GMC Jam Discussion The Post-Apocalyptic GMC Jam #1 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always loved watching timelapses, so during this jam I recorded my entire game development process from start to finish. There's around 50 hours of content that I'm gonna be shortening down into something around half an hour long, with some chill music in the background. I'll be getting it all ready and I'll link it when I'm done, probably in my Games Topic post.

R

RustyShadow

Good job everyone! I'm excited to try out your games! I didn't get done nearly as much I wanted to get done, but I learned a TON! I look forward to being more involved with this community. Now, time to go work, and then go to school, and then clean the house, and then go on a date with my wife.... The rest of life can now officially be un-paused.

HayManMarc

I didn't get "Last Hope" finished, but it's at least somewhat playable. I rushed in the sounds and music, so nothing is balanced. Also rushed a title screen. If you would like a synopsis on what the game story was going to be, I wrote a bit on the game's post in the games topic. I really like how this one was developing. I very well may continue this post-jam.

Good job, everyone! I look forward to playing and reviewing your games!

Carnivius

Argh. I can't add my screenshots (and oddly they were a nightmare to do, I was having a lot of computer issues) to the game download topic cos it closed. So I will have to do it here...

TITLE: DEAD ZONE

http://carnivac.co.uk/DeadZone.zip

Screenshots:

Bugs involving the boss, some enemies... bleh.

Controls: Return is your start button thing, 'X' is Fire, Cursors move you about. Holding fire locks your aim in the direction you are facing.

Some debug keys are still active. Ignore those. :p Oh and 'C' switches between authentic CRT filter and cheapass simple scanline effect.

It's not great but hey it's a sorta-finished-cept-for-some-bugs project by me! After 14 years or so of Game Maker usage... Oh and I ran out of time for the player death sequence and restart point so that's very basic. Sorry.

Some of the graphics were done by me years ago (player sprite, bug enemy, some tiles) and modified to fit this aesthetic. Sounds and ditties done in Arkos Tracker for the Amstrad/Speccy authentic AY sound (my first time using it so be kind :p )

I'd like to do an improved version of this game later on and add back in all the stuff I had to leave out due to time or delete cos it wasn't working. I enjoyed making it... I didn't enjoy my anxiety levels being abused like crazy in the final hour though.

Last edited:
Z

zircher

Thanks for all the wonderful coordination. Can we get a single list of people that successfully submitted (and by inference people that need to fix their submissions?)

Being my first jam, is there a normal polish and feature complete period where folks show off their completed game if they would had the time? [For example, there's a semi-official editor's month after the NaNoWriMo contest.]

ghandpivot

Thanks for the jam guys, it was great. I'm amazed by the general quality of graphics too, people draw really well compared to a few years back!

Came home from work today and had one hour to panic-fix some bugs which created new ones and broke the game, but 2 minutes before deadline I made it all come together. Probably the most ambitious work I've ever done considering that I'm not really programming outside of the jams all that much anymore :)
Here's the highscores for my game, dare to claim a spot?

The M

My game was supposed to have multiple levels. Though that didn't matter too much in the end (and a single level makes the title more understandable), here's a pic of the cut level 2. It features unique assets and mechanics (if you can't protect the generators to the left then the entire yard will turn dark, causing zombies to spawn much more frequently).

Also, you can see the light engine isn't too good at dealing with multiple lights overlapping. ^^

D

DocNogloff

My god, what a ride. I'm finally settled in a resort room with wifi, and seeing you guys post all your games here, I can't wait to start voting once I return home next week.

Good jam everybody, much nicer turnout than last time by a huge number! (70+ vs 40) :D

Carnivius

Really great job by everybody.
I'd never done one of these jams before. Never had a deadline for any game project of mine especially one so damn tight. I'm glad I entered though. Usually I waste so much time with overthinking every single little thing (not just in game dev but in general life) and redoing graphics over and over and over, it was really a new experience for me to just make things up as I went along with barely a second thought. Sure, the limited time meant my game is rather small and buggy but it's still a really good foundation to build an enhanced version of the game later on it feels nice knowing I am capable of producing a game and releasing even if 'forced' to. I'll take a short break from game dev after that intense few days then get back to work on fixing those bugs and putting in some of the features I didn't have time for or had to disable for being too broken. :p

Thanks GMCJam. :)

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
The voting topic has been setup and no more entries nor changes are allowed!

