Game Jam The Micro Jam - THEME: Crazy Party

Aviox

Re: controls

My suggestion would be to restrict controls to concepts, not certain keys. For example:
Design a microgame that uses at MOST:
  • directional input (e.g. arrow keys, wasd, etc)
  • two action buttons (e.g. "a" and "b", or "z" and "x", etc)
  • a pause button
As others suggested, having pre-defined variables would make merging them much easier.

It needs to be simplified and revolve around one concept for the sake of the player. If one game uses the mouse, and the next one doesn't, there's no way the player would know that without informational screens before each microgame, and that's just silly.
Personally, an "arcadey" game like this would be ideal for controller support, so I'd consider removing the use of the mouse in hopes of providing controller support. It's a reasonable idea that most game designers need to work around. (It's good practice to think about controller support when designing a game)

Just a suggestion :)

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
a pause button
I don't think any player would want to pause a mere 7-second game, and it'd be an unnecessary task to implement a pause system in the same. There can be a "Press any key to play" screen before each microgame starts so that the player can stop & rest a bit if they want to.

John Andrews

Living Enigma
Hey! if I do an explanation of how the microgame works and then if you click a 7 second timer starts it still counts? or does it has to be 7 seconds overall push it overwhelming???????????????????????????????????????? :)

M

Misu

Hey! if I do an explanation of how the microgame works and then if you click a 7 second timer starts it still counts? or does it has to be 7 seconds overall push it overwhelming???????????????????????????????????????? :)
Has to be 7 seconds overall. Any explanations have to be placed in your game in some experimental way as possible (most Warioware microgames would use pictorical explanations that appear breifly in short time)

S

Storyteller

again, is it ok to have number keys for input?
do I need an onscreen keypad?
Multiple choice is too slow. Clicking is too slow really, its best to just take a text-box with numeric input and press enter.
Is this ok?

M

Misu

again, is it ok to have number keys for input?
Go ahead. Whatever are the results, depends on how people felt from the experience during the voting phase.
do I need an onscreen keypad?
Why would you? I mean if you being creative with the mouse usage, I guess yeah. Just to remind you though, this is a pc entry you making, not for mobile.
Multiple choice is too slow. Clicking is too slow really, its best to just take a text-box with numeric input and press enter.
.... What are you even talking about?...
Just to clarify, the theme is a "cut here" line?
If you cut open through that line, you'll find the theme on the other side.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
MISUMISUMISUMISU said:
If you like, you can set up a start menu or something.
I think there should be a rule about this. It would be inconsistent for one game to have a menu and have another one start immediately. So you need to specify whether we have to make a menu screen or start the game immediately. I think there should be a menu.

HayManMarc

I think there should be a rule about this. It would be inconsistent for one game to have a menu and have another one start immediately. So you need to specify whether we have to make a menu screen or start the game immediately. I think there should be a menu.
Has to be 7 seconds overall. Any explanations have to be placed in your game in some experimental way as possible (most Warioware microgames would use pictorical explanations that appear breifly in short time)

M

Misu

Because that applies for the independent exe files (forgot to specify that). This wont be used for the GMCWare. When i say a small menu, i meant something that tells you to start the microgame because the micro games will tend to play immidiately and ends quickly, not giving enough time to truly evaluate them. But this is just optional. You dont really need to do it if you dont want to.

S

Storyteller

for our judgeable exe or whatever
lets do:
  • screen with a 'go' or 'start' button, explanation etc
  • then the 7 second game
  • and a final results page
these wouldnt be in the gmcware app, just our entries. so its not 'double click... 7 seconds... app closes'

This will give adequate room for explanation and result display, both of which would be incorporated in the final multi-game. But for now, the 7 second room, is your game, and the other two are scaffolds. I think this will be a useful format to follow for this jam.

M

Mocgames998

Misu, I've got several questions:
1. Should we factor in multiple difficulty levels for the games, like WarioWare?
2. Should we also factor in a variable that increases the game speed every X microgames played, like WarioWare too?
3. WarioWare does have 10-14 second microgames as well, usually reserved for IQ based ones from Orbulon's stages. Would games longer than 7 seconds work for these?
4. WarioWare games usually have "boss microgames" with no set time limit every X stages. Or are we just focusing on regular microgames?

