Game Jam The Micro Jam - THEME: Crazy Party

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
You ranked it 5? This is depressing. Also, my archery game was the worst out of the 3 games, why did you pick that one?
Because it was the first one. You didn't mention which one you wanted to be voted on.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
I obeyed the rules and even submitted a GM editable.
No, not that. If you have, say, 3 games, and you don't tell me which one you want to be ranked by, then I'll choose the first one. That's what I've done here.

M

Mocgames998

One question I have is, why'd Misu only use Mr. Japan, and not the other one instead?

S

Storyteller

@matharoo thank you!
I am looking at doing some math based games soon. I thought about it for a couple of days, looked up some things in the manual, browsed the forums a bit and learned about keyboard string and a few other text functions. I am glad I was able to get something in and learn a new trick. I was going to have 4 problems, add, subtract, multiply and divide. Being pressed for time, I just went with a simple question that fit the theme. Marc and I were chatting, finishing up our games at the same time, so that was motivating and we got to check each others games. I think he really hit it with Make A Wish, playing both so far, I think we both got about the same difficulty level, its hard the first time or so, but you get it after that.

@Misu here, I just got up for the day, if you fix any bugs in your main GMCWare, or just release another, or you guys just want to look at the code, my project folder is this:

http://manastar.net/lorequest/cookies.zip

M

Misu

One question I have is, why'd Misu only use Mr. Japan, and not the other one instead?
Because the rule states that you can submit multiple entries but only one would be qualified. I chose MrJapan because it seem to be very resembled to an actual microgame (even if both of your entries were too easy and no effort put).

As for my opinion for it, you could have the soda can smaller and spawn at a unpredictable random spot on the screen. Could lift up the challenge a little. It was a good entry.

C

CHOPSTEEQ

REVIEWS

Here are my rankings:

Of course I'm not including mine.

And here are the reviews:

I didn't miss any game, did I?

Now let's see what you guys think of my game :p :D
Well I was pretty sure I saw it was generally agreed upon that it was WASD/Arrow Keys and an activation button (which I figured was obviously unnecessary for shaking). Maybe I misunderstood!

M

Misty

No, not that. If you have, say, 3 games, and you don't tell me which one you want to be ranked by, then I'll choose the first one. That's what I've done here.
I said choose your favorite. I say nothing of the first one.

F

Freedom2Fight

Are the voters... the contestants themselves? Shouldn't the GMCWare be exposed to the community or something?

F

Freedom2Fight

Oh. Then, I would like to suggest a link to the GMCWare and other entries be provided at the main page of this thread. If its not there already.

Notify voters that the entry and it's creator is shown on the window of the program.

HayManMarc

Oh. Then, I would like to suggest a link to the GMCWare and other entries be provided at the main page of this thread. If its not there already.

Notify voters that the entry and it's creator is shown on the window of the program.
I agree, @Misu , there should be a link to the GMCWare game on the OP. Easy for anyone to find.

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
Urg, missed this! This mini-game Jam was a great idea Misu!
Hope to see it happen again and for me to enter next time!

Micah_DS

I totally spaced on the micro jam because I was busy working on some other game and it grabbed my attention so much that I just forgot about pretty much everything else. Both a good thing and a bad thing, I guess.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
I said choose your favorite. I say nothing of the first one.
It doesn't work like that. You have to specify. That's like writing 3 answers to 1 question in an exam and then writing "Dear checker, please give me marks on the one that is correct".

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
It doesn't work like that. You have to specify.
In fairness, Misu's rules weren't clear about this. They say "Submit any amount of entries you like of your own microgame. <snip> Every finished entry will get to go into a special project called the GMCWare..."

They also say "only one entry will be qualified for voting", but there's no indication how that will be determined. Too late to do anything now, but it would've been wiser to make this clear from the beginning.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
In fairness, Misu's rules weren't clear about this. They say "Submit any amount of entries you like of your own microgame. <snip> Every finished entry will get to go into a special project called the GMCWare..."

They also say "only one entry will be qualified for voting", but there's no indication how that will be determined. Too late to do anything now, but it would've been wiser to make this clear from the beginning.
Ah yes. It's all confusion. I do get what Misty is saying, and I understand, but I don't have the time to play all of his/her games, pick out my favorite and review it.

HayManMarc

reviews and rankings (in lower case because I'm only ranking the ones that made it into the GMCWare):

7. Freedom2Fight Multiple Games
Not horrible, but there was at least one that I just couldn't figure out at all. (errrgh!)

6. Mercerenies Pass the Bridge
It was okay - but sounds woulda made it better.

5. Misu Ready to Shoot
It was okay - maybe needed more than just two differing targets? I dunno.

4. Mocgames998 Get the Soda Pop
Sounds were great, loved the choice of music and the victory sound.

3. luizdev Carnival Clown
This really stood out to me for some reason. Woulda scored higher if only it had sounds.

2. CHOPSTEEQ Shake!
Love the sounds in this. Especially the victory... the subdued "yay". Makes me laugh every time.

1. Matharoo Future Shuttle Pilot X
This was smooth, fancy looking, and easy to understand, however quite challenging. Especially when those spaces got really small. Great sounds, too.

BONUS AWARD! -- goes to Misu for the awesome GMCWare compilation! Perfect music, and nice touch with the scoring and making a game out of it! Bravo!

