GMC Jam Discussion The Post-Apocalyptic GMC Jam #1 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Lost in the abyss of time, nearly abandoned yet never forgotten; there was little hope it would be ever brought back again.

Yet, finally, it is here. Familiar, yet completely new and changed.
Marking the beginning of another era, when everything and everyone start over.

THEME:
EVERYBODY IS DEAD
TRANSITION
REPLAY

Complete ranking:

1. Everything's Gone to Hell by @TehPilot, @TheFugue
  2. The Dark Within by @aamatniekss
  3. Mortal Metanoia by @Mattie, @Murzy
  4. Rest in Peace by @Blake
  5. antideath by @Yokcos
  6. ghost town by @porcupinester
  7. Lonely Drone by @GameDevDan
  8. Four Versus the World by @NAL
  9. Final Shelter by @The M
  10. The Equation of Life by @ghandpivot
  11. Jumpship Cyrus by @Brenbruyn, @harukiya
  12. GMCity Carnage by @Snail Man
  13. Scared to Death by @Ixlegraw
  14. Devil's Mansion by @Joh
  15. Last Stand by @Jett, @zminusone
  16. HackMan by @A T, SA
  17. Troubles of Post-Mortal Times by @Alice, @Mercerenies
  18. Afterstory by @David Chen, Moxxin, Adam Twite
  19. Dead Zone by @Carnivius
  20. Desert Lands by @Nallebeorn
  21. Fall Harvest Season by @BlessHayGaming
  22. Grim Reaper's Last Job by @Ehrgeiz, @Mortalo
  23. Lonely by @johnwo
  24. Dearelict by @Yal
  25. Grave Trigger by @Dark
  26. The Aftermath by @Tselmek, @zminusone
  27. The Last Ghost by @Coolbot4k
  28. The Swarm by @Fel666
  29. Pixel Paracide by @WRLCK
  30. EiD by @Nocturne
  31. The Winchester by @clemonades
  32. Noalle's Ark by @shadowspear1
  33. Death's Salesman by @zn_pete, @Daniel Navarro, @wilix95
  34. The Major Forces by @lizzard
  35. Phantomatics by @Otyugra
  36. Deadly Desire by @GhostlyFeline, @Misu
  37. Dance With Death by @nvrogers
  38. When They Come 2 by @trg601
  39. Spooky Jam by @Kepons
  40. Half Hearted by @DocNogloff
  41. The Last Space Luchador by @Siolfor the Jackal, Bandido Burrito
  42. Forgive Me For Living by @Lonewolff
  43. Bone Crusher by @chance
  44. Silent Road by @JackOatley
  45. One Last Bite by @NightOwl35
  46. Everyone is Dead by @Aviox
  47. My Dragon Pal by @Zodaris
  48. Revival Of The Undead Princess Satsuka by @Aura, @Rusty
  49. Undead Matador Deluxe by @MikeDark_x
  50. Soulgrab by @RekNepZ
  51. Clone Runners by @Cameron
  52. A Ghost Adventure by @Nexusrex
  53. Last Hope by @HayManMarc, @zminusone
  54. Alone by @CoderJoe, Awesomesauce, Dysprox
  55. Grey Fall by @Morne, Bernard, Marius
  56. The Robot And The Pharaoh by @Freddy Jones
  57. Time Travel is Hard by @guadalcanal
  58. Planet Dreth by @Mocgames998
  59. Welcome To Purgatory by @Sirham
  60. Ghost Butler by @Shadow_Lancer, @Shameless
  61. My My My Charona by @Electros
  62. Tree of Life by @Kiesenverseist
  63. Monty goes to town by @spliffium
  64. Territory Earth by @Wraithious
  65. Love is Life by @rui.rosario
  66. A long time after by @poncle
  67. Game Engine Test by @Misty
  68. Save the Last Human by @Moon Goat
  69. Ask Death by @Detective Pixel
  70. Nothing But Static by @zircher
  71. Come + See the World 50 Yrs Hence by @ConsolCWBY
  72. Nothing Ventured by @NeoTalon
  73. Regret by @Miner7365
  74. Buried At Sea by @ZombieLawyer
  75. Broken World by @Zerb Games
  76. EvoBio by @felixpf
  77. They are all DEAD, Unless... by @RustyShadow
  78. KATT by @KaShuen
  79. Everybody is Dead by @iTzCallumUK
  80. Everyone Is Dead by @dadio
  81. DEADZONE by @Cat, @var

Best-ofs:

Best use of EVERYBODY IS DEAD: Everything's Gone to Hell by @TehPilot, @TheFugue
Best Concept: The Swarm by @Fel666
Best Presentation: The Dark Within by @aamatniekss
Best Story: The Dark Within by @aamatniekss
Best Devlog: Final Shelter by @The M

Best reviewer: @Misu, for particularly detailed reviews, clearly taking quite an effort to put together
(if only you had actually sent that ranking in the end...)

