Game Jam The Micro Jam - THEME: Crazy Party

M

Mocgames998

Just because I could, here's a second one: (All assets start with mocgamesB to differentiate from the assets in the previous one)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1pohu19uzzrUWd3UWlOUE91SHc
Get Mr. Japan to the soda pop with your mouse to get the party started! (Note, the game automatically places the mouse cursor above Mr. Japan; you don't need to manually move the mouse into the view window.)
skreenieB.png

Last edited by a moderator:

luizdev

Here is a screenshot from the game i made with a friend for this micro jam. We loved the idea and got inspired by the wario ware for game boy advanced.
print.png

C

CHOPSTEEQ

Download .exe here
Download project source here

On planet Xiolidiz, creatures too horrific to describe in full (beyond their decidedly lumpy, human shaped appendages) have developed devices not too dissimilar to what we know as a "Magic 8 Ball." The beings gather at their abodes, crowd behind the current user, and look on as it shakes the ball. It truly is one of the universe's greatest curiosities.

OTN_8Ball_2017-05-07_17-52-52.png OTN_8Ball_2017-05-07_17-53-03.png

Anyway, this was a pretty interesting challenge. I wanted to limit myself to just the default object, however, getting the background to be animated with the "dancing lights" proved maybe impossible using just the code, so I ended up making a second object just for the room. I'm not sure if it was just me, but I tried just about every other way I could think of.

Some of the feedback that I got was that the crude graphics I drew actually give off a WarioWare vibe, and someone commented that the quick dance beat I threw together as music sounded a lot like something in the WarioWare GBA game. That's pretty cool to me, since it was unintentional.

Anyway, this was a fun idea, and I'm looking forward to the final product!

JackTurbo

Was too busy packing for the house move to get any dev time this weekend but just realised the deadline is US time, so thanks to the time difference (im in the UK) I should be able to knock something together tonight after wok! :)

M

Misu

EVERYONE!

This is an urgent announcement!

It appears GMS2 does not allow easy export of projects into another GMS2 project!
I just notice this now and it turns out all the files submitted are not loaded properly.

So to resolve this, you need to submit your entries as YYZ formats instead. You can do that by clicking on the file tab and selecting "Export Project" .

This is very unfortunate, mostly the program does not export easily like how GMS1 used to.

Anyway, hope you all got the memo and be able to send the entries again before the deadline. Sorry for that.

EDIT: IT appears the resources still exist in the folders you submitted so there is a way to resolve this but I have to put more work into it by draging the files one by one into the main GMCWare project file.

EDIT2: HA! Turns out I was doing it wrong. I forgot to extract the zipped folders. Tahts why it wasnt working. My bad everyone. LOL

Last edited:
M

Misu

OK THIS IS FOR REAL!

GMCWare wont happen. GMS2 does not allow a proper exporting option for individual resources and transfering files to another project is broken (GMS2 doesnt allow to apply changes into the project file)

Therefore, your submissions will have to exe. Im very sorry for all this. It would have been easier if it was GMS1.4 but this problem persist in GMS2.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
@Misu

Then you can make a batch file with all the exe's in the same folder and use it to run them sequentially:
Code:
@echo off
matharoo-game.exe
misu-game.exe
jackturbo-game.exe
EDIT: Okay so with @Misu's permission I am in charge of collecting all the exe's and batching them. Kindly send the exe's my way.

EDIT 2: Okay so as of this post I have 6 (but adding 3 only) games from here:
  • mocgames
  • another mocgames (NOT INCLUDED, because only one game is accepted per user)
  • freedom2fight (NOT INCLUDED, because it's an installer) @Freedom2Fight
  • williamstell3in1 (NOT INCLUDED, because the close button doesn't close the game.) @Misty
  • luizdev
  • matharoo
Please inform me if I missed any. I'll keep an eye out for any games posted here after this.

Last edited:
M

Misty

@Misu

Then you can make a batch file with all the exe's in the same folder and use it to run them sequentially:
Code:
@echo off
matharoo-game.exe
misu-game.exe
jackturbo-game.exe
EDIT: Okay so with @Misu's permission I am in charge of collecting all the exe's and batching them. Kindly send the exe's my way.

EDIT 2: Okay so as of this post I have 6 (but adding 3 only) games from here:
  • mocgames
  • another mocgames (NOT INCLUDED, because only one game is accepted per user)
  • freedom2fight (NOT INCLUDED, because it's an installer) @Freedom2Fight
  • williamstell3in1 (NOT INCLUDED, because the close button doesn't close the game.) @Misty
  • luizdev
  • matharoo
Please inform me if I missed any. I'll keep an eye out for any games posted here after this.
Didn't know there was a rule saying you have to use the close button.
I purposely disabled it because I didnt want people accidentally closing the game (it's a shooter.)
You can close it with ESC so I don't see what the problem is.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Didn't know there was a rule saying you have to use the close button.
I purposely disabled it because I didnt want people accidentally closing the game (it's a shooter.)
You can close it with ESC so I don't see what the problem is.
Well, for the batching you need to close the games with the close button, for consistency. So you need to enable the close button and submit another exe.

