changes the faces of the ghosts, and adds a zombie hand coming up from the graves.

And since you can mod the projectiles too, the possibilities are almost endless!
Here is the zip with the mods, just put them in the "Models" folder. (Backup the original models first though)

I don't know if the moddability was intentional, but it is super awesome!

D

Dark

It was indeed intentional :3 I meant to package the world editor with the game (it's still in the game's code though, just in an inaccessible room) and make the tileset externally loaded too but I didn't have enough time. Eventually I'll be adding a scripting language for the post-jam version and moving some of the code to external scripts. I already have the language and interpreter, it will just take a lot of time to create all the functions specific to the game.

What voxel editor are you using, by the way? I've been using Slab6.

trg601

It was indeed intentional :3 I meant to package the world editor with the game (it's still in the game's code though, just in an inaccessible room) and make the tileset externally loaded too but I didn't have enough time. Eventually I'll be adding a scripting language for the post-jam version and moving some of the code to external scripts. I already have the language and interpreter, it will just take a lot of time to create all the functions specific to the game.

What voxel editor are you using, by the way? I've been using Slab6.
That's super awesome that it was intentional!
I would totally love to play with a post-jam version that had more modding capabilities, and I used slab6 too. (I didn't know there were others, but I will look into them, since I don't love the controls of slab6)

Last edited:
R

rui.rosario

Having a lot of fun programming my own Voting App in Java while the ZIP archive downloads xD

currently writing the exporter of the reviews / rankings / etc based on template files. Current voting post is from the latest run.

I have a question, when voting for best concept, story or use of the theme, will my short description I wrote on the game submission page be taken into account or just what is seen in the game?

S

Snail Man

It's a personal desicion, but I'd at least include anything shipped with the game file, eg readmes and external files.

D

DocNogloff

Oh I just remembered, I forgot to declare which assets were created before the jam or during the jam. Is that ok? I did put in proper credits for everything used before the jam in the readme, but I just didn't specify specifically.

Edit: for the record:
- All art and programming were made during the jam
- Music was made by Kevin MacLeod on inconpetech.com, not during the jam
- Footstep sfx was made by HaelDB from opengameart, not during the jam
- The rest of the sfx was made in bfxr in the jam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

zircher

Heh, I guess the game information page isn't visible to anyone. Here's what mine says since I did not include a separate read.me file or in-game credits pages:

Nothing But Static

Design ideas:
-----
1. Anti-personnel laser instant fast recharge direct fire x2, set fires reflective, shield
2. Cryogenic dispensor thrown slow recharge direct fire-slow, set cold patch crawler, heater
3. Mass Driver shot slow recharge direct fire x2, obstacle climber, digger
4. Vortex Cannon shot fast recharge direct fire-repulse, AoE knockback heavy, anchor
5. Orbital Weapons strike once per 6 min orbital-strike scatter AoE (careful) no defense

Flyers avoid ground cover, but have no armor. Some have explosive warheads
Chasis types: Crawler, Wheels, Walkers, Flyer

To-Do:
-----
Better damage model
Alt-fire defensive mode
Flying enemiss
Shooting enemies
Boss monster
Laser cool down, reload times for projectile weapons, more weapon special effects

Resources:
-----
All sprites created on the fly with the GMS editor.
All SFX created with BFXR.

Background graphics from Public Domain sources.
https://www.pexels.com/photo/environment-forest-trees-dark-green-7497/
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/15/Haiti_deforestation.jpg (NASA)

Carnivius

Some notes about my game and a couple of it's problems:

Getting into this room can be tricky cos the flyer activates too fast and comes into the previous room sometimes. Here I somehow managed to rush past it and was hiding out in this lil bit before remembering the flyers have motion planning and will find me. That's fine, cos I'll blast it in the face. This room is lacking some bg tiles as it was one of the last rooms added and time was running out.

This room was the very last one added again lacking bg tiles but even worse is that it's almost impossible to survive the room on entry cos of the enemy placement and not being able to shoot down. Time was running out

Now this is the boss of the game and how he's supposed to look.

but here's what happens if you get killed and then have to make your way back to him (yes the game needs proper restart points). His skull has dropped to the ground already which should only happen when he's dead (and his brain and eyes have exploded)

If you somehow manage to get through this buggy game then you find this girl in the room past the boss. Touch her (sorry but it was quick to make it a collsiion code thingy) to complete the game. Yes there was to be a story of sorts (the intro text alludes to this) but again there wasn't enough time. I shall release an updated version of this game with all missing features and a bigger (more competently designed) level in the next couple weeks or so.

