Demo The Pillar Of Autumn: Halo CE Remake (Full 3D) GM 8.1

Hey guys,
Okay here is the first release! Most of the game is done all that needs to be added is more sound files, granades, and alien weapons 4.5 months of work. Here is my masterpiece my first complete 3d game made entirely in game maker 8.1. There will obviously be some bugs. I really pushed gm 8.1 to its limits and had to do alot of optimizations with loading and discarding models as to not go over the out of memory limit and vertex buffer overflows. So without any further delay... download away and let me know your thoughts!!
New Download: https://mega.nz/#!cR9xUTgA!CMoQ-Ff3Fgulhs5iBKASm8Q5nHci0zNCexRqmJxPHYw
Old Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?badpq5j8dhbjxvq

Video:

Original post:
Ive been a lurker on the game maker community for many many years, Game maker started my programming career and over the years ive made quite a few games in game maker however most have been lost over the years. the past month has been chaotic, I injured my knee doing martial arts and had to take some time off so i thought, why not mess around with game maker again. I messed around with GM's 3D functions and thought of an idea for a game to make. I was looking through some old school assignment task sheets when I saw the game maker assignment we were once given in grade 9. the rules were Game maker 8.1, no extensions and no Dll's vanilla game maker.

So i decided I wanted to challenge myself and make this game as if it were my assignment. I remembered back to when I did the assignment and I ended up making an RTS game (which got me an A+ all round) however I also wanted to make an FPS game, more specifically the first level of halo CE

and so after a month and a halfish of work this is what I have to show to you guys, obviously alot more to go, sounds, lighting especially ect and the whole 2nd floor.

Made in game maker 8.1

New progress!! full 3D no more billboards!

October 26 2016

September 26 2016

November 11 2016
Escape Pod Scene

screenies September 26 2016

Last edited:
AAAAAAAAAAAA this looks fun :p! I still think the people who do a 3D in game maker are crazy xD, still impressive :eek:!
as do I! ahah, we are in agreement, however I am crazy :p, but alas it was a challange, yes you can make high detail 3D games in game maker..... but for your sanity.... dont....

M

Misu

This actually looks great. You know, i recommend moving it to Game Maker Studio (current version of game maker after 8.1). In GMS, it has vertex buffering and shaders so you can make mayor improvements to it. Plus, if you buy the modules, you can export it for any device (including android and ios)
Keep up the good work.

GMWolf

aka fel666
GM isn't for 3D but it is the easiest one ;) Trust me, you don't want to try another IDE :D
I have, and trust me, its not really.
java using LibGDX for one ends up with simmilar code to GM (vertex buffers and all), but with the added structure of java. which is important for 3d games.

GM is obviously capable of 3d, As demonstrated by @James222, but its language is not suited to 3d gameplay.
Thats why most 3d game in GM stick to 2d logic....

@James222 Any chance we can get a donwload link?

I have, and trust me, its not really.
java using LibGDX for one ends up with simmilar code to GM (vertex buffers and all), but with the added structure of java. which is important for 3d games.

GM is obviously capable of 3d, As demonstrated by @James222, but its language is not suited to 3d gameplay.
Thats why most 3d game in GM stick to 2d logic....

@James222 Any chance we can get a donwload link?
there will be a download link when i polish it up a bit more, you may notice one or 2 little jumps in the video thats because of ignorable error messages showing up, however ill be posing some debugging questions on the forums soon to help finish it faster :), id say another week or 2 and ill have a download link :)

and if anyone gives me some tips in porting to studio.... then what ill do is finish this in gm 8.1 and then port it to studio to see the speed difference :)

M

Mikael.K

How did you recreate the level design? It looks so much like the original, almost like you just imported it in to GM. Impressive work.

G

Grimlock

What are you using to create the 3D environments? I have a lot of experience working with Valves Hammer Editor, I can't see creating the environment in a software like GameMaker without some sort of external 3D editing software (at least not without some insane degree of coding). I'm working with 2D in GM right now but I'm actually pretty interested in GMs 3D capabilities.

Used halo Map tools and got the geometry and textures from the game, imported into sketchup. did some texture placing, then scaling ect, Ill see if anyone figures out how I multi textured the models like I did in game maker 8 without using a mapped texture :)

Development log for 28th september 16.

Added the assault rifle firing animation, reload animation, melee animation, switching animation.

Ive run int9 the dreaded "out of memory" error. Due to the sheer resolution of each assault rifle sub image 1280Ă—720 pixels. So I have some options I would lile your feedback ladies and gents in which way I should go

A. Smaller resolution textures
B. Discard any weapon texture not being used by the player. Example if the player switches to the pistol it will discard all the previous weapon sprites and load the new ones into memory until the player switches again but this causes a 1-2 second gameplay freeze due to texture loading.

C. Swallow my pride and port to studio hahahaha

Thoughts?

Roa

Not really, atleast not for the guns. When I did this, I used simple maths to change the position and rotation forthe model. You can also use timelines. It little more work, but ultimately better. If you do do that though, vertex take up a lot less space than thousands of pixels.

Also, to make your bullets stand out better, disable lighting before rendering them and then re-enable it. The bullets should seem like they emit their own soft light.

yeah but I was also still hoping to have the animated hands :(,

but then again it still maybe possible :)

might still be cheaper to draw several models in an animation then images

Roa

there are a couple ways to tackle it. There is an actual animation shader in the market that supports bones and weights, but you have to switch to studio, and you also have the quake model format, which is pretty fair at its job. It eats memory, but its less on the vram and its easier on the CPU. Most people have enough ram if you are willing to work within its constraints. Both options work though.

Binsk

Woo! Man that looks epic!

When you challenge yourself you go all out, especially knowing how GameMaker does none of the heavy-lifting when it comes to 3D. Quite impressive!
I hope that when you get better physically you don't abandon us and instead make us a bunch of epic games to play. ;P

Roa

Thanks mate :D ive decided to take it further and replace ALL billboard enemies and allies ie, marines, elites, grunts, into actual animated 3d objects :)
Sounds good. I was about to say, if you have access to the level models, then the guns and characters skins should be nothing. If you PM me, I can set you up with a few tricks for FPS in gamemaker. I've done a lot of these fps designs and I have a lot of neat tricks up my sleeve for dealing with problems invovled with making them.

Sounds good. I was about to say, if you have access to the level models, then the guns and characters skins should be nothing. If you PM me, I can set you up with a few tricks for FPS in gamemaker. I've done a lot of these fps designs and I have a lot of neat tricks up my sleeve for dealing with problems invovled with making them.
Will do :D

Hey guys,
Okay here is the first release! Most of the game is done all that needs to be added is more sound files, granades, and alien weapons 4.5 months of work. Here is my masterpiece my first complete 3d game made entirely in game maker 8.1. There will obviously be some bugs. I really pushed gm 8.1 to its limits and had to do alot of optimizations with loading and discarding models as to not go over the out of memory limit and vertex buffer overflows. So without any further delay... download away and let me know your thoughts!!
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?badpq5j8dhbjxvq

Video:

Sovryn

Woah, this looks super sweet. I'm really digging the choppy look to the animations - it's actually quite charming! I can see it as like a different game entirely using pixel art styled textures and such but anywho - great work man!

M

Misty

Game wont load and lags my mouse. It gets to the "Halo is a property of Bungie" screen and just won't load.

M

Misty

What are your pc specs. that screen is where it loads alot of external resources. but yeah if you tell me your pc specs i can help you :)
Got a 10 year old laptop. That's all I'm saying for now.