Special mention goes to @ghandpivot for making a video review of every single game, as well as @TheUltimate whose feedback is particularly detailed.
Finally, I can't thank enough the people who took their time to play and comment on every single entry. The other votes are appreciated as well.

Trophy banners for 82 entries and the best reviewer are available HERE.

What, where, when?

GMC Jam is a quarterly community event held on GameMaker Community. It is entirely a community event; neither YoYo Games nor Playtech are officially involved in this competition, aside from providing forum space to carry it out. It dates back to the times of old forum, where 21 editions were held (plus one bonus), and now it's back here on the new forums! You can check the GMC Jam records in the GMC Jam Hall of Fame & Archive.

The Jam has three phases:
  • discussion, held in discussion topic; started about 2 weeks before the Jam (the discussion remains open during and after the Jam, too, until the next Jam discussion starts)
  • development, the core of the Jam, the 72 hours when entries are made and posted in games topic
  • decision, when community members vote for their favourite games and provide feedback to specific entries; it lasts roughly 2 weeks after the Jam, before the results are announced

This GMC Jam will run for 72 hours in the following timeframe:
July 29th (Friday), 12:00 GMT - August 1st (Monday), 12:00 GMT

No Daylight Saving Time

Countdown clock

GMC Jam rules

The following rules will be used during this GMC Jam. There have been some changes compared to the previous Jam from the old forums, so make sure to read these carefully. Also, general Community Guidelines apply.

PARTICIPATION:
  • any GMC member is welcome to participate in GMC Jam and submit their entry
  • each entry must be made by a single GMC member or a team of up to 3 people; people outside GMC can be in the team, as long as at least one GMC member is in that team
  • each participant can make or contribute to as many entries as they want, but they can only claim rewards for one of them (unless the reward is given specifically for the entry)
  • each entry must have a single post in this Jam's games topic (opened once the Jam officially starts), and no two entries can share the same post
  • the Games topic post can be used to present the entry progress; it can also contain a devlog
  • by the time the Jam ends, each Games topic post must contain a valid link to the entry downloadable file

ENTRY:
  • the entry must be an original creation made in GameMaker specifically for the Jam, within the Jam timeframe
  • the entry might use assets (graphics, audio, scripts, extensions, Marketplace resources etc.) created before the Jam, whether by team members or someone else; however, the credits should make clear where the assets come from and which were made before the Jam
  • the creators of the entry must have rights to all of the assets; unlicensed use of resources is not allowed
  • the entry must be available as a Windows executable file, exported as a stand-alone file or as a ZIP; installers are not allowed
  • the entry might be exported to other platforms as well (such as HTML5 or Android), but the Windows executable must be available

THEME:
  • the Jam has a theme - a general idea around which the entry can be built
  • at the beginning of the Jam discussion there are 3 hidden themes, which will be gradually revealed during the discussion
  • the day before the Jam starts (at least 24 hours in advance) all 3 themes are revealed and theme voting begins
  • the theme with the most votes is officially announced as the Jam theme at the beginning of the Jam
  • there may be a draw or very little difference between two leading themes; in such case, both become the Jam theme and participants are free to use either and ignore the other
  • while incorporating the theme in the entry is not mandatory, participants are strongly encouraged to do so
  • the entry that uses the theme in the most interesting way can win best use of theme award; if the Jam has two themes, there is one award for each theme

BEST-OF AWARDS:
  • aside from the Jam-specific theme, the games can be rated on the concept, the presentation and the story
  • the concept is related to the core gameplay mechanics idea - whether the game rules themselves are creative and entertaing or not
  • the presentation is related to the overall polish - whether the entry provides the right experience through audiovisuals, and whether it's not disrupted by bugs and errors
  • the story is related to the events or motivation present throughout the entry; it can be told through dialogue and narrative, as well as implied through game design
  • the entries excelling at these categories can win best concept, best presentation and best story awards
  • furthermore, aside from entries themselves, their devlogs can be rated; the entry with the most interesting devlog can win best devlog awards