Also can anyone confirm to me the game works or doesn't work and your PC specs. My friend tried running it on his Windows 7 PC last night and the game didn't run at all. It was apparently there in the memory according to task manager but nothing happened. It's not really doing anything fancy so I don't know what could be up. Runs fine on my Windows 10 machine here.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Remember, people, that the new ZIP will be uploaded, so if you would like me to rename some credits/info files to README or README_PLEASE, or want to make a README file from some entry information, you have still chance to do that. Generally, I'll be more lenient about these files, especially if it involves forgotten credits rather than game instructions.

Also, since you asked, @HayManMarc...

List of all entries (81 total):
  • A Ghost Adventure by Nexusrex
  • A long time after by poncle
  • Afterstory by David Chen
  • Alone by CoderJoe
  • antideath by Yokcos
  • Ask Death by Detective Pixel
  • Bone Crusher by chance
  • Broken World by Zerb Games
  • Buried At Sea by ZombieLawyer
  • Clone Runners by Cameron
  • Comet See the World 50 Yrs Hence by ConsolCWBY
  • Dance With Death by nvrogers
  • Dead Zone by Carnivius
  • Deadly Desire by GhostlyFeline, Misu
  • DEADZONE by Cat, var
  • Dearelict by Yal
  • Death's Salesman by zn_pete, Daniel Navarro, wilix95
  • Desert Lands by Nallebeorn
  • Devil's Mansion by Joh
  • EiD by Nocturne
  • Everybody is Dead by iTzCallumUK
  • Everyone is Dead by Aviox
  • Everyone Is Dead by dadio
  • Everything's Gone to Hell by TehPilot
  • EvoBio by felixpf
  • Fall Harvest Season by BlessHayGaming
  • Final Shelter by The M
  • Forgive Me For Living by Lonewolff
  • Four Versus the World by NAL
  • Game Engine Test by Misty
  • Ghost Butler by ShadowLancer, Shameless
  • ghost town by porcupinester
  • GMCity Carnage by Snail Man
  • Grave Trigger by Dark
  • Grey Fall by Morne, Bernard, Marius
  • Grim Reaper's Last Job by Ehrgeiz, Mortalo
  • HackMan by AT, SA
  • Half Hearted by DocNogloff
  • Jumpship Cyrus by Brenbruyn, harukiya
  • KATT by KaShuen
  • Last Hope by HayManMarc, zminusone
  • Last Stand by Jett
  • Lonely by johnwo
  • Lonely Drone by GameDevDan
  • Love is Life by rui.rosario
  • Monty goes to town by Spliffium
  • Mortal Metanoia by Mattie, Murzy
  • My Dragon Pal by Zodaris
  • My My My Charona by Electros
  • Noalle's Ark by shadowspear1
  • Nothing But Static by zircher
  • Nothing Ventured by NeoTalon
  • One Last Bite by NightOwl35
  • Phantomatics by Otyugra
  • Pixel Paracide by WRLCK
  • Planet Dreth by Mocgames998
  • Regret by Miner7365
  • Rest in Peace by Blake
  • Revival Of The Undead Princess Satsuka by Aura, Rusty
  • Save the Last Human by Moon Goat
  • Scared to Death by Ixlegraw
  • Silent Road by JackOatley
  • Soulgrab by RekNepZ
  • Spooky Jam by kepons
  • Territory Earth by Wraithious
  • The Aftermath by Tselmek, zminusone
  • The Dark Within by aamatniekss
  • The Equation of Life by Ghandpivot
  • The Last Ghost by Coolbot4k
  • The Last Space Luchador by Siolfor the Jackal, Bandido Burrito
  • The Major Forces by Lizzard
  • The Robot And The Pharaoh by Freddy Jones
  • The Swarm by Fel666
  • The Winchester by clemonades
  • They are all DEAD, Unless... by RustyShadow
  • Time Travel is Hard by guadalcanal
  • Tree of Life by Kiesenverseist
  • Troubles of Post-Mortal Times by Alice, Mercerenies
  • Undead Matador Deluxe by MikeDark_x
  • Welcome To Purgatory by Sirham
  • When They Come 2 by trg601

List of all unique participants (96 total):

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
I think I've finally recovered from the jam overnight.

@Mortalo: Pics? I'mma try and play all the entries but I'm pretty useless with fonts (even Chequered Ink's own haha). NAL is the font dude.

