GMC Jam Discussion The Post-Apocalyptic GMC Jam #1 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zodaris

"Everyone is Dead" could be interpreted many ways. One way could be the player discovers a destroyed city and tried to figure out how the population there met their end via puzzle like gameplay piecing together clues and evidence. Kinda like Halo ODST with finding recordings from different things around the city.

That said, I can easily see how it could become a zombie fest. I wish I could have something to give as a reward to all entries that aren't a zombie/undead game is that theme is picked. But alas, I do not.

A

Abdullah Alsayed

All of the themes look fine.. Everyone is dead looks funny somehow, however it first comes to my mind as kinda game of zombies or something like that. Transition and Replay looks promising.

Let's wait for the final theme anyway.. Good luck all :D

N

Nexusrex

Oooooh yeees~!
Still hyped!
Already got a packet of latte and a mint-and-lemon soda. XD
#HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE

S

Snail Man

So, with the themes, it is a matter of selecting which theme you want? Or do you need to cram all three in to the game?

Sorry if this has allready been asked, I just don't feel like sifting back through ten pages of posts. :D
The themes are voted on by PMing Alice, then the most popular one is the only one you need to include

M

Miner7365

Meh, i'm not that big of a fan of replay... there really isn't that much you can do with it when you think about it.... other then building on a level over and over again or something

Z

zircher

Sigh, really people? All of these topics are uber flexible. Off of the top of my head...

Everyone is dead (no zombie hoards)
1. You live in a ghost town and have adventures.
2. Last person on Earth/colony/space ship
3. Graveyard sim/management game.
4. You wake up on a plane after dreaming of a terrible crash. Then the first part of your dream comes true in front of you.
5. Grim Fandango clone

Transition
1. You're on a farm going through the seasons.
2. Your super-dimensional fighter can shift to different planes of reality (fighter can be a person or a space fighter.)
3. You have to transition from one element to the next to solve chemical/molecule building puzzles.
4. You're transitioning from a civilian to a soldier.
5. You're evolving and transitioning to new forms and environments (ala Spore.)

Replay
1. 80's arcade management/sim.
2. You are a video game character that can break the fourth wall and/or do time manipulation.
3. Your special power is to replay your actions over and over again for a limited time; turbo shoot, turbo punch, turbo jump.
4. You are a video editor/ sound mixer.
5. You can copy any skill (animation sequence) you see and use that to solve puzzles.

[Oh yeah, anyone is free to use, lose, or abuse these ideas. I actually have a different set in mind for what I'd like to do.] :)

Last edited by a moderator:

TehPilot

Does GMC Jam is soon?

GMC Jam is soon is the most discussed in the GMC in the few weeks ago. Even it has happened in old forums, but some of the public still curious about what is exactly happening and to be the reason there is a news goes around about the happening. At this time it becomes the massive community hype train. The forum, especially the newcomers are excited. The GMC just came out with its new forum which is spread massively. This time not about the new forum, but the GMC Jam. This event is out of standardize of previous jams, according the last reported this event happened quarterly without interruption. If you still participate or not, this event is really much talked by people even in a thread of its participants.

I've got ideas for all of the themes.

Bring on the Jam!

ghandpivot

Transition feels cool, I like working with music and special effects and there are definitely some challenging quirks and twists to be made on that theme.

M

Miner7365

The final few hours before the jam are apon us people, it's time :)

Themes in jams are all about being creativity constraints, and I think all three themes do a fine job at that :) Plenty of wiggle-room if you ask me, but I see a lot of people planning their games before the themes were even released, and that will of course limit what you can do within themes. Best thing to do in jams is come empty-headed, and develop the ideas when you have the themes ^^

D

Dark

Hmmmm... Should I stay up until 5 AM just to be there right when it starts?

HayManMarc

I am absolutely amazed this hasn't been brought up yet. It's practically a Jam tradition! :)

EDIT: Ignore me and my imminent ignorance.
I must iterate that I'm only responsible for the lyric and voice. @Snail Man deserves most the credit as he composed the music to begin with.

Oh yeah -- and to adhere to jam tradition, here is the Jammin' compilation video of the first 8 jam winners...

Last edited:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Less than 5 hours left!

Also, the prizes pool has been updated. Since this Jam is very special, I decided to throw in my legendary GameMaker bundles for three prime places~!