VOTING:
  • after the Jam ends, all entries are gathered in a single ZIP with all entries for everyone to download
  • once the ZIP is available, the voting begins, and it lasts approximately 2 weeks; a longer voting period may be chosen when more than 70-80 entries are submitted
  • the voting period may be extended upon request by at most one additional week; however, not every such request must be granted, and one should show a reasonable progress with reviewing/playing the Jam entries
  • the voting is carried out in the Jam's voting topic, where each voter makes a single post for their scores and reviews
  • any GMC member may vote, whether they participated or not, but participants cannot rank or award their own entries
  • each voter must rank and post a brief comment on at least top 3 games; also, they can rank more games
  • each voter can vote for best use of theme, concept, presentation, story and devlog
  • each voter can vote for best reviewer, but in this case their opinion is entirely non-binding - the best reviewer is eventually chosen by the Jam host after the voting ends
  • aside from best reviewer award, there might be additional symbolic acknowledgements for outstanding reviewing, made with effort and care; in particular, when all or nearly all entries have a decent feedback, when at least 10 helpful and thorough reviews are made or when at least 10 reviews are presented in a creative or entertaining way
  • if some voters or participants are found to be cheating, their entries may be disqualified and they might be excluded from future community events
  • shortly after the voting period closes (preferably within 24 hours), the votes are summed up, and the final results announced; after that, all prizes should be distributed where applicable

PRIZES:
  • top 3 entries, as well as best-of award winners, get special banners and are featured in the Hall of Fame
  • all other entries get their banners, too, just not as special
  • creator of top 3 themed entries get the right to choose the next Jam's pool of themes; one theme per entry
  • aside from regular GMC Jam prizes, other GMC members can contribute the community prizes by PMing the Jam host
  • the community prizes can be given to any range of places, best-of winners, reviewers, personal favourites etc.
  • the community prizes can be nearly anything - custom graphics, soundtracks, gameplay videos, software keys etc.; as long as they are not monetary prizes and they don't break community rules
  • it is community prize contributor's responsibility to give the prize; they should make sure they can deliver their promise

Community prizes

Want to add your community prize? PM the Jam host the details!

@aamatniekss offers Steam keys for Moustache Mountain and There Was a Caveman for each top 3 entry.
@Alexx offers copy of PDF book and examples ZIP for all entrants.
@Alice offers the legendary humble GameMaker bundle to the 5th, 7th and 11th place entry.
@CodeManu offers a Steam key for Garry's mod for 6th place entry.
@dadio offers:
  • a retro Golden-era YoYo Mug & a "Dadio's Choice Award" signature pic & $5 worth of Steam games for what he deems the Jokiest-Funniest Game
  • commercial use licenses for all 50+ fonts of his, for top 3 entries
@Dark offers a Steam copy of Serious Sam 2 for the 5th place entry.
@Diptoman offers the following games: Psychonauts, Hospital Tycoon, Never Alone, Outlast for the top three places and the best reviewer (chosen in the order: 1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place, best reviewer).
@felixpf offers 10 promo codes for MOW: 2-player (featured by Apple in Great Chinese Indie Games), to the top 10 winners.
@ghandpivot offers a Steam key from a pool of ~50 games to choose from (including e.g. Bastion, Trine 2, Bioshock) for the 4th place.
@JackOatley offers actual, homemade Jam, for the highest ranked UK-based entrant.
@Jett offers, for the highest ranking game with a playable character, a digital painting of that character.
@Lonewolff offers a full collection of his Marketplace assets to the top 3 places.
@Ninety offers a piece of music, any style, up to 3 minutes in length for the 10th place entry; PM to claim.
@Nocturne offers:
  • any 3 Marketplace assets of his for the highest ranking game
  • a Marketplace asset of his for the lowest ranking game
  • a copy of Pixoban for top 3 entries
  • Aura lighting engine for the entry he finds the prettiest
@Otyugra offers a haiku and personal thank you for the 4th place entry.
@The M offers a 10€ worth of Steam games fot the 1st place entry.
@Yal offers:
  • a copy of tileset collection for the highest-ranked non-platformer game
  • a custom tileset or sprite sheet, tailored for 16x16 size, with ~24 images for everyone who submits a valid entry

Looking for team

If you are looking for a team to join for this Jam, just send me a PM saying that you want to join a team, and briefly describe your skills. You will be added to the list here, for potential teammates to find you.