M

Misu

GUYS! It appears that I received an information very late about how to properly transfer the files to the GMS2 program. It appears there was another misunderstanding by me. And because a horrible hassle I had gone through just because I didnt get the correct information on how to do such process, I want to know if you all okay if I extend the jam for 12 hours more so most of you who submitted could hand me in the source project as well. This is to help clear out most of the problems I had during the transfer process. This also gives time for those who havent participated.

If you think thats okay, then let me know as soon as possible, otherwise, we would have to go through the other idea, which is not very cool because it can time out for a few seconds before playing another exe.

@Misty @Mercerenies @matharoo

M

Misty

GUYS! It appears that I received an information very late about how to properly transfer the files to the GMS2 program. It appears there was another misunderstanding by me. And because a horrible hassle I had gone through just because I didnt get the correct information on how to do such process, I want to know if you all okay if I extend the jam for 12 hours more so most of you who submitted could hand me in the source project as well. This is to help clear out most of the problems I had during the transfer process. This also gives time for those who havent participated.

If you think thats okay, then let me know as soon as possible, otherwise, we would have to go through the other idea, which is not very cool because it can time out for a few seconds before playing another exe.

Ok i uploaded a new one. Should close with the close button now. http://host-a.net/u/Misty1/williamstell3in1_2.exe

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.

Okay so that means there will be a GMCWare program? That's great!

HayManMarc

I think it's OK. (I just started mine. :p)

C

CHOPSTEEQ

Fine by me. It's a small group of us, so the more the merrier. My original post has links to both the .exe and source zip, so I should be covered either way.

M

Mocgames998

So, I assume I don't need to upload exes of my microgame(s), right?

So you figured out a way to combine all of the projects into one compilation-project now? I'm just wondering because that's what drew me to the jam, and when I saw it wasn't being done, I didn't feel like making a game. But if that is now going to happen I can whip something up :)

M

Misu

So you figured out a way to combine all of the projects into one compilation-project now? I'm just wondering because that's what drew me to the jam, and when I saw it wasn't being done, I didn't feel like making a game. But if that is now going to happen I can whip something up :)
Good because the jam is extended for another 12 hours. You have time to make something within that range :)

S

Storyteller

oh wow, I was just about to apologize for not getting something in for this I had a final due last night instead of tomorrow night.. I actually still have this open, I'll see if I can get something together by morning.

EDIT:

ok, here you go, this is the game I made in an hour:
http://manastar.net/lorequest/cookiee.zip

M

Misu

Finally, Jam is over!

As soon as I finish polishing the GMCWare, we can begin voting phase. If you want to take a headstart on voting, do so. Just remember the guidelines and vote for the top 3 best.

Good luck everyone!

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Finally, Jam is over!

As soon as I finish polishing the GMCWare, we can begin voting phase. If you want to take a headstart on voting, do so. Just remember the guidelines and vote for the top 3 best.

Good luck everyone!
Maybe we should have categories for the winners, like Best Graphics, Best Gameplay, Best Creative Use, etc

M

Misu

@matharoo I dunno, this is a very small jam but if you all like to, it would be a personal option only.

Anyway, I got the GMCWare up and running. Everyone's entries have been included into the GMCWare (except for Misty {who practical submitted his own GMCWare instead of a single microgame} and Storyteller {who only submitted an exe})

You can download it here

NOTE: Probably the font doesnt work but I cant tell. If you see the font is generic Arial or something by default, let me know.

C

CHOPSTEEQ

@matharoo I dunno, this is a very small jam but if you all like to, it would be a personal option only.

Anyway, I got the GMCWare up and running. Everyone's entries have been included into the GMCWare (except for Misty {who practical submitted his own GMCWare instead of a single microgame} and Storyteller {who only submitted an exe})

You can download it here

NOTE: Probably the font doesnt work but I cant tell. If you see the font is generic Arial or something by default, let me know.
How is voting going to work? Do we submit our rankings in a PM or make a post here?

HayManMarc

@Misu -- The GMCWare game with supposedly all our games isn't working for me. The first game works, but then only black screens come on afterwards.

EDIT:
ok -- after retrying a few times I got some other games to come up. But there seems to be a few games that aren't working which only produce black screens.

M

Misty

You can download it here

In the rules you said you were allowed to submit multiple games.
If my multiple games was a problem, you should have told me yesterday, because I could have uploaded a single game of your preference.

M

Misu

How is voting going to work? Do we submit our rankings in a PM or make a post here?
Do it here if you like to avoid confusion

@Misu -- The GMCWare game with supposedly all our games isn't working for me. The first game works, but then only black screens come on afterwards.

EDIT:
ok -- after retrying a few times I got some other games to come up. But there seems to be a few games that aren't working which only produce black screens.
I notice it now and its due to a bug in GMS2 that treats temporary variables strangely. Luckily I manage to bypass this in the new update I uploaded.

