GMC Jam Discussion The Post-Apocalyptic GMC Jam #1 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LegendarySavior

I know this is stupid to ask but does the entry should be a game created by game maker or we can use any game engine. I think you should specify this in the rules too. Because it can be a loophole.

G

GhostlyFeline

I know this is stupid to ask but does the entry should be a game created by game maker or we can use any game engine. I think you should specify this in the rules too. Because it can be a loophole.
Considering that this is the GameMaker Community, I think that it's implied that jammers should be using GameMaker for their projects.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I don't think that somebody is going to make their game deliberately bad simply for the sake of winning an asset.
Good point. Not to mention the amount of ridicule and shame heaped on anyone who would deliberately do this.

I mean, the prize shouldn't go to someone who pretends to suck. But rather to someone whose game making skills truly suck.

And plenty of us fit that category. ;)

A golden-era Yoyogames mug is in the prize pool now?
Yeah, but it's the one @dadio has been drinking from for a year or so.

L

LegendarySavior

Considering that this is the GameMaker Community, I think that it's implied that jammers should be using GameMaker for their projects.
But can they use other game engines not that I know any other but still it can be cheating then. "They" must be disqualified.

HayManMarc

But can they use other game engines not that I know any other but still it can be cheating then. "They" must be disqualified.
No, I believe not. This is a GameMaker Jam, using GameMaker for the main source. However, other resources can be used for graphics, sounds, DLL's, etc.

L

LegendarySavior

No, I believe not. This is a GameMaker Jam, using GameMaker for the main source. However, other resources can be used for graphics, sounds, DLL's, etc.
Still you not see the point. What if I learn Unity and post a game created by unity. There is no such instruction that game MUST be GM Game.

M

Misu

Still you not see the point. What if I learn Unity and post a game created by unity. There is no such instruction that game MUST be GM Game.
But this IS the Game Maker Community... here we use Game Maker and discuss Game Maker related stuff so submitting something made not with Game Maker seems wrong. At least thats my personal opinion.

L

LegendarySavior

Lets try it this time then. I will make 2 games of which 1 will be game maker and the other on blender.

Mod edit: duplicate posts merged.
Mod edit: duplicate posts merged.

Last edited by a moderator:

The M

I was thinking of using another engine back when we had the 'facade' theme as that'd have been somewhat appropriate. :rolleyes: I see no reason why someone would use anything else though, rule or no rule, as it's kind of the point of the jam to make Game Maker games.

@LegendarySavior While it could be an interesting experiment I'd stick to one game if I were you; it'd give you more time to polish and finish the game than if you'd split the work on two projects (72 hours isn't that much time after all).

Reactions: Yal

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Lets try it this time then. I will make 2 games of which 1 will be game maker and the other on blender.
There was no need for you to make two posts about it :p

Also, I'd strongly recommend AGAINST trying to use the whole 72 hours.... Tsuka and me worked more or less constantly during our waking hours when we made Your Fault, and we ended up more or less completely burned out for several days after the jam ended. (and a glitch STILL slipped through because we only debug-tested one level at a time, but the ending would be messed up if you played through the whole game; anyone that died wouldn't register as dead at the start of the cutscene)

Last edited:
A

Aura

Like you instruct children to see with their eyes? *whistling*

Gags aside, I see your point. But since this is the GameMaker Community Jam, it's pretty much self-explanatory that you have to use GameMaker.

Either way, GameMaker games can be easily differentiated from the games made in other engines... so if a game is found to be made in another engine, @Alice would disqualify it in the first place. If it is found suspicious of having been made in another engine, we (she) could simply ask for the source code. But why would someone do that in the first place? ^^

A

Aura

Can I offer a small prize? 10th place can request a piece of music from me, any style, up to 3 min. It'll be up to them to PM me for it.
Community prizes are to be offered by PMing Alice, for they get difficult to keep track of in the discussion topic. Not a big deal though. ^^

G

GVmG

Yay another jam! Hopefully I don't get lazy and forget to submit anything this time.