HayManMarc

I shoulda checked back sooner. I made a list, too. (FWIW)
A Ghost Adventure by Nexusrex

A Long Time After by poncle (Sam McGarry & Luca Galante)

AfterStory by David Chen & Leo “Moxxin” Wang & Adam Twite

Alone by CoderJoe

antideath by Yokcos

Ask Death by Detective Pixel

Bone Crusher by chance

Broken World by Zerb Games

Buried At Sea by ZombieLawyer

Clone Runners by Cameron

Come + See The World 50 Yrs Hence... by ConsolCWBY

Dance With Death by nvrogers

Dead Zone by Carnivius

Deadly Desire by GhostlyFeline & Misu

DEADZONE by Cat

Dearelict by Yal

Death's Salesman by zn_pete & Daniel Navarro & wilix95

Desert Lands by Nallebeorn

Devil's Mansion by Joh

EiD by Nocturne

Everybody Is Dead by dadio

Everybody Is Dead by iTzCallumUK

Everyone Is DEAD by Aviox

Everything's Gone To Hell by TehPilot

EvoBio by felixpf

Fall Harvest Season by BlessHayGaming

Final Shelter by The M

Forgive Me For Living by Lonewolff

Four Versus The World by NAL

Ghost Butler by Shadow_Lancer & Shameless

Ghost Town by porcupinester

GMCity Carnage by Snail Man

Grave Trigger by Dark

Grey Fall by Morne

Grim Reaper's Last Job by Mortalo

HackMan by AT & SA

Half-hearted by DocNogloff

Jumpship Cyrus by Brenbruyn & harukiya

KATT by KaShuen

Last Hope by HayManMarc & zminusone sound

Last Stand by Jett

Lonely by johnwo

Lonely Drone by GameDevDan

Love Is Life by rui.rosario

Monty Goes To Town by spliffium

Mortal Metandia by Murzy & Mattie

My Dragon Pal by Zodaris

My My My, Charon-a by Electros

Noalle's Ark by shadowspear1

Nothing But Static by zircher

Nothing Ventured by NeoTalon

One Last Bite by NightOwl35

Phantomatics by Otyugra

Pixel Paracide by WRLCK

Planet Dreth by Mocgames998

Regret by Miner7365

Rest In Peace by Blake

Revival Of The Undead Princess Satsuka by Aura & Rusty

Save The Last Human by Moon Goat

Scared To Death by Ixlegraw

Silent Road by JackOatley

SOULGRAB by RekNepZ

Spooky Jam by Kepons

Territory Earth by Wraithious

The Aftermath by Tselmek & zminusone sound

The Dark Within by aamatniekss

The Equation Of Life by Ghandpivot

The Last Ghost by Coolbot4k

The Last Space Luchador by Siolfor the Jackal & Bandido Burrito

The Major Forces by Lizzard

The Robot And The Pharaoh by Freddy Jones

The Swarm by Fel666

The Winchester by clemonades

They Are All DEAD, Unless.... by RustyShadow

Time Travel Is Hard by guadalcanal

Tree Of Life by Kiesenverseist

Troubles Of Post-Mortal Times by Alice & Mercerenies

Undead Matador Deluxe by MikeDark_x

Unnamed Game by Misty

Welcome To Purgatory by Sirham

When They Come 2 by trg601
:oops:

HayManMarc

I have a review spreadsheet template (made in open office) available, if anyone is interested. (see spoiler for details)

It calculates the point total and average of 9 categories to create a 0-4 star rating.

Categories include:
  • Theme
  • Completeness
  • Gameplay
  • Intuitiveness & Instructions
  • Graphics
  • Sound FX
  • Music
  • Presentation & Interface
  • Personal Bias Likeability

All categories can be rated between 0 and 4. (Category names could be changed to suit your purposes, but if you remove any of them, the calculations will break.) There are also columns for Mini Reviews and the Randomizer Number (old Jam Zip Randomizer).

If you want to use it, HERE is the file download. :)

M

Morne

Oh sucks think the minimal pixel font is from NAL, can't remember I'm still in a blur only sleeping 6hours over the whole weekend.

T

Tselmek

The ZIP takes at least 12 hours to download but my vacation place's wifi provider only allows for 5 hours long connection at a time and disconnecting means the download is cancelled. I might be doomed to download each game separately.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
@Tselmek: you might want to wait with that. The updated ZIP will be here soon-ish, and I'll split it into 100MB parts for people whose download has tendency to interrupt as well. In your case, you'd require ~1.5 hours of uninterrupted connection instead of 12.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Torrent would be good, too, though I don't really know much about torrents. If you can set one up, I'll be grateful. :)

(but it's probably better to wait for the patched ZIP; should be in a few hours tops)

johnwo

Although some is reflected in the devlog, my game doesn't have a credits-screen which reflect what assets where created before the jam.

Here's a complete list:
  • [spr] Player limb sprites. (From spriter interpreter test)
  • [dta] Idle, and walk animation. (From spriter interpreter test)
  • [scr] Spriter interpreter. (From spriter interpreter test)
  • [snd] Main theme. (From abandoned project, 2014)
All other assets was created during the jam.