People currently looking for team:

@Aggropop - can sketch, throw pixels together, animate; preferably, would team up with a coder
@Emik Vayts - decent at coding, making beats, drawing squares; ability to draw circles not accounted for
@LegendarySavior -programmer, specializing in 2D platformers/2D physics/2D mazes/game networking/game database, looking for a talented 2D artist

Spread the word!

If you would like to promote the Jam, please paste one of the following codes in your signature. You can also click on the links to get full-sized pictures. Also, please remember that your signature is effective only when you are posting around forums. You might want to go ahead and give feedback in Made with GameMaker and Work in Progress forums, or maybe participate in Programming and Community Tech Support discussions.

Code:
[center][url=https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/the-post-apocalyptic-gmc-jam-1-discussion-thread.2174/][img]http://i.imgur.com/JVl063H.png[/img][/url][/center]
Code:
[center][url=https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/the-post-apocalyptic-gmc-jam-1-discussion-thread.2174/][img]http://i.imgur.com/bITNaAt.png[/img][/url][/center]
Code:
[center][url=https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/the-post-apocalyptic-gmc-jam-1-discussion-thread.2174/][img]http://i.imgur.com/TvzJ9cm.png[/img][/url][/center]
All images used here were made by @NAL. Thanks a lot~!

Let's get the discussion started!

Last edited:

Overloaded

The Oneirophobe
The GMCJam has returned, at last! Dunno if I will enter the Jam myself, because I'll have to leave for vacation at July 31th. But I may work on something. It's been a while since I last entered a Jam and I've missed it. :D

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
It's the noon. The Jam starts at the Friday noon GMT, and ends at the Monday noon GMT. That way every Jammer from a timezone between GMT -12 and GMT +12 will have a full weekend available, as far as no Daylight Saving Time is involved.

F

FruitPunchGuy

As a guy who is ABSOLUTELY NEW to GM:S, the forums and the Jam, I must ask.
a) Can Music be made before Jam time begins?
b) Can we use public sound effects?

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to it!

G

Guest User

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to it!
As far as I know, yes and yes. Pre-prepared resources are allowed, just no predone specific programming (last I checked, anyway). Will need authoritative confirmation.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
The convention in past jams is that you can use pre-made resources, especially where music is concerned. I think most of us here recognise that composing a good soundtrack for a game could take up the whole weekend, so unless you work on a team with a dedicated composer, using pre-made audio is the best option.

In terms of other resources, most people make their graphics and do all of their coding during Jam time. There has never been any solid rule against using pre-made code snippets and graphics, but I think it's generally accepted that they should be made during jam time if possible.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
  • the entry must be an original creation made specifically for the Jam, within the Jam timeframe
  • the entry might use assets (graphics, audio, scripts, extensions, Marketplace resources etc.) created before the Jam, whether by team members or someone else; however, the credits should make clear where the assets come from and which were made before the Jam
  • the creators of the entry must have rights to all of the assets; unlicensed use of resources is not allowed
So, overall, the answer is "yes" and "yes". Just make sure that you are actually permitted to use the resources, and that you credit the original authors properly. Ideally, someone looking at your credits should be able to obtain/purchase the resources on their own.

In practice, most people code the core mechanics during the Jam time (possibly using some pre-made scripts or Marketplace resources, I dunno) and make the graphics, while using freely available soundtracks and sound effects obtained elsewhere (unless they have a dedicated composer in their team, I guess?).

Jett

Digital Artist
I'll force myself to make a game this time even if I don't like the theme. I'm ready!

Nallebeorn

It's time again! Hyyyyype! :D
OK, so it no longer runs from midnight to midnight (well, not in the GMT timezone, anyway). That's different... not bad or anything, but it'll be interesting to see how that will be.
It was some time since I last opened GameMaker, but I sure am ready for this! :lemcool:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
*blank depressed stare intensifies*

I've complained to myself about doing either too big projects or too small projects, so that I never get anything finished that I actually care about. Maybe this is the time where I'll finally avert this destructive pattern.

N

Nexusrex

I'm afraid of something..I will be on a travel at 1st of August..So, will the time end with the need of game posting or not? (Like, am i able to post it after a day of the jam's end?)

S

Snail Man

Will be on vacation during the jam. Maybe one full day free. I'm excited to get back to jamming, but I can't say I'm thrilled on a couple of the rule changes. Of course everyone has wanted installers banned since forever, but I think the handicap will be missed, and as for the time difference, it moves the beginning of the jam unreasonably early for many Americans (especially once DST ends and the country drops another hour behind) making it start at 5:00 in the morning for the entire west coast. I'm not saying it was fair before when most of Europe had to start after midnight, but maybe a happy medium could be reached?