Cue appropriate sound effect.

The ZIP has been prepared and will be linked to in the voting topic as soon as it's uploaded. When it happens, I'll make sure to post here with the link.

(also, congrats for @Detective Pixel, since if he had submitted his entry ~15 minutes later, his entry wouldn't be included; speak of a close call...)

Murzy

So, time for a little post- Post-Apocalyptic Jam post for our game Mortal Metanoia ;)

Our goal for the jam wasn't to make anything revolutionary, as the theme didn't manage to inspire us very much in all of its lets-make-yet-another-zombie-game–ness. That's why we decided on the day one to go ahead with a simple idea of a platform shooter. The focus was on making the game feel polished and "juicy", in which, I think, we succeeded pretty well for a jam game. Still, there is only so much time in a weekend – even when you spend the most of the time you are awake during the weekend developing :) Thus, a lot of stuff we had thought about was left out of the game and/or is incomplete.

In particular, the game is missing any kinds of instructions on how its played. For example, there are no indicators for the guns in the HUD whatsoever, the level design is something that we just rushed in there for the most part, and there is no actual storyline or progression other than the slides in the intro of the game. I really hope that the FATAL ERRORs that were encountered in the last moments of playtesting before we had to wrap it up on Sunday were patched by the last minute dirty fixes as well :D

Also, even though Sounds for Pixels made us some epic tracks (big thanks!) there simply was no time to implement any in-game sound effects, which is a bit of a shame :(

Anyways, I think that participating in the Jam was a good way to motivate oneself to get something done and actually wrapped up to a playable state – which is something that I and Mattie have been struggling with our non-jam games :p

In any case, I hope you enjoy the game!

P.S. Haven't had time to check out the competition yet, but I wish you good luck in advance!

~ Murzy

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
So, time for a little post- Post-Apocalyptic Jam post for our game Mortal Metanoia ;)
You missed the chance to exploit the pun chance with "post-mortem", but I guess post-post-apocalyptic is also a worthy target :p

Instruction-wise, there's almost always time to squeeze in a readme TXT file in the game ZIP, and that'll be relatively prominent once the game is unzipped for play. I didn't really have the energy to add in a proper in-game credits list, so I squeezed one in as a TXT. It's pretty nice to not have to worry about positioning text and stuff like that for a change, I should do this more often :p

C

CoderJoe

Downloading games now! There is a bug in my game btw, If you die the objectives are not reset. :p Hopefully it wont effect play to much. I fixed the bug but it was to late :(

S

Snail Man

Pretty sure my game zip version will be broken because a fatal error that literally appeared while I was sleeping, after I'd compiled and uploaded the game. This is my life

Zerb Games

Yesterday went to bed at
Pretty sure my game zip version will be broken because a fatal error that literally appeared while I was sleeping, after I'd compiled and uploaded the game. This is my life
Same, plus the worst part is I finished the game with the fatal error not in it... Sent the wrong version... This is my life.

S

Snail Man

I sent the right version, but something in the online high score system managed to break as I slept

ghandpivot

I forgot to take the player back to the main menu after they post their highscore so the only way to view the highscores is to close the game and relaunch it which is really stupid :rolleyes:

C

CoderJoe

I forgot to take the player back to the main menu after they post their highscore so the only way to view the highscores is to close the game and relaunch it which is really stupid :rolleyes:
Some of the bugs we make :p My bug actually could of been avoided as I made a script to reset everything after the player died. I just didn't put anything in the script because I wasn't sure of all the variables I would be using. :p

S

Snail Man

Note: please use the download of my game from the topic; the difference is one line of code to fix a fatal error that appeared as I slept

Topic

M

Miner7365

Okay, for some reason the run button isn't working for me.....

C

CoderJoe

I updated my download but my bugged version is in the zip. I also put my game on Itch.io here

M

Misty

Ok, so here is my dev log, if anyone cares to read.