Cheers!

ghandpivot

I'll go ahead and make a shout out to WaterFlame who made all the music for my game. I've got a standing agreement with him about using his songs, yet it would have been nice to mention him in the game somewhere if I'd have had the time to make a credits section. Well well, it's not like it's going to get more than ~100 plays tops :p

David Chen

So I saw there's an award for best devlog ... Well we don't exactly have one, but I have this massive dialogue dump from our game "AFTERSTORY".
WARNING though, it does contain spoilers. Please play the game first to experience this properly!
[Kappon]
dialogue[0] = "[f:default][c:white][shake]Wahahaha![c] Oh, a human child?";
dialogue[1] = "I haven't seen a human in hundreds of years.";
dialogue[2] = "Nice to meet you, I'm Kappon.";
dialogue[3] = "...";
dialogue[4] = "I may not look it, but I'm actually hundreds of years old.";
dialogue[5] = "[c]Which means I'm very, very wise! [shake]Wahahaha!";
dialogue[6] = "[c]I heard that the rain goes away more quickly when#you're waiting with someone else.";
dialogue[7] = "Another human spirit once told me that ...";
dialogue[8] = "[shake]Wahahaha, [c]care to wait with me, human?#[choice:helpTurtle]Listen[endChoice]#[choice:killTurtle]Kill[endChoice]";

msg[0] = "[f:default][c:white]I used to hate the rain.";
msg[1] = "The loud echoes of the rain pounding on my shell would#terrify me.";
msg[2] = "But my father showed me that if you listen carefully,#the rain is just part of nature's music.";
msg[3] = "This was my father's shroombrella.#He used to bring me out to the rain with him,#just to listen to the raindrops.";
msg[4] = "He told me I should share it with others so they can#enjoy the rain too.";
msg[5] = "And that after rain, comes beautiful sun.";
msg[6] = "[c]Perfect for my old skin! [shake]Wahahahahahaha![c]";
msg[7] = "Sometimes it's nice to just stop and appreciate#what you have and what's around you.";
msg[8] = "Sunny days wouldn't be so good without rainy ones.";
msg[9] = "Don't you think?";
msg[10] = "... Oh. The rain stopped.";
msg[11] = "Thank you for waiting with me, human.#I guess the rain really does go away faster when you wait#with someone.";
msg[12] = "[shake]Wahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha![c]"

[Mera]
dialogue[0] = "[c:white][f:default][wave]*Puuurrrrrrrrrr*";
dialogue[1] = "[c]Oh, hello there.";
dialogue[2] = "You're so tiny, I could hardly see you.[p:30]#Oh? A human spirit!";
dialogue[3] = "Well nice to meet you, I'm Mera.";
dialogue[4] = "Those eyes ... [p:30]there's a longing in them.";
dialogue[5] = "A longing to go somewhere...";
dialogue[6] = "I guess that makes two of us.";
dialogue[7] = "No one here wanted to be here,#but we've learn to live together.";
dialogue[8] = "All of us here have someone we miss dearly.";
dialogue[9] = "Someone we would do anything for.";
dialogue[10] = "Ah, what am I saying.";
dialogue[11] = "I've rambled on for too long.";
dialogue[12] = "I heard human spirits are very strong.";
dialogue[13] = "If that is so, I would like to ask a favour of you.";
dialogue[14] = "That brooch over there ... it belonged to ...";
dialogue[15] = "... him.";
dialogue[16] = "But the other day, a magpie spirit flew in here and#took it away.";
dialogue[17] = "And the ground around it is far too rugged for my#delicate paws.";
dialogue[18] = "I don't mean to be a burden but ...";
dialogue[19] = "Would you be able to get it for me?#[choice:helpCatBoss]Sure[endChoice]#[choice:killCatBoss]Kill[endChoice]";

[Totoro Spirit]
dialogue[0] = "[c:white][f:default][bounce]Ufufufu. [c]We don't have much here, but we're happy.";
dialogue[1] = "You should be happy with me too.";
dialogue[2] = "[bounce]Ufufufu.#[choice:none]Leave[endChoice]#[choice:KillTotoro]Kill[endChoice]";

[Sad Banana Spirit]
dialogue[0] = "[c:white][f:default]I'm a sad banana.";
dialogue[1] = "A very sad banana.#[choice:none]Leave[endChoice]#[choice:KillSadBanana]Kill[endChoice]";
dialogue[2] = "Ever since he left ...";
dialogue[3] = "I've been a very sad banana.";

[Dog Spirit]
dialogue[0] = "[c:white][f:default]Woof woof. I'm a dog.";
dialogue[1] = "[c]Are you a dog?#[choice:yesdog]Yes[endChoice]#[choice:nodog]No[endChoice]";

