• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GMC Jam Discussion The Post-Apocalyptic GMC Jam #1 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zodaris

Woo!! I actually finished it! AND I managed to find some music that worked. I don't think it's that good, and I had to cut out a lot (wanted to have a castle and guards who would attack you), but other than that, not bad for my first game jam I think.

screen__0.png

The M

This should get you in the right coding tempo for the last bunch of hours! It's also 10 hours long, so you don't even need to put it on repeat! :D
I just passed the 1 hour mark. 6 more until the jam ends. :)

G

guadalcanal

Finished my first game jam! The game is pretty bad but at least I kinda finished. This has definitely been a learning experience. You can check it out here:
Time Travel is Hard

S

Snail Man

Well, I'm done. I'm pretty happy with my entry, except that I didn't have time for any sound effects. I know that I still have ~4 hours, but it's nearly 4:00 AM and I really need some sleep. I'm going to do one final test run, then compile, submit, and sleep.

D

DerekGolliher

Unfortunately we were unable to finish the game in time... Still way too much to finish before the end of the Jam. Which sucks because we spent 16 straight hours building it. We're going to spend more time with it and hopefully set it up as our first official release. We'll keep in touch. Thanks for the push that we needed to start seriously developing! Good luck to you all!

C

CoderJoe

Updated post here for my game! :) Super proud of it. This was my second jam (first was the LudumDare this spring). This one has music, sound effects, no bugs (that I'm aware of), and a cool story plus some cool visual effects! Good luck to all of you! Looking forward to playing some games!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Did anyone actually plan their game out or did you just slap stuff together and hope for the best like I have done? :p
I planned my game somewhat... I had a list of areas I wanted to include, some themes I wanted the notes to include, and a bunch of different level design build blocks. I still randomly put things together to make the levels and ad-libbed the notes each time I placed one, but having a plan made it possible to keep things a lot more cohesive.

As always, I guess I promote loose planning over both rigid planning and no planning... planning stuff should only be done to the extent that it REMOVES work, not adds it.

C

CoderJoe

Did anyone actually plan their game out or did you just slap stuff together and hope for the best like I have done? :p
Definitly planned this. Had an idea than wrote out all kinds of stuff. As I made it I improvised a lot but stuck close to the original.

R

rui.rosario

I had a game planned.... then right before I got home Friday I thought of something completely different and got this Jam's entry

Nallebeorn

Woke up at 8 am, after some 4 hours of sleep, but wasn't actually any less tired than when I went to bed. So I went back to bed to half-sleep for 1 1/2 hours. I'll make sure to add an ending, a better intro (it starts very abruptly/oddly currently) and maybe some music. I'll probably just drop the last 25% of the game world, it's not really that important anyway.

3:15 hours left, let's do this!

S

Snail Man

FINISHED!

GMCity Carnage
Featuring online highscores!

After bots overran Gamemaker City, President Playtech placed it under quarantine

They had to remove the bot threat once and for all.

One platoon of bots survived, and began advancing on the new GMUtopia.

The deceased moderating team from the old GMCity, awakened by moderatorial duty, are the only people (corpses) who can stop the bots from destroying the new GMUtopia!

Game made for the 1st GMC Jam on the new GMC forums in 72 hours.
Theme: EVERYONE IS DEAD
Everything in this game is by Snail_Man

Mr Magnus

Viking King
ok, I'm out. I simply do not have time nor energy to make anything worthwhile for the jam in time. My army of dodos will have to wait a better time, when I'm not working 12 hours at a time being exhausted.

I'll play and vote your games, and that's good enough for me!

J

JackOatley

Finished my game, I didn't really spend too long on it... And the art is all derived from easy Google Searches, lol. But I got the whole look I wanted and I'm happy with it. It's a very simple game, but quite satisfying I think: Silent Road

I'm also considering doing video reviews/ratings again, as it's been a while and that was always fun. :)

The M

2 hours! Time to start making levels.

I wonder if I have time to implement a story... (who am I kidding, I don't :()

W

WRLCK

Finished my entry a couple of hours ago but I forgot to tell everyone. Oops. :p
Anyway here's my entry: Pixel Paracide!

Basically, the idea is to eat all enemies in every area for 8 levels while trying to avoid bullets, and you're constantly moving in four directions, snapped to a grid (like Snake). Oh, and its fast.​

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kiesenverseist

STILL cramming and polishing. Its getting really edgy now.

