• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

The Online GMS manual is underdeveloped - It has many bugs

OK.... this is going to be a add-on to my extension to my last bug report to the Online GMS manual that I posted in June 2021.
Please note : I use Firefox

BUG #1 : The search engine provides lists with links to the subject that work and links to subjects that do not work.

( this problem has been reported , but the problem still exists as of this post date )

BUG #2 :

I was trying to find anything in the manual about " checking for overflow " using the search engine....

In the search engine result it lists the "links" that I *could* ( see bug#1 ) click on to see what they are about...
but way at the bottom it has a statement that reads ...

"1 to 20 of 1230 results" , but I dont have any option to see the rest of those 1230 results, the scroll
down button/bar does nothing. I cant get to the rest of those search results. Thats Bug#2.

BUG #3 :

Dead links that you can click on in manual, that go nowhere.... I found at least one... but I suspect
there are more that I haven't run into yet....

For instance if you look up the subject "array_length_1d(depreciated)" and you read in the first
paragraph a link to the documentation to the function you should be reading noted as "here"
does not link to that page. I had to use the A-Z option ( again ) to get to subject "array_length"
which I *think* it was going to lead me to. I have no idea what that link would do if it was working...

The bottom line is, this version of the GMS online manual is frustrating for me to use , if I have to use workaround tactics
for some of the problems I am running into while trying to use it.

I have to use the previous version of the Online manual which is not updated with the new content that
I need, which my firefox identifies as a non-secure link to use.

Old GMS manual link

I recommend that Yo-Yo games ( or whoever ) produce a temporary off-line .pdf manual.
This would save me and others the frustration from the current online manual, until those problems are fixed.
In fact if a .pdf manual was produced, I could use it better than the online version.

Secondly, a pop-up warning should be displayed to everyone who uses this current online manual, while it is still
under development, with a big emphasis on the words "Caveat Emptor!" - just in case another ,"rubber-band"
breaks inside the Pakled's starship engine.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
A lot of the issues with the manual are (AFAIK) due to issues with the CDN and caching... The CDN cache needs purged for every new update of the manual and it seems this is not being done. Because of this, you are seeing a mix of new files and cached files, hence the odd situation with broken links and links not working. Please file bug reports for these issues. Note that the offline manual works perfectly and you can use it by simply changing the appropriate GMS2 preference: https://manual-en.yoyogames.com/Setting_Up_And_Version_Information/IDE_Preferences/General/Help.htm The guy that does the manual does an AMAZING job, so please don't hate on them as this is not their fault. Like I say, the offline version works perfectly... ;)

A lot of the issues with the manual are (AFAIK) due to issues with the CDN and caching... The CDN cache needs purged for every new update of the manual and it seems this is not being done. Because of this, you are seeing a mix of new files and cached files, hence the odd situation with broken links and links not working. Please file bug reports for these issues. Note that the offline manual works perfectly and you can use it by simply changing the appropriate GMS2 preference: https://manual-en.yoyogames.com/Setting_Up_And_Version_Information/IDE_Preferences/General/Help.htm The guy that does the manual does an AMAZING job, so please don't hate on them as this is not their fault. Like I say, the offline version works perfectly... ;)
I have nothing against the person who is creating the manual. I know it takes a long time to develop a website like this, but a warning in advance explaining that it still under development, would be a heads up for everyone , on the website.

However, why isn't there a temporary .pdf file of the manual that people can view?
Wouldn't that be a better option for the mean time for everyone waiting, while the online manual is being heated in a forge, hammered and sharpened on the anvil?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I have nothing against the person who is creating the manual. I know it takes a long time to develop a website like this, but a warning in advance explaining that it still under development, would be a heads up for everyone , on the website.
It's not under development though. The manual is full and complete and "finished" in as much as something like this ever will be... The issue is not with the manual, it's with the way it's being delivered online. And you don't need a PDF version, just use the offline version that comes with GMS, which is identical to the online version (except the bugs, which aren't because of the manual anyway).