Things are getting more and more exciting... :3

(also, fun fact: there is a tie in theme voting)

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I'm really not a fan of Everyone is Dead. Sure, it may sound like a fun theme to work with, but I feel that it's to specific to certain genres and almost requires a storyline I really hate doing stories in my games. I usually just try to squeeze them in at the end if I have time. The other choices have plenty of ways you could incorporate them into the gameplay itself, but EID only really gives two easy possibilities (that I can think of, at least).
-Generic zombie/other undead shoot-em-up.
-Adventure game where all the characters are Monster-High style "dead" creatures.
You could also have a game where you play as an inanimate object drifting through a dilapidated, abandoned place while the player tries to puzzle together what's happened to everyone (and given the theme, HOW they died). Could work as a racing game, a physics puzzler, a normal platformer with robots or zombies and stuff, a metroidvania, a first-person game (not to mention first-person games where you play as something not human offers up interesting possibilities)...

Can't have that. Just submitted my vote 50% chance it will be a tie breaker anyway :p
67%. :p Two themes are tied, one is not, giving your vote a 2/3 chance to break the tie.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
And now, the games topic is up, too!

I recommend checking the rules and guidelines there, as there are a few changes compared to previous Jams, too (mostly suggested devlog format and entry file structure; not obligatory, but generally making things easier).

Nallebeorn

And now, the games topic is up, too!

I recommend checking the rules and guidelines there, as there are a few changes compared to previous Jams, too (mostly suggested devlog format and entry file structure; not obligatory, but generally making things easier).
Oh, nice. So, installers are fine, right? :p

David Chen

Hey, so is "post-apocalyptic" the overarching theme that we have to use or is it only going to one theme from the three?

A

Aura

Hey, so is "post-apocalyptic" the overarching theme that we have to use or is it only going to one theme from the three?
Post-apocalyptic is more of the topic theme; not the Jam theme. One of the three themes which gets the most votes would be announced as the Jam theme when the Jam starts. (You can vote for your favourite theme by PMing @Alice before it's too late...)

Nallebeorn

No, post-apocalyptic isn't an official theme as such. There's no need to incorporate it into your game, it's just here for memes really :) And also because there's a jam tradition that each jam has its own adjective, although it's usually something slightly more positive like "magnificent", "fabulous" or "potatotastic".

N

Nexusrex

I'm reaaaaaady~!
Got some extra items to use while jammin'. Graph paper (It's so useful. At least for me..And Mario's devs at the time of the NES..xD) and my big sketchbook.
Yet another lil' question..The devlog is going to be in the games topic? Just over-hyped.

A

Aura

Yet another lil' question..The devlog is going to be in the games topic? Just over-hyped.
Yes. But don't create multiples posts for that purpose. Create one for your Jam entry and keep editing it to add your development log. (You might want to check out older games topics to see how others do it.) ^^

Nallebeorn

I'm reaaaaaady~!
Got some extra items to use while jammin'. Graph paper (It's so useful. At least for me..And Mario's devs at the time of the NES..xD) and my big sketchbook.
Yep, devlog in games topic post. Feel free to post updates here, too, though, if you have time.
And yes... I should probably get some pen and pencil over here to my computer, too. Will be useful, most likely.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Oh, nice. So, installers are fine, right? :p
Nope, installers are not allowed, as you can see in the "What?" section of the rules. However, double-checking that your game is not an installer is not mandatory. It's just that if it turns out to be, you risk disqualification. ^^

Nallebeorn

Nope, installers are not allowed, as you can see in the "What?" section of the rules. However, double-checking that your game is not an installer is not mandatory. It's just that if it turns out to be, you risk disqualification. ^^
Yes, I did see it in the What? section, actually (and in a number of other places...). It was a joke :p

A

Aura

Nope, installers are not allowed
That encourages me to use installers even more. ^^"

(Either way, I guess they were kidding because you have used "no installers" way too much in the guidelines, so...)

Jett

Digital Artist
What? I was looking at the same clock when I clicked post. I guess it's not exactly presice for everyone? idk

ghandpivot

I voted for one theme, changed my mind and voted for another. Now I want to change my mind again and vote for the third but I dare not :D
First weekend free from work in a month, got lots of food and no plans. The stars aligned and they spelled out "Jam".

G

GVmG

"All preparations are ready, start the engines!"

*loud energy charge noise*

Status
Not open for further replies.