Day 1 - Brainstorm. Think of about 30 different games, work on none of them, sit and let them simmer.
Here is a list if you care to read.
Killing game - too predictable.
Game where you blow everything up - too predictable.
So I though of a FPS game where you run around from ghosts. Easy to code, because the enemies don't
have wall collisions.
Therapist suggested to me a game where it is the apocalypse, and the goal of the game is to walk around and do nothing
for 1 minute, then die. Told me to just ignore all the bad comments this game idea of his would inevitably get.
Told him it wouldn't work, just too boring.

Started planning for the FPS game, you play as a ghost trying to possess people and get them to commit suicide, had to summon Jesus to turn ghosts into pigs,
then changed it to a Buddhist game where you have to mediate and escape your ego...
an Illuminati pyramid that went around spawning ghosts but the map gave me a headache.
Search for new ideas...

Cecil's revenge...play as Cecil the lion come back from the dead...Guns are banned, leaving citizens defenseless, only to throw stones.

Or, game inspired by Carnivores Cityscape.

Family suggested a maze game in an Aztec pyramid...
Or murder mystery type game, mafia vs. serial killer. vs. randoms.

Or titanic simulator...map would be too big

Or a game where you bump everybody off to collect their insurance...but as soon as you do so you become the target.

Decided on a game wher you have an AK 47 and you have to kill every One, but leave 0's and 2's and abc's alive.
Map should be like gridpaper reminesct of old tank games.
Then cancelled that idea.

Or a helicopter rescue game where you save people with IR goggles and have set time to rescue people.
Day 2 - Discarded every single idea from day 1 and started from scratch. Ended up making this fps thingy where the world was taken over by certain corporate entities and robots. Went to sleep, had a dream. Dream was a game about an oil town blowing up, mom saved me and was rescued by 4 handsome men.
Thought I should convert my dream into a game, escape the town before it blows up.
I was very close to making this game but decided the game had no structure compared to the game I already had going.
Here is some concept art from that game:
upload_2016-8-1_14-32-30.png upload_2016-8-1_14-32-53.png upload_2016-8-1_14-33-14.png

Day 3 - Crunch time. Ran into some frustration...my bios battery is old and my date was off, GM STUDIO discarded my license keys and refused to open the program without an internet connectiion...Like obi wan kenobi vs. darth maul in the force shields, I took the time to make the best of a pickle and draw more high quality graphics for my game.
Had 5 hours before midnight and luckily GM STUDIO free has all the features....otherwise I would have been screwed...I forgot my old studio license email...I bow and am on my knees to Yoyogames for making GM STUDIO have all the good features in Free...

Long story short, I uploaded my game and it had some bugs in it...fixed the bugs but version 6 has some lighting issues, that is the version included in the Zip I think.

Carnivius

Apologies for my game. There's a couple of really unfair bits regarding sloppy enemy placement in a couple places combined with a bug in the enemy activation code. It's almost impossible to complete. :/ That's what happens when I run out of time to actually play test the level properly (in my defense, GM:S was doing that thing again where if I've been using it for an hour or so it starts to take aaaaaaaaages to run my project, usually staying a long time on the 'Checking Resources' or saving bits, so that used up a lot of my last hour of the contest). :/

Still, I like the way my game feels and looks so it's got potential to be something I can at least somewhat satisfied with. Just not right now with the bugs and such. :p

All I can say is WOW.

81 entries and nearly 800mb of games?! Guys, this is amazing. Sadly because of life this is only my 2nd GMC Jam ever but this community never ceases to amaze me. Keep up the gamedev everyone. This is awesome. I've played a few random games that caught my eye and I've been very impressed. You guys are putting me to shame!

Zodaris

It has occurred to me that I forgot to mention in my README file that I didn't have enough time to put in archers and such into my game. Ah well, doesn't change a thing even if I did remember. Literally no danger in my game. Mostly it was meant to be funny anyways.

N

nvrogers

Wow. My game is buggy as hell.

A lot of great entries this time around! Looking forward to doing some reviewing.

Status
Not open for further replies.