I want to make it clear that every one of these little micro games were great and fit well in the GMCWare. If they were all to be scored, the scores would have been really close. It was difficult to put them in a numbered list - from best to worst. There really is no 'worst', in my opinion.

Apologies to the ones that didn't make it into the GMCWare. I figured since your game wasn't included in there, some technicality about the rules or format tripped you up, therefore disqualifying your entry. This is only my opinion, no hard feelings meant towards anyone. Better luck next time!

This was fun. Let's do another one. :)

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
1. Matharoo Future Shuttle Pilot X
This was smooth, fancy looking, and easy to understand, however quite challenging. Especially when those spaces got really small. Great sounds, too.
Is this karma? Is my game first on your list because your game was first on my list? xD Thanks though.

HayManMarc

Is this karma? Is my game first on your list because your game was first on my list? xD Thanks though.
No, tho it may seem that way to some. Your game was the most pleasant, visually and audibly, in my opinion. Plus, it posed a challenge that kept me trying over and over without inducing rage quit. Eventually, I was able to pass with victory, and it was quite satisfying.

M

Misu

No reviews apparently (I dont have the time to dedicate on that but I'll leave a small feedback atleast)
My votes in order...

1. Matharoo
- Excellent artwork, excellent difficulty, excellent microgame. Nothing much to say.

2. CHOPSTEEQ
- Has that true WarioWare microgame feel in it. Very simple. Even if the goal was too easy, it was challenging as well base upon time limit.

3. HayManMarc
- Does have a good challenge indeed, although it looks more like a cheap-quality Warioware microgame. Could have been slightly good if the cake randomize the height for everytime you play it.

4. Freedom2Fight
- Was an interesting idea to provide different (randomize) objectives for this. Each purpose seems well thoughout for a series of microgames. Unfortunately they end too quickly in unexpective ways.

5. luizdev
- Excellent idea... but the goal is too easy. So easy that its a challenge to fail.

6. Mocgames998
- Has that good robust WarioWare feel into it and objective idea fits well. Only problem is that its too easy to pass; could have randomize the beer positions and size to make it more challenging atleast.

7. Mercerenies
- For a last minute made game, it was okay. Its too easy to pass though and the whole display is mediocre.

8. Storyteller
- Seems alright. Not difficult at all. Although the whole idea is something you cant resemble to a Warioware microgame. Its confusing on knowing what to do, including you only have 7 seconds to read the instructions and then do the math. Not quite the best microgame you can get.

9. Misty
- This is plain disturbing and its not even a single microgame; its an entire horrific GMCWare of its own... I cant really say more.

M

Misty

9. Misty
- This is plain disturbing and its not even a single microgame; its an entire horrific GMCWare of its own... I cant really say more.
Disturbing? Seriously?
It is fake 2d blood and a bow and arrow.
Does the original DOOM disturb you and give you nightmares?

M

Misu

Eh... Winners:

1. Matharoo
2. HayManMarc
3. CHOPSTEEQ

Honorable Mentions: Luizdev and Misu!

Thank you all for participating! This has been a wonderful event, yet messy, but we got it working at least. Congratz to everyone!

Sorry if this could have been better but I tried.

S

Storyteller

Im so sorry I havent gotten to ratings and reviews yet. I just got rested from finals. I tried playing the game this weekend, but it comes up all in one file, its random what game you get in what order so its very hard to review. I will need to download each file by itself and review them. I will try to get to this over the weekend so you guys can at least get feedback!

EDIT : reviews for the ones I could find.

Download .exe here
Download project source here

snip

Anyway, this was a fun idea, and I'm looking forward to the final product!
This is in fact about as fun as a magic 8-ball. Your game does not reset if you get it to say Yay!, it stays on Yay! the next time and doesnt reset in your exe. Im not sure about the GMC Ware App. -1 cookie. Your arts were as crude as mines, +1 kool-aid you party animal.

finally did it, i have finished the game with the art made by https://twitter.com/DidiGameBoy

link to my full microgame:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ox4bwza224pik54/GMCWare_Base_luizdev.zip
good clown, you hit this one dead center. very nice, missed it first time in GMC Ware app, but got it in the exe except 1 out of 10 when I let it slip. Good difficulty, arts are priceless, +2 cookies.

My game is called William's Tell.

There are 3 games in it.

snip

hosta: http://host-a.net/u/Misty1/williamstell3in1.exe
mirror: https://www.file-upload.com/eeevf0ypulhl
I couldnt get past the first game :(
the difficulty might be a tad high, but it looks like you put a lot of work into it. have some kool aid.

Here's my submission.

Too lazy to think of a name by matharoo

Here's the zip with the exe: Dropbox

And here's the GMS2 project in case anyone's interested: Dropbox
arts are phenomenal, killer graphics there. its really hard to win, it took me several tries to get it, but there was no victory indicator...

+2 cookies for you. and some kool aid

I think you got this one here. maybe have the cake and watergun start at different places, so its not so predictable, or multiple layers of cake with a few candles on each one. very good. +2 cookies and a kool aid.

Mercenaries: I am fail, I could not do out but lose. have a cookie.

Last edited by a moderator:

luizdev

Hi, sorry for lose the review time, i was busy, actually i am still working hard on my main job. I am pretty happy for receive an honorable mention, thank you all for your reviews, it means a lot