Also I'm finally done with school, so that won't be an obstacle.

12 days boys!

A

Aura

For those interested:

Spent some hours counting how many times people have voted for and reviewed their favourite Jam games and here's what I found out...

• A total of 661 people have voted for and/or reviewed their favourite Jam games.
  • 294 unique people have voted for and/or reviewed for their favourite Jam games.
  • The number of people who have voted only once is 183.
  • @Nocturne is the only GMC Jam host who has never voted for a game.

Top 10:

1. @RekNepZ (16 times)
  2. @chance (15 times)
  3. @HayManMarc & @TerraFriedSheep (14 times each)
  4. @GameDevDan & @Yal (13 times each)
  5. @TheUltimate (12 times)
  6. @Nallebeorn & @Detective Pixel (11 times)
  7. @Alice (10 times)
  8. @Mercerenies & @Mr Magnus & @The M (9 times each)
  9. @dadio (8.5[!] times)
  10. @trg601 (8 times)

Complete data in the form of a spreadsheet (in no particular order) can be found here. Multiple voting entries that did not follow the rules and were securing a post only were disqualified. If you think that I've committed a mistake (that I'm 90% sure of) then please let me know. Particularly concerning the Jams of early Nocturne era.

Nallebeorn

Oh, even more useless GMC Jam statistics! :D Nice job, Aura. Are there really only 11 people who have voted in more than one jam? That's... pretty few.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
I found an inconsistency in the presentation, btw.
...or is there some sort of tiebreaker that tells Blake is definitely ahead of Lune but can't break the 11clock/Greenblizzard tie?
I just didn't notice they were the same score. In the spreadsheet no ties are listed at all :p

For those interested:

Spent some hours counting how many times people have voted for and reviewed their favourite Jam games and here's what I found out...

SWEET, 3rd in entries league table, 4th in reviews. \o/

S

Snail Man

I'd probably be up there too if all my pre-2015 posts hadn't been erased in a glitch.
If you want to remedy that though, I recall that during the erased period, I voted in every jam 4-17 and reviewed in every one 5-17.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Oh, so 111 voters posted for at least 2 Jams? I like that number for some reason...

Pretty great stats anyway, @Aura. Could you please count how many games each voter commented/ranked, whichever number is higher? I'm not asking you to do that just because it would likely increase my score considerable, not at all. *whistling*
(for Snail Man, I guess it would be safe to assume he commented/ranked all entries in the Jam, at least that's what I recall)

By the way, the first post was updated. No particularly great changes; some team request, community prizes, a random "in GameMaker" occurrence, a bunch of underscores...
Also, I'd really appreciate if you people stick to conversations/private messages when speaking about community prizes and team requests. When I get absorbed in a plot involving robots, gardeners and DOGGY! and need to make a post update afterwards, I'd rather have it all neatly gathered at the top of my inbox rather than smeared across all communication channels. >.<

L

LegendarySavior

Like you instruct children to see with their eyes? *whistling*

Gags aside, I see your point. But since this is the GameMaker Community Jam, it's pretty much self-explanatory that you have to use GameMaker.

Either way, GameMaker games can be easily differentiated from the games made in other engines... so if a game is found to be made in another engine, @Alice would disqualify it in the first place. If it is found suspicious of having been made in another engine, we (she) could simply ask for the source code. But why would someone do that in the first place? ^^
I respect the Game Maker Community Jam. Also I think @Alice has updated the rules or I did not see this one earlier :
  • the entry must be an original creation made in GameMaker specifically for the Jam, within the Jam timeframe
And not doing so will be a violation of rules and thus disqualification.

