The Nintendo Fan Thread! - The Switch Pro!

M

Misu

Welcome to the magical and whimsical world of the Nintendo. We gather all Nintendo lovers into one single thread to talk about latest Nintendo stuff and other Nostalgic discussions.

Care to talk about the Switch and its upcoming games? Go ahead!
Love to share some classic memories from NES to Wii? Be happy to!
Want to spit on Sony-scumbag faces and start a holocaust? Feel free so!

Now put on your Nintendo-lover face...
... and embrace your inner Game Boy!​

K12gamer

Games I'd like to see on SWITCH...
Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Streets of Rage, Klona, Actraiser, All Resident Evils (PC Remake versions), Ninja Gaiden (XBOX Version),
Strider, Shinobi, Tomb Raider, Madden, Rive, Virtual Fighter, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio, Guns Gore Canola, Shank, Sonic Dash,
Ashphault 8, Final Fantasy 7.

Note: I like Retro games but I think all old game remakes should be reprogrammed from the ground up so they fit the entire SWITCH / HD TV screens.
Not a fan of sidebars and other screen filling gimmicks.

They probably should have remade the Wii version of Punch Out for Switch instead...(HD Fullscreen)...

Last edited:
B

Binary Orange Studios

I absolutely LOVED the GameCube, it was my all-time favorite console until the Switch came out.

My favorite game for GCN is definitely Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, with Windwaker being a close second. TTYD is what inspired me to create games, all those years ago. The cover art brings back so many memories:

I also loved the GCN edition of "Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2", my brother and I would race each other for hours on end in that game, mostly because when physics glitches occurred, they occurred to ridiculous extents and it was hilarious to watch.

Paper Mario TTYD is one of my three most favorite games of all time. The other two being Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask (N64), and Secret of Mana (SNES).

I've never owned a console that wasn't a Nintendo console, unless you count a few games I play on PC. Not exactly because I'm not interested in the other consoles, just that I love so many Nintendo games so much that if I only buy one console, well I need my Zelda games. My Nintendo Switch is one of my favorite things, though I haven't bought many games for it yet... Spending too much time with BotW to worry about that much.

W

willthetarget

I am so excited for Smash Bros Ultimate!! 5 MORE DAYS GUYS!
Is FC sharing allowed? :) I could post mine here if anyone wants to play Smash this weekend and/or Mario Kart in the meantime!

ElectroMan

Jack of All Shades
My game catalogue is mostly made up of Nintendo games, or at least games offered for a Nintendo system. Some of my favourite games range from Pokémon Crystal and Warioland 3 on the GBC, to the Super Smash Bros. series up to 3DS (Brawl being my favourite, controversially enough). I'm no fanboy, as I dismiss any fandom to the extent that they are a detriment to improvement and innovation (specially the Smash community, geez). And stagnation is anathema to what I want Nintendo do realize. With that being said, I'm the first to criticize the company on its lazy Internet functionalities, downright abhorrent dynamic with content creators and counterproductive way of handling 3rd party game studios. The latter is somehow ameliorated with the advent of the Switch (which I'd argue is a big reason it has been selling so well), and recently the Creator's Program they had going on was discontinued too. I'm happy to see Nintendo get back on track and reclaim its territory in the game industry of today, but there are still some stuff (like the Internet thing) where they stick to a traditionalist and antiquated approach.

EDIT: And yes I'm calling out the fanboyism that reeks from this thread. Not because I'm a Nintendo hater, but because I want Nintendo to succeed. I mean, the holocaust? What the heck.

Mercerenies

I'll go ahead and chime in. TTYD was an excellent game, and by far the best Paper Mario game. Super Paper Mario was a thoroughly enjoyable title for me, despite many others disagreeing with that premise. Sticker Star... meh. In terms of personal favorites, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Luigi's Mansion. It's a short game, but I've played through it countless times. Just something about it gives me a good hit of that childhood nostalgia that I don't really get anywhere else. Also, Super Mario Sunshine, but that's mainly because I love beachside settings.

Also, my avatar is now sufficiently Nintendo-ified. Is this what you wanted, Misu? Is this what you wanted?

Pfap

Hey yea!! I forgot about TTYD! That moment you join a wrestling league though... damn, can't not smile when I think about it.

Nintendo is the greatest game developer on the face of the Earth. No other company out there has a catalog as venerable, creative, ground-breaking, polished, or fun as they do. They're in a class of their own at the top of the heap.