M

Misu

@Storyteller You can do it in any way you want it. What matters is the microgame itself when evaluating.

1. Should we factor in multiple difficulty levels for the games, like WarioWare?
Good question. This is simply a jam to make a single microgame. The purpose is to show the idea of the microgame. If you really like to add different style difficulty to each level, for that we have to make arrangements to the format of the entries (which I think its a bit too late to do that). If I ever start a second version of this jam (if this one becomes a success) I will apply those changes to it.

2. Should we also factor in a variable that increases the game speed every X microgames played, like WarioWare too?
I was gonna apply speed change for the ticker in the GMCWare myself. If you guys want to provide your own speed change to some aspect of your microgame, you could although you need to specify it in a create event with a comment along side.

3. WarioWare does have 10-14 second microgames as well, usually reserved for IQ based ones from Orbulon's stages. Would games longer than 7 seconds work for these?
The idea of the jam is to experiment and test your creativity and programming skills base upon a limited standard or challenge. Rules are clear to use 7 seconds. However, if you like to set it to more than 7 seconds, go ahead but voting will be affected.

4. WarioWare games usually have "boss microgames" with no set time limit every X stages. Or are we just focusing on regular microgames?
Just a microgame. I didnt started this idea to make a WarioWare clone, even though I am making a GMCWare to run every microgame chained. But the GMCWare thing is just to provide a better commodity when trying out the entries (since each entry will end very quickly). The whole idea of this is an experimental jam that tries out a specific kind of game concept that we can all enjoy and fascinate trying out for once.

Perhaps, maybe, I dunno, if you guys really like to provide all these structures to build up the GMCWare to be like an actual WarioWare clone, thats up to you guys.

M

Mocgames998

Maybe I took my ideas too far...
Anyhow, if a speed variable is implemented, I assume it will just alter the room speed, because a speed multiplier variable would complicate matters setting individual movement variables, right?

M

Misu

Note, Im actually planning to upload a base project folder so you guys can use that with some of the adjustments for you to easily implement your project. It will come with the speed variable and timer variable in it as well.

C

CHOPSTEEQ

I'm in! This is an awesome concept for a GameJam. It'll allow new users to make something and get that accomplishment, while allowing veteran developers to really apply themselves to try and get an impressive experience condensed into a few seconds. It's also great that you budgeted a weekend for it to allow as many people as possible to participate, despite it being such a short project.

All in all, I'm looking forward to working on this Friday, and I'm hoping we'll have a MicroJam 2 on our hands in the future.

M

Misu

Okay So I have here the Base Project file for everyone to use to build their entries in it.

This comes with its own Main Menu display and loop so that it can play back the microgame automatically (so you dont have to go to the trouble of making one on your own)

This also comes with the important variables needed to run for the GMCWare system. Here are some things you need to know that is important:

Super Saiyan Misuchan Warlord from another Dimension said:
- Inside object sys_obj has the timer, speed, and entity variables for you to adjust if you like. They are located in UserDefine0 event.
- DO NOT change anything else inside sys_obj except those.
- Whenever you win your microgame (pass it) you set global variable VICTORY to true, otherwise, leave it as false (or 0).
- Whenever your microgame ends, you should wipe all your created objects for your microgame inside the script instance_destroy_all()
- You dont change the room apparently... you gonna have to assign all instances using instance_create I'm afraid. Only one object you have will spawn them for you and will be your main object that you will input in variable ENTITY in UserDefine0 event on object sys_obj
Any suggestions or feedback on this folder, do reply before the Jam begins so we can make some adjustments. Also do take the time to check this folder out and familiarize with the contents to better ease yourself when the jam begins. :)

EDIT: It appears nobody haves the font I use for this project so Im gonna have to suggest you all to change the font to either Arial or Comic Sans (yuck) and set the size to 100.

DOWNLOAD BASE PROJECT FOR GMS1

DOWNLOAD BASE PROJECT FOR GMS2

The orginal GMCWare folder that I have will use another font. This is what the font I am using looks like:

Last edited:

JackTurbo

I'm moving house next weekend so am pretty busy this weekend, but I'm hoping I can find the time to make one entry.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
I have a feeling I'll mess it up. Too much hassle for a 7-second game.... but I guess it's fine. I'll go with it. :)

S

Storyteller

i have some final projects this weekend, I will try to set aside at least 8 hours for mine, more if I can, but school takes precedence.
This one teacher doesn't release assignments until right before they are due, inconsistent syllabus etc, I didnt know
Id have more finals come up.