hippyman

That apart, as for avoiding spam entries, @Alice might want to disqualify executables that have no gameplay value and such... but that's very unlikely to happen.
I certainly hope Alice doesn't decide to censor entries based on whether somebody takes the jam seriously or not. For crying out loud, it's just an online forum game jam. It's for fun, not for prizes. If somebody wants to make a pointless game then so be it. When I play games while voting, if the game isn't good I just won't play it that long and I'm sure I'm not the only one that would do this. That shouldn't automatically disqualify the game.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
@hippyman: ah, right, just so you know, I'm not going to censor Jam entries over "seriousness" or anything, and I don't know where @Aura got that idea from. As far as I know, there is no precedent of entry being disqualified on the basis of being not "serious enough". Come on, if "The Dark" from the Jam #20 wasn't disqualified, I don't know what would. >.<

Well, aside from something that breaks the general community rules and such; but as far as I know, there is no rule against sending exceptionally poor entry.

Also, @nvrogers, aside from being inspired by an absurd premise, I like that picture you made. However, I think you should have changed the eyes of the cat (on the shoulder) as well, and maybe given him a pair of fangs...?
That kinda reminds me of my ol' Paranoia-inspired reviews. Good times, that.

@LegendarySavior: yes, the rules got updated (that's the random "in GameMaker" occurrence I mentioned the post before that). While it should be obvious that GMC Jam should use GameMaker, I agree it's better to have this 100% cleared up.

Speaking of the things I updated in the first post, anyone keen on speculating about the second theme? I think that should work better than speculating about what sort of entries I'll qualify or not. ^^'

M

Misu

My guesses for second theme:

SPACESHIPS
BULLETHELL
PLATFORMER
SIDESCROLL
TIMETRAVEL
POLITICIAN
SCIENCEFIC
ROYTHESHOR

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
ROYTHESHOR
YOUR GUESS IS TOO SHORT!
Or, well, actually the guess is too long and the theme too short, but I can't use 'your' in that reference since you didn't make the theme... x3

Also, this discussion has made me tempted to make an intentionally bad entry. I've noticed a lot of my projects gets held back because I'm too picky with them, so I should practice making bad games more often. :p

I'll assume one of the theme's letters is a space, so here's some combinations for that:
  • LATE NIGHT
  • LAST STAND
  • EAT FRUITS
  • DISCUSS ME
  • EVERY MAN
  • FAKE FRIEND
  • EARLY/LATE
  • RELY ON ME
  • YOU'RE GONE
  • REALLY HOT
  • YOU LOST IT
  • DICE THROW
  • DON'T COUNT
  • HATE HORSE
  • BLIND LUCK

O

Otyugra

HYYYYPE! Maybe I'll enter yet another weird game for yet another jam. I super look forward to watching everyone's progress and seeing new faces and returning rivals.

My Guesses:
  • squeezable
  • lumberjack
  • ungimmicky
  • subaquatic
  • filmmaking
  • exorcizing (you might want to read that again)
  • ( and my personal favorite: ) zigzagging :p

A

Aura

Could you please count how many games each voter commented/ranked, whichever number is higher?
Sure thing. But please give me a day or two.

I'll add all that data to the spreadsheet, including the Jams that people have voted in, their voted-reviewed ratio (number of games reviewed/number of games voted) plus average ratio and *stuff*. ^^"

O

Otyugra

Who needs diplomatic solutions when you could jam in a post nuclear world?

T

theonewhoisodd

Excited for this one. My coding has gotten a lot better in the few months since the last one but unfortunately my artwork still stinks so prepare for that.

Sure thing. But please give me a day or two.

I'll add all that data to the spreadsheet, including the Jams that people have voted in, their voted-reviewed ratio (number of games reviewed/number of games voted) plus average ratio and *stuff*. ^^"
Goodness this is getting technical.

Make sure you add the height and weight of the participant as well as their age. :p

Joking aside, this will be very interesting to see.

RekNepZ

GMC Historian
I just realized that I don't think if done much (if any) programming since the last jam. I'm so glad we have these :lemsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.