[Deer Spirit]
dialogue[0] = "[c:white][f:default]A human spirit?#[p:45]We haven't had a human spirit since Alexander.";
dialogue[1] = "Huh? [p:45]Who's Alexander?";
dialogue[2] = "Once upon a time he was like an elder to us.#He gave us guidance and brought life and energy to this#gloomy place.";
dialogue[3] = "But then one day he just disappeared.";
dialogue[4] = "We haven't seen him since.#[choice:none]Leave[endChoice]#[choice:KillDeer]Kill[endChoice]";

[Snail Spirit]
dialogue[0] = "[c][s:slow][c:white][f:default]I heard that if you're filled with [c:yellow]SPIRIT[c:white], you'll be able to#pass through the barrier to the North.";
dialogue[1] = "No one's ever been able to pass through it though.";
dialogue[2] = "I wonder what's on the other side...#[choice:none]Leave[endChoice]#[choice:KillSnail]Kill[endChoice]";

[Curious the Cat]
dialogue[0] = "[c:white][f:default]Hi! [p:30]I'm Curious. Curious the cat. *meow*";
dialogue[1] = "You look strangely familiar ...";
dialogue[2] = "Asylum ... [p:30]Jam ...[p:30] ... [p:30]2015? [p:30]Flower ... ripoff ...";
dialogue[3] = "Huh, what does that mean?#[choice:none]Leave[endChoice]#[choice:KillCat]Kill[endChoice]";

[Butterfly Spirit]
dialogue[0] = "[c][c:white][f:default][wave]Flowers![c]#[bounce]Flowers![c]#[shake]Flowers![c]";
dialogue[1] = "[wave]Flowers everywhere![c]";
dialogue[2] = "[bounce]FLOWER POWER!!![c]";
dialogue[2] = "[wave]Even the simplest things can make you smile.";
dialogue[3] = "For me, they're flowers! What about you?";
dialogue[4] = "[c][c:white](You)#[choice:spareButterfly]...[endchoice]#[choice:KillButterfly]Kill[endChoice]";

[Diary 1]
dialogue[0] = "[c:white][f:default]<Alexander's Diary>";
dialogue[1] = "I appear to have arrived in the after life.#I seem to be the only human here so far.";
dialogue[2] = "Everyone else here ... they're all monsters.#They can't hurt me right?#This is the after life after all.";
dialogue[3] = "[c]Keep reading?#[choice:read1]Continue[endChoice]#[choice:stop]Stop[endChoice]";

msg[0] = "Despite their physical appearances, these creatures seem#to be friendly.";
msg[1] = "There was a giant turtle guy called Kappad who#had a really funny laugh and a really curious cat.";
msg[2] = "I even talked to a banana today.";
msg[3] = "This place is so strange.";
msg[4] = "Either way, they seem harmless for now.";
msg[5] = "[c]Keep reading?#[choice:read2]Continue[endChoice]#[choice:stop]Stop[endChoice]";

msg[0] = "Today, one of the spirits told me about a barrier#to the North.";
msg[1] = "Apparently, no one's been able to cross it.";
msg[2] = "I watched as some spirits tried to pass through it.#They just evaporated into nothing when they tried.";
msg[3] = "It seems unsafe so I should probably avoid it for now.";

[Diary 2]
dialogue[0] = "[c:white][f:default](It seems to be a torn out page of a diary)";
dialogue[1] = "I did it. I figured out how to leave.";
dialogue[2] = "[c:white]The barrier to the North seems to only prevent those#who have weak [c:yellow]SPIRITS[c:white] from leaving.";
dialogue[3] = "Which means all I have to do is become a powerful spirit.";
dialogue[4] = "It seems human spirits like me have far stronger spirits#than creatures.";
dialogue[5] = "[c:white]I was able to siphon the [c:yellow]SPIRIT[c:white] out of one today.";
dialogue[6] = "I wonder if it harms them though ...#It disappeared afterwards.";
dialogue[7] = "Surely not ... this is the after life after all.";
dialogue[8] = "[c]Keep reading?#[choice:d1]Continue[endChoice]#[choice:stop]Stop[endChoice]";

msg[0] = "I am now almost powerful enough to#pass through the barrier.";
msg[1] = "My family ... I'll be able to see them soon";
msg[2] = "I was able to become so strong because of them ...";
msg[3] = "Surely they'd be happy for me right?";
msg[4] = "I just can't get this horrible feeling out of me.";
msg[5] = "I didn't really hurt anyone ...";
msg[6] = "... did I?";
msg[7] = "Surely they would have done the same to me if they could.";
msg[8] = "But why?";
msg[9] = "Why did they all seem so contented being here?";
msg[10] = "Have they just accepted that they'll be here forever?";
msg[11] = "What about their families? Don't they want to go back?";
msg[12] = "Maybe it was for the best.";
msg[13] = "It's so quiet now ...";
msg[14] = "Why do I feel so lonely?";
msg[15] = "Sure they were my friends once upon a time but ...";
msg[16] = "I can't stay here forever.";
msg[17] = "No, there's no turning back now.#Tomorrow, I'll finally be able to leave.";
msg[18] = "[c]Keep reading?#[choice:d2]Continue[endChoice]#[choice:stop]Stop[endChoice]";