But this is probably my best work so far. (Though that's not saying much :p)

T

Tselmek

Finally done with my little entry thing. Not as polished as I wanted but it's my first GMCJam after all and I didn't have as much free time as I wish I had. Good luck to everyone who entered!

by Tselmek & zminusone sound

The Papers, Please of the Judgement Day

Micah_DS

Ah..... yeah... I've failed, and oh man do I need sleep. I know I'm not the only one.:confused:

I just couldn't pull off my Metroid-like idea in 24 hours, especially since I tried something new for me and didn't realize it was more complicated than I thought it would be. If only I'd had the full 72 hours to work on it and had already learned how to do array / grid-based collisions (as opposed to object collisions). Ah well. There's always next jam, and I will certainly try again then as well.

But now the jam is quickly coming to a close and this is where I stand...
  • The world editor is 90% done, just lacking the IDs of various items and such - like energy tanks and flags for spawns, etc.
  • The game loads and handles the world map data in a decently efficient manner.
  • I have a custom tiling engine which works by using an array and a sprite with sub images and stuff.
  • Mostly object-less and the entire game only needs one room, because arrays are glorious and GM is awesome on multiple levels, allowing game developers to be stingy like me and not get anything done because of it. Wheee~! Cheers for freedom!
  • Got some title screen music done (though half the time spent working on it was a couple days before the jam started).
Hardly any graphics to show though. This is most of it (avoiding spoiling when I finish it later), only lame tiny mock-up...
GJ001_SomeGraphicsAlbum.png
After a good long sleep, I'm gonna keep making the game, as I play all the games you guys have made, ofc! Oh what a wonderful life it is~ the gamer's life. :D

Whoops, almost forgot to say, THANKS A BUNCH to Pico-8 for the palette! Really helps me focus on other things to use a limited palette like this.

POST-JAM EDIT:
Just wanted to show that I successfully got the object-less array-based collisions working. The game (or in this case, it's the editor part of the game) reads from an array and draws accordingly and collisions are also done by comparing variable values with array values. Now that I got some sleep, it was quite easy to solve my issue. Very sad cuz my lack of sleep during the jam really stopped my brain functionality and I was stuck needlessly for literally HOURS. But anyway, gif time:
DiorteM _ArrayCollisionsSuccess.gif.gif
I'll have to make a topic in the "Work in Progress" section after I get things to a more fun and playable state.

Last edited:
C

ConsolCWBY

Whew! I am done! It's not really what I wanted to do, but it's the best I've got so far! LOL! My first Jam ever and I regretted every minute of it - not what I'd call finished or a game, but I don't care anymore! I'm just not into speed I guess... ah well, maybe a post mortem will be in order once I get some sleep. Not bad for a total of 9 1/2 hours work tho...

M

Morne

Congrats to all!!

We finally submitted the downloadable files for game "GreyFall" version 1-1 in games topic and on Itch.

All finished up... Whew
I didn't get half of the stuff that I planned into the game, but hey it's playable and decently entertaining, so I can't complain too much!
Overall, the jam was awesome and a lot of fun! I'd forgotten what it feels like to do 20 hours of nonstop programming on 3 hours of sleep :)
Great job guys, looking forward to playing some of these other games!!

Zerb Games

By: David Sommerfield of Zerb Games

Quick Note: This game was done in ~5 hours I didn't have as much time as I had hoped for, but I got what I could call a decent engine going. I would of liked to accomplish a lot more, and really spend a lot of time tweaking for """game feel""", or whatever you wanna call it. Overall I could say the concept is there which I am happy with, enjoy!

Download: Broken_World.exe

Also, would anyone mind capturing a gif or 2 for me of this game. GifCam is giving me problems, and that's the only Gif capture that doesn't lag the crap out of my PC. Thanks <3

Last edited:
G

GhostlyFeline

I'm exhausted. Pulled three late nights in a row. When I get home from my friend's house, I'm gonna just pass out for a few hundred years.

Joh

Woot. done.
Can't beleive I stayed till the end.

All about finding the culprit in those everybody died case.
It's quite challenging, but it's doable now.

In this game you face cases where Everybody is dead. Clearly the culprit commited suicide after killing everyone else, but who is it?
Read the letters of the victims (and the killer) and try to discover the killer.
It's honestly hard, but it's also fair. The result is shown after an attempt.
When you "get it" it's much better yet still challenging.

Hope you like it!
Game

Game Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.