I'll try to get something in, at least it will help me jump start my GUI code library :)

M

Misu

@Misu -- what is the name of that font? (so I can download/install it)
You wont be able to download it unless you buy it or already have it purchased. Its from NAL's font collection.

I'll try to get something in, at least it will help me jump start my GUI code library :)
Btw, Storyteller, suppose the system only allows Draw event unfortunately. If you gonna use GUI events, you could try adding the following code underneath that one line in DrawGUI End event in object sys_obj that says "//ONLY USE DRAW EVENTS" :
Code:
with(obj_thatUsesDrawGui_name) event_perform(ev_draw,ev_gui);
Not sure if it will work, but I highly suggest checking it out before the jam begins.

John Andrews

Living Enigma
Oh gravy here we go

@Misu ! I had a problem when importing the GM1 file (.gmz) This error message appeared :(

Exception reading assets from GMXFile "Config :: Configs\Default"
Man do you know a solution to this?

S

Storyteller

@Misu I just meant general textboxes and such, I need to build some text display stuff, but I can do that all in Draw itself.

M

Mocgames998

Should we rename our sys_obj objects, or are you (Misu) doing all of that?
I know to change the user_obj_1 object's name.
Also, does the entire microgame function under one object only?

M

Misu

Should we rename our sys_obj objects, or are you (Misu) doing all of that?
Suppose you dont since that is just a system object that will handle most of the display before a microgame is played. Which means the only thing you can modify is the definition of those three variables in UserDefine0 Event.

Suppose you make any changes to your "user" resources.

Also, does the entire microgame function under one object only?
If you want to do that, yes. Although suppose you could use various objects for your microgame BUT you have to spawn them manually by using your MAIN object (which would be user_obj_1) instead of placing them in the room. Its due to the timer applied in the sys_obj that needs to take a moment of pause to display the 3 second countdown. \

I had a problem when importing the GM1 file (.gmz) This error message appeared :(
I dunno if I should ask you this but are you using a free version of GMS1 or a cracked?

M

Mocgames998

Suppose you dont since that is just a system object that will handle most of the display before a microgame is played. Which means the only thing you can modify is the definition of those three variables in UserDefine0 Event.

Suppose you make any changes to your "user" resources.

If you want to do that, yes. Although suppose you could use various objects for your microgame BUT you have to spawn them manually by using your MAIN object (which would be user_obj_1) instead of placing them in the room. Its due to the timer applied in the sys_obj that needs to take a moment of pause to display the 3 second countdown. \

I dunno if I should ask you this but are you using a free version of GMS1 or a cracked?
One thing that's confusing me is that I noticed the microgame ENTITY variable is hardcoded into event_user(0) of the system object, correct? Or will the ENTITY variable be changed into a randomized array when all the games are compiled together?

M

Misu

One thing that's confusing me is that I noticed the microgame ENTITY variable is hardcoded into event_user(0) of the system object, correct? Or will the ENTITY variable be changed into a randomized array when all the games are compiled together?
Good question. On that file you all use will be hardcoded but on the orginal one that I will use to pass your games will be set to arrays. You dont need to worry about that. Its mostly something I deal with. ;)

M

Mocgames998

Good question. On that file you all use will be hardcoded but on the orginal one that I will use to pass your games will be set to arrays. You dont need to worry about that. Its mostly something I deal with. ;)
That makes more sense. Thanks!

M

Mocgames998

My game goes here:
HIDE & (Not) Seek
Hide the "party" going on at your house when your parents walk in. Only uses the space bar!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1pohu19uzzrOHJhbEFLZ05sTnc
Also, here's a screenshot!
(Along with that, this is also my first game using GMS2)
skreenie.png

Also, one last redundant question:
The game speedups for every one will be handled by the compiled GMCWare program itself, just like the randomized array correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
C

CHOPSTEEQ

Hey quick question: we're not suppoes to manually edit the user room, right? So if I want to set a background in there, I need to do it through the code?