msg[0] = "It's time.";
msg[1] = "[c:white]I've finally siphoned the [c:yellow]SPIRIT[c:white]of every creature here.";
msg[2] = "I can feel the [c:yellow]SPIRIT[c:white]rushing through me.";
msg[3] = "I can finally go back.";
msg[4] = "I can ...";
msg[5] = "I ...";
msg[6] = "What have I done?";
msg[7] = "I used them ...";
msg[8] = "...";
msg[9] = "This whole time ... I was only thinking of myself.";
msg[10] = "I was so caught up with finding a way out.";
msg[11] = "I forgot about all the bonds I made with everyone here.";
msg[12] = "Kappad, Meera, Oryia ... everyone ...";
msg[13] = "I'm so sorry.";
msg[14] = "I was so selfish.";
msg[15] = "My time in the world of the living ended when I arrived here.";
msg[16] = "I can't take back what I've done."
msg[17] = "But I can make sure it never happens again.";
msg[18] = "...";
msg[19] = "Soon, new spirits will be arriving here.";
msg[20] = "But I can't face them ...";
msg[21] = "Knowing what I've done ...";
msg[22] = "This will be my last diary entry.";
msg[23] = "I've decided I will devote the rest of my after life to#guarding the barrier.";
msg[24] = "If somehow anyone finds this ...";
msg[25] = "If somehow a human finds this ...";
msg[26] = "Please, show some restraint.";
msg[27] = "- Alexander";

[Diary 3]
dialogue[0] = "[c:white][f:default](It seems to be a torn out page of a diary)";
dialogue[1] = "There seem to be some special spirits here.";
dialogue[2] = "I met a large turtle spirit called Kappad.";
dialogue[3] = "He told me he was over 1000 years old.";
dialogue[4] = "There was something different about him though.";
dialogue[5] = "While most spirits are merely a faint silhouette,#Kappad had retained his full physical appearance.";
dialogue[6] = "Just like me.";
dialogue[7] = "Maybe he was a strong spirit too...";

msg[0] = "I am now almost powerful enough to#pass through the barrier.";
msg[1] = "My family ... I'll be able to see them soon";
msg[2] = "I was able to become so strong because of them ...";
msg[3] = "Surely they'd be happy for me right?";
msg[4] = "I just can't get this horrible feeling out of me.";
msg[5] = "I didn't really hurt anyone ...";
msg[6] = "... did I?";
msg[7] = "Surely they would have done the same to me if they could.";
msg[8] = "But why?";
msg[9] = "Why did they all seem so contented being here?";
msg[10] = "Have they just accepted that they'll be here forever?";
msg[11] = "What about their families? Don't they want to go back?";
msg[12] = "Maybe it was for the best.";
msg[13] = "It's so quiet now ...";
msg[14] = "Why do I feel so lonely?";
msg[15] = "Sure they were my friends once upon a time but ...";
msg[16] = "I can't stay here forever.";
msg[17] = "No, there's no turning back now.#Tomorrow, I'll finally be able to leave.";
msg[18] = "[c]Keep reading?#[choice:d2]Continue[endChoice]#[choice:stop]Stop[endChoice]";

msg[0] = "It's time.";
msg[1] = "[c:white]I've finally siphoned the [c:yellow]SPIRIT[c:white]of every creature here.";
msg[2] = "I can feel the [c:yellow]SPIRIT[c:white]rushing through me.";
msg[3] = "I can finally go back.";
msg[4] = "I can ...";
msg[5] = "I ...";
msg[6] = "What have I done?";
msg[7] = "I used them ...";
msg[8] = "...";
msg[9] = "This whole time ... I was only thinking of myself.";
msg[10] = "I was so caught up with finding a way out.";
msg[11] = "I forgot about all the bonds I made with everyone here.";
msg[12] = "Kappad, Meera, Oryia ... everyone ...";
msg[13] = "I'm so sorry.";
msg[14] = "I was so selfish.";
msg[15] = "My time in the world of the living ended when I arrived here.";
msg[16] = "I can't take back what I've done."
msg[17] = "But I can make sure it never happens again.";
msg[18] = "...";
msg[19] = "Soon, new spirits will be arriving here.";
msg[20] = "But I can't face them ...";
msg[21] = "Knowing what I've done ...";
msg[22] = "This will be my last diary entry.";
msg[23] = "I've decided I will devote the rest of my after life to#guarding the barrier.";
msg[24] = "If somehow anyone finds this ...";
msg[25] = "If somehow a human finds this ...";
msg[26] = "Please, show some restraint.";
msg[27] = "- Alexander";