In the rules you said you were allowed to submit multiple games.
If my multiple games was a problem, you should have told me yesterday, because I could have uploaded a single game of your preference.
That was a misunderstanding. When I said multiple games, I meant entries. I mean pretty much most of everyone here got the idea right.
I guess I should have told you on time but I was too occupied fixing the Main project. I have to apologize for that.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Yay my game comes first! okay it's random

Okay I played them and have to say this GMCWare all together is really fun. Especially the 3 lives system. Never saw it coming, but a great addition. I think I'll rank them after playing.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
REVIEWS

Here are my rankings:
The wise men once said:
Of course I'm not including mine.

And here are the reviews:
and then the people said:
9. Mocgames998 Get the Soda Pop

No real challenge. Just move your mouse over.

8. CHOPSTEEQ Shake!

Quite a challenge. Though no controls help. I was shaking my mouse at first.

7. Mercerenies Pass the Bridge

I kind of like it, but no real challenge. I never lost even once. The bridge should've been faster.

6. luizdev Hit the... something

Like it. No real challenge though. Never lost. Should've been faster.

5. Misty Archery

I really like how it's done. Shooting at the right spot is pretty hard, but satisfactory when you hit it. Love the winning animation. Could've been more challenging if the target spawned at a random place each time you played it.

4. Freedom2Fight Multiple Games

Nicely done. Like them. But it doesn't really seem like a challenge - gets pretty boring after a time. Must be me though..

3. Storyteller Use your brain

Confusing at first. But after that you start to get it right. Nice idea, challenges the mind. Not too hard.

2. Misu Ready to Shoot

Love it. Nice idea.. Never lost though, so maybe it's on the easier side. Maybe a 9x9 grid would be better... idk.

1. HayManMarc Make a wish

Love it. I honestly DON'T know why. But I just love it. I have no words - not because it's that great but because I have no idea why I like it so much.
I didn't miss any game, did I?

Now let's see what you guys think of my game :p :D

Last edited:
M

Misty

Do it here if you like to avoid confusion

I notice it now and its due to a bug in GMS2 that treats temporary variables strangely. Luckily I manage to bypass this in the new update I uploaded.

That was a misunderstanding. When I said multiple games, I meant entries. I mean pretty much most of everyone here got the idea right.
I guess I should have told you on time but I was too occupied fixing the Main project. I have to apologize for that.
It just doesn't seem fair that I am disqualified. I gave you the GM editable and you said you were going to put each game in individdually. Then you suddenly changed it on me and now I'm suddenly disqualified when you could have just told me yesterday? Not cool man. I'm going through a lot of crap in my life right now and this is another roadblock just what I need to deal with.

M

Misu

It just doesn't seem fair that I am disqualified. I gave you the GM editable and you said you were going to put each game in individdually. Then you suddenly changed it on me and now I'm suddenly disqualified when you could have just told me yesterday? Not cool man. I'm going through a lot of crap in my life right now and this is another roadblock just what I need to deal with.
Woah! Who said you were disqualified?

You are not disqualified, you just simply cant get your game into the GMCWare. Thats all... People should still vote for your entry...

M

Misty

Woah! Who said you were disqualified?

You are not disqualified, you just simply cant get your game into the GMCWare. Thats all... People should still vote for your entry...
Oh. Well i looked in matharoo and he didn't seem to vote on mine.

Anyway, people say the GMCware isn't running so can you compile a new one with mine in it? The file is this: https://ufile.io/mawu0

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Oh. Well i looked in matharoo and he didn't seem to vote on mine.
Oh I actually didn't play yours. I only played the ones in the GMCWare program. I'll play and add it.

EDIT: @Misty I LOVE your game. But I thought about it, and unfortunately it doesn't fit into my ranking. It's something entirely different. Yours is not a single 7-second game but a whole collection of games on its own - and how it plays out is different too. If I had to compare yours to others in my list, yours would probably be on the first place. But I can't, sorry. I suggest you publish this game and share it in the games section on the forums. It's a nice game on its own!

Last edited:
M

Misty

@matharoo Dont forget Storyteller's game. He submitted too :p

Also I updated the GMCWare. Now it haves the speed increase for every new cycle it goes through. Also I added a scoring system.
I'm not understanding how to play the GMCWare. Is it an .exe or a GM studio editable file?

Oh I actually didn't play yours. I only played the ones in the GMCWare program. I'll play and add it.

EDIT: @Misty I LOVE your game. But I thought about it, and unfortunately it doesn't fit into my ranking. It's something entirely different. Yours is not a single 7-second game but a whole collection of games on its own - and how it plays out is different too. If I had to compare yours to others in my list, yours would probably be on the first place. But I can't, sorry. I suggest you publish this game and share it in the games section on the forums. It's a nice game on its own!
Thanks but, the rules say I'm allowed to submit three games. So you'll just have to pick which one is your favorite and give it a rating.

sylvain_l

ok just wanted to see the results out of curiosity :)

My main concern, is that there is no real unity in the inputs. (one game use w & s as input, an other x&z, one I think it was the space with the up&down... and I suspect one is with the mouse (well for now didn't manage to play it right/win it :p some are more then clear what input to use, some other a bit more cryptic).
I'm spending half of the time to get the right input keys under my clumsy fingers :D (not helpfull when thats a 7s game)