The end.

I also love oldschool Squaresoft and Enix (and quartet), along with Konami and Capcom and others. Nobody else has put out the insane amount of pure gold as Nintendo, though.

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
Clearly, we just need to make a paper Mario ttyd thread. Probably my second favorite rpg, next to earthbound.

Pfap

Clearly, we just need to make a paper Mario ttyd thread. Probably my second favorite rpg, next to earthbound.
The wrestling story line did it for me. Mini Yoshi has so many great lines too!

"Huh? My name? Lessee... I just came outta that egg, so I guess I don't have a name yet. You seem fired up about it, so why don't you gimme one? Make it cool, OK?"
I literally know someone the doctor named, because he was an accident baby and his parents just derped out.....

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
@Pfap my mom loves ttyd, and called the Yoshi "shortses" because of his shorts. He will always be shortses to me. Though, one time I got a black one, and called him "emoshi".

M

Misty

Shigeru Miyamoto is my God because he saved the entire game industry. Do you know in the 90's the news and square-types (american types) were blaspheming gamers and saying Gamers were evil people and a menace to society? They were trying to ban games like they are trying to ban guns.

With the Mario games Shigeru changed that all and said not all gamers are savages. society no longer spread bad news and blasphemy about games.

Second, business side, gamers were losing interest in games and sick of crappy games, he made great games to increase the amount of interest in the games community, increasing sales and saving the entire industry...

Shigeru is probably a Time Lord, sent to this world to save our planet because imagine a world where the fuddy duddies got their way, imagine if it was illegal to play violent games, this world would be a lost cause... I believe we need a national holiday for this man.

M

Misty

Scary thought. A "violent game" is subjective. Look at this poor guy:
Mario is violent but it got the fuddy duddies off our back because its cartoonish. I don't think there's anything wrong with games with blood in it it's just in the 90's the fuddie duddies were trying to say games must be banned and using the idea of gamers as savages as reasoning.

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
Great. You said the word "gun", so now this going to turn into a big debate about gun laws. Man, though. When Miyamoto dies, what's Nintendo gonna do? It would be like Batman dying. Gotham city's bat signal would be rendered useless.

Hey, 'tendo should have a miyamoto signal!

Great. You said the word "gun", so now this going to turn into a big debate about gun laws. Man, though. When Miyamoto dies, what's Nintendo gonna do? It would be like Batman dying. Gotham city's bat signal would be rendered useless.

Hey, 'tendo should have a miyamoto signal!
Miyamoto is one of the best developers in the world (probably *the* best), but he's had a more backseat training role at Nintendo for over a decade now. Nintendo is packed to the brim with incredible designers, artists, and composers. Their *janitors* are probably better game designers than the average AAA developers of other companies. Nintendo will be just fine, even after Miyamoto hangs up his hat, hahah.

TheouAegis

Miyamoto disapproves of ultra-violent video games. He disliked Goldeneye 007. Legend of Zelda was violent, yes, but it was sword-and-sorcery violence. Murasame Castle had "historic Japan" violence. Donkey Kong was indirectly violent in that the goal in most of the levels wasn't to beat DK, but to avoid his attacks and save Pauline until the end when you destroyed the building under DK's feet. And Super Mario Bros. only got violent when Mario got a flower (he beats enemies with flower power?); the rest of the time, he bounces off their heads or just runs past them shoving them aside. Super Mario Bros. 3 took it a step further by having the game set on a stage, highlighting that the enemies don't die, they are swept aside off the stage. Star Fox wasn't even that violent; all the enemies you shot were ambiguous, faceless non-humanoid aliens. Pikmin is too cute to be considered violent. There was nothing violent about NintenDogs. Pilotwings? No violence. Mario Galaxy? Not much violence. Wii Fit? You only kill yourself if you're fat. Steel Diver is as violent as it is distant and probably much less played as well. lol But in 80% of Nintendo's projects, Miyamoto was just a producer, supervisor, or technical advisor.