[JUDGMENT - GENOCIDE]
msg[0] = "[c:white][f:default]So you've finally come.";
msg[1] = "It's so silent here.";
msg[2] = "I used to hear all the hearts of the spirits beating as one.";
msg[3] = "Now they're all gone.";
msg[4] = "That disgusting grin on your face... [p:60]I see.";
msg[5] = "I really thought you could do better.";
msg[6] = "I hoped you could do better.";
msg[7] = "I'm truly disappointed.";
msg[8] = "...";
msg[9] = "I used to hear the heart of another human spirit here.";
msg[10] = "Now, I sense none.";
msg[11] = "No, [p:30]perhaps there was never another human spirit here.";
msg[12] = "...";
msg[13] = "Well of course you wouldn't remember me.";
msg[14] = "[c:white]To you, we're all just [c:yellow]SPIRIT[c:white] for you to harvest.";
msg[15] = "And now, [p:15]you've come for me.";
msg[16] = "What would be the point of telling you my real name now?";
msg[17] = "...";
msg[18] = "You ...[p:45] whatever you are ... [p:30]#I see you now have more than enough power to pass through#this barrier.";
msg[19] = "I guess you already know where it leads.";
msg[20] = "Haha, it doesn't really matter at this point does it?";
msg[21] = "Either way, I can't let you take another step.";
msg[22] = "There are people there I can't let you near.";
msg[23] = "[s:slow]If you come any closer ...";
msg[24] = "[s:vslow][shake][c:red]I'll kill you where you stand.";

[JUDGMENT - PACIFIST]
msg[0] = "Greetings.";
msg[1] = "My ... you've changed a lot since we last met.";
msg[2] = "...";
msg[3] = "Oh, you don't recognise me?";
msg[4] = "We met when you first arrived here. It's me Jeremy.";
msg[5] = "No, rather ...";
msg[6] = "This is my true form. An aged man.#My real name is Alexander.";
msg[7] = "I have been here for longer than I can remember.";
msg[8] = "It seems much has happened since you first arrived.";
msg[9] = "[c:white]Your [c:yellow]SPIRIT[c:white] seems even weaker than before.";
msg[10] = "But it seems our community has started to become a little#more vibrant.";
msg[11] = "I've been watching you this whole time.";
msg[12] = "You see, you're the first human spirit to have#arrived after me.";
msg[13] = "I was once powerful enough to leave here.";
msg[14] = "But I chose to stay.";
msg[15] = "I was only able to become that powerful because#I betrayed my friends and took advantage of them.";
msg[16] = "You and I ... we both have the power to siphon the#[c:yellow]SPIRIT[c:white] of weaker creature spirits to strengthen our own.";
msg[17] = "There is something special about human spirits.";
msg[18] = "Our will.#Our perserverance.#Our determination."
msg[19] = "My strong desire to go back made it easy for me#to overpower the spirits I had befriended.";
msg[20] = "[c:white]One by one, I siphoned the [c:yellow]SPIRIT[c:white]from all the creature spirits.";
msg[21] = "Before long, I had finally obtained enough power# to pass through this barrier behind me.";
msg[22] = "I'm sure you know where it leads by now.";
msg[23] = "But the feeling of guilt...";
msg[24] = "The disgusting selfishness I displayed...";
msg[25] = "I didn't deserve to go back.";
msg[26] = "I couldn't possibly face my family after knowing#what I had done here.";
msg[27] = "I thought because they were mere creatures that it#would be okay to use them.";
msg[28] = "But I knew each one of them had their own hopes and dreams.";
msg[29] = "That even though they seemed so happy ...";
msg[30] = "They too had families and loved ones they wanted#to see again.";
msg[31] = "So I decided to stay to protect the barrier#from future human spirits who might share the dangerous#feelings I once harboured.";
msg[32] = "To protect the new spirits and to foster a brighter community.";
msg[33] = "But it seems I have nothing to worry about.";
msg[34] = "Even with the power you have,#you showed restraint.";
msg[35] = "Even when you yearned to return,#you showed patience.";
msg[36] = "And when the spirits needed you most,#you showed selflessness.";
msg[37] = "While I cannot return the spirits I absorbed,#I can use my power to break this barrier.";
msg[38] = "But me? No, I've lived long enough.#In life and in after life.";
msg[39] = "Even now, you still wish to leave don't you?";
msg[40] = "I understand.";
msg[41] = "If you still wish to leave, I will grant your wish.#[choice:end]Leave[endChoice]";

All up around 2,000+ words of pure dialogue. I'm pooped!
Anyway, a new post-jam version of the game with some significant story, dialogue and quest changes is up now on Gamejolt so play it here: http://gamejolt.com/games/afterstory/171653
Will be updating it a bit more in the future too.