Edit: there's no time that will please every GMC member across the US, Europe, and Australia, but right around now, 4:00 GMT, it's 9:00 am across the western US, and 6:00 pm in Europe, a very reasonable starting time for either location.

Last edited by a moderator:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
(snip)... it start at 5:00 in the morning for the entire west coast. I'm not saying it was fair before when most of Europe had to start after midnight, but maybe a happy medium could be reached?
Move to the east coast? But seriously, any advantage you lose at the beginning, you gain at the end. You'll have all night to work on the final day -- whereas the Jam closes at noon in England. Win!

@Alice: btw, your Jam logo is wonderful. Love the broken radioactive jar... inside a jar. And the yellow uranium-salt sky glow over barren hills. Got that post-apocalyptic vibe going nicely.

A

Aura

@chance: I guess @NAL did the logo this time. ^^

@Snail Man: Yes, the timing isn't going to please everyone. It starts and ends at 5:45 AM for me. Fine with the starting time, but I'll have to be fast with the ending time. Can't work late night these days (nights).

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Y'all ready for this??
Yal ready for this!! And you misspelled my name :p

I guess I'll chime in and offer some prizes, too!
  • Best (=highest ranked) non-platformer game wins a copy of my tileset compilation!
  • Everyone that has a valid entry at the end of the jam wins a custom tileset or sprite sheet! (Tailored for 16x16 grid size, approximately 24 images depending on how complicated stuff you want depicted)

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Also, unrelated note - could this old GMC topic get a shout-out or something? (Possibly a repost, I guess - I've talked to Floof about it earlier and I guess I should resume it). It probably could come in handy for a lot of people.

S

Snail Man

Move to the east coast? But seriously, any advantage you lose at the beginning, you gain at the end. You'll have all night to work on the final day -- whereas the Jam closes at noon in England
Unless of course you sleep like a normal human being during the jam, in which case, no matter where in the US you live, you basically have to have your game 100% done and submitted Sunday night. It's not a major complaint, it just seems like if you're going to change the starting time, you could do better.

RekNepZ

GMC Historian
Excited! I missed having a jam.

So we're starting again at Jam #1? This seems like it'll get rather confusing for us old-timers ("which jam 1?"). What's wrong with "22"?

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
About Jam timespan: Well, the general idea is that all Jammers from timezones between -12 and +12 GMT timezones have 48 hours of weekend during the Jam. Had the Jam been earlier or later, some people would be stripped from some of their quality weekend time. Typical Saturday - Monday setup has people from Asia / Australia end their Jam around Tuesday morning, with the beginning of the Saturday gone. The Friday - Sunday on the other hand has Americans end their Jam in the Sunday afternoon. Now, obviously, the exact ending times will vary between the timezones and there's no way around that, but we can at least guarantee that unless someone lives in really unlucky timezone, they will have entire 48 hours of weekend at their disposal. 4:00 GMT doesn't meet that condition, and it seems kinda arbitrary and inelegant to me.

Not to mention that different Jammers have different sleeping patterns, and it'd be hard to please everyone even if they lived in the same time zone. For example, I wouldn't mind the Jam ending around 5:00 am for me, because that way I could stretch that final night when the work gets the most intense, and I'd just gracefully wrap up the game when I started getting sleepy, do some finishing touches to make the game reasonably work, maybe a little bit of playtesting and send it sometime between 1:00 - 4:00 am, maybe. The point is: with people and their different sleeping preferences there is no universal preferred time of Jam starting/ending, whereas most people probably prefer having weekend time to non-weekend - and that we can actually deliver. ^^'

About logos: thanks, chance, but Aura is right - it is NAL who has drawn it (even though the general concept was min). ^^'

About numbering: we decided to start the new numbering to mark the fact that this Jam is a new opening, on the new forum, that sort of thing. This is also why there are several changes this time round - an event like the new forum beginning creates a rare opportunity for significant redesigns etc. Generally, this Jam is supposed to bring the change rather than continuity, or something, and resetting the numbering is supposed to reflect that.

On a side note, it's planned that the next few Jams won't be changed too much compared to this one, so that we can see how various changes are working (recently, it seems there were too many changes too often, and it was kinda hard to tell what worked and what didn't). Hopefully the recent changes introduced won't turn out to be so terrible that they need to be changed right after the first Jam. >.<

N

Nexusrex

Still can't stop the overdid hype. xD
Will we have to post the game's links at the last day or after it?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
BTW @Alice, how should we submit community prizes? In this topic, PM somebody, or just seek up our victims ourselves post-jam?