flerpyderp

Miyamoto disapproves of ultra-violent video games. He disliked Goldeneye 007. Legend of Zelda was violent, yes, but it was sword-and-sorcery violence. Murasame Castle had "historic Japan" violence. Donkey Kong was indirectly violent in that the goal in most of the levels wasn't to beat DK, but to avoid his attacks and save Pauline until the end when you destroyed the building under DK's feet. And Super Mario Bros. only got violent when Mario got a flower (he beats enemies with flower power?); the rest of the time, he bounces off their heads or just runs past them shoving them aside. Super Mario Bros. 3 took it a step further by having the game set on a stage, highlighting that the enemies don't die, they are swept aside off the stage. Star Fox wasn't even that violent; all the enemies you shot were ambiguous, faceless non-humanoid aliens. Pikmin is too cute to be considered violent. There was nothing violent about NintenDogs. Pilotwings? No violence. Mario Galaxy? Not much violence. Wii Fit? You only kill yourself if you're fat. Steel Diver is as violent as it is distant and probably much less played as well. lol But in 80% of Nintendo's projects, Miyamoto was just a producer, supervisor, or technical advisor.
In Metroid, the goal was to neutralize the threat of hostile forces attempting to utilize a deadly parasite as a biological weapon. In Metroid II, the goal was to bring an entire species to exctinction.

I always thought Metroid stood out a bit from the other Nintendo games. :p

MissingNo.

I always thought Metroid stood out a bit from the other Nintendo games. :p
And then there is the Fire Emblem series in which its main thing is that any of your units can suddenly be killed and be dead permanently.
And they aren't faceless suits, they all have their own back stories and personalities.

TheouAegis

Now you're just talking about Nintendo games, not Shigeru Miyamoto games. Miyamoto didn't work on Metroid nor Fire Emblem. That was a different department; Miyamoto was in Nintendo EAD, those were made by R&D1 (and Intelligent Systems). Besides, in Metroid 2, you save one of the Metroids because Samus isn't a heartless killing machine.

And rFie Emblem teaches you that if you are going to get yourself into a fight, you better make sure you can get out of it. lol

MissingNo.

Now you're just talking about Nintendo games, not Shigeru Miyamoto games. Miyamoto didn't work on Metroid nor Fire Emblem.
Well I didn't think it was a Shigeru Miyamoto game I was just responding to what he said in that Metroid stood out for a Nintendo franchise. Which I agree considering
it's dark and mysterious tone but in my opinion Fire Emblem sticks out even more when standing next to the other Nintendo franchises when you consider all the death
that is allowed to happen to the player. Another thing that makes Fire Emblem stick out as a Nintendo franchise is the strong focus on story, wheres in most Nintendo
franchises it is minimal and only there to give a reason for the gameplay.

And rFie Emblem teaches you that if you are going to get yourself into a fight, you better make sure you can get out of it.
True but even so, one wrong move is all it takes to completely kill a character.

It makes sense why the idea of Super Smash Bros was initially rejected by Shigeru Miyamoto because of him being against violence. I'm just glad Iwata and Sakurai
had the faith in the idea to go ahead and make a demo and I'm also glad Shigeru Miyamoto was open minded enough to change his mind after seeing the demo.

flerpyderp

Now you're just talking about Nintendo games, not Shigeru Miyamoto games. Miyamoto didn't work on Metroid nor Fire Emblem. That was a different department; Miyamoto was in Nintendo EAD, those were made by R&D1 (and Intelligent Systems).
Good point, I didn't know this but it explains a lot.

woodsmoke

This belongs in the Nintendo thread. Please stop spamming.

Also home computers were booming during the so called video game crash.
And if it hadn't been Nintendo someone else would have filled the void.

Last edited:
This belongs in the Nintendo thread. Please stop spamming.

Also home computers were thriving in Europe during the so called video game crash (which only took place in the USA and only affected consoles). And if it hadn't been Nintendo someone else would have filled the void.
In gaming,
Nintendo >>> Commodore
Nintendo >> Sega
Nintendo > Sony

Who was going to fill the gap? Nintendo started the modern gaming era with the Famicom and Super Mario Bros. I'm pretty sure the game market crashing in America is a pretty huge deal, too. Kind of a big market, right?

MissingNo.

You opinion is valid, but I personally disagree. Home-computers and PCs always had the better games IMHO.

How do you define the "modern gaming era"?
Now who is the one spamming? I don't oppose the conversation you are trying to have but I do oppose others who try to act like moderators.

Anyways I think he is defining the modern gaming era as post USA video game crash which I can see why because Nintendo has had massive influence on most modern titles.
But like you said PCs were still very much a thing and had their own fair share of influential titles.

Home-computers and PCs always had the better game
Your opinion is valid too, but it's not the majority, going by reviews or sales. Most of the best rated/selling games of all time are console games. That's important when talking about who was going to step up to save an industry!