Last edited:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
I'm going to start uploading the patch as well as post-patch ZIP any minute now. If you people want me to add/change something, please send me a message as soon as possible!

Torrent would be good, too, though I don't really know much about torrents. If you can set one up, I'll be grateful. :)

(but it's probably better to wait for the patched ZIP; should be in a few hours tops)
I can probably set one up, but I wouldn't be able to seed it much(and my upload speed is awful).

Carnivius

So I saw there's an award for best devlog ... Well we don't exactly have one, but I have this massive dialogue dump from our game "AFTERSTORY".
WARNING though, it does contain spoilers. Please play the game first to experience this properly!
So...many...words...

Damn. I struggled trying to just do a lil bit for my intro, game over and game complete. Would take me way more than 72 hours to come up with that much dialogue (and what I did write is pretty poor). I'm not a big story in games person anyways but much respect to you for fitting so much in a short time. Nice graphics too. :)

David Chen

Damn. I struggled trying to just do a lil bit for my intro, game over and game complete. Would take me way more than 72 hours to come up with that much dialogue (and what I did write is pretty poor). I'm not a big story in games person anyways but much respect to you for fitting so much in a short time. Nice graphics too. :)
Well to be fair about 30% of that was done today, post-jam hahaha. Though it was already partly fleshed out in a google doc... I was working in a team though, so I was able to focus on story/dialogue and graphics and not worry about much else :D
And thanks so much!

trg601

Okay, so this morning the zip file had finally downloaded, I was anxious to finally play the games... but to my surprise,

It might be because my computer crashed, but nobody knows...
Do you guys think I should wait for the new zip?

EDIT: I downloaded the mirror from MEGA, and it is already downloaded and extracted in under 15 minutes...

Last edited:
W

Wraithious

I just noticed in my readme instructions i said to avoid enemys, but it should of said chase down enemys! Because your teeth are your only weapon! The rest of the info is all correct tho

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Aaaaand patched ZIP coming right up~!

Just download the file available on Mega here.

Then follow the instructions available here, as well as in the Jam ZIP (PATCH_HOWTO):
NOTE: It is assumed that game files have been left exactly as they were unpacked from the original Jam ZIP. If you made some changes, especially in Entries directory (using randomiser counts), you proceed at your own risk.
(oh, who am I kidding? You proceed at your own risk, anyway!)

0. MAKE A BACKUP of your current setup, entries, Jam player, jamdata.json, randomiser... everything. Never gonna have too many backups.

1. Extract the patch ZIP to the same directory where Jam player, randomiser and entries are. When asked about merging directories, always merge. When asked about replacing files, always replace.

2. After properly following step 1, the Jam Player should have been overwritten and have a nice Jam icon. Also, a jamdata patch JSON file should be in the same folder. If it's correct, run the Jam Player and, when asked, choose to apply the patch.

3. When applying a patch, there might appear messages asking whether an updated Jam entry should be added back to a queue; in particular, if you have played a few entries already and one of them has been changed. It's up to you to send them back to queue, but it's recommended you do (especially the missing entries).

4. After the patch is applied, it should be removed and the Jam state should be properly updated.

5. Enjoy the patched games pack~!

I tried to make the patching process as seamless as possible. Hope I managed to do that. ^^'

--- EDIT ---

The patched ZIP is available here. It's nearly 800 MB of Jammy goodness, with the patch already integrated.

If you downloaded or are downloading the old ZIP, please download only the patch

You'll save yourself downloading ~750 MB of Jam games again, and if you already started playing and commenting on entries using the Jam player, the data will be kept. The program will even notice if you had already played one or more updated entries, and ask whether to add them back to the queue.

If you haven't started downloading the ZIP yet, please download the patched ZIP

It already has everything setup and ready to go, and you'll save yourself the inconvenience of patching the old ZIP.

Last edited:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
I made it in .NET Framework. It's a WPF application created with C# (programming) and XAML (UI layouting). Took me about 2 days to bring it to the proper state.

Really glad you liked the player. I thought with the new Jam line it'd be a good moment to get something different than the same old randomiser, and with that many entries, I think it'll be useful to have the playing and reviewing process as smooth as possible. ^^'

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
My entry is now on itch with a few changes, you can download it here.

Fixes since the jam version:
  • Audio added: BGM and Sound Effects now included.
  • Menu updated: Jam link replaced with audio setting, icons updated.
  • Credits updated: To reflect added audio.
  • Minor bug fixes: Flashlight bug fixed, among other small fixes.
Obviously don't factor the new stuff into your jam reviews.

jazzzar

Too bad i cannot play all the games and vote, i'm on a limited plan and 100KB/s speed, so 700MB+ is too much, good luck for all of you guys ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.