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Will we have to post the game's links at the last day or after it?
The rules are clear about this. Each jammer (or jammette) must post their game link before the Jam ends.

GMC Jam rules

The following rules will be used during this GMC Jam.
(snip)
  • by the time the Jam ends, each Games topic post must contain a valid link to the entry downloadable file
In the past, some entries were accepted after the Jam ends (shortly after). But these were special circumstances. You can always contact @Alice about this. But I think she was a prison warden before becoming a game developer. So she's pretty strict.

A

Aura

@Yal: Community prizes have always been offered by PMing the host, so I don't think that the tradition has changed. But the OP should surely contain information about that.

@A T: That countdown clock is not maintained by @Alice or anyone but Shadow Link, so there's no point of asking her about that. Either way, it wasn't a good way of telling when the Jam would start or end. Timing was usually off that has created issues for the developers in the past. If you have subscribed to the GMC Jam News Feed then you would get all sorts of information on time.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
In the past, some entries were accepted after the Jam ends (shortly after). But these were special circumstances. You can always contact @Alice about this. But I think she was a prison warden before becoming a game developer. So she's pretty strict.
When I ran the Jam I always strived to be flexible about this, especially since this is a JAM and not a competition... Basically if there was game breaking bug found or something like that and I hadn't prepared the ZIP file then I would happily update the forum links...And I'm sure Alice will be just as flexible- ;) (pulls rank...)

Shadow Link

Where is the countdown clock though?
Right where it always has been!
http://gmcjam.thegmc.com/

Either way, it wasn't a good way of telling when the Jam would start or end. Timing was usually off that has created issues for the developers in the past.
Just curious, but how so? My clock uses UTC and Javascript, so there's no daylight saving's time worries and it's in real time. The only times it has ever been inaccurate is when people couldn't read their own clocks and thought it was wrong (especially when dadio was changing the times to BST and there were DST changes going on). Not trying to sound protective over it, but it's useful I'd say. As with anything though, people should plan accordingly and not submit when there's seconds remaining :)

Z

zircher

My lovely wife will be out of the country. And, I have plenty of vacation time. This might actually be a thing I can do this time around. Awesome. :)

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Alright, the community prizes should be added by sending a PM to the Jam host. I remembered I wrote information about that, but it seems I've mistaken it for the "looking for team" section, where I did mention PMing the host. Sorry. ^^'
Could you people please PM me with your prizes again?

The countdown clock has been added to the first post, too. From what I've seen, it has been setup correctly.

The Tools and Resources topics should be recreated Soon™.

----------

As for the ending time, I might wait some time before I start compiling the ZIP. The value of some time should large enough to allow wrapping up some last features and playtesting a game for crashes (if playtesting your game is longer than some time, it might be kinda long for the Jam; you better make that time exciting and/or increase the movement speed - I've seen quite a few games with too slow movement...).

After some time passes, I'll close the Games topic and start compiling the ZIP - so, basically, closing the Games topic is the moment you should panically send your entries to me, if you haven't linked them in Games topic yet. Once I gather all games, upload the ZIP and open the voting topic, and you still haven't sent your entry, you are in big trouble.

Technically, I can accept some additional entries or post-Jam fixes afterwards (not for too long, several hours tops), but I might put them in some "_Late Entries" folder or something of the updated ZIP, and it will be up to the voters/reviewers to decide what to do with them. Plus, some people might have downloaded the ZIP by that time.

Generally: Playtest your entry! Always! And if possible, get someone else to test it, too! The point of some time is to allow people wrapping up their entries, and if you don't decide to start a Big Big Feature™ half an hour before the Jam scheduled time ends, you should be well able to make sure that your game is in workable state and it can be played/completed properly, and upload it, update the link etc.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
For those interested, here is a league table of all Jam entrants from GMC Jam 1 - 21 on the old forums.

The table counts simply this: the number of individual entries each user beat in each jam, and their total entries beaten across all jams.

Full League Table

Top 10:

1. Yal (905)
2. snail_man (758)
3. GameDevDan (614)
4. NAL (604)
5. Joh (529)
6. 11clock (499)
-. Greenblizzard (499)
8. TerraFriedSheep / Soulsnatcher (490)
9. Blake (483)
10. Lune (483)