How do you define the "modern gaming era"?
I've seen it called that, so I assumed it was commonly accepted as such, because it made sense to me. Googling to check though, all sorts of things pop up, so maybe I just found a few like-minded people, hahah!

The Famicom started modern gaming, in my opinion, because it was the first console full of games that still hold up in concept and execution to this day. Mario 3 and Mother are still perfect games. The original Zelda's ethos directly translates to Breath of the Wild's, hailed as one of the best games ever made over thirty years later. Metroid sparked a genre and/or franchise that are still wildly loved and successful to this day (as did Mario, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and many others). Nintendo has had a ridiculously huge influence on the gaming industry ever since they jumped into it. The original Mario is still a masterclass of game design. I think Nintendo appearing on the gaming landscape changed it forever, and I think it started the modern era of gaming for the reasons I listed above.

That's the reason Nintendo can still sell roms that are over thirty years old and make mountains of cash doing it, while Commodore, Atari, Amiga et al are either competely dead or dried out husks.

Edit: to be clear, I grew up with an Atari, C64, Amiga, and DOS/Windows PCs growing up, and I loved and love all of them. I just think Nintendo entering the industry was the start of a new epoch. 90% of the indie games out there are straight homages to Nintendo properties. *Every* developer knows their games, and EVERY developer has learned from their games, even if it's indirectly.

There was music before Bach started composing, but there was music after.

Last edited:

MissingNo.

I just think Nintendo entering the industry was the start of a new epoch. 90% of the indie games out there are straight homages to Nintendo properties. *Every* developer knows their games, and EVERY developer has learned from their games, even if it's indirectly.
Yeah, I commonly see people say PC has the best lineup of games compared to consoles which I do agree with, PC is my favorite platform but people forget
that most great PC games owe their very existence to Nintendo games and the developers that grew up with them.

EDIT: I can't say there is as many classic Atari inspired games nowadays. I suppose maybe the popular scrolling shooter genre? But they might be more inspired by classic Namco games
I'm not sure.

MissingNo.

Sooner or later, it will reach to its highest peak and dominate the ps4 in sales average. I still have high hopes.
I feel we should be celebrating the Switches success rather than being spiteful against Sony and the PS4. I agree with Electroman in how the starter post reeks
of fanboyism, I love Nintendo and love talking about Nintendo things but I also love Sony, but the original post apparently says I'm a Sony scumbag.
Doesn't exactly make me feel welcomed.

This honestly just makes the Nintendo fan community look bad instead of promoting a chill environment to share fond Nintendo memories.

EDIT: Also I don't think Nintendo would want to be associated with the holocaust.

M

Misty

Mario is more violent than goldeneye.

I feel we should be celebrating the Switches success rather than being spiteful against Sony and the PS4. I agree with Electroman in how the starter post reeks
of fanboyism, I love Nintendo and love talking about Nintendo things but I also love Sony, but the original post apparently says I'm a Sony scumbag.
Doesn't exactly make me feel welcomed.

This honestly just makes the Nintendo fan community look bad instead of promoting a chill environment to share fond Nintendo memories.

EDIT: Also I don't think Nintendo would want to be associated with the holocaust.
I think the whole thread is a little tongue-in-cheek. A throwback to the legendary "SEGA DOES WHAT NINTENDONT" console wars of the 90s.

I absolutely adore Sony and Sega (and Microsoft, for my PCs growing up), but I won't mention *that* much in *this* thread, hahah.

M

Misty

I think the whole thread is a little tongue-in-cheek. A throwback to the legendary "SEGA DOES WHAT NINTENDONT" console wars of the 90s.

I absolutely adore Sony and Sega (and Microsoft, for my PCs growing up), but I won't mention *that* much in *this* thread, hahah.
Basically I think he wanted to slaughter all sony fans to avenge michael jackson.

S

spitler

From what I understand, Shigeru Miyamoto asked the developers of Goldeneye if the wounded (or dead) soldiers could shake hands with the player in hospital at the end of the game. This may just be a rumour of course. But I surely love Nintendo and it's great to support Nintendo Corporation.

Niels

I'm glad that Nintendo is loosening up a bit with their "must be fun for the whole family" attitude, so I can play the binding of Isaac, mother Russia bleeds and other violent games on the switch:)

S

spitler

True, although that was about Zombies. I think that Nintendo have certain conventions for removing violence, such as with ManHunt for the Wii.